Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Dizz posted:

Not having to buy heroes [I've been told they chose to keep microtransactions to skins only and maybe some other things, which means heroes may be spared.]

Who told you this because as far as I know the devs have been whisper-quiet on their monetization model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I played the beta for a short while so I guess I could give some impressions here. They might be a bit outdated since I haven't played in a few months.

I don't really find the unique stuff about Dawngate that exciting. Spirit Wells could be cool but they just give too many resources to anyone who raids them and they are really easy to raid. It's not really worth it to capture Spirit Wells because you're just giving the enemy another place to grab free resources and the bonus gold you get from the wells isn't enough to offset that. It's not worth defending these Spirit Wells either because even if you kill the raider, they come out on top resource-wise (there's no gold loss on death in this game). They'll have a bunch of gold and levels from raiding while you wasted time out of lane chasing them. Don't even get started on how bad a spot you're in if you try to kill them but they get away. It's better to just let the raid happen and push as hard as you can, so when they come back to lane they have to defend their tower while you raid their Well. The good news is that this can probably be fixed by adjusting the bounties of the workers and changing the map.

The other unique thing about Dawngate is the role system. Before the game starts you pick your Shaper and a role for them. The role changes the way you gain gold, for example one role gives more gold for killing an enemy Shaper and another gives more for killing minions. The point of the system, according to the devs, is that it allows people to put character selection before team position. Instead of going into a game with your heart set on picking your favourite carry but someone picks a carry before you, you can just select the Tactician role and play your favourite character as a support! I don't really feel strongly about this one way or another, it just feels like it doesn't change anything. At best it's superfluous, you don't need this role system to pick whatever Shaper you want and play them however it's needed. At worst it could be a nightmare to balance when one role+Shaper combination becomes too strong and they have to fix it without ruining the other combos.

The itemization system falls into the same trap League does. Items get more cost efficient as you upgrade them meaning that it is impossible to build towards an early game, midgame or lategame strategy. You just become more powerful at a linear rate. That's not exactly bad, just not as deep as an item system that allows you to build "greedy" or one that helps you close out a game by 20 minutes. What Dawngate does do differently about items is that there are no active abilities, which loving blows. Instead you get a spell slot every few levels and you pick from a pool of 10 or so abilities. The reason for this, according to the devs, is that A. people often forget to use activated items and B. the effect is limited to characters who can use the stats of the item. This really dumb because one of the things the devs tout about Dawngate's item system is that every stat does something for every Shaper. You're able to unlearn abilities for a price but the whole system just feels like an unnecessary limitation. We could be building towards six awesome actives from a list of dozens but instead they're handed out at set levels and they're on super long cooldowns and they're way too powerful. Ugh.

Dawngate does the "buffs on neutral monsters" thing from League, which is a bad idea imo. Putting a resource in the jungle that you can't get in lane makes jungling mandatory and goes against the devs' goal of having a flexible, fluid meta. The rune system in Dota isn't perfect either but at least you have to sacrifice exp and gold for the chance to make a big play with a rune. In Dawngate the buffs are just something junglers come across while farming and they don't have to sacrifice anything to get them.

There are also Loadouts, which are like rune pages from League except they're free and you can't customize them. You select them before the match to add a few stats and maybe a unique passive to your Shaper. They're supposed to define your character's playstyle but I don't see why these can't be turned into items. If these loadouts were items they would be less restrictive and you could change your playstyle on the fly. I feel like they only have these because League has them too but maybe that's just me.

Other random stuff: brush from League is in (and still sucks), everyone has a personal ward that lasts a few minutes and has the same cooldown (there are no counter wards btw), there's no mana (Shapers have resources like Rage, Energy, or are resourceless), towers respawn after a while (turtling is really easy).

Some good things about the game are that some of the Shaper designs are cute (Moya rules) and they all talk to each other while laning together and fighting and stuff. There's a lot of lore if you're into that kind of thing. Some Shaper abilities are cool.

I stopped playing a few months ago but I'm keeping my eye on it. The game has its problems but it's still in beta and the devs have time to fix them. Honestly 99% of people won't care about all this stuff I just wrote so if this game still looks interesting to you you'll probably like it!

Ahhpple fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 11, 2013

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

steakmancer posted:

Items are not more cost efficient as a whole the more expensive they are.

I guess I'm wrong, dunno where I got that idea. I stand by everything else I said though.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Hey I was gonna ask what everyone thought of the monetization model. Good to know most(?) people are disappointed. Too bad there are people out there who are willing to put up with and even enjoy this kind of system.

• Locked thread