Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It's been an entire year since we first heard about this game, so I wonder how far off it is from being released? I would guess that like MGS4, it's going to be in the PS4 and Xbox One's second year, although since the last game developed by Kojima was released in 2010 (Rising was developed by Platinum Games), then they've already been working on it for three years. It's also been developed alongside the new FOX engine, so that's going to add a long time to development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AASman posted:

You had to find ammo and silencers for it and you could only carry a limited supply so you had to use it wisely. It also wouldn't hold up in a fire fight. It also brought non-lethal stealth to the series which I love. In MGS2 and 3 at least, it was more balanced. MGS4 and Peace Walker you could just purchase as much ammo as you want or have you R&D unit give you a bunch. I really think on higher difficulties like hard and extreme waking up from a tranq should get you caution mode same as a knockout.

Actually, I think Peace Walker balanced it the best by having the silencer degrade with each shot, and you only get one in a mission. You can upgrade it through R&D, but it's never unlimited like MGS2/4. Also, helmeted soldiers are very hard to take out without entering caution mode.

The fact that it needs to be reloaded after each shot and doesn't cause the enemy to flinch is what made it less useful in combat in MGS2, but it still had to be good enough to fight bosses with. They should have used some drop-off to prevent you from hitting really far away targets with it, though, especially in MGS3 where you can use a binocular trick to line up your shot perfectly. That's what the Mosin Nagat/PSG1-T is for anyway, which is balanced by the lack of a silencer.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Those crosshairs are hideous.

I thought it might show the tranquilliser's drop-off, but they didn't use it on any enemies far away, so it's hard to tell. It would make sense to include drop-off, since they're much larger and slower than bullets, plus it would balance one of the most broken items in the series.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

John Luebke posted:

They did that for all the main games except MGS3 actually, even the codec portraits in MGS1 had their mouth flaps redone to work with the english dub.

With MGS2 the lip sync isn't quite perfect in both versions but it's clearly different if you compare scenes between the english and japanese versions.

The HD version of MGS2 actually kept the lip sync for the english dub in the japanese release and it's really noticable.

It's a shame that they didn't redo the lip animations for MGS3, especially since they wouldn't need to do anything for the codec conversations, since it's a silhouette talking to a photograph.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In Portal 2, they used a placeholder voice for Wheatley before they got Stephen Merchant to do it, so it's not unusual. I don't really mind the change, since I quite liked the more restrained Snake voice in MGS1, and Keifer sounds quite like that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

I can't agree whatsoever with the "chemistry" thing. Chemistry between actors is more readily noticeable when they record/act together. MGS, so far as I'm aware, has the actors go into the booth separately, with only certain scenes recorded in a group. It's the same problem that plagues dubs in anime and most videogames in general: the first one to record basically sets the tone, while everyone else has to match it to the director's satisfaction. The problem is, it often takes away the potential to get dialogue to sound like an actual conversation, as opposed to one guy saying their lines, then the other guy says their lines.

It was actually done differently in the first game, but the recording conditions for MGS1 were kinda lovely (which lead the dialogue getting re-recorded in Twin Snakes).

The voice acting for Snatcher was done with all the actors in the same room, which was supposed to be because of the limited budget didn't allow for separate sessions, but they said it actually worked out really well. Doing that does have it's problems, such as in Uncharted 3 where Cutter's actor had to leave to work on The Hobbit, and was written out of the story pretty bluntly.

John Luebke posted:

MGS2 is pretty terrible about this as well, Raiden's constant "Huh's" and "What's" with a delivery that never really fitted the situation were already bad enough.

You can also do this at a whim in every codec conversation with the shoulder buttons, and listen to Snake/Raiden's thoughts.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Don Gato posted:

I think Kojima said that the only things he wouldn't put into the series was time travel and space, which probably includes aliens.

Though technically Raiden went back in time in the Subsitance bonus movies, so maybe aliens are possible too :v:

Ocelot being an alien would be the biggest cop-out ever. Alien technology would be the new nanomachines.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

I completely ignore that explanation. Nope, it was all a magic ghost arm. Nanomachines? What are those?

The proper reading of the series is that magical powers are real, but are suppressed by the Patriots because they want us to believe in nanomachines instead. Maybe this is why Snake's so skeptical of them in MGS4, since he's seen some pretty crazy poo poo before they were even invented.

That syringe Snake uses to defeat Vamp? Holy water. Johnny's incontinence? It goes away after he removes his mask, so maybe it was infected. Hell, even Screaming Mantis turned out to be the actual loving ghost of an actual loving psychic, so they didn't completely explain everything away with nanomachines.

E: What cobalt impurity said.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Snix posted:

Hopefully the point where Metal Gear can't go on is the point where Konami retires the series.

It'll be a shame to see Solid Snake and Big Boss go, but there's always Raiden, with Platinum games right beside him.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

As long as the MSX names are there, I'm happy.

SHOOT GUNNER
RUNNING MAN
DIRTY DUCK

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Phantom Pain is coming out on current-gen stuff, right? So I can get Ground Zeroes and then Phantom Pain later for the same system? I don't want to have to buy a PS4 sooner than I intended just to finish a game I started on my 360.

A lot of the cross-generation launch games for the PS4 and X1 let you upgrade your current gen versions for $10. Even if you bought it on disc, you can put the PS3/360 disc in you can download and play the PS4/X1 version respectively.

I'm surprised that it's coming out so soon, since I was expecting late 2014. That might be when the full game comes out, but having something to tide me over will make the wait less frustrating.

They gave out half of the Tanker chapter from MGS2 with Zone of the Enders, so this sounds like the same sort of thing, but with a lot more content and a whole lot less anime whining.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is getting a price drop, and the DLC is now free.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-05-metal-gear-rising-revengeance-dlc-made-free

OK, it was put on the EU PS+ quite recently, but since I never bothered to pick up the Blade Wolf DLC because of it's poor reception, I can at least try it out for free.

E: VVV The EU store updates on Wednesdays, and the US store updates on Tuesdays. Hopefully we'll get the free DLC and price cut tomorrow.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 5, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Raiden does have artificial blood in MGS2, though. He's surprised when the Colonel tells him that they drained all his blood and replaced it.

In MGS2, his blood is red, in MGS4 it's white, and in Metal Gear Rising it's red again, except in the Japanese version where it's still white. In Metal Gear Rising's case, the white blood is probably because of censorship, but it's odd how it seems to switch around all the time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

I think I missed this in MGS4 but according to a wiki Col. Campbell started dating Rose and told Raiden he had a kid with her or something. Dude is like 70 years old, that is not only incredible hosed up but gross. But I guess it was all a ploy or something stupid. Was this a thing? I don't remember it at all.

Campbell and Rose act like they know each other in MGS4, but Rose never met the real Campbell in MGS2, since he was an AI. Not to mention how weird it was that Rose met Raiden in the middle of Manhatten minutes after a giant battleship crashed into it, and how nonchalant everyone else seems to feel about it.

Rose and Jack aren't really brought up in Rising, but that's probably for the better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I will never forgive Al Qaeda for this.

They're also responsible for planes not being in GTA III, in case anyone wanted to offend themselves by flying a plane into a building.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

It's not a bad game. Most certainly not as bad as Goons were making it out to be. How are your controls set up? Right now I am rolling with the default, but I am considering switching to the D-pad for move, because it seems less finicky when it comes to first person aiming.

One really good idea that Portable Ops had, and not other games did, was a button you could hold down to walk. That would have been really useful in Peace Walker, since the analogue nub was very difficult to move small distances. MGS3 let you sneak with the d-pad though, but for some reason that was the only way to move silently, and even using the analogue stick to walk as slowly as you can will still make a noise.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd rather have CQC slamming that doesn't alert enemies than no slamming at all.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

The localization was handled by 8-4 instead of being done in-house as usual. That probably had no bearing on who actually dubbed the game.

8-4 are also responsible for Nier, right? I could only imagine how much more enjoyable Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII would have been with them. OK, not so much for FFXIII, but maybe a little more coherent.

Nier's development was also done with the localisation in mind, with major changes to the story and characters to accommodate the father-daughter dynamic rather than the brother-sister one in the Japanese (PS3) version. I think Platinum's games (as well as a lot of Capcom games) are written in English, so they never come across like poor dub in the way that games like FFX or MGS3 had when they tried to match the Japanese lip movements.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If they kept the top-down camera from MGS1/2, and designed the stages around it, then it would have played absolutely fine. MGS2 doesn't even use the right analogue stick until you get the HF Blade.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The best thing Portable Ops had going for it was being able to play as so many different characters. Some of the bosses can be recruited if you kill them non-lethally, and a lot of the characters from MGS3 can be unlocked. I think Portable Ops+ also let you play as Old Snake and MGS2 Radien, but I never played that one.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh God damnit. They had better release a GOTY edition with both the MGS1 and Raiden missions.

Good job Platinum, you've made Raiden a really awesome character to play as. I wonder if Big Boss remembers the last time they met?

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 9, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

timeandtide posted:

When considering last-gen/next-gen, I'd consider that some of the people who managed to get hands on demos of Ground Zeroes in October said the difference was "night and day." Last-gen looked good graphically but next-gen blows it away and runs smoother - apparently last-gen had issues with pop in and framerates.

The PS3 and 360 versions will target 30 fps, while the PS4 and Xbox One will go for 60 fps. It's a shame that they haven't announced a PC version yet, especially given how much they were boasting about the Fox engine's cross-platform capabilities. The most recent Pro Evolution Soccer uses the engine and got a PC release, too.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I wish Peace Walker didn't make you jump through so many hoops to get the real ending, or any of the other content. The game doesn't tell you which missions will unlock something else for getting an S-rank, so you need to look up a guide unless you want to waste time trying to S-rank everything.

They should have showed you every Extra Op in the menu, with the requirements to unlock it. Also, how many design specs are still there for you to collect. The game is as bad as Super Mario Sunshine, which had 240 blue coins scattered throughout the entire game, and it didn't tell you which ones you had already collected, or where any of them remained. Without a guide, it'd be almost impossible, and all you get for 120 stars is a different ending picture.

This obtuse bullshit must be something carried over from the Monster Hunter genre, where they expect you to be playing it on the train in Tokyo, where you can talk to your friends about how to progress. I shouldn't have to play through hours of minigames and bullet-sponge armoured vehicles just to find out whether it will unlock something.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I hope Chip and Ironicus ever get round to doing Let's Play Killer7 Again: This Time We Explain What The gently caress Is Going On.

Or: A Political, Historical, And Thematical Analysis Of Travis' Shirts.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This website is canon.

I tried Cloud Strife, and it came back with THE SHARP STANDARD MATERNITY SWORD

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sometimes achievements/trophies are integral to the game, rather than just being the standard 'get a trophy for each chapter you complete, as well as getting every collectable'. For instance, Noby Noby Boy and Spelunky.

There are no win or lose conditions in Noby Noby Boy, although getting a certain number of people to ride you, or learning how to poo poo two creatures out at the same time to combine them are goals tied into the trophies. Plus, all the trophy icons line up to make a picture.

Your aim in Spelunky might just be to get the regular ending and the secret ending, but the trophies encourage many different types of playthroughs. There are basic ones for getting to the end within a certain time or finishing with a large amount of money, but can you complete the game while avoiding picking up any money at all? Can you make it to the last world while still holding onto the key you get if the first one?

I think one of the flaws with the trophy system is the way it encourages you to try and get every trophy for each game, rather than having trophies that only the best of the best will ever get. A no damage run on Dante Must Die would be a great challenge for any hardcore Devil May Cry fan, but people who just want to add another platinum trophy to their collection would complain about it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This is true however it is also true that caring about an AI existing in a game that takes place in the 70s is totally retarded.

Valid opinions, yet also tard tastic.

The reason the series gave for this is that the Patriots withheld a lot of technological breakthroughs for themselves.

Really it's just an excuse to let them make a fun game without getting bogged down with the details. There's no point in complaining about AI in the 70's when Snake is brought to an island filled with monsters by a talking cat.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Unfortunately if you want to play MGS3 with a good control scheme, you'd have to do it on a 3DS with a Control Pad Pro. Even then, the second analogue stick isn't in a great position, and the game runs at 400x240 with a frame rate that can drop down to 15 fps. Once you've played it at 60 fps on the HD version, it's hard to go back.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Several years from your life. I dare to say that most people who grew up with MGS2 and MGS3 have no trouble with the controls. Personally, they feel completely natural despite the fact that MGS4 greatly improved the overall control scheme. If the level design in MGSV is as good as it seems, it could very well be the best game in the series yet.

The controls of the first three games only make sense if you played them in order, but there are still a lot of things that aren't intuitive or explained properly in the game. In addition to having much more standard control schemes, MGS4 had a guide you could refer to for the details on CQC and such, and Peace Walker removed a lot of the unnecessary actions while also providing a tutorial at the start of the game to let you get used to each ability.

It's a shame that MGS3's convoluted control scheme makes it harder for people to play for the first time, especially since story and gameplay-wise it's a great starting point for new people without having to put up with the antiquity of MGS1 and 2. I'd either recommend playing the first two, or just looking up a guide that explains how it all works.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This Johnny talk made me remember that when Johnny's face was finally revealed they did it in a really dramatic way as if he was gonna be the next Snake or something. Then they made a bunch of prequels, and a sequel where the only returning cast members were Raiden and Sunny.

Ground Zeroes exceeds everyone's expectations. Anticipation for The Phantom Pain in sky high, and when it finally releases, players are granted with the familiar lines: "This is Snake. Colonel, can you hear me?"

They're unusually high pitched and uncertain-sounding, and Snake's sneaking suit appears to have a rather large patch.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ausmund posted:

Any word on how this is going to run on a PS3? I have no reason to get a PS4 for now. Are they going to release a demo for it or anything?

We know that it's going to run at 30 fps on current-gen consoles, and 60 fps on next-gen consoles.

Ground Zeroes pretty much is a large demo for The Phantom Pain, but released much earlier. There were some launch games for the PS4 that let you upgrade the PS3 version for $10, but that offer only applied for a few months, and that was probably just so the games would sell well on launch day rather than having everyone wait until the new consoles launched.

I have a feeling that MGSV is going to feel pretty held back on the last-gen consoles, so I'd recommend holding out until The Phantom Pain comes out, and getting a PS4 around then for it. I'd also guess that it's coming out in early 2015, but late 2014 is a possibility.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

quote:

We will not pursue cinematic visuals!
Pffft!

They were thinking of making it cell shaded at one point. The guards in the VR missions in MGS2 Substance use it, and there's a cell-shaded version of Mei Ling that you can see in The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2.

That was a brilliant disc, and you got it for free with MGS2 Substance in Europe. I wish it was included in the HD collection, but they had to cram that into two Xbox 360 discs. You could view all the character and location models in the game, and even view the cutscenes with a completely adjustable camera. There wasn't enough space on the PS2 disc to have the cutscenes' audio as well, but that's something they could have solved with the HD collection.

There were even unreleased trailers for the game, as well as the infamous E3 2000 and 2001 trailers, and an untranslated version of the game's design document. You can read it in English online, thankfully.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

That's the thing about MGS2 and why it is my favorite Metal Gear, even though I think MGS1 is technically better in a few substantial ways. You mention reading a lot of people's "interpretations" of the game and that is really what Sons of Liberty is all about. Its postmodern nature encourages the mystery and ambiguity and Kojima has actually said "In the game, Raiden asks Snake a few times "what am I supposed to do?" And I made sure that Snake's response is always "it's up for you to decide." That is really the message I want to tell players - you need to decide what is important for you (emphasis mine) to take away from the experience." There was going to be even more mystery in the original, with the aforementioned "MGSIII" but also the fact the identity of the ninja would never be explained.

Yeah, MGS4 was a big letdown in how it handled the story continuing from MGS2's ending. The Patriots talk directly to you at the end of MGS2, but in MGS4 they're just a bunch of non-sentient computers that decided to create the war economy and censor the internet.

One thing I never understood was how Rose and Colonel Campbell knew each other in MGS4, when they never actually met in MGS2 since the colonel in that game was actually an AI. Rose's new design was pretty good though, but I don't know what the point was to only having two codec frequencies you could call, and one of them was just for telling you how to prevent your psyche from going down.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The point was probably "Holy poo poo this game is costing a lot of money and now you want us to animate and lip sync the codec calls?

They did that in MGS2 for both characters, but in MGS4 Otacon and Rose at least felt like they weren't just a talking head against a green background. MGS2 used codecs as cheaper alternatives for cutscenes near the end of the game because lip sync by itself is easier than full-body motion capture and using camera angles as well.

Kibayasu posted:

Anyways, I always assume that since Snake and Raiden apparently became war buddies at the end of MGS2 Campbell came up at some point between the two games.

You wouldn't think it, but Otacon throws the most incredible Shadow Moses and Big Shell reunion parties.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ausmund posted:

She's like Snake's therapist and I thought the calls were fun to listen to. She's also the only person that seems to care about what Snake's going through. Otacon teases him, Meryl talks down to him, and Sunny won't let him smoke. Poor Old Snake :wal:

I thought Snake's interactions with Raiden were interesting, if somewhat cringeworthy at times. He's one of the few people he seemed to care about, rather than just grumble at while they monologued.

I was wondering how Raiden would get along with Big Boss, but then I remembered the best Secret Theatre from MGS3, as well as the Microsoft-exclusive DLC for Ground Zeroes. Too bad I won't get to play the latter.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Imagine all the crazy grunting, yelling, and screaming that would come from a MGS fighting game. :allears:

Oh God, every time someone dies their name is screamed by one of their allies.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Snake is great in Smash Bros Brawl, and Raiden is one of the best characters in PlayStation All-Stars, so it'd be great to see them in more fighting games. I think there was even a Smash Bros clone on the PS2 which had Snake, Bomberman, and Optimus Prime.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Kojima tweeted this:

:unsmith:

Is that Solid Snake or Big Boss on the right? He looks a lot younger than Big Boss is in Ground Zeroes, so I'd assume it's Solid Snake at the age he was in MGS1, except he has the eye patch.

It's pretty cool how far game graphics have come in 16 years, though.

E: Here's what Young Snake looked like in MGS4, for reference.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 30, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It helps that the radio conversations don't have any lip sync at all, so the actors can just talk naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Everyone went through the ending for the first time at 4AM. I think that's the perfect time for it.

• Locked thread