Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Boogaleeboo posted:

The Machine spends most of it's time profiling, for lack of a better term, rapists and murders and terrorists. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's gotten the newsflash that lots of people suck.

Yeah, but up until now it's given itself a lobotomy every 24 hours. If the data was to pile up and the Machine is all :psyduck: and then having Root as it's go to guy for answers, she could give it a real mind loving.

The Machine right now is basically a loaded gun waiting to be pointed at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

burtonos posted:

Yeah, but up until now it's given itself a lobotomy every 24 hours.

It's had months free, which is like eons to your tiny monkey brain. It hasn't done poo poo but try to talk a psychopath out of killing people. It's not done the slightest thing ominous to anyone, and it's had *plenty* of time to do so. It's just not that sort of show.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Shaw looks sooo grumpy wearing that dress.
I feel like they've regressed her a little from her first episode. She was a female Reese in her debut, deadly, smart and suave in equal measure, while now they've made her a slightly autistic Woman in a Suit. The comparison someone made earlier in this thread about her being Fiona from Burn Notice seems appropriate now.

I get that they need to distinguish her from the existing protagonist, but it's a little sad that she's not as awesome. Then again, maybe her deceased handler helped keep her grounded and hide her social awkwardness.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Squidster posted:

Then again, maybe her deceased handler helped keep her grounded and hide her social awkwardness.
I think it's more that her partner was killed by her former bosses, who then tried to kill her too. Anyone would crack a little bit after something like that.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Shaw looks sooo grumpy wearing that dress.

:swoon:

Squidster posted:

I feel like they've regressed her a little from her first episode. She was a female Reese in her debut, deadly, smart and suave in equal measure, while now they've made her a slightly autistic Woman in a Suit. The comparison someone made earlier in this thread about her being Fiona from Burn Notice seems appropriate now.

Suave? Did I miss something? I mean, this is the chick whose entire job consisted of getting a number and, instead of investigating like Reese and Finch, neutralized them with extreme prejudice. Not to mention her entire little scene while fixing her wounds in that drug dealer's apartment and cracking open a cold one next to a dead guy. The only point I can think of that she actually shows any charm might be that little party she infiltrates to finish her mission (before getting shuffled off by Not-Reese assassin dude). She never struck me as a spy, so much as a laser-targeted air strike in human form.

They're definitely playing up her attributes a bit, but it's not exactly as stark as you make it seem. Or maybe I just totally need to go rewatch her episode again as soon as possible, like I needed another excuse to. :allears:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Generic American posted:

Suave? Did I miss something? I mean, this is the chick whose entire job consisted of getting a number and, instead of investigating like Reese and Finch, neutralized them with extreme prejudice. Not to mention her entire little scene while fixing her wounds in that drug dealer's apartment and cracking open a cold one next to a dead guy. The only point I can think of that she actually shows any charm might be that little party she infiltrates to finish her mission (before getting shuffled off by Not-Reese assassin dude). She never struck me as a spy, so much as a laser-targeted air strike in human form.

They're definitely playing up her attributes a bit, but it's not exactly as stark as you make it seem. Or maybe I just totally need to go rewatch her episode again as soon as possible, like I needed another excuse to. :allears:
The climax of her first episode was her in an evening dress wrecking professional badasses, and she did so with limitless smug confidence. However, you are totally right that she had a very simple mission goal, and didn't have to do any actual mingling or maintain a cover, though.

Lastly, "human airstrike" is a great phrase, and should absolutely be her codename.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I caught the Canadian airing earlier and OH MY GOD, you guys are in for a treat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That whole episode of just Shaw was loving amazing. I rewatched it as soon as I saw it it was that good. I think that's why I like this show, yeah sometimes it's a little slow going but man when it wants to be it's amazing.

Anyone live watching this?

I really like the intercut videos, they're really good. With you seeing the Machines "thought process" calculations.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 9, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Looks like the machine is going to have to make a move regarding Root and soon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I told you their getting towards the whole transcendence issue. Root believes in the Singularity. I still say it's going to come up soon.

Haha when did bear get the new collar?

Hell Yes! This is awesome.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 9, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pretty sure Shaw has been buying Bear some treats. :3:

Oh my god Carter and Shaw bonding.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh look, they're accessorizing :3:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Regy Rusty posted:

Pretty sure Shaw has been buying Bear some treats. :3:

Once you share noodles or treats with Bear he is your friend for life.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hahahaha the gun exchange was cute " Oh you have the nano!!!". Shaw looks so unethused.

"You look fine, you just look ...angry all the time".

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Shaw and Carter geeking out over firearms!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shaw was drinking directly out of the bottle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There should be a law against sexy cops.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The ladies bonding over shoes and gun was so amazing :3:

But Carter :ohdear:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Squidster posted:

I get that they need to distinguish her from the existing protagonist, but it's a little sad that she's not as awesome. Then again, maybe her deceased handler helped keep her grounded and hide her social awkwardness.

I don't see a problem with how Shaw has been portrayed since Shaw and by extension Hersh, Snow and Stanton are essentially all different versions of the 'Man in the Suit'. They've been through the CIA program and their personalities and the actions they take are quite similar. Hersh and Snow are loyal government man who puts orders above feelings and Shaw and Stanton are the agents who were sold out and were subsequently out for revenge (whereas Reese just gave up after he was sold out).

Shaw/Bear is the best partnership in the series:3:.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Should I shoot him now? I love Shaw. It's just all about killing, she's a loveable murderer.

Huh, so Zoe and John are a couple.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't blame her, this guy is freaking me out. :catstare:

There's gotta be a twist or something coming though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hoooooollllly poo poo. Root is not crazy and the Machine does her bidding. I for sure thought Root was being crazy.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Hollis posted:

Hoooooollllly poo poo. Root is not crazy and the Machine does her bidding. I for sure thought Root was being crazy.

Yeah I thought the reveal would be that Root is just deluding herself but the machine is definitely providing her with information and helping her.

Kegslayer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 9, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't understand why you guys thought that. The machine did call her last season after all, and we've seen it talking about retasking her.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I dunno I kind of thought the Fight Club route was where they were going. Wow, this is crazy sad :(.

This twist is so sad :(.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah this isn't LOST, the show is always very straightforward about what it tells us, the mysteries all lay with what it omits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Where is Joseph? Like what the hell did Ian do with him just leave him on the street?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was smart of Finch to have Root's number memorized.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This episode is surprising , I for sure thought they were going to serial killer route but then they switched it out for a very good custody thing. Plus the Root stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

That was smart of Finch to have Root's number memorized.

Ah, right. I was wondering "Who the gently caress is Robin?" then I remembered they called her that like 10 times in this episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how this episode's case just kind of petered out with very little action.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is pretty loving intense. Dammit I wanted to see that. Wait I don't get it.. why would the Machine send Finch there?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 9, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I feel bad for that doctor. He probably thinks he's going crazy.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Bear still doesn't warrant his own yellow square :smith:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

404GoonNotFound posted:

Bear still doesn't warrant his own yellow square :smith:

I mean, much as I would enjoy a talking dog. Yellow squares are reserved for people who know about the machine.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Bear deserves his own unique square.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Machine powered Root is terrifying.

But at least it's stopping her from killing people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

He should be green. He should have a green square. Green's kind of associated with nature.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
After Root blindshot the assassin and was standing over him, I honestly half expected her to say "No power in the 'Verse can stop me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the whole computer telling where to shoot is so loving bad rear end. Actually that whole sequence was cool, the computer trying to reform root and not allow her to kill which makes sense.

• Locked thread