Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been going back through baldurs gate and will be doing baldurs gate 2 shortly. I'm really, really, really, REALLY wanting a continuation of that level of depth, character, storytelling, strategy, and immersion. They came super close with DA: Origins with the strategic play and interesting characters, but fell short with bland repetitive enemies and class imbalances. DA 2 took three steps back with its shoehorn plot, recycled areas and lack of character.

I really hope DA 3 goes back to its roots and gives us a more polished and complex DA 1 with more depth as seen in BG 2. I feel like they had a chance to make another epic franchise and dropped the ball. With this being the supposed last one, maybe we can get that BG level game by focusing on what made BG and DA 1 good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

It did not help that the first act was better than the second and especially the third act. Still, it is always a good idea to wait a week before buying the game. Some goons will probably preorder the game in any case, and we can hear what they have to say. If it is really bad there will also be uproar in the Bioware forums. Rome 2 looked and sounded awesome, and look how that release turned out.

And you should never fear to miss anything important by not preordering. If there is sufficient demand then any preorder bonus will be made available per DLC, and I would rather spend a bit more money for a DLC than buy a game which could turn out to be the next Sword of the Stars 2.

Edit:

And still the choice at the end of Throne of Baal was a single text choice. Option 1 and you become a god, option 2 and you stay mortal. Your choice makes no difference to the characters except for your sister or you love interest. Kind of like ME3. The different endings of DA:O felt more natural in my opinion. And class balance, well at least you cannot use time-stop traps in DA:O.

Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale are some of the best RPGs of all time (and look better than the drab DA games), but they still had flaws.

You're absolutely right they had flaws, and I'm not glossing them over. But you can't deny that they had a MUCH better story telling and immersion factor, even for their generation. I can't help but feel that if Black Isle made Baldurs Gate in 2008 or so, it WOULD be much deeper and better because they obviously genuinely cared about the game. They used the tools available to them at the time. I mean the AI was horrible, and some of the interface was unintuitive, but goddam if it didn't suck you in and make you feel powerful. ANd the fights were actually challenging, you had to be tactical or you lost, just like in DA:O.

Speaking of which, where can I find Icewind Dale for cheaper and is Planescape: Torment the same company?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

Just a heads up, Planescape: Torment is VERY heavy on the role-play and story aspect. I believe you can get through the game without killing more than 10 enemies if you play a rogue. The Icewind Dale games are just the opposite, more focused on the tactical combat, you create each character yourself and cannot gain any NPC followers. So there is no party member interaction, but the story is still nice, if not as deep as the BG games or Planescape. Baldur's Gate is like a cross between Planescape and Icewind Dale (even though it came first).

Well if its anything like Baldurs gate I think we'll be safe with DA: 3. Its clear that the games listed are more or less timeless if not technology wise, certainly storytelling and memorable wise. I still remember the first games I played of Baldurs Gate and how excited I was to catch some of that in DA: O. Then DA: 2 came and I felt like I was playing a very pretty and even exciting game, but it was all action. It never had the feeling of overcoming Sarevok and his rear end in a top hat buddies or strategically setting up a fight to overcome a powerful foe. Even the itemization felt crappy. If I spend all my time doing every sidequest I should be a freakin demi-god like in BG: 2, not just have an extra +1 on my daggers like in DA: 2.

I want deep story and super interesting characters dammit.

• Locked thread