Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Aatrek posted:

I am so uninterested in The Originals. I watched the pilot and am just not at all caring about the show. I've only ever liked Rebekah because of her thing with Matt, Klaus is just unbearable (which means I'm glad he's out of the regular TVD cast), and I've never really found Elijah compelling at all.

This, except I do like Elijah but the schizophrenic ADHD nature of the show has no place for him. You can't have a character whose entire persona is being the constant rock of a group when literally every other person in your story is constantly betraying them and everyone else.

I did like how they didn't bother to try humanizing Klaus for his own show, he's still the same loving rear end in a top hat he always was, but when it was over I had to ask myself why I even cared and it turns out I don't. At all. Not bothering with another episode.

I'll keep watching TVD because it's too far in to give up now, but I hope they don't start doing crossover stuff that's vital to the story.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

To me it felt like a tireless retread of stuff we've already seen. We saw most of this last season but that's not what I mean. It feels like they're just going to start retelling the same Klaus stuff we already know, such as him daggering/betraying his own family.

If you watched TVD you already know that, but now he's on his own show and they either have to commit to the belief that people have watched TVD and don't need to be told that, or they're going to have to retell/show the new people all the same stuff, and since the first episode was a straight up retelling it made me think that's the direction they're leaning towards.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Steve112sms posted:

I'm kind of confused about what Marcel's plan is. He wants to look into killing Originals, but that seems dumb to me. He can't kill Klaus because Klaus sired him. So he'd be killing himself and probably all of his friends.

Marcel doesn't know that though. Or shouldn't. I thought I was done but Supernatural is too painful to keep up with so you win by default Originals!

The girl being kept in the attic story line is weirdly Bonnie-esque, it's also weird how the witches said the entire city was their sweet spot but Bonnie had to practically stand on top of the bodies of her ancestors.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Stefan dude, Stefan.

I'm really god drat dumb because I made it through your entire post thinking "who the gently caress is Stephen?"

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Wow, I'm really liking The Originals, like even more than TVD at the moment. While the title (The Originals) is kind of stupid and I always hated Klaus in TVD because he was such a petulant child with Superman powers, they seemed to have effectively powered him down a bit since he's being forced to use his head now. I'm a sucker for scheming and plans within plans which TVD used to have a lot more of. And the writing, direction, and music seemed really good this episode.

Did they power him down though? I can't even remember what flimsy excuse they gave for Klaus not just murdering the gently caress out of Marcel? Did they even give one, or just get tired of coming up with them and stopped bothering?

I went from not liking Originals but still liking TVD, to disliking TVD but liking Originals. Originals is still suffering majorly from exposition though. That bloodletting scene was so forced and made Klaus look like a bumbling idiot for not hanging him upside down and cutting his throat.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

Klaus basically wants to retain Marcel's power structure by weakening Marcel's position and ultimately getting rid of him so he and his family can step back into the rightful place as the vampire royalty of NOLA. If he brute forces his way back in, that would end in pure chaos for everyone. They've repeatedly established that Klaus is one lonely fucker; hence his need for a makeshift hybrid family compelled to be loyal to him. With that route effectively gone, this is the next best thing available to him (Please nobody tell him Katherine is human again)

All of this would happen if he just murdered Marcel straight up though. No other vampire stands a chance against him, an entire army of Marcel's vampires wouldn't stand a chance (he was murdering groups of his own hybrids for crying out loud). Kill Marcel, what are the other vampires going to do about it but fall in line?

Okay, he wants to know Marcel's power structure...so bleed Marcel dry and then compel him for info? There's just no logical reason for any of this to be happening and I can accept it or look past it until they make it the crux of the whole story.

I feel like they need to really power him down or bring Elijah back immediately, to me Klaus isn't a compelling character but he's good for a laugh every time they start to do a redemption arc then just pull the curtain out from under the viewers. I'm not even being sarcastic, it's genuinely funny how they keep doing it and every time you think he might choose Door #2 then nada.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

It feels like there's two writers for the show, first writer gets to write all the dialogue which I really like. I like watching Klaus/Elijah/Rebekah just talk to each other, but then there's some other writer who's writing all the scheming and intrigue and it rarely ever works well with the characters you were just watching talk to each other.

So basically some writer keeps throwing poo poo up into the air, breaks on the floor, another writer picks up the pieces and puts it all back together only to have the other writer come back in and throw it up into the air again. Over and over.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

KilGrey posted:

So if the two doppelgangers are supposed to be together then wouldn't Stefan have fallen madly in love with Katherine? He's never been able to stand her. Granted, there is good reason but it pretty much disproved the 'fated' to be together schtick.

If the doppelgangers always ended up together wouldn't Klaus have seen a Stefan version by now? The Katherine version can be excused because she got vamp'd and it extended her copy, but Stefan/Katherine didn't meet for hundreds of years after that.

Also the whole point of the doppelgangers is to get around the no one being immortal witch bullshit, but all 3 doppelgangers have been vamp'd which gets around no one being immortal...?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

rainbow kittens posted:

And you know, if she's powerful enough to come back from the Other Side, maybe she can pull some of our favourite characters back from it before she destroys it for good. Namely Alaric and Lexi. And Bonnie, I guess.

If Alaric/Lexi staying dead is the price we have to pay for being rid of Bonnie then so be it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

What happened to the Original Dad again? I remember they were running from him and I think they still did even after Klaus' curse was lifted, but I can't remember what happened to him or anything he did.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I hope I'm not the only one who's taken time out of an episode to count Klaus' moles, last episode I couldn't unsee them and counted 8 just on his neck and face. Hope he's keeping melanoma checkups routine.

This post of viewer cancer awareness brought to you by Andy Whitfield syndrome :argh:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Everything about the episode was bad excluding Caroline. I can only take the Bonnie stuff as the showrunner trolling me at this point. You kill her and still somehow make her take up even more of the story and be just as annoyingly selfish as a ghost? Ughhh.

Also how many drat traditions can one town have?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

This was the best episode of the season, finally answering all the questions we needed to know.

I agree it's heavy on exposition but I think that's where the show is strongest. The choices the characters make and the twists are where it's the worst, but when they actually stop to talk about poo poo some of the good acting can sell you on stuff that is either flimsy or sometimes even mind numbingly dumb.

I don't think it's going to but I'm really hoping it avoids the TVD sickness that is 'must top the previous threat with something even older and more powerful!'. They've already introduced the super power witch, next season we're due up for a witch vampire, then a vampire witch werewolf hybrid. You just know that poo poo is coming.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Isn't Tyler the most powerful person on TVD now that Bonnie is dead and Silas doesn't have mind control? They've almost managed to pull a Caroline with him and make him start liking him.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I really don't want to be overly negative considering we're on season 5 and I've known it the entire time, but somebody needs to take away the god drat reset button on deaths. I'd seriously pay $10 to somebody going back and just counting up how many times someone's been dead to not dead. There's no way it's under 25 bare minimum.

At this rate there's absolutely nothing that can happen on this show that I feel one way or another about. Did somebody die? Who cares they'll come right back. If not they'll annoy the poo poo out of us as a ghost. Or the xeroxed copy will show up. Characters that should be gone aren't (Bonnie), and characters who shouldn't be gone are (Rick / Tyler).

I am Jack's raging apathy.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, I can't be mad at it since the show has always done it, you'd just think by now one of the writers would have gotten bored and gone "you know, we've done this same exact thing at least 25 times by now, maybe we should try something different".

I don't know how Alaric would fit in still being around, they could have just left him crazy. Crazy Alaric was the best Alaric. I actually like Tyler unlike everybody else seems to, I don't think he's going to try to kill the baby but definitely Klaus.

I'm pinning all my hopes on Originals now, to me it's getting better by the episode while TVD gets worse by the episode.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 2, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I put off watching last night's until today and expected to come back to at least a few posts laughing at the ridiculous music in episode. When Rebekah/Marcel start having sex and the end montage were both :wtf: music selections.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Whole episode goes by and no comments for days. You're all Bonnies. All of you.

8 episodes into the season and Klaus finally does what he should've done in the first episode, just take it from Marcel who stood no chance. Davina not being there because of some stupid reason invalidated most of what we've seen as well.

It would also help if they ever managed to actually show any of these characters doing something other than plotting and scheming. Off hand I can remember one scene of Klaus and Elijah reading but that's it.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

In a lot of ways Klaus is the only believable immortal character I can think of off hand. So much years alive with a perfect memory and never being able to forget betrayals (both ones he commits and ones committed on him) leads to a superbly paranoid, psychotic person.

On the other hand it's not fun to watch for 3+ seasons (beginning on TVD). He's had no growth whatsoever in 75+ episodes of a TV show and it's just gotten boring as poo poo to me.

I can recognize that to be 'realistic' any growth of his has to start slow but this is a dumb teenage vampire show so I don't need realism, I need entertainment and it's dropping the ball big time on that front.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Wezlar posted:

I just don't know who I'm supposed to get behind in this show. Klaus is boring and evil as hell, Rebekkah and Elijah are just idiots. Haley is a prisoner plot device, Tyler has been in two episodes and was the bad guy?

Marcel should really be the main character.

I don't either. People in the thread called it that Tyler would show up and try to hurt the baby but I didn't believe it because the show spent the last 4 seasons turning Tyler into a decent guy from the shitbag he started out as, only for him to show up as a psycho baby murderer. Sure Klaus killed his mom but the baby didn't do poo poo to him.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why they couldn't just politely allow Silas and Imara to die? It seemed pretty ludicrous that they decided they needed to keep them alive and that it was supposed to be a source of tension. I didn't understand that plot at all. Just let them die.

You could pay me a million bucks and I still wouldn't be able to tell you 75% of whatever that story line was.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

The unironically best thing about TVD is that even if it's a completely worthless storyline it doesn't matter because they'll forget about it entirely within a few episodes.

We're only 8 episodes into the season and they've already dropped it and started up the nazi researcher big bad.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

rainbow kittens posted:

Marcel mentioned Davina in the same episode that everyone is complaining about her being absent from. Her magic is getting stronger and more and more unpredictable (and it is not at all controlled), and every time he attempts to remove her from the church, her magic goes postal (perhaps has something to do with all the church boys slaughtered there - or it being closer to the point of no return with the harvest ritual?) Even if Marcel could remove Davina from the church, I'm pretty sure he didn't want her anywhere near the showdown in case she decimated everything and everyone. I also don't think he wants to abuse her power because she is, after all, just a kid, and he did go on his lecture about keeping kids safe.

We know he did, it was just a stupid excuse. The only thing I can remember about Davina not leaving the church is when Marcel tried to get her to but she talked him out of it because she'd struck a deal with Klaus, not any mystical reason she couldn't leave. Also even if there was he could've just scheduled his stupid plan to take place at the drat church.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, it opens up a few more roads down the future. I can understand why they didn't have Davina there since if Klaus just beat every conceivable thing it'd be even more pointless than it is now, it just felt really hamfisted "oh btw my yamamoto gun can't be here".

I can't tell if they just dropped the whole human plotline or if they're slowly building up to it, but I want to see what the priest/humans have in their corner.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

They really have no idea what they're doing with Rebecca/Elijah do they? We're 12 episodes into the season and they're still just an entirely one dimensional trope. Rebecca's monologue to Marcel about "you would throw away everything for the hope of being with me!" is so repetitive it's just nauseating. Then they have to drive home how Elijah is the family oriented one and that's all he is, can't possibly be anything more than a romance stricken woman and a super loyal man. No sir.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Caroline/Stefan being friends might be the only thing on the show I even like anymore. They really do a good job of showing us that it's an actual friendship, not just two characters repeatedly telling us they're friends despite clearly having no reason to be but the plot demands it.

A much better show would take their friendship and build off it, but this is TVD and I fully expect Caroline to have an epiphany one episode about how Stefan is her ~one true love~, betray everyone in a hackneyed plot to trick Stefan into putting Elena's life in danger leading to a penultimate showdown in which Stefan has to choose between them, only for the season to end with all of them awaking from a fever dream realizing none of it (including the original Caroline/Stefan friendship) ever happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Bonnie/Kat Graham is such an amazingly lovely actress it's almost breaking the laws of probability that she would've managed to actually have one good acting scene by now, but nope Stefan dies and she's still face acting the poo poo out of it with her dumb constipated face.

They managed to turn Klaus from godlike to "what WON'T hurt him now?". Season two he'll get floored by the common cold.

• Locked thread