Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need tindeck or youtube, the OST is engrained into my brain.

Also, don't forget that if you literally run into an enemy either their group or yours gets scattered hap haphazardly rather than compactly like your fight did... or maybe you did and the enemy got scattered.

Either way, I'd suggest running into them, I don't think there's any AoE effects that you'd want to get hit with anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Do you have the Japanese book with huge spoilers?

Speaking of that, how about a challenge, use the canon teams for the final bosses.

including slime

e: nevermind, forgot one was solo in canon, I'm not that cruel.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 10, 2013

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

RosarioImpale posted:

Absolutely thrilled to see someone LPing this; I was downright obsessed throughout my early gaming years. I still go back once in a while to read Essence and I always end up learning something new.

From someone called Rosario Impale.

Can't wait til you get to the weird stuff. Then again this is one of the weird chapters.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Couple things to remember:

If I recall right, Katanas are described as "knife" near the attack power. Or maybe it's "sword," either way it's described oddly, but usually the fancy names give them away.

Also, gun techs and spells are never sparked, but learned after battle. Also you need the gift for magic and yadayadayada.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Riki's scenario is the meanest all around. It starts difficult, gets worse, has a couple dick moves within it if I am remembering correctly, and then pulls a couple massive dick moves at the end in a sort of wicked one-two groin-punch. It's awful.

A one-two punch you say? that's like a combo... a... combo... combo. combo! :argh:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Einander posted:

At the risk of a minor derail... I'm curious about that last remark. SF2 damage between arts and spells isn't balanced at all. Even if you rush right to endgame damage magic and understand that lower JP = higher spell damage, weapon arts start out equal and only get better, so spells are relegated to support. Absurdly powerful support (Automatic on-death resurrection on everyone all the time!), but support.

Unless you're counting Hybrid Arts as spells, in which case it swings right around in the other direction. :v:

I'd interpret it as most weapons having durability in SF2, so being wary about using them to some extent, whereas using spells didn't deplete the durability of items used to cast.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Ardeem posted:

You have a { where you need a [ in the YouTube link.

Also, one step closer to :black101:

2 steps closer to :black101::black101: to be precise

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Funktor posted:

How did I miss that weapons shop?! HOW DID I MISS THAT WEAPONS SHOP?!

seconded. I don't think I've ever seen them. I know of the other mech, I think a Hermes type that is there, but not those two. Are they just for Emilia?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

The stuff does kind of break the bank though unless you take advantage of a certain glitch :getin:

Everything breaks the bank unless you game the system.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You went to Devin and started the rune quest... then you got to Kyo? Is that possible? Doesn't something happen after you get the first rune? Or is Emila exempt and it happens after the second?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

2 or 3 more dangerous places than Mu? I was about to sarcastically say the third most dangerous being the inn, then I remembered Plot with a capital P making the third.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fei-on also joins you here. In case you need a third person with adequate martial sparking skills to break the game over your knee.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Department of Suplex Corrections

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Come on dude, Don't Stop Chokeslamming.

Damnit, I hear that to the tune of "Don't stop believin'"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember early on just getting lost in the Sewers, without context or goal or starting the rune quest... and getting to the cave. And getting through the cave. And at the end just having worm broods hopping on me every time I enter the final room.

Delicious Sugar Crunch!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Will your recap include the obtuseness of the 'good/bad' ending branch off point?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

... WACKY hijinks.

Don't forget the Power of Friendship

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I sort of thought it was the guardian diety of Yorkland, like the amulet she just got from Mondo. Incredibly angry at the lack of self preservation sense and deciding to kill the group before they do something even stupider... i.e split up and look for Joker while Emelia jumps in the shower or something or runs from Joker while breaking a heel.

Also, villains and monsters are genetically drawn to construction sites and churces. Diva could just have been going there to lay her eggs or something.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 22, 2013

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

zakharov posted:

Please do Yorkland soon. That's the only part I liked when I was trying to figure this game out as a kid.

It would have been better to do the rune quest with Blue. I know Emelia was railroaded in the other direction, but the fun of Yorkland is lost on Blue His text never seemed to change during the progression, so it took 2 or 3 more quests before I realized that it was worth the drinks. also he's a dick to Fei On like no one else is.

I haven't played the game in years, but I was smacking my head at the fact you didn't talk to the skeleton first. :spergin:

Did you mention before that when you are in the middle of one Arcane or Rune's quest you're temporally locked out of the other? Namely, if you got a card or a rune, you couldn't recruit from the other branch? Such as Gen or the Doctor. Since you didn't start the quests, you're free to get them.

Finally, does anyone know if that fresco is an actual piece of art? I swear I've seen it before, but could never identify where. Reminds me of something like Raphael.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

This is the true SaGa Frontier experience, especially if you're American and thus have limited access to Essence. SaGa Frontier is really a game you play for the battle system music more than any sort of story.

Edited a slight typo for you.

Don't you just love the Skeleton Dance!?:sun:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Dugan Nash posted:

You technically can do that if you lose the big showdown with him later on. There's actually a few weird things that happens if you do. Such as if you buy up all the goodies that lower your LP in Mosberiberg then lose to Rouge, you get to keep the goodies but Rouge doesn't take the hit to LP that Blue took.

For this scenario are you going to show off/exploit the multi-cast glitch? Shouldn't really be nessecary, this is one of the easier scenarios overall.

Also, related to this, if you choose to have Blue learn physical attacks and let Rouge win, you'll lose them all, if I remember right, in case you did that to exploit a glitch

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

(the third just kind of hangs out in every bar in the game for no apparent reason)

So that's Gen's back story and why they sploded Wakatu

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I love the Shield Quest.

"Let's go on patrol... to the middle of a Hellish mountain range... for a flower..."

Thanks again Essence for explaining that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Raitzeno posted:

Keep in mind that this is a police agency that has a mute that cosplays as a butterfly and an effectively-mute furball on the squad, in addition to at least one majorly crooked cop and probably several others that get even less screen time. This is not exactly the elite of the elite, here.

There is one other member, one who is actually competent, I might add. Won't be seeing that individual for a long time, if dude keeps to his order of scenarios.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

:stonk:

I don't suppose any of the other Fiends from FFL show up later on?

Genbu is a regular encounter.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

There's a few underlying mechanics that make them usable in endgame situations. Unfortunately, there's really only a handful of forms that are halfway usable (and stable - monster stability is the big endgame hurdle, you want a monster that won't change from its uber-powerful form into a Slime) so despite the fact that monsters start out recruited in a wide variety of forms, you're going to end up finishing the game with a swarm of one or two monster types.

Speaking of that, I hope Dude goes to show the one form that never shows up in the normal game, except in that one final fight I've tried to make it multiple times, but just got sick and tired of trying to get the necessary skills.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think its mentioned in Essence, but I wonder if the reason for their difference is a plan to see which would serve their plans better; nature, vs. nurture?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think everyone whose played this game is thinking the same thing as I am... how much is that 40 hit combo worth? Is there a cap to it?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

The annotations on the video mentioned that it should deal around 180,000 damage. But damage displays cap out at 65000 thousand so it wrapped around like 3 times.

Edit: also for those who are just tuning in, there's an update at the bottom of the previous page that demonstrates how Blue breaks the game over his knee.

Not damage wise... that... other thing. :argh:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Nakar posted:

Because SaGa. :psyduck:

I think its been said before, but that would make an excellent alternate title to this (or any) SaGa threads.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Asellus, just to show how brutal this game can be at the start.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

As far as this game goes, the only thing worse than playing as Riki is playing as Riki last.

I made that mistake once, and never again.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dude789 posted:

Generally I like to buy Space magic and recruit Time Lord. That way you get the best spell from the Space magic set while still allowing yourself all the gamebreaking possibilities of Time magic.

In addition, Kylin is a monster, meaning that you could lose some of his spells forever if you screw things up. Also, since he's a monster type, that's just a third strike against him anyway as far as I'm concerned.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Tonfa posted:

I love this dialogue. :psylon: BEEP BOOP YOU ARE NOT USEFUL TO ME CONVERSATION TERMINATED

:psylon: BEEP BOOP QUERY YORKLAND'S CHIEF EXPORTS ARE STEERS AND **DATABASE CORRUPTION** BEERS WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

:cheers: Beer? don't mind if I do

:psylon: DIALOG TREE ABORT. ONE DRINKER IS ONE TOO MANY.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I can never remember which one Maxwell Program is. Is it the one that turns the Mec into a coffee grinder, or the one that turns it into a cheap-rear end craymel?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I always liked to think that the shop clerk is just too enamored with the other lizard to give half a poo poo about what you're doing.

"Hey, wait, what? You're selling me a bazooka? Sure take 7 more things from the back"

*8 hours later*

"Where's my bazookas? I should have 90 of them!"

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

I was always confused by this part. Is the game pretty much admitting that RB3 would have left everybody alone if T260G didn't stumble in HQ on his mission of self-discovery? Great going hero.

It's a sentient doomsday device. Though the reactivation of it's arch enemy is an immediate escalation DEFCON1, anything else could do it just as bad, and completely blindside everyone. I'm sure Trinity dicking around with the Cosmic Cube, whoever runs the Bio-lab, or some of the other final bosses would have eventually have set it off sooner or later.

Also, though it is somewhat easy to guess, Essence confirms "RB3" is short for Region Buster 3. As T260G says, it's basically the Death Star without the thermal exhaust port. For all the stupid things the Empire did, at least it only took them one revision to figure out "don't make your death machine with a glaring weakpoint." Whoever made RB3 took 2 tries.

Still, they're better at it than Dr. Wily, or the Gradius aliens (And probably SaGa's Gradius too).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

On the other hand, that glaring weak point is nice to have in case of machines turning against their masters.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Bio-lab is a Trinity project.

I don't know if whoever made RB3 thought that idea through. Since it's default setting is murder everyone. There is no, "Nuke everything but Devin" line of code in the DOOM macro or script.

And yeah, the lab is probably Trinity, but I don't think even Essence says it. It could be one other cartoonishly supervillainous group that we've yet to see.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The concise answer is a course on the Cold War at a local college.

Dead Hand was a very specific reference I made; it's the western name for Perimeter, an automated Soviet system designed to nuke the gently caress out of everything in the event that the Soviet Union got knocked off the world by (presumably) NATO bombardment.

No one knows if it is still operational. :tinfoil:

MAD is a perfectly valid (albeit insane) deterrent. But I don't think Dead Hand, or the US equivalent pre-aimed nukes on their allies and own country. In RB3's case, unless whoever made it lives beyond regions, it's murder-suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Lute's quest, oh man. I'm guessing most of us have screwed ourselves over in that one in a way that Dude will most certainly mention. Still, at least it only costs you like an hour of work.

And I think we're going to see that next. Exhibit A of "make a backup save if you don't know what you're doing"

e: I take that back, Exhibit A of "make a backup save even if you know what you're doing"

• Locked thread