Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

So I'm completely lost on the last key. I managed to get the Mark of Valdis for the Divine Key, but I have no clue where the hell to go to get Divine Dust. I've searched every single area I can think of and the only place that as far as I can tell is available to me is The Pit, but all that's down there is the Eye of Myrgato which I can't even hope to beat. Where the hell am I supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Magus was easy peasy with a little dark magic. I still wish I had a way to retry boss fights if I wasn't satisfied with my rank. I wasn't paying attention and didn't even notice he was so close to dying when I finished him.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Syndlig posted:

About the divine key.

I forgot which one is which, northeast of Isshk is an angel door that leads you to one part and then near the beginning of the game has a demon door and leads to another piece. Just go to the one you haven't been to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ew, this guy wants me to finish him off. Anyone know if there's a consequence to either killing him or not?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Ew, this guy wants me to finish him off. Anyone know if there's a consequence to either killing him or not?

A future fight will drop an item if you don't. It also makes that fight harder though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Souai posted:

Is there anything special about the small area in the sewer with the two breakable pipes that floods up a bit? I found a way to clip through the ceiling but it didn't do anything

You fight a boss there (that I assume you already defeated since he should be there the first time you enter) and the flooding lets you see where he is when he turns invisible.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I ended up not fighting him. Now I'm at some apparently invincible boss. All I wanted was to find the divine blacksmith and I ended up deep in these sewers and into some holy realm or some poo poo. I'm fighting a god's avatar and even displaying damage numbers the health does nothing.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Khanstant posted:

I ended up not fighting him. Now I'm at some apparently invincible boss. All I wanted was to find the divine blacksmith and I ended up deep in these sewers and into some holy realm or some poo poo. I'm fighting a god's avatar and even displaying damage numbers the health does nothing.

Haha, you need a certain item to do the Eye fights.

Kieyen posted:

If you kill him early on, he drops the a white feather to craft into a weapon. If you don't, he runs away and: he invades a dungeon that has some people hiding in it, eats them all, and it's an optional fight again. He's much, much harder this time because he'll summon ice witches at quarter intervals of his health. He drops the white feather also, but you're probably 80-90% done with the game by that point. Also the dungeon has a smith for neutral armor, who can also craft a "unique" armor, and a relic trader.

At what point in the game do you do the first form of this fight? I entered the sewers but didn't fight the boss there and he's not in the area above Tagrum.

Souai
Dec 16, 2007
Oh that's right. I was wondering at the time how to track the guy if you didn't have a bleed effect or something like I did. I'd discovered that room's mechanic later while looking for secrets and didn't connect it back to earlier.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So I'm just hosed? I wish it hadn't let me in this room for an impossible fight. My only choice is to reload a save, then?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Haha, after hearing about the thing with the Yeti, I decided to backtrack instead of heading to the Library, which was my next plot zone, in hopes of being able to fight it. One thing led to another and now I'm sort of breaking the plot all over the place with what are probably sequence breaking shenanigans. It's kind of hilarious, I'll walk into a place and all of a sudden that chick from the first village is with me, or I'll find some dude and tell him about my non-existent base in the Library.

You can do a surprising amount of sequence breaking if you try. Ice Pillar + aerial magic can get you to some wild places.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh, is ice pillar not supposed to be a standard way to get places? Maybe that's how I got into this impossible boss fight. I was in some ridiculously hard room with two big knights, two angels, and the weird goth fire-halo cowboy guy. I finally got them and activated the crystal but the only way up was to do the ice-pillar and wall-jump-away-and-grab-ledge thing. I feel like some areas and secrets wouldn't be possible to get without that technique.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Khanstant posted:

Oh, is ice pillar not supposed to be a standard way to get places? Maybe that's how I got into this impossible boss fight. I was in some ridiculously hard room with two big knights, two angels, and the weird goth fire-halo cowboy guy. I finally got them and activated the crystal but the only way up was to do the ice-pillar and wall-jump-away-and-grab-ledge thing. I feel like some areas and secrets wouldn't be possible to get without that technique.

The ice pillar is made to get around, but you can use certain aerial magics that reset your vertical speed to get places you aren't supposed to be able to until later.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dammit, evidently this is already too late. Man, this sucks. I don't wanna restart but now that I know about it it's gonna bother me forever.

Edit: Well it was bound to happen, I managed to break progression entirely. I wandered around some more deciding to just deal with losing the early Yeti, ended up fight Magus, killed her... Actually pretty easily, honestly, but the doors wouldn't open afterwards. I'll take this as a sign from the game to stop screwing around and get back to the drat plot.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 13, 2013

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

At what point in the game do you do the first form of this fight?

I did it after talking to the elder of the first village. Getting to the second village is probably too late.

Souai
Dec 16, 2007
Is there a secret to a less painful gardens boss S rank as Wyatt other than grinding a level or two? Just curious if there's a specific weakness or method to get better hit intervals in. I think I can get an S but it's been surprisingly annoying for me on this file. I think in my first run I stopped going for S at this point in the game.

Edit: Really wishing there was a way to force retry without dying against bosses, especially one without an easy suicide method like the gardens boss :(

Edit2: Yeah got it done with the light->upswing->lightx3->upswing reset, I was doing light->air heavy->light magic reset and running out of juice at the worst possible moments.

Souai fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 13, 2013

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Souai posted:

Is there a secret to a less painful gardens boss S rank as Wyatt other than grinding a level or two? Just curious if there's a specific weakness or method to get better hit intervals in. I think I can get an S but it's been surprisingly annoying for me on this file. I think in my first run I stopped going for S at this point in the game.

Edit: Really wishing there was a way to force retry without dying against bosses, especially one without an easy suicide method like the gardens boss :(

Attack once and then jump to launch yourself in the air. Attack until you land and then repeat. Launching yourself into the air prevents the roots from hitting you and losing your combo meter. Also you can stun lock him for some time doing that. When he goes to the top platform to turn into a statue and heal, kill the floating heads before resuming. If he goes to the bottom two platforms, he's going to launch a bunch of spores or teleport to another platform.

Maybe hitting him with magic will make him stop launching spores. I didn't try it with attack magic with Wyatt though, it's a guess now that I think about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

The ice pillar is made to get around, but you can use certain aerial magics that reset your vertical speed to get places you aren't supposed to be able to until later.

Thanks for the tip with the aerial magic. It's useful in lots of situations, sometimes you're just a pixel or two away from grabbing a ledge and that lil boost really helps. I wish the edge-grabbing and detection were a little bit more forgiving. Nothing is more annoying than missing a timed event or complicated sequence because you just flop at the wall instead of grabbing. I'm spoiled by Guacamelee's amazing controls I guess.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man this game's difficulty is really refreshing after how really easy (though cool) Guacamelee was. I love most of the platforming puzzles so far, except for a few in the Fire Temple place that make you go through like 4 screens if you gently caress them up. Then it's just annoying. I COULD backtrack later when I have more stuff but I'm finding most every puzzle can be completed the moment you get to them, though it can be tricky.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I really like this game, but a lot of the time (especially in boss fights) I feel like I'm fighting the controls as much as anything else. Especially on this dumb poison boss and his tiny platforms...

Edit:

Is this puzzle impossible right now, or something? Even when I get all the jumps perfect and start my charge on the gems in the exact right spots and hit the button right before it at the first possible moment, it seems like I'm always half a second short and I can't get in this last door.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 13, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is there a way to do a quick save I'm missing or do you seriously have to find a save room every time you wanna quit?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's Castlevania! It'd make more sense here if it weren't for the respawn system but welp.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah the jump controls are uh, weird to say the least.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah the jump controls are uh, weird to say the least.

You get used to it, eventually. It's always a little floaty and weird but it's not too difficult to get the hang of.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

That's Castlevania! It'd make more sense here if it weren't for the respawn system but welp.

I get that other games in the genre did it before, but that doesn't make it a good idea now, especially in a PC game since even netbooks have multi-hundred GB hard drives to store saves on. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just got this, it's ridiculous how ludicrously pretty it is. Has anyone finished it? How long is it, roughly? I got past the poison boss on easy, but then stopped - apart from him requiring me to use both my life potions, the game seemed easy enough for me to bump it up to normal, so I think I'll restart.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I get that other games in the genre did it before, but that doesn't make it a good idea now, especially in a PC game since even netbooks have multi-hundred GB hard drives to store saves on. Oh well, I guess I'll have to live with it.

It's a Metroidvania, you're supposed to balance pushing ahead to the next save room with the risk you might just die vs. going back to the last one and having to fight a bunch of enemies again... but the game could really do with a suspend save function (a save that gets destroyed when you load it, basically, so you can't use it to reload the game when you gently caress up but you can always just save and quit).

e; anyone know where the save files are kept? Want to delete my existing ones. Found it, turns out it's just in the ini in local appdata. Weird save system.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 14, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just purchased another one of those life containers and I still only have one pip next to my health bar. Did I get screwed out of materials? Can you have only one of those but the game allows you to buy multiple?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

the game seemed easy enough for me to bump it up to normal, so I think I'll restart.

Wait, you put the game on easy before even trying it? Do you do that habitually or because you heard us saying it was hard?

Edwhirl posted:

I really like this game, but a lot of the time (especially in boss fights) I feel like I'm fighting the controls as much as anything else. Especially on this dumb poison boss and his tiny platforms...

Edit:

Is this puzzle impossible right now, or something? Even when I get all the jumps perfect and start my charge on the gems in the exact right spots and hit the button right before it at the first possible moment, it seems like I'm always half a second short and I can't get in this last door.

There are two puzzles like this in relatively close area. I think this one you can either do the normal way by being perfect (you could have two masters scrolls by now btw, 3 with a certain armour). One of the puzzles you can cheese by abusing ice pillars. Going along from the bottom on that west wall is possible if you plant the ice pillar just on the edge of the available platform. You'll stick those annoying spike blocks, but you should land on top of the ice pillar and can make the wall jump from there.

edit: Any pointers on this one? There's also a chest in the previous room I can't get because I have no way of getting through spikes on a floor and ceiling together in such close proximity. I'm guessin I can get it later with some new power? This one I'm just at a loss for. Best I can think of is to dash and air cancel and hope it gets me to that edge, but I fail every time.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 14, 2013

Souai
Dec 16, 2007
On my first run I beat the last boss in around 8 hours, but I only had roughly 80% completion and only killed one or two optional bosses. I was up to around 94% completion at around 12 hours, but I missed some time sensitive stuff so I started a new file to hopefully fix those issues.

Speaking of that, anyone know for sure what the point of no return on losing The ishr village people is or what you can do to fix their reactor or give them a place to evacuate to? My new file just got the fourth magic rune, so I'm getting a little worried about passing it.

Are you sure you saw a real life container for sale Yodzilla? I thought it was a different trinket, that gives a flat bonus of 10 to maximum life or mana depending on type.

Is there an easy way to stock up on the angel sapphires or demon rubies? You seem to need way more of them to upgrade almost anything that you'd ever really find in normal play.

That puzzle is possible with the obvious method, Edwhirl. The last stone switch step is definitely the tightest; if you have issues you can come back after finishing the zone once you get another magic scroll if you can't tighten up the dodges you have from that last stone switch.

Edit: Also what is the afflication status? I got a +15 bonus to it but I don't see what that stat falls under.

Souai fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 14, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

but the game could really do with a suspend save function (a save that gets destroyed when you load it, basically, so you can't use it to reload the game when you gently caress up but you can always just save and quit).

I would be fine with that. I just don't like losing chunks of progress because real life interrupted and I wasn't close to a save point. That should not be a problem that pops up in an era where a game isn't stuck with a few KB of volatile memory for saving or a 1MB memory card shared between dozens of games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Wait, you put the game on easy before even trying it? Do you do that habitually or because you heard us saying it was hard?

I do that habitually. Saves running into a brick wall difficulty-wise while I don't know the actual controls, then I restart on a higher difficulty once I know how to play (unless it's a game where easy is brutally hard or whatever).

Speaking of, how the hell do you trigger an assist once you have one? :confused:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Left trigger in combat areas. I want to know how these guys level up. The first one you get I got to level 2 but I switched to the guy who gives you a bonus to your resistances. I seem to use him a lot but he still hasnt ever leveled up.

edit: I'm also in the crystal caves now fighting two bosses at once. It's not so bad I guess, just kind of annoying to have to run away from big clusterfucks of adds I can't do anything about when clustered. I think I might just have to not get an A on this one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As an aside, Reina's Aegis, despite saying it blocks all damage, still causes a penalty in rank because it reduces the damage to 0. It still counts as getting hit.

So, ah... don't count on it to save your rank, even though by all rights it should. Got robbed of an S that way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Questions:

1) How do you use your support character? It says in the controls that you press one of the trigger buttons but absolutely nothing works. Do I have to do something else?

2) And what's with the READY status or whatever on top of your armor icon? Does that just mean whatever ability the armor has is ready to be used even if it's a permanent buff to something?

And I still want to hear if you can have two life containers. I see in the screenshot above that he has two mana so I'm guessing the game just glitched up when I bought my second life jar. :saddowns:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
How does this game compared to Guacamelee and Dust? (which are both Metroidvanias I more or less liked).

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Is there actually a double jump in this game? A couple things look like it's expecting it, but I just beat this area I was at in my last post (don't have that chest yet. I got one master's scroll, but where's the other? Just the area, not the specific room.). But I haven't run into it yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

And I still want to hear if you can have two life containers. I see in the screenshot above that he has two mana so I'm guessing the game just glitched up when I bought my second life jar. :saddowns:

You can have 2 life containers at least. I have 2. Honestly I wish I didn't have any, but I have a need to open every chest. Extra life containers just make boss fights more tedious, I'd avoid getting them at all if I could remember which ones had them.

I don't think you bought any life potions, I don't remember seeing the option to buy them anywhere. I think you might be confused and be buying the life charms which just give like +10HP.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Khanstant posted:

I don't think you bought any life potions, I don't remember seeing the option to buy them anywhere. I think you might be confused and be buying the life charms which just give like +10HP.

Oh durr yeah this was it. Thanks.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Dang another update just hit. That's pretty cool that the devs are making fixes so drat quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

You need a power you get later in the game.

• Locked thread