Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I just got into watching this and am catching up with the whole show, I loving love it. I do have a question is it every explained why Finch uses a board of what appears to be a broken window? Like what is that? My theory is its a window from the World Trade Center, but I dunno is it ever explained?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

You also have to bear in mind that the Machine controls itself now, so it really is the one deciding what to call relevant these days. It could decide to pass a relevant threat to Finch and company if it felt like it.

Is it though? I mean if it's still only communicating by Social Security numbers then maybe it's still sort of following it's original program. I mean why else doesn't it just info dump all available information to them?

That's what makes me think that its not actually communicating with Root and that she's just crazy the machine didn't give her information on that doctor she found that on her own.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

If it is contacting Root, then it's already changing the rules of its original program, since the phone call was meant to be the last resort thing. Also, here's an interesting theory on why it keeps only giving social security numbers: it knows Finch's views on privacy and due process (which he just stated in this episode and which Nathan brought up in a flashback) and is continuing the number system out of respect for that.

That makes the machine even more frightening if it has respect. I don't know I find the whole concept that the machine has feelings or something akin to feeling terrifying.

I also completely see the machine becoming a major foe or at least Decimus or another company somehow extrapolating and stealing the code for it and you end up with 2 competing AIs.

I mean here is the thing, and the show hasn't discussed it yet. The machine can improve itself ,but Harold crippled it in a way so as to take away it's memories. It's figured out a way around that, it's now under it's own power. So Harold just ushered in the apocalypse because the only place to go from here is the Singularity which is kind a of big scary thing.

The direction I see the show going is :

Competing AI
The Machine evolving and becoming more intelligent to the point of super intelligent which is inevitable. Remember the machine has been "active" for 2 years.

Having the show end with the Machine ushering in the new age of mankind would be amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That whole episode of just Shaw was loving amazing. I rewatched it as soon as I saw it it was that good. I think that's why I like this show, yeah sometimes it's a little slow going but man when it wants to be it's amazing.

Anyone live watching this?

I really like the intercut videos, they're really good. With you seeing the Machines "thought process" calculations.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 9, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I told you their getting towards the whole transcendence issue. Root believes in the Singularity. I still say it's going to come up soon.

Haha when did bear get the new collar?

Hell Yes! This is awesome.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 9, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hahahaha the gun exchange was cute " Oh you have the nano!!!". Shaw looks so unethused.

"You look fine, you just look ...angry all the time".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There should be a law against sexy cops.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Should I shoot him now? I love Shaw. It's just all about killing, she's a loveable murderer.

Huh, so Zoe and John are a couple.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hoooooollllly poo poo. Root is not crazy and the Machine does her bidding. I for sure thought Root was being crazy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I dunno I kind of thought the Fight Club route was where they were going. Wow, this is crazy sad :(.

This twist is so sad :(.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Where is Joseph? Like what the hell did Ian do with him just leave him on the street?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This episode is surprising , I for sure thought they were going to serial killer route but then they switched it out for a very good custody thing. Plus the Root stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is pretty loving intense. Dammit I wanted to see that. Wait I don't get it.. why would the Machine send Finch there?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 9, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

He should be green. He should have a green square. Green's kind of associated with nature.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the whole computer telling where to shoot is so loving bad rear end. Actually that whole sequence was cool, the computer trying to reform root and not allow her to kill which makes sense.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like that Shaw isn't a clone of John. You'd think she wouldn't be the type of person to have "fun" but she's way more outgoing than John which I think is amusing. Like she's ready to party, gently caress and forget, and John is all insular. I dunno I just really like that she isn't a female John.

Also, this episode totally confirmed that John and Zoe are kind of a couple even though it's not been really dwelt on in the show which I really loving like a lot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just finally got to get caught up with this weeks, that was really great. I didn't see the ending coming at all. Bear fake out was bullshit

I'm kind of tired of the HR subplot. Next week looks really good too!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What was the Mexican prison thing? I don't remember that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

in Many Happy Returns, it's revealed that John left the wife abusing marshall in some Mexican jail with heroin so he'd be stuck there in a fate worse than death kind of way, and they imply it's happened before.

I must have just completely forgotten that one, guess I'll go back and watch it but I don't remember the heroin part.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

What gunshot affect?

Yeah, I am really digging this episode. Although Shaw's response to the kid asking whats wrong with her is :stare:

gently caress Yeah! Duck Tape the wound and Shaw is on the War Path.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 23, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, I kind of like that. Shaw is a really interesting character.

HA! GROSS! This is a good episode.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Haha sorry but that's a incredibly dumb plan HRs got, but that's a awesome interrogation technique.

What the hell Shaw.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 23, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Shawcentric episodes are generally always good, I mean her episode is probably still the best episode of the series in terms of bad assness.

Yeah I wasn't expecting the two storylines to converge at all and Shaw may just decide to murder all of HR.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

poo poo's fixing to get real. Haha poo poo already got real. "Acknowledge 1 , ???? ; Acknowledge 2, ?????".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, this is a loving bad rear end episode. Oh poo poo Carter in the bar! Goddamn!

OH poo poo that ending cliffhanger, God drat it!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 23, 2013

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

OHHHH poo poo!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Shaw had been shot, and was recovering from that she was probably pretty weak and passed the gently caress out. Also Root isn't like a super ninja but she has other computer skills which she's learned over the years. I mean she is kind of a super genius.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Machine at this point and I am assuming probably has access to spy satellites. Does anyone know if that is true or not? I mean I think it is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mughe posted:

I have to say... I put this show off for a year or two thinking "Eh, it wasn't getting good reviews so I won't be bothered to watch it."

Having marathoned the seasons up until where we are tonight, I have to say I'm pretty amped for the next episode. To watch where PoI has come from up until this point is ridiculous.

Plus the last 5 minutes of the last episode were awesome. I don't know why I ever doubted Michael Emerson.

It gets half way decent reviews, it's also a pretty popular show too.

Can't wait for tonights episode, have we had this combination of a team up? I can't think we have on the show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Can't believe their kinkshaming shaws taser habit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay so the group is called Eternal Vigilance, which of course calls back to the first episode? And now are trying to kill him because he knows info on them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah really digging this episode , although I am a little unclear on why Shaw is there and Reese? Why did the machine send Root with Shaw after that guy? When it already sent Reese to save the number of the week?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

No way Root stays there, kind of curious if the machine is going to break her out somehow. I can't see locking up one of the machines Assets a good idea at all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, there's two big plots that got revealed this week. I mean this was a season arc episode.

So now we've got

Eternal Vigilance
HR and Russian mafia - hoarding massive money
Root is out of action right now but a super hacker is in a particular place now with a huge amount of cash.
The overall "reason" of why the Machine is working with Root

Really interesting how things are shaping up this season with 2 huge arcs.

Also, obviously the Machine could somehow help Root to break out somehow.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm kind of curious how the machine physically communicates with Root. Through a manipulated voice? Kind of interested in that aspect of it and why it doesn't directly communicate with Team Irrelevant that way.

It seems that it's giving a massive amount of info to Root but just the number to Team Irrelevant.

Really really want to know why.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Maybe that is it? That it has more leeway against a threat to itself? Like if it's threatened certain protocols kick in.That has to be it that its part of its self preservation protocol, just like the whole "creating" memories.

Also, does it need to still create memories?

I think eventually the machine will become "free" , in that it uploads itself into a cloud like storage format so that it can never be destroyed.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yea , Root thinks it's God and does not question it whatsoever. So that's a really good point. That's probably why it does send Finch and company just numbers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

JossiRossi posted:

Would be interesting if the presumably easter egg Global Thermonuclear War prediction the machine made as a possible path when it analyzed Root's projections was actually a real present issue the machine's been predicting and desperately wants to avert.

Uh when was this I must have missed it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That kind of makes sense that one of Roots possible outcomes is Global Thermonuclear War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm just now catching up with Season 3 are there any episodes I can skip, I only care about the main plotline.

• Locked thread