Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Leelee posted:

It was an unpleasant party if you had Merrill in there as well, as no one besides Varric seems to like her. Aveline, Anders, Fenris, and Sebastian all tend to berate her and tell her she's a monster. Varric and Isabela seem to get along well with everyone, and Aveline and Isabela have some really nice character development.

In DA:O, the "good" characters tend to get along well, meaning Alistair, Wynne, and Leliana. Morrigan just hates everyone. Dog, as appropriate, loves everyone.

Dog hates Alistair, and loves only me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Why is Origin so reviled?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never had a problem with it. It's just steam with less games and no discounts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nyagato posted:

I bought DA:O for origin and I have never got to play that game because it wouldn't verify on origin and after 5 days and 6 phonecalls to EA support I gave up.
So that's why I won't ever use origin again.

I didn't buy it on Origin and yet it appears on my Origin games list, as does Mass Effect.

I think I redeemed a Steam key for Shank, though I've never played it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dr. Platypus posted:

I'd be happy with a second two-handed sword model. It felt like I used the exact same one through the entirety of Origins and Awakenings.

The Chasind flatblade has a tattoo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Geostomp posted:

I've heard that DAII was specifically designed to take some of the sympathy from the mages. When they decided that they'd focus on conflict between them and templars, it was obvious that the templars would automatically come off worse, so they had to make the mages look bad to compensate and show that they templars had a valid argument.

Unfortunately, they did it in the most hamfisted way possible (i.e. hiding away all actual circle mages while lumping in a parade of crazy apostate as a "faction" and the templars commit multiple crimes and taking over the city in the process). Instead of adding nuance to a potentially complex issue, they made both sides look insane while removing the pre-existing gray areas. I guess they couldn't figure out how to force everything to come to the same catastrophic conclusion if any reasonable people (including the players, apparently) had actual influence. It still burns me a little that two decent characters had to be dragged through the mud to become a ranting terrorist for something so ridiculous.

DAO does a fine job on its own of making the imprisonment of every mage seem perfectly justified.

Jowan, Connor, Tuvok, half the Circle... the game's a sequence of mage-instigated catastrophes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raygereio posted:

Conner and Uldred are good arguments for why there needs to be a central school where young mages can at the very least be taught how to defend against demons and why mages need to be watched.
But it's no argument for inhumane treatment. Besides the moral aspects, it's just stupid: "Hey, let's give the guy who can set our pants on fire with his mind a wedgie." Yeah, there's no way that can go wrong.

As for Jowan. You don't have to be a mage to be an idiot.

I agree, it'd be safer to execute them all at birth.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doublehex posted:

So being bad at writing comics automatically means you are bad at writing novels? That's a hell of a logical stretch.

How so?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
DAO chat: holy poo poo the guardian of Andraste's ashes destroys Leliana.

Ice cold.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tx2005 posted:

I haven't played either game (I picked up DA:O ultimate and DA2 for like $5-10 on sale at some point) so they are both still on my backlog. With that said, I'd guess the biggest issue with DA2 was the 16 month or so timeline between game releases. It has rush job written all over it. Maybe it would've sucked no matter what, but another year or two of development time, I would imagine it would have been a much better received game.

Except the things they did waste the time on ended up looking like poo poo e.g. the darkspawn redesign.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lotish posted:

^^What a lot of people complained about with regards to the character interactions in DA2 was it felt you were gaming the characters to get what you want rather than just saying whatever you felt like. Alpha Protocol was all about gaming people to get the reaction you wanted.

Or perhaps have one bar but have three reaction types--neutral, friend and rival. Each action increases one of the values and you get the bonus from the largest value.

Alternatively get rid of all sliding scales of +1 this -5 that and have companions only change how they act based on 3/4 significant decisions you make during the game.

There's nothing at all engaging about seeing Sten get a few points of disapproval because I say I want to do a quest to save some villagers. Wynne standing in my way when I decide to kill all mages in the Circle tower on the other hand can't be negated by a few bottles of wine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Nichael posted:

That is a decent idea, but how would you persuade companions to go against their preferences if there was no system of "relationship points" to base their attitude off of? For example, in the demo there's the choice of abandoning the town or helping it. Varric is very much against abandoning it. If you have no relationship gauge with him already, how do you convince him to abandon if that's what you choose?

You don't. He might follow you because alone he can't do a drat thing, but he should never agree or forgive you for it because abandoning a town to its fate is abhorrent to him. He would be an rear end in a top hat to you for the rest of the game, and at a pivotal moment decide not to help you in a cunning twist of fate.

I'm not sure I understand the issue. I didn't play more than 5 mins of the demo so forgive me for not understanding the context.

I'm weird though and never invest in coercion in DAO because I hate being able to have my cake and eat it by choosing the right dialogue options.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A few pages back, but...

KittyEmpress posted:

Meanwhile what we have seen in game in DAO was that the only time blood magic really goes wrong is when the practitioner is under a ton of duress. The creepy mage in Warden's Keep never lost control in hundreds of years, the only time he did was when he was under significant threat.

The demons were too powerful and he lost control. This is one of the first things Avernus tells you about the ritual. He regains some level of control over the tear, but not before everyone - friend and enemy - is dead.

Tuvok's werewolf ritual was also blood magic and hosed everyone over unnecessarily for centuries.

KittyEmpress posted:

It depends, because there isn't really anything that suggests alchemy and magic are similar, and learning one helps the other.

There's an alchemy lab in the Circle Tower in DA:O.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gameplay/combat magic is instantaneous sparkly effects, but the big cutscene spells have always involved ritual and symbols and props. Avernus, Jowan, Tuvok, Circle Tower blood magic bonanza... The Warden's initiation is alchemical & a form of blood magic.

I'm not sure why anyone wold draw a distinct line between alchemy and magic even in this one specific series. They're always related.

edit: In DA:O your magic stat determines how effective potions are!

sassassin fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 30, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Crabtree posted:

As logical as it sounds, personally, it comes off more as self-plagiarizing of known "cool BioWare moments" than finding a nice thematic way to use the character - despite how nice it would be to see Sten on the Qunari throne. Like I can see their writers thinking more of how people reacted to Wrex in ME2 than "So, where would old Sten be now".

It's like renegade vigilante Garrus suddenly being a high-ranked military advisor in ME3.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doublehex posted:

It was more like "Oh God, we are getting our charred asses handed to us on a silver platter, we have no idea what we are doing. Hey, didn't that Garrus guy actually fight these things? On dozens of occasions? And SURVIVED? I wanted his rear end in here yesterday!"

It was the most pointless way to reinsert Garrus back into Shepard crew imaginable. You can justify it by jumping through hoops that make the universe look tiny, but a) his character arc wasn't leading him to rejoin the military b) he knew no more about 'fighting' reapers than anyone in the citadel fleet or who had studied Sovereign's remains and c) he did gently caress all in that position.

It affected the story in literally no way. At least Tali's return to the Flotilla served a purpose.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Started to play Awakening for the first time over the weekend (was trying to finish the base game to carry a character over, but gave up pre-landsmeet*). It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be, with some pretty cool areas so far. Really enjoying it.

It's also a lot easier. Even with a low level import, without using many of the newer skills, or bothering to equip new items, I'm blasting though it.

Bit starved for party members, though. Nathaniel said he'd rather hang than join the wardens, and I'm not that cruel, so he was hanged. I guess he was my rogue.

* DA:O would be a lot better if it were 3/4 the length. The Dalish plot lifts right out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doublehex posted:

You also missed out on a pretty sweet character. If I were you I would restart the playthrough and not hang him.

Making someone a warden is a terrible thing to do even if they ask for it. Maybe next time I'll play dick human noble.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Oghren has some pretty hosed up dreams after his Joining in Awakening. The actual darkspawn visions don't bother him at all.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Just finished Awakening for the first time, and by god do ending slideshows suck. No, I don't care that Sir met-him-once founded an order of knights that lasted a thousand years. Or that my character wandered off one day never to be seen again (how original!).

It's such a clumsy, restrictive way to end things, even when they're not terribly written (Fallout New Vegas)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doublehex posted:

I feel it is a good compromise. They can't animate all of those scenes - too many different variations. The slideshows show that my characters have an impact, and show the consequences of those actions. Even if it is inconsequential.

The impact of your characters decisions should be shown during the game, or not at all.

It's such a bummer to go from being an actor in events to getting a summary of the next thousand years where Oghren doesn't give a poo poo about his kid and every party member you had just up and left at some point (no, I didn't do any companion quests). For all they try to be open ended about things (Is this the end of the warden's journey?.. yes), it's such a hard line to draw under everything you've done.

Why should I care that just because I got silverite armour for my soldiers some 'silverite order' became famous (one of at least 3 world famous orders to come from this one regional series of battles).

ME3's original ending was better - or at least less objectionable - than the slideshow one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

I disagree completely, it's neat to hear that your actions through the game had lasting consequences beyond the 20 minutes the game takes place in. The fact that you dislike it because 'oh everyone leaves' because you didn't want to do their quests is just silly - yeah, none of your people became better people because hey, you didn't help them out. It is way more interesting to hear the long term effects of killing all the mages than 'oh, you have templars now instead of mages. yay.'

I could have helped them later on. There were more pressing issues at the time.

A slideshow shatters the (fragile) illusion that the gameworld might act like a real world. After the final boss is dead your all-powerful Warden Commander of Ferelden becomes entirely impotent until one day drifting off into complete obscurity in the literal wilderness.

Perhaps if the results of actions were interesting as written, it would be more effective. But they're not, and inferred results, or the dreaded *speculation* are far more satisfying (imo).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

necessary voodoo posted:

You mean how the majority of the speculation after ME3 was that everyone on the citadel had been slaughtered & the entire galactic fleet would've slowly died off from starvation after the mass relays were destroyed and all the aliens were cut off from their home planets and food sources? Yes, I was very satisfied with coming to the conclusion that that was one of the endings too. :downs:

That was better than being presented with the exact same situation but being told 'no everything is fine, nobody starved' in text. The issue wasn't with the lack of "clarification".

The issue was that the events of the game led to a horrifying end state.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up about Mass Effect already. There's a thread for it, use that. :byodood:

Shame there's not a thread for backseat modding.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wolfsheim posted:

It is true that the player character lacks agency afterwards, but I think that's because some games are so open-ended that saying they did anything in particular might break the illusion.

This is what I'm saying. A slideshow is really a no-win situation with that. Either you don't say anything they did, and the character appears powerless, or you say at length what they did, in which case the player feels powerless.

I haven't finished DAO in years (it's officially just too drat long), but the setup of the post-archdemon party in the palace ties in far better tonally than the ending of Awakening does.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Crotch posted:

Not to go down that dark hole again, but ME3 mostly dropped that poo poo. That was really more ME2's own, terrible thing.

Anyway, the friendship/rivalry thing is undoubtedly better than "give people dog treats to make them like you". It is still bad.

They can use those dog treats to make my dog like them. What better gift is there?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mymla posted:

I don't get it. Why would they remove this from the game? This would've been great.

It probably causes issues with quest completion/the final armies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HenessyHero posted:

I enjoyed Leliana just fine but I don't know if that's just the stockholm syndrome talking. I played without mods and so, since Zevran doesn't come specced for lockpicking and it takes a long while to catch up, Leliana defaulted to a permanent party slot. :arghfist::saddowns:

I like Leliana's accent and how the guardian of the ashes completely calls her on her bullshit. It's brutal. She also has more to say in different locations than other party members.

I can always hit escape to skip her song.

Archery sucks and she's not great in cc but the game's not hard enough for that to be a major problem (although I've just started my first nightmare run so we'll see).

I kill Zevran on principle. It's discrimination to spare a professional killer because he's charming when I don't hesitate to murder peasant villagers who were desperate and just wanted the reward money.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My further suggestions box is gibberish because I mis-clicked trying to delete it all. Feel free to blame me if the game is bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CottonWolf posted:

She's either the Messiah Mk. II or utterly crazy, and the game presents both options as possibilities. Liara was not anywhere near that interesting.

On one hand you've got a pretty french girl saying 'wouldn't it be nice if...', on the other you're got the walking, talking ghost protector of the Literally Real Prophet Andraste's magical healing ashes telling her to her face that she's talking poo poo and just out for attention.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Penakoto posted:

Their competition us more often than not Bethesda and Obsidian, and Bioware isn't even CLOSE to them when it comes to buggy games.

The one good thing you can generally say about the stuff Bioware releases, is that they doesn't break down every other hour and their quests are completable.

Awakening has a fun bug where all your equipment gets deleted.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
As a mage you can pretty much break the game over your knee naked at that point anyway.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tasty food posted:

I am just getting interested in this again, but the 1.05 update is telling me it is not for the steam install. I don't want to play without shale! :mad:

Go to the wiki and download the dlc files AND dlc offer files manually. Use daupdater.exe to add these .dazip files to the game. Play the dlc.

DLC authorisation being broken is a blessing in disguise.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Torrannor posted:

I just imagine that after the fight when you are speaking with someone, you would at least wipe your face with your sleeve or something like that. In fact, I would clean my face in any case, since blood in your eyes or your mouth is probably not very comfortable, or sanitary. It just breaks my immersion if they are calmly talking while their face is full of blood.

Your sleeve is covered in blood, too. You've got nothing to wipe with.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fojar38 posted:

DA2's faults were largely gameplay related in my opinion. The faults were so egregious however that a significant hatedom ended up developing that nitpicked every aspect of the game and highlighted every one of its flaws no matter how minor, including flaws that would've been forgiven or overlooked in other games.

It was also ugly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lars Blitzer posted:

I still maintain he's a none-too-subtle jab at Final Fantasy: Stupid hair, whiny or taciturn "...", mysterious powers, thin, ridiculously huge sword. Tell me his name shouldn't have been Cloud.

You're thinking of Squall. Cloud wasn't whiny or taciturn until they started releasing all the tie-in nonsense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kibayasu posted:

Well he wasn't in Mass Effect 1 is my point. The option to jump his armored carapace didn't come out of nowhere in ME2, and I wouldn't be surprised if the creation of his ME2 character was "Ok, some people really want to have sex with the dinosaur, how can we make that even more appealing?" "I got it: Batman."

He was definitely a bad boy cop who plays by his owns rules in ME1. They ramped up the tortured soul in 2 but that was just par for the course in a darker, sexier universe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you don't sell Connor's soul for a hand job you're just not role playing properly

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
With the number of people I've seen here complaining that "renegade shepard isn't consistent!" maybe that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm sorry but if you think these look goony you're weird

Those textures are real bad though.

Wicked cool streak of poo poo across the nose.

Yeah, not goony at all.

• Locked thread