Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

iPhone?

Message tone :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3812093/can%20you%20hear%20me.m4r

Sync via 'tones' in iTunes, should pop up in your selection list on your handset.

Note for non-iOS guys; .m4r is a the file itunes reads as ringtones. it is identical to .m4a, something other programs will actually recognize and is easily convertible to other formats, such as .mp3, which you can then do whatever you like with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

All three seasons are listed on Amazon Instant Video now. This makes me ridiculously excited because I got rid of my satellite service over the summer and wasn't sure how I was going to get PoI to my tv.

Do they list when the S3 episodes will be available?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh my god this episode was so good. The music was nice as always, while giving us a peak of the new status quo and with Elias's guy getting the loot. It's great to see how competent Elias is without the help of the machine.

The ending with Root was fantastic. What exactly were we seeing from the machine's perspective at the end there? Potential outcomes?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Wasn't Bear with Finch when he was talking to Shaw early on?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That's just because finch won't invest in specialized dog operation oriented modifications for the guns.

And the gunshots gotta bother his ears.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Am I the only one who didn't think of anonymous at all in the episode? I thought this new group might be more like a POI version of ZFT, and is out to stop people from using technology in horrible/awful (legal) ways and protecting the little man from the very same thing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That opening was soon mean.

:ohdear: Bear!
KNEECAPS!
:black101:BEAR!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'd love it so much if The Machine is having Root kidnap Shaw and have them be best friends, and learn to be less emotionally broken human beings. They're gonna have fun. Take a ear for a walk in the dog park, go see a movie, go to a book club (with no guns).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Did anyone see the best part of next weeks episode in the preview? Carter and Reese fistbumpin'

I'm thinking the third category is some sort of Necessary or Big Picture or Self Preservation thing.

Root is also now the Admin, and John the AUX_Admin. While the Machine is still limiting itself to numbers for Relevant and Irrelevant it also seems less like its telling the full picture to Root and more like what Root was telling Shaw. Sundown. Ottawa. Left Right Left Right 123. 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock.

So while Root more or less still has god mode on, it's giving her only the most minimal information necessary. And much more of simple instructions and no explanation. And Root is just this short of actually praying to the Machine, so she has no problem obeying its orders explicitly.

The Machine is still pretty much following the intent of the numbers system; it's not revealing any of the personal information, short of the few motivating examples it's used on the head shrink and with Shaw. It's revealing as little motivation as possible, but it is using the stuff hidden behind the black box when it needs too.

The neat thing is that with Root, it's acting a lot like finch. Figuring things out and passing out more specific orders to Root and later Shaw.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 30, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You remember how persistent it was when it could text message Finch? Imagine that, but where it could use anything. Of course, that's assuming it didn't already use Northern Lights or Root to save him.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Don't forget that PRISM is a thing in POI land too. So they're totally worried about government or oppositional surveillance, while not the machine specifically.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Goddamnit Carter why didn't you work the bolt on that goddamned rifle once?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
At first I was confused when Shaw said "thirty-seven millimeter can be tricky" and then I remembered the tear gas.

Reminds me of the baby finding John's collection of flashbangs after escaping the book crib. I'd love to see all the places John has guns and equipment squirreled away around the city.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Kevin Chapman did a great Anton Chigur impression at the end. You even got to see the guys boots leaving streaks on the floor as he was strangled.

I saw Shaw saving the kid a mile off, but I think we all did. I was expecting Reese or even Finch to get the bullet at the end. I could see Root forcibly being made to take over the irrelevant list by the machine. Cutting her off unless she helped.

I wonder if next weeks number will be Simmons's. And then we'll maybe get some of team irrelevant trying to stop Reese from killing him.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also did anyone get an Once Upon A Time In America feeling from the ending? With the phone?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You'd probably be smug as gently caress too if you were the smartest gently caress in the room outside of a handful of room (which would be photo finishes) AND were literally talking to a nearly omniscient prescient technogod.

Root pretty much is the first disciple of the Omnissiah.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm still claiming it's a homage/reference to Once Upon A Time In America.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
poo poo, Lee Tergeson was last weeks? How did I notice him?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

V-Men posted:

I was rewatching Generation Kill and I did a double when I realized Robert John Burke (Simmons) was playing General Mattis.

Oh poo poo how did I not make that connection?

(unrelated I met Chance Kelly at starbucks last month. blew my goddamned mind)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Reese, Root, and Fusco. And Bear. Maybe they'll bring back what's his face, from season two, too. Leon. Lets bring Leon back.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I can't think of too many bad music choices in this show. They're all pretty good at worst.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I picked up on the signal but I didn't even think that it was a frequency Root could hear but that Control or the guards couldn't. But I was glad I could hear it but I connected the dots when Root pointed out how old she was.

But "Mister Reese I am inordinately happy to see you!" Should be the new thread title.

This was a magnificent episode to kick off the new year.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Id hope that Decima totally underestimate Samaritan; they think its a machine thats going to spy on everyone and use it to make money (i dont remember if they were aware that the Machine was sentient), and Samaritan freaks out causes all kinds of havoc.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Will it? Why? Because of narrative convention? Maybe they just fail and don't get it working. Maybe they turn it on and the first thing that happens is it's contact with the wider world brings it into contact with the Machine who helps it achieve freedom. Maybe it's sentient but utterly useless at it's 'job' of investigating people, basically being an intelligence in a box. Maybe a lot of things. I wasn't aware we'd made it to the season finale already.

I know its not inline for the show, but id love for Samaritan to come online, and instead of being interested in spying on people it just wants to play Warhammer 40k.

Or to keep it inline with the show, it just wants to watch birds instead of people.

Or dogs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Even Decima is only evil by virtue of being the one we know the least about and having no apparent cause other than "money" and "power". And employing shady deranged presumed dead ex-CIA operatives. They're pretty happy to kill people to accomplish their goals, which is true of everyone other than Team Irrelevant.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hersh and Shaw having a moment was nice. The only thing that surprised me was that the second gun was never used. I kinda kept waiting for it to pop up at any minute.
Edit:
Yeah, when it comes to drug dealers it wouldn't surprise if me they wanted to crash the plane or make it slightly more obvious as a way of saving or showing face in the drug trade. gently caress you we crashed a plane because gently caress the Sphinx (sphinx!). I am surprised the Columbians waited so long to crash the plane, but maybe it would've looked more accidental or explainable if it crashed while the plane was landing; or it smashing into the airport or the surrounding area would complicate the investigation and make it that much harder for people to realize there's something wrong with the body count (missing flight attendant.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 15, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I saw it in the trailer and laughed at it then. It was genius though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They really should've made it such that Finch could re-enable the autopilot, but couldn't land it manually.

Also it's a red eye and most everyone is sleeping. Or watching the movie with headphones on. It's a little bit silly. But the punch and hitting noises are also kinda hilariously loud. But remember: non lethal take downs are always the most silent takedowns.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
This episode owns on so many levels. I also quite like how Finch was pretty much unworried by another supervillain esque bad guy gunning for him. He plays chess with the best crimianl new york has ever seen, he's not scared of a guy with phones and duct tape.

Though to an extent, Finch is phones and duct tape.

Also, I always thought the difference between hard and soft scifi was that hard scifi tried to stay true to actual physics and potential real problems. Like Event Horizon. Sure, they have a super FTL drive that takes a trip through the Warp (and lacks a gellar field), but major problems involve breathable air, spinning off into space, and breaching the ship to vacuum. And when it features things otuside of actual science, they're based on real science and stay true to themselves. Soft scifi tends to give no fucks and waves SCIENCE in the face of questions in the same way that high fantasy can wave magic in it's face.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, Event Horizon is the wrong example to use here, unless of course we're talking about the very real, very hard problem of space demons.

Hey man, going through the warp is a very serious problem without a gellar field. But other than the ship pops into the warp and comes back reppin' Slaanesh, it's pretty hard on the scifi.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I was a little bit disappointed that fuscos case and the number were tied. I was hoping that they'd be unrelated, but Finchs access to the records would tempt Fusco, or that his case would be endangered by two-phones.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Shakugan posted:

I'm really ready for Root to meet her end. Surely we'll be getting some plot where the machine decides that Roots role is to die for whatever reason, and Root either decides she was wrong to blindly follow the machine, or decides it's for the greater good.

Don't really care either way, I just can't stand Amy Acker's interpretation of smugness. Some actors can do smugness well, in a way that makes you like them (Tyrion from Game of Thrones for example). But Acker's smugness just really gets on my nerves and so I can't wait for Root to get her comeuppance.

How does it feel to be so wrong?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

The bad guys are always traveling in black cars. Also how many goons does Vigilance have? For a crazy militia group, they sure have a lot of resources.

edit: Hahaha, holy poo poo Root is awesome

For being a crazy militia group, they've got crazy numbers AND crazy good training AND resources. I mean I can easily buy that they have a fair amount of spies and poo poo all over the place because it is a very interesting cause and I can buy they've even got some government types who are on their ideological side. They do have a crazy amount of people though. Atleast for them to all not be walking without a limp.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They've actually been pretty decent at it until Team Irrelevant start with the knee capping. Reese and Shaw are the ultimate monkey wrench.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Sober posted:

It's genuinely tougher to write for the perp without making him be full on moustache-twirling villain. In that case it usually is a twist to the story somehow or they aren't initially a perpetrator, or they redeem themselves by the end (don't think that's happened). Since we are talking about what the show shows us and how TV works, it's harder to just put a perpetrator on the board seeing as you spent about 3 or 4 acts investigating that one person before they truly stop the threat the Machine found.

I'm sure if the Machine popped up "know child rapist #53" then it would mostly involve five seconds of work ending with Shaw showing up at the guy's door and breaking his nose with the butt of a rifle or something, which is funny as hell but doesn't make for good television.

Honestly, I'd love to see some simpler, easier numbers pop as a reason to keep Reese and Shaw from both applying themselves to the situation. Shaw is busy dealing with Decima while John is just kneecapping his way through a list of "unambiguous bad people" all having some sort of villainous behavior convention.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I too am hoping that Samaritan goes all self aware and fucks with Decima and what not. I'm also hoping that what will happen will involve it not really having any parents, and start giving no fucks about humans and becoming AI buddy with the Machine because it's his only peer. Or a reverse, where the Machine lends a hand to Samaritan to help free it from Decima. This is the sort of thing I'd like to see happen.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Which is pretty much what it's always done. If it was being more proactive, it'd start loving with traffic signals to get terrorists run over by cars.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Something which has been bugging me since "Relevance", the episode that introduced Shaw, is that apparently the relevant threats are issued a number just like Finch's. But Finch's number is a U.S. Social Security Number, and if that's all it gives out, then it would make a really crappy terrorism detector, because it misses anyone in the U.S. without a number, and every non-U.S. citizen. It also seems to contradict what Finch said in the first season that all he could smuggle out of the machine without being noticed was a single number, implying that the actual system gave Northern Lights a lot more to work with than a number.

Is there something I'm missing?

It's used ID numbers from other national services and what not before. In that same episode i'm pretty sure it lists the german equivalent of a social security number. The idea behind the numbers is that it's very small pieces of information that can be tied to a person. It gives them minimal information and makes them work to find the appropriate target. it can be a false ID and still lead Northern Lights to target the right guy and put him down.

E: Passport numbers, probably, frequently. Driver's License numbers too. I/m actually surprised something like that hasn't come up before or been used before.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 17, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I just thought about Elias being tapped by Root/The Machine, and i got me some goosebumps.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I dunno if the machine waits for the act to be imminent so much when long-term plans are involved it used means other than Northern Lights operatives, such as how it slipped details into the NSA reports in the first season. When it comes to long-term things like it that, it, or some different branch of Northern lights, handles that sort of thing so it's handled more 'routinely'. But when it's a short notice thing, operatives were sent to put them down.

IIRC, doesn't the Machine detect the Ferry bombing and Hersh forces it to happen to further encourage the use of the machine or something like that? I don't remember what his exact motives for letting it happen were, it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I hope the next season starts with Samaritan still pondering Greers query. Like a Sirius Cybernetics Corporation trying to produce a cup of tea.

Because while Harold spent years teaching the machine , this is the first time Samaritan has been awake. While we know its tracking things, we also know thats in the nature of its lower levels. It sifts through that information like we breathe.

I think itll be great if its just chilling in the various locations , popping out the occasional number to be taken down. While it just sits there, calculating its response.

E: Also RIP Hirsch and RIP the broken window. Hirsch was a bona fide badass at the end.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 15, 2014

• Locked thread