Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Sadly, the only way you're going to find that is if you find the portions of your brain that remember Super Metroid and every Castlevania past SotN and take an ice pick to them.
Okay gotcha. That's what it looked like.

I'll just keep waiting for Dark Souls 2 then, I guess. And/or actual Metroid or Castlevania games that will never come because that style of game is dead except for indies (who often don't grasp the most important things about the genre but are fast as hell to yell METROIDVIANIA!!) and psycho developers like From.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I picked this up yesterday and have played through to delivering the spare parts to the other village, and it has proven to be surprisingly hard, but in the good way where mastery feels rewarding (though I'm still scrubby as poo poo at it). The bosses seem to be generally the type where the challenge is keeping track of a bunch of different things and not getting too greedy on damage. Thankfully, you can scum your way through bosses by burning a few deaths on learning their patterns and then do a good run on them. I've been using Reina since Wyatt looks lame, and my only real complaints are that it doesn't give enough information about mechanics like shield breaks (which thankfully the OP does) and having to fight things in the air sucks so far.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 5, 2013

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Id say La Mulana had some dreary sections and is probably more in line with what you want, but still not quite there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Uncle Wemus posted:

Id say La Mulana had some dreary sections and is probably more in line with what you want, but still not quite there.
Already played it (but I never finished it, gently caress some of those ridiculous puzzles, maybe I should just print out a faq and play it that way someday just to finish it), and Aquaria.

edit: and before you ask I also played Cave Story, though that's more like a combination of linear stages with a hub in the middle than a true Metroidvania.

edit again: oh and Shadow Complex, which ruled. This is my favorite genre of games, as far as I know I have at least tried basically every game in it. But around when Guacamelee came out, I realized that the definition of the genre had lost some key elements that were really important to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 5, 2013

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I'm a little lost now. I just got the wall breaking spell but don't know where to go after that.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Chaitai posted:

I'm a little lost now. I just got the wall breaking spell but don't know where to go after that.

It's been a while since I've played, but: At the right end of the sewers there's a wall you can break to get to some angels guarding a key. That will open a door in the top left area of the skyways.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I love this game. Beat it on normal with Wyatt, but I think I missed a boss, and I missed two assists. I only got two of the highest tier of demon souls, but three of the highest tier of angel souls, so I imagine I missed a demon somewhere.

Is there another boss in the sewers other than the guy you can choose to let live or die? I let him live and beat the first boss guy again while he was there (crazy fight) in the mines, and I beat the poison mist guy obviously. Is there a third I missed?

I'm going through it again with an Int/Luck Reina on Hard, pretty nice so far. I want full completion.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
So I can't get to the changelog since it was apparently only on the forums (which are down atm), but I got around to starting a new game now that Valdis Story is out on steam. Here's two very big changes that are easy to find though:
-Bonuses for beating bosses no longer scale with rank and are much lower.
-There's a spell quick-change menu when you hold block and magic at the same time.

And the next patch to come out will have:
-All time based events have been converted to be event triggered.
So you'll no longer have that one city die because you retried too many times.

I also got no retry S-ranks on every boss in Godslayer up until Shu Gohth, who killed me three times :suicide: gently caress that guy and his bullshit.

Tykero posted:

Is there another boss in the sewers other than the guy you can choose to let live or die? I let him live and beat the first boss guy again while he was there (crazy fight) in the mines, and I beat the poison mist guy obviously. Is there a third I missed?

That's every demon that drops a soul for crafting, yeah. You just get one more angel soul, I guess.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 6, 2013

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What the hell are you supposed to do to beat that poison spewing rear end in a top hat? Shu Gohth or whatever? For the life of me I can not do it because this is just such awful BS. I don't know if I missed a means to upgrade my stuff or something (not that I can backtrack because the devs seem to have a hardon for blocking backtracking unless you have double jump or something) but I can't even seem to really get him below half health.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nuebot posted:

What the hell are you supposed to do to beat that poison spewing rear end in a top hat? Shu Gohth or whatever?

He's actually pretty easy. Whenever he teleports somewhere, wait a second to see if he shits bubbles upwards, then go to him and whack him for two combos, then back off when he shoots a seed at the ground. Repeat this pattern until he starts going to the top platform to heal, then just wail on him as he's doing that. Rinse, repeat.

The important thing is to avoid his bubble attack, since that will often kick you down to the bottom of the room.

Shu Gohth is really there to teach you the importance of not getting hit by bosses, over just hitting them until they die while you stand there and take their hits.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

That's what I usually do. But his bubbles home in on you so they still hit me mid-air while I jump between platforms and send me down to the fuckhole anyway. So I wind up with no health or mana.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Count Uvula posted:

-There's a spell quick-change menu when you hold block and magic at the same time.

loving finally. Having to go into that menu and change your spells because you got caught in a boss fight you didn't know was coming and switching over and over again when you died was awful.

Count Uvula posted:

Also good. I'm all for player choice not being binary and just pushing a button and such but having absolutely no indication that dying is going to effect your game to such a degree is just bad design.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Is it just me or are the boss fights the worst part of this game? I have a lot of fun just comboing random chumps to death, but in the boss fights, it suddenly becomes a game of cat and mouse, except in this case instead of hiding, the mouse has a flamethrower.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They're not bad enough to ruin the game, but yeah, the devs seem to have confused difficulty with fun when it comes to the boss fights. Not that difficulty can't be fun, but it has to be a well designed level of difficulty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't like how so many boss fights have things that home in on your location.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They're not bad enough to ruin the game, but yeah, the devs seem to have confused difficulty with fun when it comes to the boss fights.

It's really baffling, since there are a few fights that are great like Azudor/Distahn->Soul Rage Azudor, which reminded me of Ornstein/Smough from Dark Souls. Admittedly that one came right when I hit the sweet spot for ludicrous heavy attack crits, but then it's surrounded with tedious bullshit like Magus or terrible platforming.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 6, 2013

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I think a big problem with the difficulty in platforming and boss fights (especially Magus) is the fact that climbing up a ledge takes a long time where you are incredibly vulnerable. They need to add invincibility frames to it IMO like many other platformers.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The boss fights in this game are pretty solid.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

djw175 posted:

Is it just me or are the boss fights the worst part of this game? I have a lot of fun just comboing random chumps to death, but in the boss fights, it suddenly becomes a game of cat and mouse, except in this case instead of hiding, the mouse has a flamethrower.

It gets a lot better when you have more cancels. Once you have 3+, you can play boss fights "properly" and just cancel through all their attacks rather than moving away (you don't need to dash when cancelling either, as a reminder - in fact, dashing will generally get you hit at the end of your dash, so try not to do it).

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
My Int/Luck Reina absolutely melted Soul Rage Azudor and the Ziggurat boss in about 10~15 seconds each. Easiest SSS ranks I've ever gotten.

The Magic Weapon staff is just bonkers. Hitting for 400~1000 damage is no joke. AND you get force barrier, AND you get a rad heavy attack.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The engineer's palace is starting to make me want to give up. I can't seem to find the Divine Dust or Mark of Valdis or whatever is contained there. Can anyone lend a hand as to where it is exactly? The boss is toasted, but wandering aimlessly now.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

fappenmeister posted:

The engineer's palace is starting to make me want to give up. I can't seem to find the Divine Dust or Mark of Valdis or whatever is contained there. Can anyone lend a hand as to where it is exactly? The boss is toasted, but wandering aimlessly now.

There's a room that, if I remember correctly, is about two rooms to the right of the boss room. It has two monks, a guardian angel, and a shield angel. There's a mana crystal in the top left of the room. Activate that mana crystal and head to the right side of the room. Use the Ice Pillar and double jump spell to reach the horizontal laser thing on the left and grab on, then ledge jump off of it to the right and up. Head right through the next room and into the one after it, dash through the fast grid of lasers and pick up the Divine Dust from the chest there. Activate the mana crystal, drop down, and exit the area on the right.

Sorry if that's vague. Tried to be as descriptive as possible from memory.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Tykero posted:

There's a room that, if I remember correctly, is about two rooms to the right of the boss room. It has two monks, a guardian angel, and a shield angel. There's a mana crystal in the top left of the room. Activate that mana crystal and head to the right side of the room. Use the Ice Pillar and double jump spell to reach the horizontal laser thing on the left and grab on, then ledge jump off of it to the right and up. Head right through the next room and into the one after it, dash through the fast grid of lasers and pick up the Divine Dust from the chest there. Activate the mana crystal, drop down, and exit the area on the right.

Sorry if that's vague. Tried to be as descriptive as possible from memory.

I know exactly where you're describing, thanks! Maybe I already have it then as I don't remember seeing a chest there.

edit: I picked it up hours ago and didn't see it in my inventory. I am a total idiot.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 8, 2013

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So there's a chest near the beginning of the Guardian Temple, under some dangling spike blocks and moving platforms. Above a skull and fire dude. Anyone know how to get this? Nothing I do seems to work and, IIRC This place collapses after I finish right? So there's gotta be some way to get this thing right?

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I just got the spell that lets you throw out and orb and teleport to it and I can't for the life of me work out where to go next. I'm spoiled by modern games waypointing everything but I can't handle this anymore, I feel like I've explored every avenue. Is there a good spoiler-free guide out there?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So there's a chest near the beginning of the Guardian Temple, under some dangling spike blocks and moving platforms. Above a skull and fire dude. Anyone know how to get this? Nothing I do seems to work and, IIRC This place collapses after I finish right? So there's gotta be some way to get this thing right?

The area that collapses is after the Temple. You need to comeback once you get I think the 4th(?) spell.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

The area that collapses is after the Temple. You need to comeback once you get I think the 4th(?) spell.

Alright, do I get some sort of double jump mechanic in the interim? Because this temple is a giant firey rear end in a top hat with boxes just out of reach no matter what I try.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Alright, do I get some sort of double jump mechanic in the interim? Because this temple is a giant firey rear end in a top hat with boxes just out of reach no matter what I try.

Nope, you get double jump in a later dungeon. Some of the chests you have to fall from a level above to get to.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Well that's a kick in the balls, and an excellent example of what I dislike about this game. Most of the puzzles just force you to run through half the map of annoying enemies so you can stand a chance of trying to fall right again. Its like being back in the first metroid, except the first metroid at least had better jumping. I totally cheesed that one room for the gobinu armor though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hashy posted:

I just got the spell that lets you throw out and orb and teleport to it and I can't for the life of me work out where to go next. I'm spoiled by modern games waypointing everything but I can't handle this anymore, I feel like I've explored every avenue. Is there a good spoiler-free guide out there?

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you don't have the Angel Key yet. If you enter the sewers from the first town you'll run into a rock wall early on, and behind that rock wall are a couple souped up angels guarding the key. The next area is at the left end of the Western skyway which you can reach easily from the third town.

Incidentally, has there been any word out yet when the other two characters are gonna be added to the game? Seems kinda weird you'd ship a game out when half the cast isn't even in yet.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 9, 2013

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So, who is this rear end in a top hat in The Pit and why do I hate this boss so much? I'm assuming very optional, but of course I want to beat it without grinding or having any real skill.

This game has a ton of faults and a ton of redeeming factors. The good far outweighs the bad, though, and the developers seem to be listening to feedback.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Prowler posted:

So, who is this rear end in a top hat in The Pit and why do I hate this boss so much? I'm assuming very optional, but of course I want to beat it without grinding or having any real skill.

This game has a ton of faults and a ton of redeeming factors. The good far outweighs the bad, though, and the developers seem to be listening to feedback.

There's a divine door in the frozen Crypt that has an accessory that makes that fight a lot easier. I had to unequip it for the other one of those fights though, I kept killing myself during the phase where she tries to heal :downs:

Thanks Internet fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 9, 2013

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Thanks Internet posted:

There's a divine door in the frozen Crypt that has an accessory that makes that fight a lot easier. I had to unequip it for the other one of those fights though, I kept killing myself during the phanse where she tries to heal :downs:

Cheers. I am at the point of no return, I assume, since I have all of the skills required to fill out the rest of the map.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would like a Metroidvania but when people discuss how good the recent crop are, they don't usually address the things I like about the genre. I don't care about in-depth combat systems and I don't care about difficult jumping puzzles. All I care about is, does it have that dreary, dark feeling of danger running all through it, and those moments when you pass something and are like what the hell is that? But after you get some movement-enhancing powerup later and come back, it all makes sense and you see the environment in a whole new light.

So, does this game have that stuff?

edit: I guess what I'm saying is, Guacamelee didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't dark, it wasn't dreary, I didn't feel like I had any danger to look forward to other than another group of enemies to beat up or some ridiculous jumping puzzle, and every movement-ability-requiring barrier was immediately obvious what kind of powerup I was going to get to get past it. And save points were extremely frequent so there was no sense of tension there either. There was no mystery or sense of exploration in it at all.
Might want to try Aquaria, it can be pretty desolate/dreary at times and is pretty acceptable. I don't really remember how its metroidvania angle worked.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

I don't really remember how its metroidvania angle worked.

You picked up different forms and additional songs (spells) to open up new areas. The game basically has two big hubs and you unlock access to other areas as the game goes on. Aquaria is pretty drat good (I really need to replay it again sometime.) There's a good chunk of secrets in each dungeon area that require other forms to get as well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Might want to try Aquaria, it can be pretty desolate/dreary at times and is pretty acceptable. I don't really remember how its metroidvania angle worked.

Aquaria is one of my favorite indie games TBH. The music is stellar and really sets the atmosphere while the controls are simple enough they never work against you. It's not really a hard game but there's enough to do. As someone above covered the main mechanic was your song ability where you could swap forms and use a few other abilities to do things and most puzzles required you to shift shapes to bypass obstacles. Revisiting past obstacles with new forms would let you get at new areas.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Count Uvula posted:

Ugh, so I'm guessing those "recently feasted on remains" were of a certain smith that could give me my other weapon? Ugh, don't give your players an option to "retry" without at least giving a hint there will be consequences. This goes for time based events, as well.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Good this means I can finally go back and try the game again with the new patch. I only found out about the time based issue and retries burning time after wasting a boatload in a stupid way. Sort of put me off knowing that I'd ruined my file with no warning.

Apart from that, game rocks pretty hard.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Prowler posted:

Ugh, so I'm guessing those "recently feasted on remains" were of a certain smith that could give me my other weapon? Ugh, don't give your players an option to "retry" without at least giving a hint there will be consequences. This goes for time based events, as well.

That smith made the best armor in the game actually. The angel smith is in the Western Skyway, to the right of the Magus boss fight. Just drop down at the left edge of that room and there he is.

That's about the most dickishly placed crew member in the game. I wouldn't have found the guy if an angel hadn't knocked me down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Prowler posted:

That actually isn't time based, already. The only time based one I know of is Ishk's civilians freezing to death, though I'm guessing the same happens to Hrukk if you retry like 500 times or something.

• Locked thread