Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Leelee posted:

I don't see how you *can* be a Qunari mage in this game- I mean, they cut off your horns and sew your mouth shut? Unless we learn more about some kind of mage underground in Par Vollen, I don't think this will be a class available to the qunari, unless they've already stated otherwise.

Perhaps a second-generation tal vashoth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Nichael posted:

It'd be funny if he was, but he's stabbing just east of Kirkwall.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but the DA2 crew seemed to like each other. The only ones your party disliked were Anders and Carver, and they both kind of had it coming. DA2 even had scenes of the party members talking to each other without you, which was a nice feature that was carried into ME3. I was looking at some of the party interactions from DA:O. That was a group that largely seemed to dislike each other, but it made sense to an extent because they were all pretty disparate people, with little in common.

He's stabbing those loving annoying winding sandy cliff paths.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Leelee posted:

I believe those are all party members. David Gaider remarked as such on the picture that the elf was very in-character (paraphrase).

Dragon Age Inquisition: table stabbing and fisting jokes.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

sassassin posted:

Why is Origin so reviled?

It's crap and you're pretty much forced to use it for all EA games.

I don't hate it but I only use it if I absolutely have to.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I used Origin for ME3 and have no desire to use it again unless there's a game I really want to play that is exclusive to it (and as of now, Inquisition is not on that list). I haven't used it in about 6 months but back then it was pretty buggy and lost connection a lot. I also got locked out of the multiplayer because of an "invalid online pass" issue - the PC version of the game didn't even use online passes - and it took ages to get a service rep who actually understood what the problem was. Once I was finally issued a new Origin product key I had to go through the same song and dance since that broke my preorder DLC.

This is pretty much my exact origin experience, although I am hesitantly hopeful about DA:I.

Not loving pre-ordering it though.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Naf posted:

I'm boycotting this game unless I have at least 7 gender identity/sexuality choices on character creation.

A Saints Row style character customiser would be kind of awesome...

Especially if there's a Nolan North voice.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dr. Platypus posted:

I'd be happy with a second two-handed sword model. It felt like I used the exact same one through the entirety of Origins and Awakenings.

Butterfly sword was the best.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I played both DA:O and DA2 a long-rear end time ago--is there any way for me to tell at a glance which choices I've made? Otherwise I don't see the point of the Keep; who memorizes every little thing they do in a game like this (besides my sister) or bothers to learn all this lore?

Magimix.

also me

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

kingcom posted:

"This is how I dislocated two fingers."

Bioware just can't get hands right.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

necessary voodoo posted:

Is this what you're talking about? More at the source.

Oh man, that would have been pretty cool.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Designed specifically for cosplay?

Seems to be mostly made of bin liners and pleather, ideal imo.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Doublehex posted:

It was more like "Oh God, we are getting our charred asses handed to us on a silver platter, we have no idea what we are doing. Hey, didn't that Garrus guy actually fight these things? On dozens of occasions? And SURVIVED? I wanted his rear end in here yesterday!"

Yeah, I'm assuming "taking down collectors and having previous galaxy saving experience also my dad knows the primarch" gets you boosted up the meritocracy pretty fast.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I thought it was Fenris who said it but I'm probably wrong.

I'm pretty sure Fenris says something similar.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

did anyone actually use the kinect for ME3?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Shouting at Garrus owned, dude.

Not if you live with other people.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

Yeah, the curse of being a Warden is never mentioned past the first few minutes of DA:O. You get 20 years from the ritual at most, have to abandon all remnants of your life and follow the Wardens, and once you reach the 20 year mark you just head into the deep roads to fight darkspawn until death.

Unless you're a female grey warden, then you just have to hope you die fighting the darkspawn. :gonk:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Lotish posted:

I haven't played the DLCs for these games, but have we ever met a Warden on the verge of his or her calling? It would be interesting to have to play with a character for a while, knowing that inevitably they are about to go into the deep roads and either die fighting or join the enemy. There could even be a timer in the game where if you haven't finished the adventure by such and such in-game month, the Warden is called to the Deep Roads and cannot be stopped; do you let them go or kill them yourself? If you want to see how that character responds to the end game and the like, you need to beat the game quickly.

If they join relatively young--twenty or so--then you're looking at your senior wardens being in their 40s. Fairly old by dark age standards but who knows how old that is in a fantasy setting.

Duncan was very close to his calling, but since he gets his head caved in by a darkspawn at Ostagar nothing really comes of it. :(

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Pick posted:

Impossible, he's not an LI :colbert:.

There's probably a mod for that.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Torrannor posted:

I have no idea and just said I did not use it or something like that.

If they take my suggestions they will put greater focus on romances! :cheeky:

If they take my suggestions they'll put less focus on XXXtreme epic stories.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Chickenfrogman posted:

Putting Varic in every spot is the only reasonable thing to do as he's one of the only things DA2 did right. I was glad I could four slot him for that survey.

You know they're probably going to make him all grimdark in DA:I. :(

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

HenessyHero posted:

Sten also knows his fade dream's not real but he tells you that he's just playing it out to humour the demon until the Warden shows up :allears:. Dog you just wake up by patting it :3:

While I also remember that I liked Morrigan's suggestion, honestly, Arl Eamon ends up being one of your biggest supporters against the blight in terms of actual military aid and in terms of his expertise at politicking. Sten's in the wrong there imho, but mostly because he doesn't know that humans will often devolve into arguing about how to fix a leak on sinking ship instead of just, you know, fixing it.

Sten just misses his friends. :(

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

He's still totally ok with banging a mage though, isn't he?

Rivalmance is probably most appropriate for a mage.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Pick posted:

You have to go into the texture files :ssh:.

Oh dear, it's Mirandas catsuit all over again. :(

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

DrakePegasus posted:

According to the bigass lore book, homosexuality is actually pretty well-accepted, if typically not talked about. The exact extent to said tolerance varies region to region. In Tevinter it's actively encouraged to the slaves by their owners, to keep their scarcity value.

On second thought, let's not go to Tevinter. It is a silly place.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Penakoto posted:

Yeah, this is it here, if you have too many slaves then revolt becomes a possibility. Civilizations with huge slave populations, like the Romans, dealt with it often.

It was one of the major causes of the fall of the Spartans too.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Barudak posted:

Sure but at the same time having a massive slave population that provided them with their food so they could produce warriors of excellent quality and surprisingly sick burns was how they gained such dominance. If the Tevinter Empire characters were written with half of the quality of ancient Laconic Wit* I would never tire of exploring it.

Also, the Sacred Band of Thebes which ultimately is what militarily crushed the Spartans is history's greatest and gayest fighting force.

*Seriously, look these up, they're nothing but ice burns in a sentence or less. It is a land of people with humor so dry that the British look like an ocean.

"if" :smuggo:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Comedy Qunari romance option.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Frankenmom was worth 5 dollars, I've never laughed as hard at a game as I did when she toddled onto the screen.

Act 1 is okay, act 2 is uh... hmm... and act 3 is just a parade of face melting stupidity.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Although I knew by then how the game ends, I felt much less uncomfortable with romancing Anders than romancing Merrill. I had that creepy feeling that I should be locked up for seducing a child. Rivalry-romance Anders, that arc plays out much better than the friendship-romance.

Edit: DA2 haters alerted to a heretic trying to play through the DA2 blasphemy! Already recommending to uninstall the game! You guys are quick.

I was bored and started another DA2 run and I have to say that with the addition of the DLC missions it's grown on me. Act 3 still feels really bare, but I quite enjoyed legacy and mark of the assassin was a fun romp.
Plus playing a destruction/force/blood mage is hilarious, gravitic ring, then fire, lightning, fist of the maker and haemorrhage does silly damage.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Leelee posted:

I kind of love how characters call out my sarcastic Hawke out on her bullshit. I'm playing a mage, so I have Carver, who just told me that "you make a joke of everything". It's just sort of satisfying to play such an rear end in a top hat character.

I've never actually played a blood mage, so I'll have to try it this time.

Using all the AOE spells trivialises most fights, it's great.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Leelee posted:

If you all HAVE to pick- which romance do you go with in DA2- Isabela, Fenris, Anders, Sebastian, or Merrill.

(Death is not an option).

I have a soft spot for Fenris, despite habitually playing a mage.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

Merrill

Yeah, I went there. I like Merrill. Anyone got a problem with that? :colbert:

I find her wonky welsh accent a bit grating.

e. she suffers from the same problem as Leliana - despite having an actual welsh VA it sounds kind of fake.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

steakmancer posted:

Actually thought Fenris had a good origin/background for a character except they made him too whiny and contrarian.

Carver was the best DA2 companion because he's basically a sniveling little brother archetype and had all the characteristics encapsuled within that archetype.

He does grow up a bit if he becomes a warden.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

I think the closest it does to justifying and conveying the danger is with Flemeth in the first game - an abomination (maybe?) who has learned to shapeshift into forms that make her as formidable as creatures known to destroy nations on their own.

The boss from the top of the mage tower was pretty good at conveying it too - you got to see what could happen if a powerful spirit entered a mage instead of a weak one.

But yeah abominations are way too common and easy to defeat for how scared the world are of them. The Grey Warden cuts through over a hundred by the end of DA:O, and Hawke cuts through probably as much or more.

Plus a large proportion of the mages we see turning into abominations do so because it is that or certain death/mindwiping.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Torrannor posted:

And you can be a blood mage all day long without anything bad ever happening. Even Merrill never did anything too horrible, the whole thing with the keeper and the pride demon could be construed as being the keeper's fault.

If you go to the top of sundermount during act 2, the magical barrier is gone and there's a cart blocking the cave entrance instead.

I wonder just how long the keeper was under the influence of the pride demon?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Mymla posted:

I'm not gonna say they look bad, but it looks a little bit weird to have almost photorealistic faces and plastic hair. But then, that's kind of been a thing in Bioware games since like Mass Effect.

I'll forgive the hair as long as they don't have lich-hands.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Universe Master posted:

You apparently have to dedicate enormous amounts of GPU power to get long flowing hair right. Just look at the recent Tomb Raider game and its "Tressfx".

Yeah, hair is incredibly hard to animate properly, just look at the hair animation tests for Tangled and Brave.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Stroth posted:

Brian Blessed

Okay, this needs to be an option for every species and gender.

The romance scenes would be amazing.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Generic American posted:

You know, I really want to like this character because she is Orlesian as gently caress and I love it. That said, however, I can't help but hate her already, because that hat is an abomination and a travesty to all things fashionable, and should be set ablaze. :colbert:

Hey, she's rocking the Maleficent look. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

This just sounds like a set up for making a load of skimpy armour and shouting "LORE" when people call them out on it.

Her design actually looks reasonable, I think one of the versions of her armour has a cleavage window but that's about the worst of it.

• Locked thread