Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

mortalwombat posted:

THIS is really cool news.
I hope this doesn't mean you can only do it with a smartphone. Implementing that stuff is cool and all but loving hell I don't want to buy one of those things to not miss out on significant content in a game I've bought, I already dished out for the console.

E: Thank gently caress for a new thread also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Lyer posted:

Would I be missing out on much if I passed on Peace Walker? I pretty much enjoyed every single MGS game from the 1st one.
Why would you pass on Peace Walker? It's excellent. Also MGSV takes off exactly where Peace Walker ended.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never played through a Metal Gear game without reverting to stealth eventually. Actually that goes for pretty much any game where stealth is an option. I've started playthroughs of each MGS with the aim to screw alerts and kill everyone but sooner or later I was in a box and tranqing guards. Stealth's in my blood I guess.

I also tried that approach with my second playgthroughs of both Far Cry 3 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution but again went back to stealth fairly soon. Just can't help it. I think Skyrim might be the only game where I've taken a head-on approach with a character even though stealth was an option, though generally when there's a character class available, I always go for the thief/rogue/scout or whatever relies on long range and hiding.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The voice direction being weird again is kinda odd, it's probably still Kris Zimmerman, and while the MGS games have always had some problems there she also did Revengeance and they knocked it out of the loving park.
It also helped that a different team did the localization for Revengeance, and more notably they knocked it out of the loving park. For better or worse, Kojima's own games don't get much leeway when it comes to localizations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Penakoto posted:

let's not jump to conclusions.
This should be the title of every Metal Gear thread ever.

It's nice to see Christopher Randolph back and Kiefer sounded fine, if a little subdued. All we've really seen/heard from him have been in scenes where Snake is either completely worn out or just his gruff ol' self, I'd like to see more scenes where he actually gets to stretch out a bit.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

True. Doesn't Kojima also go to the VO sessions? With his direction overriding the more …sensible one.
Not sure if that was the case on previous games but I know he directed the English VO cast for this one. We'll have to see how that turns out, could be better or worse or more of the same.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One thing that really annoys me is them making Octocamo not exist until 2014 in the series timeline and the only thing after that is Raiden being a crazy awesome cyborg ninja. I want more Metal Gear games to use Octocamo, it was awesome.

Originally they wanted to make it even better than it ended up being too; it was going to copy the exact textures around it for a really slick chameleon effect instead of a generic one (which is still cool) and if you were around water (or fire) the camo would animate with waves and ripples. The latter they had to axe because it made the devkits crash instantly I think.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There was a tiny bit about MGSV in the latest Game Informer where Kojima talked about MGSV. Might be old info but nothing wrong with a bit of a recap:

Ground Zeroes is the Cuba military base segment we've all seen a bunch of times now. It's not "open world", but it is open-ended, meaning that it's more of a huge arena where the method of approach is still up to you and serves to acclimate the player to the MGS open world experience. The Phantom Pain takes place 9 years later in 1984, and from there on in the game will be truly "open world".

Kojima would like to go even further in terms of eliminating any kind of HUD or control prompts and is currently working on making the game feel more immersive that way.

There will be significantly less cutscenes than in previous titles as they don't lend themselves too well to an open world game, and the transition into cutscenes will be much more natural, akin to the transitions from cutscenes into gameplay before boss fights in MGS4, which were admittedly cool.

Next-gen versions of the game will run at 60fps, have better lighting effects and more detailed shadows along a few other bells and whistles. Current gen will be 30fps, but otherwise the games will be "very similar" and pretty much identical in terms of gameplay.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, Kojima did mention that while there are not as many "traditional" cutscenes, there are some that happen in real-time (as I understood it) during gameplay. And to be fair, this is Kojima so even if it is "significantly less", it's probably still a whole bunch, not least considering the amount of performance capture stuff they've been doing and still are.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Big Boss is Noah. He gathers all animals into his stomach, then goes into the box. I mean the ark. It's all right there man.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Portable Ops is kind of non-canon though? Even Kojima said it doesn't fit "his" Metal Gear universe.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

This is probably a good time to mention that it was David Hayter's favorite script, iirc.
I barely remember anything about PO so it might've been a good script as far as Metal Gear goes? The point is that yeah, I doubt Kojima cares too much about retconning the hell out of whatever happened in that game to have that stuff in some form or another in MGSV.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes coming Spring 2014:

Eurogamer posted:

Ground Zeroes, the prologue to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, will launch for PlayStations 3 and 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in spring 2014.

Digital versions will cost £19.99 on current-gen consoles and £29.99 on next-gen. Boxed versions will be released for PS3 and Xbox 360, also priced £29.99.

Ground Zeroes will act as an introduction to the story and gameplay of its bigger brother, The Phantom Pain, which still lacks a release date.

Metal Gear's big boss Hideo Kojima has said that players will be eased into the new open-world gameplay of Phantom Pain in Ground Zeroes, although full details of its plot are scarce.

"There will be a significant difference in what Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain brings to the series, so we want to ease players into the new open world environment and its potential.

"As such, Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes has been designed to introduce key elements, allowing them to fully benefit from all that the new game will offer."

E: So from this I guess we can deduce that GZ will be the Chico rescue mission in an open "arena" of the US Military prison camp in Cuba and maybe a bit more. Then Big Boss returns to Mother Base where everything goes to hell and the attack puts him in a coma for 9 years. To be continued in The Phantom Pain.

Which, to be as meta as you can be, will be released in 2023. :haw:

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 4, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Throb Robinson posted:

I thought I had more time to get around to finish playing peace walker before it came out. Need to get off my rear end and finally finish it
That's a funny game to rush to finish because when it ends, it doesn't actually end. Not by a long shot.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Boxed versions are current-gen only, it seems.

But yeah, I think there's more to GZ than most people know. There have been quite a few videos showing the GZ part of the game and the map is pretty large, there have been multiple objectives (go in and capture prisoner X) on top of the Chico/Paz stuff and some of it takes place during daytime and some are night time missions. I think it'll probably be a pretty chunky package and worth the price.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

In all honesty, I'd pay 60 bucks for the Tanker chapter of MGS2 if it looked like Ground Zeroes.
I did pay 60 bucks for 2/3 of the Tanker chapter of MGS2 when it did look like Ground Zeroes does now. It was called Zone of the Enders. I'd have no qualms doing that again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I'd get mad at you for slighting ZOE, but it's not like the first ZOE stands up by itself very well either. It was basically a demo pack.
ZoE2 is a game I adore but I probably wouldn't have bought the first game without the MGS2 demo. Still felt worth it, and got me even more psyched when I started to realize ZoE2 more or less fixed everything that was wrong with ZoE1.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

New trailer and PS4 exclusive content stuff coming tomorrow! Also

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kojima just tweeted this (re: tomorrow's Spike TV MGS PS4 event):

H to the Kozzers posted:

"SPIKE TV" is one of the most popular cable TV channels in US. There'll be a shocking PS4 related announcement that will blow your mind.

It's probably not the exclusive content thing as I'm sure he's aware that's common knowledge by now, but when it's Kojima who says something will blow your mind, I'm pretty curious what it will be. Curious and terrified.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Could be some swanky remote play functionality with the Vita maybe. Sounds like it could be something kinda big though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aurain posted:

Why did they move away from Shinkawa artwork covers. The CGI models look like rear end.
Could be a regional thing. The EU at least has always had Shinkawa covers, I know the US covers for MGS4 had a CG Snake on them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

According to the new MGSV website that just launched, the Deja Vu content will feature "original camera angles" too. So it's basically MGS1 re-done on the FOX engine up to (at least) Snake meeting the Darpa Chief.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

At least you'll be able to have it download in the background while you play other games. And maybe even play it while it's still downloading if the game supports that. :shobon: Not as snappy as having a disc maybe but a step up from the PS3 at least.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Fitz posted:

Is the MGS: Legacy Collection worth getting?
As I understand it's the best way to get all the games, yeah. MGS1 is a digital version but it's fine nonetheless.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The original plinky Metal Gear Solid (PSX) theme because gently caress plagiarism. :getin:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MGS has had regenerating health since MGS3. :confused:

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Raiden had regenerating health in 2, just not full health.

If there isn't a room full of instant noodles on Mother Base I will be sad.
Yeah, I didn't include MGS2 because health didn't regenerate fully in that one. You only bled from your butt until the bleeding stopped. Metal Gear!

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 22, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If you had full stamina in MGS3 your health regenerated pretty dang quickly, unless you were injured and had to use the Cure screen. Even if it is snappier in MGSV I don't really mind that much, regenerating health isn't a bad thing at all if it's done well; you'll still die if you get shot a bunch. Besides, everyone knows if you get caught and shot in Metal Gear, you've already lost. :colbert:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah I think it was mentioned somewhere that the demos were played on Easy or something.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Rising aside, Peace Walker's main theme kicks the original MGS theme's rear end in every way and Calling to the Night is the best theme song from any MGS to date.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kojima just confirmed on Twitter that Snake always has a [Sony] Walkman on him during missions and can listen to any music you want (presumably things you've uploaded into the game/Music Unlimited/etc.) and is all :swoon: about James Bond themes as being the perfect songs to sneak to. Which isn't a bad idea really.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Namaste posted:

Wait. What cutscene is this? (I haven't finished MGS4 in a few years.)
The really long-rear end one in Act 3 with Big Mama. You also get pretty much the entire history of the Patriots in that scene which makes PoOps even more obsolete.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

1000 years from now scholars of ancient text will still be finding out new easter eggs in this series.

I only learned about this one today in MGS (the Hind fight conversation if you have mono)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzG8Sty9veI
Holy poo poo. This would've blown my mind back in 1999 when I first played MGS. "How do they know what kind of TV I have?!" :supaburn:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Farming for troops gets really easy with the sneaking suit, yeah. Basically all you have to do is run up to an enemy and tap the aim button and they're out. I remember farming some mission and it took me well under a minute to run through it and get 3 or 4 A-rank and 1-2 S-rank people out of it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I never had problems with the pressure sensitive buttons in MGS2 and 3. I prefer the MGS4/Peace Walker controls obviously but after my first PS1 Dualshock had its face buttons completely unresponsive and soft after years of use, I learned to not hammer buttons down for everything like I was trying to go through the controller, and that helped with all the pressure sensitive stuff. The Dualshock 2 was actually pretty good at interpreting how hard you were pressing down.

If they released MGS3 HD with L1/R1 shooting and crouch walking I'd buy it all over again, full price.

Also Calling to the Night is the best theme, come on. One good thing to come out of PoOps.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Early reports say that last-gen versions run at 30fps-ish, meaning it can get a tiny bit choppy and texture resolution isn't great (though to be fair, I'm sure they're comparing those to the PS4/Xbone versions where it's a steady 60fps and textures are really sharp) and as far as I know, there hasn't been a word about a demo.

According to Kojima, the main point of GZ is exactly as Comic put it above; Kojima said both GZ and TPP will have a whole bunch of new mechanics and stuff MGS veterans might have a tough time getting used to so GZ is literally a taste of what's to come and an introduction to the new mechanics and gameplay to get players used to them before TPP comes out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Major INTERSpess posted:

Wouldn't happen to still have it at all, would you? I would kill for some more media of NY destroyed by Arsenal.
ChipCheezum posted a lot of stuff from the disc for his LP but I can't remember if there was anything about Arsenal. Still an interesting watch though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MadBimber posted:

I think I read in this thread that there is a moment in MGR where Armstrong punts Raiden and a crowd cheers about it. Is this in fact true, and is there video evidence of it?
Armstrong used to be a professional football player, and yes, there's a point when he basically crushes Raiden into a ball, throws him in the air and kicks him into a wall while an invisible crowd cheers.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

If the goofiness and tongue-in-cheek of Metal Gear is something that appeals to you, then get the game right away. "Don't gently caress with this senator!" is a drop in the ocean of absurdity that is Metal Gear Rising. Even if you don't usually like action-heavy high-speed brawlers it's still a fantastic game; it's one of my least favorite genres but I got hooked almost right away, the combat is just so goddamn satisfying when you get the hang of it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That's just purestrain Kojima; before MGS4 came out he was going on about wanting to add stuff like trees and plants growing in real time into the game (obviously it didn't happen due to time/PS3 restraints) but I'm a sucker for that stuff too. It's kind of a natural leap from the way food rots in MGS3 and how The End can just pop his clogs if you save during the fight and wait a week or whatever it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

randombattle posted:

I'm just sad that we will probably never see octocamo the way it was supposed to be in mgs4.
This is one of the things that bums me out the most about the lack of Solid Snake-timeline MGS games. Octocamo was just the coolest thing and I'm sure it could be done now so it mimics not just the environment but the exact spot you're in in realtime, including animated water and all that as it was originally planned. It really should've become one of the mainstays of the series along with the ration and the like.

I forget, is camouflage used at all in MGSV/GZ? I don't remember there being much talk about it but I haven't seen any indication of it being used in gameplay videos and such.

• Locked thread