Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It won't be the same without Hayter but hell this still looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This isn't the first voice acting gig Sutherland has had. Not sure why everyone acts like it is.

This is his first voice acting gig that anyone gives a poo poo about (ok I liked the Nutcracker Prince as a kid but that was forever ago). Quite frankly he hasn't impressed me so far.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
As other's have said, he just sounds bored and really does nothing with the voice. During the intro the only reason I knew it was Snake talking was because it was Kiefer's voice and I knew Kiefer was playing Snake. I guess its good that he doesn't try to mimic Hayter's distinct intonations but at the same time its like who is this guy? Kiefer has quite a distinct voice himself, and he doesn't seem to be doing anything to mask it, so we're just getting Jack Bauer coming out of Snake's face and personally its a little distracting.

Renoistic posted:

I really enjoyed Sutherland's acting in the previous trailer so I was almost shocked when he botched this one so badly. I really hope they don't gently caress this up.

And yeah this. In the first trailer the only problem was it wasn't Hayter. In this trailer the problem is it isn't Hayter and there is like no emphasis or personality put into it. I have hope that overall it'll be fine, but I don't think I'll ever get used to it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

fivegears4reverse posted:

Normal people do not talk like Solid Snake or Big Boss (or even The Boss, for that matter). Some folks think of this as good acting (with The Boss being an exception there, god her voice was weird).

Which is the problem. What the gently caress is a normal sounding person doing in a MGS game? That's why he sounds out of place.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

fivegears4reverse posted:

I dunno, I think you're taking the "everyone is kerrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaazy" thing too far. In general, the actual acting in this snippet is pretty much better than the "acting" in every other MGS, because it's not played up for theatrics so far (this will definitely change by the end of the game I'm sure). It fits what I'm perceiving to be the intended mood. Snake is cynical, bitter and spiteful sounding. He doesn't need "rgerherghegrhergerghrrrrrrrrgrhgrhrr" added at the end of every other word in a sentence to convey this. Even Kaz is subdued. These are actually badguys planning bad things now, terrorists not heroes.

Well I'd say by that some logic you're taking the whole "everyone is so daaaaaaark" thing too far. This is still an MGS game and quite frankly Snake does not sound cynical, bitter or spiteful. He doesn't sound like he's conveying any emotion at all which is, in my opinion, not strictly better than the hammier style of past games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The reason people tend to dislike The Boss's voice is because that voice actress has a recurring role on Family Guy where she uses the exact same voice. She had this role well before MGS3 was released. So people find it a bit jarring when they hear that voice coming out of such a major character. I get where they're coming from. I have to actively suspend my disbelief in order to not find it distracting. I still think she did a good job though.

Well gently caress now I'm really glad I have no idea what voice that is because yeah I could see that being a little distracting.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NO! NOT WATCHIN' IT!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Upmarket Mango posted:

I have a dualshock 3 I want to play ground zeroes with but the analogue sticks dont work and the rest of the controls are all crazy too. Is there anyway I can get this properly set up to play with?

Are you using MotionInJoy drivers? If not than google that and get it set up (you want the Better DS3 tool if you can get it to work), the idea being that you'll emulate an xbox 360 controller since that what most games are compatible with.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I felt like I was doing something wrong during the boss fights in PW. Use all my rockets to do a piddly amount of damage, call in a drop to refill my ammo, repeat for 10-15 minutes. Overall, they sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Machinegunboyo posted:

the plot of 4 is bad and I like to pretend it never happened

Don't agree but it didn't have much to do with whats gonna happen in 5. If you played 1, 3 and PW you're set.

• Locked thread