Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Leelee posted:

I don't see how you *can* be a Qunari mage in this game- I mean, they cut off your horns and sew your mouth shut? Unless we learn more about some kind of mage underground in Par Vollen, I don't think this will be a class available to the qunari, unless they've already stated otherwise.

Wasn't there a Qunari mage party member in the PAX video? poo poo quality, so it was a bit hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure I saw horns.
But I don't see why a Qunari Inquisitor would even come from Par Vollen. My first guess would be an orphan that's found and raised by the chantry or something along those lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

The Maker is actually gay. Andraste was just his beard. DA III will actually be an incredibly tortured metaphor for coming out.

You're making this overly complicated. The maker is a woman. Andraste is still the Maker's bride.
DA3 will end with a love triangle where Inquisitor and Andraste compete for the Maker's affections.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

To talk more about the new game, has Bioware said what the general motivation of the Red Templars (I think that is what they are called) is? Are they just blindly following the old chantry, are they a specific group of templars gone crazy on lyrium, or something else?

I'd bet real money that the Red Templars are gonna be virtually indistinguishable from the Cerberus Mooks from ME3. Lobotomized people used as trash mobs by the Big Bad.

Anyway, they're talking about the game I guess.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...estruction.html

quote:

I think there were a few fan favourites that we wanted to come back, and we had at one point planned a DLC for Dragon Age II called 'Exalted March' that we ended up not doing because we felt it was important to go ahead and switch over to new technology to really start focusing on Dragon Age: Inquisition. Some of the characters that are returning are ones we'd planned to bring back for that DLC, so we really wanted to bring them back for Inquisition. A lot of that was kind of driven by the writers, so it's possible that they had some arguments, because there are a lot of really passionate fans, and every follower has a group of people that really want to see them again. We try to accommodate that as much as possible.
So, bets on what companions are coming back and in what manner? Will Alistair show up for another three seconds, fit the word "swooping" in a sentence, and then leave?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Leelee posted:

who would you *want* to see returning to DAI as either a party member or cameo?

Loghain, I guess. Shale. I could hit some of DA2's cast returning after a makeover. Seeing Merrill all grown up and independent could be pretty cool.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Dangit, Leandra. Just go barhop with Isabella or something.

If you got Isabella to full rivalry, she totally should've hosed Leandra and then been all :smug: about it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

sassassin posted:

Just finished Awakening for the first time, and by god do ending slideshows suck. No, I don't care that Sir met-him-once founded an order of knights that lasted a thousand years. Or that my character wandered off one day never to be seen again (how original!).

It's such a clumsy, restrictive way to end things, even when they're not terribly written (Fallout New Vegas)

It's probably the best way to end things. I sure can't think of a superior alternative. As Doublehex said, it shows what impact your character had on the world, and I think that's a pretty important thing to show in an RPG.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Leelee posted:

Here's a deleted scene cut from the game where she bugs you about using blood magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YML3Jhw54g

I don't get it. Why would they remove this from the game? This would've been great.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Really though you should be covered in blood after hacking through 100 people. You should be ankle deep in the stuff. It should be horrifying and traumatic.

Also they should retcon in some lore explanation for why people turn into bald men for a split second when they gib.

Sure, but you shouldn't be covered in blood after stabbing one dude once with a dagger. The problem, honestly, is that blood spatter is a binary thing. Either you're squeaky-clean, or you look like you just finished a twelve hour shift in the chainsaw torture dungeon, with no in-between.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Barudak posted:

Make a cannon romance that is pre-established.
Isn't this sort of a thing in the dwarf noble origin? Like, the first thing Gorim says to you is "We're in a relationship, confirm/deny?".
Anyway, I don't think that'd be a good idea. The less pre-defined the protagonist is, the better. The NWN 1 protagonist is pretty much the ultimate RPG protagonist in my mind.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Have they said anything about whether they're keeping the friendship/rivalry system from DA2 or going with something else? I really hope they keep it, or at least something very similar.

And yeah, Morrigan was loving retarded. The moment that sticks out in my head is when you agree to help Redcliffe fight off the zombies at night, and Morrigan Disapproves. Yes, Morrigan, let's let the army we're going to use to fight the darkspawn die horribly before we even get the chance to recruit them. Wonderful idea, thanks for your input.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'd say it's most likely just gonna be one VA per gender. Yeah, elf inquisitor sounding exactly like qunari inquisitor is a bit weird but not weird enough to quadruple your VA budget for. It certainly wouldn't bother me much.

But I guess they could also go with one for each class or race. They did one for each class in TOR, so maybe.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Now if the game actually let us question, deter and torture almost every character in the game utilizing the "they could be a blood mage/abomination" excuse, at least then the game will have earned its title. :v: The more you abuse this the worse your organization becomes, but at least the freedom to question nearly any character in this game on grounds of blood magic sacrilege would at least win Inquisition some brownie points no matter how bad the rest of it is.

EDIT: And double this if they can either make accusations have randomized chances of being right even if you were just lying through your teeth to legally arrest, rob and/or kill someone - or allow origins to include being from Kirkwall and having a justified in-character paranoia that "MAYBE EVERYONE IS A BLOODMAGE!:tinfoil:"

I now hope to god that my Dragon Age 3 experience will be to play a blood mage who can't walk down the street without accusing at least three people of being evil blood mages before executing them and taking all their stuff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
There were different types of abominations. Some had their name in white and were lovely trash mobs. Others had their name in yellow and were harder to kill, etc. etc.
On average I think an abomination was a bit more dangerous than a random bandit, but really not by much.
But honestly, a random bandit could probably destroy a village as well as any abomination if he put his mind to it and there wasn't anyone there to fight back.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm not gonna say they look bad, but it looks a little bit weird to have almost photorealistic faces and plastic hair. But then, that's kind of been a thing in Bioware games since like Mass Effect.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Well, the game looks pretty, at least. Kinda looking forward to it now, actually.
Christ, 2014 is like the year of RPGs or something. Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Project Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, this, Wasteland 2. Everything is dropping now.

Rainbow Unicorn posted:

...voice of the male human inquisitor.

Wait, so are they going with one VA for each race and gender?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you play as a human, the game had better end with a Fereldan secret agent dropping your character from a giant antenna.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lotish posted:

They clearly put some thought into picking Trevelyan, though; I can't imagine they picked up a copy of Goldeneye and said "Sean Bean is the Human Inquisitor."

No, I will be genuinely surprised if this is not exactly what happened.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lloyd Boner posted:

God no, DA2's combat was terrible. Origins was all about pausing and coordinating your moves, and it was challenging and really cool, especially on the harder difficulties when friendly fire came into play and you really had to build your party around the tank/healer/dps trinity. DA2 was basically click on these dudes and occasionally use your abilities to make them explode harder, while simultaneously trying to retain the framework of the Origins combat, so it just became some clunky, bastardized hybrid of Origins and Diablo.

In my experience, DA2 required a lot more coordination between party members than DA1. In DA1, the combat pretty much boiled down to "use mages to crowd-control the most dangerous enemies -> set entire party to kill second most dangerous enemies -> win". Whereas in DA2, to succeed you needed to set up a combo on as many enemies as possible with one class, and then hit those enemies with another class. While making sure none of your party memebers die to bullshit assassins. What difficulty were you playing on?

DA1's combat was still better for the most part, though, because its encounters were all different. DA2 just pretty much had the same encounter every three minutes for the entire game.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 8, 2014

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

I'm curious, is anyone here actually going to buy Inquisition new without getting a goon consensus/reliable review first?

This is Bioware's first biggy since DA2 and ME3 and those didn't exactly inspire faith.

I might. It depends entirely on how many other games I want to play come out around the same time.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Krowley posted:

Can't remember but probably the latter. I think it was something about them trying to avoid getting caught with slaves at sea so they just chucked them overboard.

I'm sure she was real sad about it but when you're a pirate queen you have to make the hard choices! And she hasn't worn pants ever since.

The best thing about that comic is how apparently they were in such a bloody hurry to get rid of the slaves they couldn't take the time of day to I dunno, untie them, before dumping them.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I would be genuinely pleased if all 6 guys are romanceable, and none of the girls. Gamers.txt would get material for like a hundred pages.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I missed both Zevran and Sten in my first playthrough. It makes very little sense to free a murderous psychotic who doesn't even want to be freed. And it makes even less sense to keep someone who's been hired to kill you around just because he tells you he won't kill you in your sleep, honest.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
For what it's worth, I think Isabela wins a pretty solid bronze medal in the special olympics competition that is Best DA2 Character behind Aveline and Varric. She's a lot less annoying than the likes of Anders, Merill and Fenris, and some of her conversations with Aveline are pretty good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It's like in Mass Effect where they have a setting with at least 3 interesting alien races you could play as, so obviously you end up actually playing as a human soldier fighting robots. At least in DAO you could be an english elf if you wanted, I guess.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

I hope the dragon thing is just for the box art, and it doesn't turn out that the inquisitor has some kind of dragon power and that that is what let's them seal the fade holes.

The Inquisitor is secretly the Dohvakiin. Lizard wizard revealed as playable this E3.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Someone's gonna have to explain to me why everyone's getting so upset about horse armour of all things.

VVV Okay...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/horse-armor :shrug: Yeah, I don't really see the problem. Looks identical to every lovely cosmetic DLC you see in tons of games.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 22, 2014

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Promethium posted:

Instead, imagine that when you deal the final blow to the archdemon, you are suddenly transported to a playable flashback to hundreds of years ago, at the final battle of the Fourth Blight. History records that it ended when the Grey Warden Garahel defeated the archdemon Andoral, their souls annihilating each other -- or so everyone assumed since they died and the Blight ended. But is that really what happens when a warden kills an archdemon? Find out as you control Garahel and discover the truth of that confrontation.

This would've been weird as hell and awful. No, slideshows are pretty great, and one of the worst things about DA2 and the Mass Effects is that they didn't have them.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The main problem with Planescape: Torment is that the actual game part of it is pretty godawful. It would've probably sold like candy if the combat was fun instead of something you have to suffer to get to the good bits.

Then again, Baldurs Gate has the same problem and that's pretty popular so idk.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This is the ultimate Dragon Age 2 experience.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
DA1's combat is kinda like Baldur's Gate's, except good because it's less clunky and doesn't require forehand knowledge of the encounters. And doesn't use D&D rules. It's pretty great, especially if you get the respec mod, spec all the companions properly and play on the hardest difficulty.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Except of course that Baldur's Gate's combat was better than Origin's ever was.

What part of save or die spells and babysitting impressively bad pathfinding AI do you find good?

quote:

DA2's combat was better than Origin's.

This is true, though.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Shugojin posted:

It's hard to make a balanced critique of DA2's combat engine because you eventually get down to the fact that DA2 doesn't actually have more than like two good encounters in the whole drat game, otherwise it's just trash mob after trash mob followed up by a great big thing that acts exactly like the trash mobs but with more HP.

Yeah, this is true. The combat itself being improved in DA2 doesn't matter much, since it still gets really boring after like half the game since you're fighting the same ten guys in every encounter every twenty steps.

Smol posted:

I know this is true for the original, but pathfinding on the BGT/TuTu versions is fine.

No. If it was somehow even worse in the base game, I don't even know what to say.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't really get why people go on about caster supremacy in DAO. Sure, they're really strong, but so is any properly built rogue or warrior. Mages are good at supporting the party and at crowd control, but they're not really that great at actually killing things.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
In DA3, will I be able to mod my sword with explosive sharpness which causes every hit to do 500% splash damage but also causes it to overheat after one hit?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

So, if we're lucky the writing of this game will land on "so bad it's good".
More likely, it'll be "so bad it's embarrassing".

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Leliana is pretty cool. A hell of a lot better than unfunny comic relief like Alistair and Oghren.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I am genuinely happy that BSN posters are getting mad about not being able to have the waifu of their choice and I now feel better about my intent to purchase DA3.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

marktheando posted:

Bioware games certainly have their share of problems, and are easy (and fun) to make fun of. But really there are so few companies making this sort of game. I'm looking forward to the new Obsidian kickstarter thing, but apart from that I can't even think of any other modern party based RPGs.

Divinity: Original Sin is coming out in two weeks. You should probably check that out. Also, Wasteland 2 might be good?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kajeesus posted:

It does kind of mess you over Zaeed's mission, where he sets fire to a room full of bystanders to buy you some time, but the proper renegade solution for that is saving the workers and leaving Zaeed behind. :colbert:

No, the paragon option is to punch Zaeed in the face and save the workers. This leads to Zaeed's guy escaping and Zaeed getting mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Leelee posted:

-Morrigan is associated with the Inquisition.

:negative:

• Locked thread