Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mortalwombat posted:

I found this version of Sins of the Father without the trailer sound effects and voiceover. It's an excellent addition to the songs of the series.

Sins of the Father

Composer: Akihiro Honda
Lyrics: Ludvig Forssell
Vocals: Donna Burke

Oh cool! Thanks for posting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'm not positive anymore, but I thought Raiden could get a cold from being naked in Arsenal Gear for too long.

He totally does! Man, that game is awesome.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Could you have more objective good in an exclusive mission? I think n- oh wait system exclusive.

They even got the theme!

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lunethex posted:

I've heard of that but what does it entail?

Campbell tells you to shoot the straps on the bust in the corner of the room. Apparently it also disrupts Psycho Mantis's powers. Then you can shoot him.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh man. This'll either be the best thing or the worst thing. I'm leaning towards the worst because subtly doesn't translate well Kojima ain't subtle.

Surlaw posted:

This will probably be handled terribly but I can't imagine it being worse than that drat Paz tape. I'm expecting something more along the lines of the ham handed B&B back story monologues.

Wasn't the Paz tape(s) thing simply an unlockable that you get from pulling them out of AI cores? Like that's out of the spotlight compared to the themes that are going to be center stage.

V Yeah I'm speaking more in general terms.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 6, 2014

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also I'm still not convinced that Armstrong isn't simply mocking or lampooning Metal Gear Solid endbosses. That whole sequence just kept getting more and more ridiculous to the point of farce. Difference is that MGR had more responsive controls than that dumb fight on top of Rex.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The real survival game. We need to make sure nobody actually teaches Kojima english.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve2911 posted:

No they don't. They're terrible and we love them for it.

See I wouldn't say that necessarily, the voice direction is highly competent and not meant to be taken seriously. But also because Kojima insists on directly translating the dialogue. Then you get people saying poo poo like "What's this fairy disguise?" while being straight faced.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KidDynamite posted:

It's lovely criticism though. Paz isn't just there to show Skull Face is a bad dude. She doesn't break from the torture, she tries to comfort Chico, and she jumps out of the helicopter to spare them from the hidden bomb. She's not a round character at all but she does have more moments than just establishing Skull Face. You can't have every single character be round there will always be flat characters used to move the story along that's how fiction works. fivegears4reverse seems to genuinely not enjoy metal gears story or the way Kojima writes, so why keep consuming more of the same?

It's really not though. Again he brought up a good point that Paz was functionally dead at the end of Peace Walker. The fact that she was used only to illustrate how much of an rear end in a top hat the new villain is smacks of bad writing. This is compounded by the fact that in the last game she was used as some weird fan-service device. It's moodwhip-lash only to show how dark things are, how high the stakes are. So when a character is used only to raise the stakes and exist as a plot device (literally something used to kickstart a plot) they've ceased being a character and become a way to cover up bad writing.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve2911 posted:

I'm constantly surprised by people taking these stories seriously enough to debate and critique them. 90% of the enjoyment comes from how terrible, badly written and (sometimes) mean spirited they are.

Of course it's loving awful writing with horibble implications. That's great. It's Kojima at his most Kojima-like.

Well jeez this was supposed to be a more mature metal gear that took away the box. you think it would have a little more nuance put into the story.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sigma-X posted:

90% of Snake's lines were just him repeating the last two words of someone else's conversation in a surprised/inquisitive tone.

a Hind D?
Metal Gear?

The issue isn't what are his lines, the issue is that he doesn't have lines. I could probably count the number of Kiefer's lines in the main mission on one hand.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nakar posted:

The cutscene tone is "Platoon," but the gameplay tone is "Animal House."

Kojima, you wondrous bastard.

I can only now determine that Kojima doesn't care any more. Like less than Peace Walker caring. Seems like the flipping of expectations is Kojima's theme.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elephant Ambush posted:

It would be really nice if a single one of these complaints was, you know, new, and not the exact same copy/paste eyeroll-worthy white noise whining we've all had to endure for the past 10 years on these forums.

Guess what? Nobody actually knows why they like Metal Gear. Because we all apparently take away a clusterfuck of messages away from it that either mean it's the best thing ever or a weird soap opera about war that shouldn't be taken seriously. Maybe you should wake up sheeperson.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HnK416 posted:

I like it cause I think it's well written and also throwin' snakes at dudes, balloons on dudes, and cardboard boxes.

Holy poo poo you're right! I should've said that no one can agree on why Metal Gear is great.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Speedball posted:

Styrofoam rock. Looks like a rock, light as a feather. Unlike the oil drum or the cardboard box, it looks like a natural feature.

Ball's in your court, Kojima.

"Put a naked lady on it."

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreatGreen posted:

So hang on, are the protagonists in these games more or less meant to be ridiculous, over-the-top super badass manly man cartoon characters in a cartoon world that just happens to look realistic and gritty? Or is this stuff more like unintentional comedy coming from sincerity?

In other words are the developers in on the joke or do they really think that stuff is cool?

Nobody actually knows, friend.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cobalt impurity posted:

Backflipping off of a missile is clownish bullshit.

Hatching an owl and making it hoot to trick a guard patrolling outside into thinking it's night time so that he'll shut off the laser security grid is grounded and serious.

Like we could seriously keep going all day guys.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

K8.0 posted:

Hayter wasn't brought back because he's not a great actor and doesn't have the right look for Big Boss, and they're using facial capture for MGS V. It's really not any more complicated than that.

Hayter's in the game though guy? http://gamingbolt.com/david-hayter-sound-files-found-in-metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-medics-face-finally-uncovered

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

thats from the Jamais Vu mission in game

Clearly this is all a ruse guys. Kojima made a whole fake head and stood next to it. I remain unconvinced.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nakar posted:

I feel like I need Drebin to explain all the details to me.

Slowly.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We live in a post-racism society (or at least we will when TPP comes out!) so things like accents only serve to remind us of the differences between us. Which are bad. I might add.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dongattack posted:

MGS4 is my favorite MGS, come at me haters. The wedding was lame tho.

But you're right on both points?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Funky Valentine posted:

The REX vs. RAY Gundam fight, Big Mama's on-rails shooter, and the old man brawl on Outer Haven are the best parts of MGS4.

Ehh Big Mama's Wild Ride is ruined by an 86 year old woman doing Ric Flair style "Wooo's" whenever she rides over a slight incline.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently Kojima is a bandage for Konami when they're haemorrhaging money. They're even trying to put him on Silent Hill and who knows how that'll go. Sad thing is that it'll probably work wonderfully. It kinda makes you wonder why Kojima isn't head of Konami already considering he makes the most money for them and is essentially the Miyamoto of Konami. Oh wait it's because the work's too good and Kojima wants to do something else. :(

Edit: It just seems like the goodwill from his success should allow him to do more pet projects. It's just kinda strange to me is all. Then again business practices in foreign countries are... foreign to me. So it must make sense to someone.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 26, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gruckles posted:

Playing as Ancient Snake is the hardest difficulty and turns the game back into stealth, because if you ever enter combat you're instantly destroyed by cyborgs. You have to eliminate bosses using tricks similar to sniping The End in his wheelchair to avoid their bossfights.

Are you saying that Solid Snake becomes Harman Smith?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Heat up warriors.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress why isn't this game out yet? This is barely a question, more like a statement against laziness.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did you ever read Richard Dawkin's The Selfish Gene? It's kinda like that.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheMaestroso posted:

Which aspect of that idea doesn't make sense? I haven't read that essay, but I got the impression right away when playing that different game/story elements from the past were being brought together as a kind of culmination of the entire series (the final boss fight is a direct example of this).

In MGS4 you essentially get the ipodization of war. War is a selling point with various PMCs running ads that pimp themselves out. Hell the suits the Beauty and Beast core are essentially the new hotness of the war scene. The remixing of various tropes from previous games is Kojima drawing a parallel with Konami who keep forcing him to pimp out Metal Gear with him still on board. Therefore you get the repeating of cycles within the game story because that's what sells, much like the concept of war becoming a commodity.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would rather have David Hayter telling me not to cancel pre-orders.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vic Boss posted:

Let's talk about which voice actor is better.

No, let's not. Shut up

Yeah sorry I didn't know that we were still on a hair trigger on voice actors. I was just thinking how funny it would be if Konami got David Hayter to beg people instead of Akio Otsuka.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd settle for Punished Snake saying "Plissken?" in an incredulous tone. :allears:

To be honest Escape from New York is Kojima's life at this point....

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think I want a shirt that says "#straightestman."

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notZaar posted:

But the Japanese VA is still the same as Snake.

Then maybe Kojima should've stopped putting western sensibilities first. Which is why he was fired.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

notZaar posted:

Yup, it's an achievement.

I got it once. I've regretted it ever since.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Either way I'll be happy.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Konami actively fired Kojima for killing racism.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blackheart posted:

hopefully not

It's fine.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Harrow posted:

This game seems almost impossibly ambitious. It's taking everything that was in Peace Walker and adding on the whole open world thing and the full-scale MGS story grandeur, plus all that Mother Base customization. I'm starting to wonder what the joke is. It can't possibly be this ambitious and complete, can it?

I'm already too deep to think anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hagie posted:

So where's this horn in 4? Went back and watched the grave ending and saw no sign nor scar.

Different body; Big Boss is a ship of Theseus

• Locked thread