Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

For some reason, this episode didn't grab me like the previous two finales did. I enjoyed it as an episode, but it was just missing something, and it's frustrating as hell that I can't figure out what it is that I feel is missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Once Universal Heritage Insurance starts doing life insurance policies I think Finch's no kill proclivities may mysteriously disappear.

I think its the opposite. His no kill policy is so doesnt have to pay out those extra 'on the job' and 'killed in the line of duty benefits'. And people may buy more after getting shot in the knees.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kegslayer posted:

I think that's what I liked about the ending though. Once the gang didn't kill the Senator, it could no longer win against an opponent that was bigger and more powerful and could only just survive.

I like the number of the week format but one of the interviews that was linked here earlier suggested that they were going to take the show in a completely different direction to be more sci fi serial than another CBS episodic crime show.

Don't be ridiculous, if they drop the initial premise entirely it would be ratings suicide.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Zohar posted:

Which one was this? The stuff I've read suggested they were going to stick to the procedural format. Though I would love it if they do make the switch.

One of the posters linked this earlier.

raditts posted:

Don't be ridiculous, if they drop the initial premise entirely it would be ratings suicide.

Its one of the most popular shows at the minute that's also well written and the pure serial episodes have been well received. I don't think we'll stop getting number of the week episodes next season but the writers have clearly set up a change in direction.

edit: I didn't say it's going to be a pure serial, just that the direction seems to have changed and we'll probably get more serial episodes than number of the week ones. The stories themselves will probably be more about the future of competing AIs than another 'stop this murder from happening'.

Kegslayer fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 25, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kegslayer posted:

One of the posters linked [URL= http://zap2it.com/blogs/person_of_interest_eps_tease_season_4_ai_battles_and_the_root_and_shaw_ship-2014-05]this[/URL] earlier.

Its one of the most popular shows at the minute that's also well written and the pure serial episodes have been well received. I don't think we'll stop getting number of the week episodes next season but the writers have clearly set up a change in direction.
It won't be going pure serial. From that interview you linked (I just read it earlier today):

quote:

Johnathan Nolan: The energy that cable is bringing to television is this kind of fearlessness. You don't want to be the show that does 100 identical episodes. Our show's somewhere in the middle. We love the story engine of our show, we love the franchise of our show, we love the idea of entering a new person's world each week and trying to figure out what that person's life is and where the threat is coming from or whether that person is a threat to someone else. We never want to step completely away from that. One of the shows that we modeled this show on was "The X-Files," where you had all of that playing out against this massive backdrop. We've confidently pushed in this direction of continuing to raise the stakes on that storyline. The only thing we know how to make is a show we ourselves would be excited to watch, and so that involves a certain amount of kind of fearlessness and breaking things and seeing how to fix them.

Basically they won't go full S5 Fringe on us anytime soon (which was still episodic but not at all in it's former procedural sense). They are sticking with the format/franchise the show is known for, which is using the Machine to start the investigation off. How they get there based on the events in the finale though (the team is scattered, have to actually hide, Samaritan is watching ... while doing what they do) is for the creative team to figure out.

What this means though is that you shouldn't roll your eyes because a show is still a procedural, because I feel like they know what they're doing with the format that somehow still keeps us coming back despite the fact it's not hitting 80 mythology plot points per act.

I'd also like to point out the big serial episodes, despite being well-received from the internet and TV-aficionado community at large, people who 'tune in' into procedural shows in the vein of NCIS/CSI (jumping in when they have the time) absolutely hate it because the show will never do previouslies (or not in the typical way) to catch people up before the episode starts. Just check the Facebook page for the show following a plot heavy arc or the finales; vitriolic comments everywhere.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I have finally caught up through the S3 finale (:aaaaa:) and I just have to say...

This show is sneaky in how good it ends up becoming. It took me a while of muscling through season 1 before I got to Root and the penultimate episode and whatnot. Those were probably my big "all-in" moments. Now I'm just hugely disappointed that I have to wait with the rest of you for more episodes.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Finally caught the Finale, that was crazy; I missed the false flag, but Decima's reveal of being a technocrat, and not a capitalist made up for Vigilance being worthless.

Greer is putting his trust in a machine made to catch irregularities, but doesn't see how similar that is to the Nazis that scarred his childhood. Kinda the pitfall of worshiping numbers, it's still zealotry in the end.

Femur fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 25, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Kruller posted:

For some reason, this episode didn't grab me like the previous two finales did. I enjoyed it as an episode, but it was just missing something, and it's frustrating as hell that I can't figure out what it is that I feel is missing.

To me it felt more like a mid-season finale. And then the Carter/HR mid-season arc felt like a season finale. So maybe now we're caught in a time warp and the next mid-season finale will feel like a season finale again.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Was watching a random episode of L&O: CI and Hersch was on as a dirty bookie!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Michael Emerson is a different killer on like half a dozen episodes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Having re-watched the three season finales I can say with certainty that what was missing from the s3 one is no amazing car stunt, s1 had the explosion chase, s2 had the car crash -> helicopter caper. This season's big amazing car moment was in the Devil's Share opening montage.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Season 3 finale had hersh bicycle jack a dude with a gunshot for the Shaw/Root teamup, and Fusco almost ran down Reese & Hersh in a MRAP for Hersh's earlier bicycle jacking.

The show has a trend of hitting cars with large trucks. It's become a running joke to me like the kneecapping. The car ramming episodes I can recall off the top of my head are the Devils Share episode, the corrupt senator episode where the decima dude rams the Hero-car to save corrupt senator, Kara Stanton ramming FBI agent Donnolly's SUV at end of "Prisoners Dilemma", the S1E02 episode "Ghosts" where Reese rams a luxury car to extract info from a corrupt real estate dude.
Anyone recall the other ones?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

In 2x3 Reese and Carter t bone a car so it'll hit the crook standing in front of it to save Fusco.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I tried to find a youtube of this thinking that the Internet would provide, but it has not. :(

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

GrandpaPants posted:

I tried to find a youtube of this thinking that the Internet would provide, but it has not. :(

When archives come back there's a gif of it in the s2 thread.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You are a Human treasure, VDay.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Going back, I think my favourite non-related scene still remains the day Fusco had with that model lady. It was the most remote, "irrelevant" B-plot ever, and Chapman played reluctant guy gone starry-eyed man so well.

That Chapman is a treasure to the show, it's sad that they don't use him more. But maybe he'll get a more prominent role next season when everybody is out living a so-called normal life. They might have to seriously count on him for intel instead of Finch. Might.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that episode is easily one of my favorites. The constant and sudden cuts away from Reese to Fusco as he lives out some kind of ridiculous action movie for a day were perfect. I honestly wouldn't have minded if the show had more goofy episodes like that where there's just a random subplot going on the whole time in the background, although I kind of doubt that will happen now given how serious their situation is.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Prisoner's Dilemma is a fantastic episode and also what I consider to be the turning point for the show in terms of jumping from a pretty good show to a great one and my personal favorite. Relevance a few eps later is just icing on the cake.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

There is nothing goofy about Fusco...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I think at one point next season it has to come out that Finch is the majority stockholder in Decima and just didn't know it. Given that he is super-wealthy but doesn't seem to pay attention to any of his companies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
"My name is Harold J. Finch, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht."

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Given how much time the show spends trying to be semi-unconventional having Finch be both the hero and the villain of the show would be interesting. Given no one ever knew who he was having the company he created work against him would be interesting.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Metropolis posted:

To me it felt more like a mid-season finale. And then the Carter/HR mid-season arc felt like a season finale. So maybe now we're caught in a time warp and the next mid-season finale will feel like a season finale again.

The Carter/HR arc honestly felt like a series finale in terms of scope and emotional impact. Maybe that's why this finale fell a little flat for me, I'd already gotten that emotional high earlier in the season.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It didn't feel like that to me. As fantastic as those episodes were, the conflict with HR was not what the show is really about. It wouldn't have worked as a finale because it doesn't tie in to the broader story of the machine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think losing HR as a city-level villain left the gap between number of the week stories and world-shaking Decima stories unbridged. Maybe I always would have started feeling like the number of the week stuff was pointless network filler, despite Finch's contention that everyone is relevant, but I think the stark contrast between OMG holy gently caress moments and the mundane episodes is part of what made them seem particularly dull at times.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just bought Watch Dogs yesterday after contemplating either that, or GTA5. In the end I thought it would be fun to play the Person of Interest game so I bought WD. You're basically a composite of Reese and Root. You can reach areas by hopping from security cam to security cam instead of physically walking there. It's a drat shame you can't customize the protagonist otherwise it would have just been Root. I hope someone figures out how to mod player models in this game, but the multiplayer portion is built right into the single player map so I doubt it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That game's version of Chicago is so drat bad. Hey Ubisoft as a fellow French Canadian I sympathize but can you please expand your voice cast range so half the cast of your game set in an American city don't sound like they are from Montreal.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Still not as bad as Hong Kong in Deus Ex.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

That game's version of Chicago is so drat bad. Hey Ubisoft as a fellow French Canadian I sympathize but can you please expand your voice cast range so half the cast of your game set in an American city don't sound like they are from Montreal.

I have a friend working at Ubisoft Montreal (French Canadian here too :hfive:), who was briefly borrowed on the Watch Dogs project from his usual other-game assignment. I'll ask him where the voice actors came from, it will be interesting to know.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Sort of. The crime prevention stuff fees kinda lovely because you have to STOP THEM IN THE ACT! So you cant spook them until the game says so. Then you can kneecap them or beat them down with the baton. Or just kill em.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Regarding the Watch Dogs voice over actors, I got a reply from my Ubisoft buddy.

Casting calls are issued through agencies, auditions are performed, and actors are selected based on how their voice fits with the role, not on whether they are local or not. So actors can come from all over the place. He says that in the case of Watch Dogs, though, there was a prevalence of Canadians (though not limited to Montreal/province of Quebec) due to transportation costs and time constraints, as opposed to, for instance, Assassin's Creed where the majority were from the US.

He provided a list of the cast. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2190152/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pilli posted:

Regarding the Watch Dogs voice over actors, I got a reply from my Ubisoft buddy.

Casting calls are issued through agencies, auditions are performed, and actors are selected based on how their voice fits with the role, not on whether they are local or not. So actors can come from all over the place. He says that in the case of Watch Dogs, though, there was a prevalence of Canadians (though not limited to Montreal/province of Quebec) due to transportation costs and time constraints, as opposed to, for instance, Assassin's Creed where the majority were from the US.

He provided a list of the cast. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2190152/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

the NPC's keep saying they want ice caps and french vanillers

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

homo punching bag posted:

the NPC's keep saying they want ice caps and french vanillers

Lemme know if you spot a St. Hubert's or a Tim Horton's.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pilli posted:

An Assassin's Creed game set in Montreal/QC would be kind of cool. Obviously it would be a heroic Quebecois taking on the Templar-allied Brits :colbert:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I keep asking a friend who works at Ubi TO when their next game is going to start off with Montreal exploding, because UbiMontreal blew up Toronto in the Blood Dragon intro and I demand retribution :argh:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

Lemme know if you spot a St. Hubert's or a Tim Horton's.

On a related note, they opened a Tim Horton's in my American neighborhood.

It's very good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Oh poo poo you live in New York don't you? S4 needs to start with Fusco munching on some tim bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Dude lives in Massachusetts, if Kevin Chapman betrayed his people by eating at a chain outside of Dunkin Donuts they would nail him to a cross. Not nail him to the cross, as in some sort of idiom expressing their displeasure, but they would actually go to his house with a big ol cross and they would crucify him.

• Locked thread