Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Peace Walker is a bit jarring, since it's so different, but I'm playing it right now and loving it.

Hasn't it been confirmed that the Peace Walker cast are back for this game? So the voice actors are confirmed? I'm expecting Hayter to make a cameo in the after credit scene at least - it seems like a good way to lead into Metal Gear 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Peace Walker takes some getting used to, but when it clicks, it's great. That torture scene is still awful and nearly ruins the game though, and I'm not sure what the character of Cécile added to the story. I'm playing solo and struggling to take down the Mk 2 AI weapons - I need those pieces for ZEKE, creepy singing Boss pod! :argh:

Peace Walker has the best gag of the series - David Hayter shouting "Mr. Kojima?!" is hilarious.

Since Big Boss's coma is when Zero stole the DNA to clone him, I presume Zero will be in the game, probably as the main villain?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I thought MGS 4 was a PS3 exclusive due to the Blu-Ray being supposedly the only way to hold all the data or something, yet this is coming out on current and next Gen consoles?

Is there a reason MGS 4 wasn't multi-console? If the 360 can handle the FOX Engine, surely it could handle MGS 4?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

AASman posted:

From what I understand PS3 and 360 have very different infrastructures and MGS4 was designed specifically around the PS3's hardware. Porting it over to the 360 would have been too much work. They worked on Peace Walker instead.

So MGS 4 could work on the 360, but would need to be altered? Shame they don't do the altering and just make the port, they'd make their money back, easy. Why not just just have a different team work on a port, like how the HD Collection was done by a different group? That, and a port of Portable Ops, and MGS 1 on Live Arcade would be great - it would be nice to have the full story in one place, you know?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

For some reason, the last Zadornov mission isn't unlocking. I've found him six times, my intel is over level 40, I have at least one extra plant (I think I have six?), and ZEKE is complete with a railgun, but I'm still not getting the call to say that Kaz doesn't know where he is. Should I just grind until it triggers? Can I replay mission to add to the trigger, or does it only count first time completion of a mission towards the internal timer? I've even checked Extra Ops 1 to make sure I didn't skip the cutscene, and he's not there.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Honestly, I play Metal Gear for the (brilliantly insane) plot more than the gameplay. So long as it feels like an MGS game and doesn't change the core, iconic elements of gameplay, that's OK by me.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I didn't like Peace Walker's gameplay at first, and even when I'd got used to it, I was more interested in the story.

I saw the levels as a way to break up the plot, whereas in the other games, I could enjoy the plot and sneaking (though I am very bad at sneaking games as a rule - getting "Foxiest of Hounds" achievement in Dues Ex: Human Revolution was a tricky task for me) equally.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The thing is, voice acting and physical acting are pretty different types of acting. Some actors can crossover between the two disciplines, some can't.

If Sunderland can pull this off is something we'll have to wait and see. Hayter was a bit hammy, but he could pull off the darker and more somber moments - the guy really got the characters of Snake and Big Boss and his performance was a big part of the Metal Gear experience. If the game is about Big Boss's descent into madness, I can see why they wanted someone who can really convey that.

Maybe Hayter will appear as a young Snake in a section where Big Boss is mentoring Snake before the events of Metal Gear. I get the feeling that Hayter will appear in some shape or form.

The music we've heard so far is amazing though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This isn't the first voice acting gig Sutherland has had. Not sure why everyone acts like it is.

Yeah, like, um the time he voiced Littlefoot's dad in The Land Before Time X!

I guess people are just a little cautious, since Hayter has played Snake since 1998 - he's become an iconic part of the franchise.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

They could have just asked Hayter to tone it down a notch - he's done quite a few darker moments as Snake and they've worked well. I remember reading that when Christopher Randolph was recording his dialgoue for Peace Walker, they got him to make his voice closer to his performance in MGS 1, rather than the later games - why not get hayter to do the same?

Also, I hope the scenes between Huey and Snake work out - Randolph and Hayter have had great chemistry throughout the series. I guess it's just people don't want to see an iconic character changed.

The fact that the evil version of FOX is called XOF is the most Metal Gear thing ever.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Snatcher's voice acting is really good, especially considering the era and the budget of the game it's from.

I really dig the voice acting in Metal Gear overall - the only voice I've never really liked is Rose's. Otacon and Snake's conversations are my favourite part of the series, without a doubt.

And Paul Eiding as Campbell. Can you imagine anyone else in that role? The man has the perfect voice for that character.

I wasn't aware that The Boss's voice was disliked. I though the calm, slightly detached tone fitted her character. I really hope that Jim Piddock is doing Zero's voice in MGS 5. I mean, if the game is about Big Boss's fight against Cipher, you'd expect Zero to appear, right?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

If games having the same voice actors freak you out, realising how many games Jennifer Hale and Steve Blum are in will ruin games forever for you, so it's a silly argument.

Apparently the voice acting in the first MGS wasn't even done in a proper studio, but an apartment with recording equipment set up (!).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Obviously the cross promotion in MGS V will be with Cooking Mama as you help Sunny make the perfect eggs.

I've just finished watching ChipCheezum's LP of MGS 4. I can see why people might not like some bits, and it might be a chore to play at times, but when that game had it's moments, it was amazing. Ocelot and Snake's fist fight is the most :stare: crazy thing.

I love how Ironicus is just baffled by the most Metal Gear moments.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 30, 2013

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Nanomachines don't explain Snake's infinite ammo bandana, which he states is actually an actual item he owns, not a gameplay mechanic.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

You know how every few months there's a thread in GBS where a Goon has found a group of libertarians who plan to move out into international waters and start their own stateless government and we all have fun laughing at how silly it is?

Well, Mother Base is kind of like that, except instead of neckbeards who have read Atlas Shrugged too much, MSF has the world's best solider, a Metal Gear and a nuclear warhead to back themselves up.

Also, I don't think Big Boss is playing with a full pack of cards by the time of Peace Walker. His speech about Outer Haven seems to show his growing insanity and megalomania after the Paz fight.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

If Big Boss's new hand is based on Zadornov's, I hope there's an option to shoot it at enemies. :allears:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Spalec posted:

but only if they include all the hilarious dumb stuff like Poisonous Zanzibar hamsters and convincing a guard it's really night by hatching an owl and making it hoot.

The fact that Metal Gear 1 and 2 are in such close canon to the rest of the series is amazing. :allears:

It's no wonder Snake was able to beat Big Boss twice if those were the kind of guards he was hiring. Maybe the Uncle of the owl guard was the one responsible for letting Skullface blow up Mother Base. That would be a great bit of foreshadowing.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It reminds me of how Dead Rising 2: Case Zero worked. I thought that was a clever model, and it suprised me that it never caught on.

£19.99 is a bit steep, but if there's more content than just that camp level, it should be worth it. Is the boxed version only coming out for the next gen versions?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I hope there's a good quality download of Sins of the Father on itunes sometime. They don't even have the Snake Theme on there, but they do have Heavens Divide.

Words that kill! is good, but its the bit where Donna Burke belts THE SINNNNNNSSSSS NEVER DIE! is the best part. The entire song is sums up the series so well, it might as well just be called MetalGearSolid.mp3.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 12, 2013

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

One voice change that does seem really interesting in MGS V is Troy Baker as Revolver Ocelot. His take on the character really does sound like a younger take on Patric Zimmerman's version. With all the voice cast controversy over this title, it's nice to see that at least one new comer seems to have nailed it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I wonder if the poisonous zanzibar hamsters will appear in The Phantom Pain? Mainly because hearing Keither Sutherland say that line would be hilarious.

I hope they keep some of Big Boss's stranger character traits (even though they fitted David Hayter's version of the character more). Big Boss being a little dim and even a bit naive in the MGS 3 radio calls was one of my favourite parts of that game.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 20, 2013

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

There's also this video if you want the full experience in 4 minutes :v:

Not really, some spoilers there, its a joke (an accurate joke)

How much of MGS 4 is just Jennifer Hale saying nano machines?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wait, reunite with Paz? Didnt she turn on everybody at the end of Peace Walker and died in Zeke? I can already tell this is gonna be good.

The Phantom Pain red band trailer confirms she escaped from Zeke. That, and Tara Strong is listed as a voice actress for the game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

The article does make a good point about Naomi'a accent - Jennifer Hale did sound more energetic in MGS 1 with it, rather than later games where she doesn't have it.

Raiden's character makes sense only when you get to the big reveals. If you just play the start, he seems whiny, but by the end of the game, it really makes sense.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

People forget she also played Emma, who had no accent and yet was a lively, normally talking human being. (in terms of inflection and stuff at least)

I didn't notice that Emma was voiced by Hale until I played the HD collection. Compared to a lot of her voicework, like her voice for Naomi, her voice for Emma sounds quite different - it took me a little while to go "oh yeah, that's Jennifer Hale".

I rather like the voice acting in the series - the voices really feel like they fit the characters.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

There was a shark boss fight originally planned for MGS 2? :stare:

The harrier fight is one of my favourite voice acting bits in the series. David Hayter and John Cygan trying to out-yell each other is great. I'm suprised that there are fans that really dislike MGS 2. It has story telling problems, yes, and it's not as good as MGS 3, but it's still aged pretty well, and has a lot to recommend about it.

I finished MGR - it's a shame Armstrong doesn't have more screen time. Every line of dialogue he has is great. I'm glad the DLC is free, since the Bladewolf DLC is so short that I would have felt ripped off paying for it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

Is that Solid Snake or Big Boss on the right? He looks a lot younger than Big Boss is in Ground Zeroes, so I'd assume it's Solid Snake at the age he was in MGS1, except he has the eye patch.

After MGS 3, Big Boss and Snake look quite different. He looks like he has the same shaped face Big Boss did in MGS 4, I think. Maybe it's part of the PS3 exclusive gimmick mission? Since that's meant to be a MGS 1 homage.

I'm guessing it's Big Boss as MGS 1 era Snake?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Remember way back when everyone thought MGS 3 was going to be fully open world after seeing the E3 trailer?

A decade or so later, we're actually getting a fully open world MGS game! :aaa:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Previously, on Alan Wake.

It worked with Alan Wake because of how much it homaged Twin Peaks though. Alan Wake felt like a serialised story to the point where I could easily imagine a miniseries TV adaptation of it.

Considering that we've had multiple trailers for The Phantom Pain, it seems weird that we have no idea when it will be released. Dead Rising 2: Case Zero released, like a month before the main game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Snowcow posted:

Does anyone know if you can get the exclusive DLC on PS3/360? Or is it current-gen only?

The Raiden mission is listed among the achievements for the Xbox 360 version.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Amazon keeps sending me e-mails to buy this, but I've already gone over my fun budget this month.

I really can't justify that short a game for that much just yet. Guess I'll just have to fire Peace Walker and hope people are playing during the free Xbox gold thing next week. :unsmith:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Speedball posted:

Darksyde Phil plays Ground Zeroes, gets rear end handed to him yet again. Who wants to bet? At least there's probably no quicksand this time.

"Ok, so we're going to see what Kojima has come up with this time. WHAT how was I supposed to know that you have to hide from the guards?! Kojima. This is STOOPID, I bet Kojima thinks this is great. How did he see me? Paz? What's that? The game doesn't explain anything. WHOHOHAHA. *burp*. [something racist about asian people] THIS IS SO STUPID. Kojima!"

There, I just recreated his inetibale LP for you.

Considering his weird obsession with hating Kojima AND Troy Baker, he'll probably never shut about it in The Phantom Pain. I'm not sure how anyone can hate Troy Baker - he sounds like he's nailed Ocelot's voice.

(Phil hates Troy Baker because Troy Baker can sing and play the guitar well, and wore a fashionable scarf once. Really).

Hopefully Chip and Ironicus will have a good LP as usual. I want to see Chip just make MGS look effortless and cool again. I like his MGS ones, it's the only way I've experienced MGS 4.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

So is Ground Zeroes worth £19, or should I hold on for the price to go down more?

I've been really indecisive about it - I'm talking about the 360 version here.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Speedball posted:

I think the closest we'll get to a modern Snatcher game is Binary Domain. Though that was a lot less detective work and a whole lot more junking.

Binary Domain is like a really insane version of Snatcher. If Snatcher is noir, Binary Domain is a summer action movie.

And it's hilarious. :allears:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I thought that Hayter was mainly a writer who sometimes did VA?

I'm actually interested in seeing the movie he's directing, because you know, Snake is directing a movie!

Hayter voice DLC would still be cool though. :colbert:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

Xmen's a good accomplishment. Watchmen could never have been a good film though, regardless of screenwriter, so I can't in all good consciousness say it's better than the most iconic videogame voice ever (other than that Mario prick).

I don't think he wrote the shooting script for Watchmen, but enough material was used from his draft for him to get a credit. The way scriptwriting works is weird in Hollywood. It sounds like Hayter mainly works behind the screens in Hollywood productions - he runs a production company that does script work, and voice acting is more of a side thing.

It's a shame he doesn't do more voice work, really. The VA in MGS has always had a lot of heart put into it, even (especially?) when the scripts get...odd.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Remember, Big Boss is meant to be the world's greatest solider. Why do you think the Patriots try over and over again to replicate him in different ways? It's actually a good handwave for gameplay mechanics in the story.

Big Boss is so badass that the bad guys want to clone more badasses from him, or stick his badass genes in others to make them more badass. That's literally the plot of MGS 1 and 2.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm not sure if it's the slightly awkward translations, but Kojima's twitter has this almost breathless enthusiasm that's really adorable. :3:

The guy really, really loves movies. And Godzilla. And movies with Godzilla in them.

I hope he does make a movie one day. It'd be interesting at the very least.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 16, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I finally decided to order Ground Zeroes. I managed to get it for £16, and plan on trying to get all the achievements and mess around in the open world a lot. Will I get my moneys worth for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I don't know if I'm not fully used to the new gameplay style yet, but Ground Zeroes seems to be quite a bit harder than other Metal Gear games. Though I did struggle with Peace Walker until I got used to it, and ended up really enjoying it.

Is it just me, or does Kiefer Sutherland sound really quiet compared to the other voice actors? Robin Atkin Downes is great as Miller - he was one of the best parts of Peace Walker, good thing they brought him back for this game.

• Locked thread