Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Corbeau posted:

They said "not selling power," as far as I can make out historically. To me that means "you can't buy power that's unobtainable otherwise" ala LoL. I'd rather not have an IP grind but I don't know anyone who spent money on it in League. Skins, on the other hand...

Really though, EA's behind it. Expect to get screwed on the business model. Dawngate is probably the only beta agreement in which I really did read all the fine print. The game itself feels straight-up like League-but-better though, so I'm willing to put up with a League-based business model.

The problem with League's model was the horrible loving hamfisted rune page bullshit that literally exists just to be an artificial gate to buying more heroes and waste your time. SMITE has the same earn-points-to-buy-heroes thing going on and it feels a lot more friendly since it doesn't have rune pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm SATsurupettan in game if anyone wants to play. I just downloaded it tonight. :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I played a few games last night. I tried out that crazy dude who summons tentacles and the chick who makes herself bleed. I don't remember their names right now, it was pretty late!

I should preface this by saying I thoroughly enjoy DotA and Smite, and I am a bitter ex-League player.

Overall I like it. There's some nice features, like wards being baked into the character. UI feels fairly intuitive even without a tutorial, which is good. Map felt easy to learn. There doesn't seem to be arcane poo poo to learn in the game itself like DotA, which is either good or bad depending on your perspective. I'm not a good judge since I play multiple MOBAs depending on what I want at that moment in a game.

Aesthetically it feels like a prettier League. It really looks a LOT like League, but with nicer graphics. Some cool hero designs too. I also liked the voice acting, crazy tentacle dude was hilarious to listen to. He's like someone mashed Rubick and Invoker together.

Following fights seems a lot easier than League. The visual tells are noticeable and easy to follow. So I'd put it more in the DotA camp in this regard. Has League's issue of being insta-splattered in the late game by carries (whether you're ahead or not) unless you're a tank or build tanky. Though you can use your level 1/10/20 spells on mitigating this too.

I don't have the faintest clue how these sparks and poo poo work, but I hope it doesn't turn into an awful artificial barrier like League's rune pages. Time investment to unlock a hero looks comparable to Smite, in that it takes like probably 30+ games, but you don't have to deal with rune pages in Smite, so it's okay there. Really hinges on the sparks and whatever.

I haven't played enough to fully discuss hero balance and team fighting and ganking and all that, but it feels like crowd control is kinda... In between the DotA and League side of things. There are a fairly decent amount of CC effects and the durations are fairly short, but they cooldown quick. I was crapping out fears and 2s roots constantly later in the game. It felt a bit like playing a quas/wex invoker without EMP. I don't know if there's big 'teamfight ults'* like Reverse Polarity or Black Hole, but I can still see some nice wombo-combo setups happening like the tentacle mage guy's ult + that giant dragon thing from the dancer lady. Chasing felt hard for me, even as the crowd control mage guy, but that's probably primarily due to inexperience. I think once I'm better with him I'd be an inescapable rear end in a top hat.

I liked the hero design I saw/tried. At first I scratched my head a bit when reading some of the abilities, but in actual play it was very easy and intuitive to figure out how the two heroes I played functioned. Not so much ideal skill builds, but just how their toolkit works in general.

I think the game is fun and has some depth and potential. I want to see how it progresses and I'm going to play some more.

*I'm talking about those game-changing spells that can completely end a fight on the initiation if you pull it off.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 8, 2014

• Locked thread