Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

:neckbeard:

I'm so happy this show is back and still awesome. It just felt like the show was stretching it's legs before taking off at a sprint.

This episode really epitomized so many of the things this show does well. It had a solid number of the week contained story at center, mythology building and progression on the edges, and wonderful characterization gluing it all together. Fusco and root both make me mark out, and my worries that Shaw would be a thin girl-version-of-Reese was completely unfounded. And we didn't even have to wait to see Elias.

So looking forward to where the season goes. I hope we get more scenes with Elias and Finch in the same room more than anything else.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Um, apparently the people in charge of the show just put the whole premiere up on youtube with audio commentary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFTApthzlP4

that's pretty loving nuts.

I'm guessing by how it was taken down that someone just ripped it from http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/video/GMhmzSTrbSgi6y19Ossw_Np1CYYv35R_/person-of-interest-audio-commentary/

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

One thing I keep going back to as brilliant is the performance of the psychologist. His expression as root reads him his dirty laundry list is really well done. Because imagine what that guy is going through right then.

Turns out God is real and this patient is actually really taking to God and God knows my sin and oh gently caress God's prophet wants to kill me for them. AND I'm only the 43rd smartest person in the building. gently caress. Wait, God is an 11 year old girl?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Episode needed more root, Bear would've done at least way more damage, dismayed at Hackers on Steroids.

I liked Carter's new partner, Shaw being Shaw, and Finch being all "Do you mind?" while hacking into dude's company server. Also that the PoI died, that was good.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe there is an explanation on why the main story seems a bit disjointed. There was a missing person as well as the dead fiance. "Jenna Lakritz" missing since Feb 19 2013. Why would they throw that in there and never go back to it? Maybe this guy is a serial killer after all and the team just missed it because of the convenient angle that he is victim and not perp because of his son. Or did Jenna Lakritz get explained later and I missed it?

Then again I don't know if I agree he's as much a creep as some of you are saying. I mean finding out what someone likes and then giving it to them just sort of sounds just like being an awesome date. Chameleon like, sure, but I think his date with Carter itself shows that he is being genuine in a certain way even if he does shift his presentation. Sure he has major commitment issues from what happened with his former fiance, but I don't get a pick-up artist gaming towards sex vibe from the guy.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

According to the missing poster she was last seen Feb 19 2013 at 1:30PM. According to the information Finch pulls up, the last outgoing text she sent was at 11:11PM on the 18th. There are three incoming texts from Ian after she disappears: one on the 19th looks like 8:19PM, 20th looks like 11:45AM, 21st looks like 1:01PM.

Of note on 2/18 2:30PM is a received text from Ginnifer Cantrell. I thought Cantrell was a name I'd heard before but so far can't place it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OMG THAT CLIP IS AMAZING

No seriously. No. Seriously. Holy poo poo.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

jazzyhattrick posted:

The Machine: Good mor-ning Angels.
If not for Fusco I would think this would be a gimmicky show that I would get tired of really quickly. But with Fusco I'm just sad this will never actually happen because it would have the potential of being my favorite show.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I thought smart money was on the rapist being in the Mexican prison?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Great episode in a lot of ways, but it seemed like the production values took a dive. The voice over dubbing especially, and that explosion was pretty bad.

I also thought it was weird for Harold to just saunter into the apartment with the PoI who at that point he presumed was at least a thief. Even with Bear by his side. Reese showing up at the storage locker without being called was also unexplained.

So episode wise some things were weak, but the overarching stuff was excellent. It was really awesome seeing how far ahead the Machine had things planned in detail like root putting the package under the bench. I really look forward to root being present in the library. The ending dialogue between Finch and root was great especially considering that we learned in depth that root doesn't really know what the machine is up to, that the machine hasn't shared that. So it is more than possible that root is right where the machine wants her.

Which itself is interesting as "root" is the more powerful user that can do anything in a system, but actually root has no influence over the machine at all. The machine rooted root?

Shaw and Reese passing each other was a lovely moment.

Really enjoyed the episode.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I love how in the scene where Finch and the PoI are trapped and gasoline is pouring everywhere that the showrunners are very careful not to imperil Bear.

Actually realizing that Bear got locked out I'm pretty happy just thinking Bear went and fetched Reese.

Also, in addition to the Decrypting Tor bit early on, this is hilarious:

gtfo. Atlas7 would never post on pastebin.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 30, 2013

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I wonder if getting root to have a crisis of faith is itself part of what Finch is setting out to do.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

You all are making great points about Carter. Really I think it is her character arc about to end, not Fusco's, so I think all the Fusco stuff is a misdirection, and Carter is the hero that will fall. I'd guess faking her death and having her go full time Team Irrelevant, but that's what they did with Shaw, so, hey, I dunno.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ally_1986 posted:

I blame it all on Sean Connery. Dude got to play a Russian, Irish, American and never even tried to change his accent.
The greatest being his role as Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobos Ramírez (who is obviously an Egyptian) in the Highlander movies.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Spatula City posted:

What is she without that?

Part of this is learning more about her past, and I'm sure we will.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Squidster posted:

Called it. It was good to see Carter's ex is still alive and kicking. He is totally doomed to die heroically saving Taylor from HR's angry revenge.

I'm thinking more that this points to Carter dying. The only reason I could think not was that she was a single mom and what about her kid, but now they've brought the ex back from nowhere, established that he has redeemed himself as a person off screen thanks to her and is now totally ready to be the dad he never was when she dies.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So, am I reading too much into root's intimacy comment? I'm already on Team root but seeing it as a lesbian relationship makes me all the more giddy.

Also the reveal that Finch had already gone through a number of partners was great, and Emerson's acting was so perfect showing undercurrents of emotion about how jealous he is.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sober posted:

Well from the interviews I've read she didn't want out but the showrunners pretty much told the cast they aren't always safe and she was fine with not having to sit on the show until it poo poo the bed but kept going.

Well, she didn't want to go past Season Three from day one is my impression.

Edit:

New page, more demon face

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

That gives me a very strong urge to start calling them halos instead of boxes.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I can't believe the root hate, she's perfect. I'm more interested in what they are going to do with her character than anything else on the show.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

OH MY those previews

root uncaged... and dual wielding handguns!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Root's awesome, sorry haters.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Holy poo poo that was amazing. That three episode arc was some of the best television I've ever seen, and it is a testament to this show's greatness that I say that after every big arc they pull off. Unbelievable that something this huge and amazing is wrapping up in episode 10! We aren't even half way through the season.

Just everything about this episode was so loving good. Especially Fusco walking into the station with Simmons in cuffs. After earlier in the episode where you see paper headlines about how the FBI is involved with the search, and in walks Fusco with the man who killed his partner seemingly with no help. I was also so badass that he takes him down in unarmed combat after earlier in the season we saw Simmons do very well at holding his own against John in a fight.

It is always such a pleasure to see Elias and his whole speech was so good. Everyone's one on one interview flashback tied in so well.

And of course Reese. Actually trying to kill Quinn at the end. But also leaving the passport counterfeiter to his death, and actually dropping the guy off the roof when he got his information.

I love this show.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Rewatched the three episode arc, and one thing that was really striking with the cold open was that the heart beat seemed to have the same beat as the phone ringing at the end of the middle episode.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A friend told me that he considered Elias to be 'Keith Mars gone bad'. He was right.
As someone who hasn't seen any of Veronica Mars but who now loves Enrico Colantoni, does he get to flex his acting chops this much in that show? Alternately what "Canadian projects" can I check out to get more of him while we are on hiatus?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

hollylolly posted:

Don't forget Just Shoot Me.

I didn't, that's the reason I had no idea he was such an amazing actor!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm so freaking excited about Finch backstory

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

So much!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Teen Harold just Captain Crunched that phone.

raditts posted:

I certainly never expected to see a Captain Crunch reference in a TV show in 2013.
I really marked out at this. Also the machine is accessing the FBI database for an open investigation from 1979 targeting UNIDENTIFIED "PHONE PHREAK"

Sober posted:

Also Hersh's first name! Bob of all things.
Actually, the only person whose actual name was listed seems to be Arthur T. Claypool. Robert N. Hersh is seen as an alias with [REDACTED] as name. But also for Shaw! Sameen Shaw is given as an alias with [REDACTED] as actual name. So that's not her real name?

Also the alias for I'm presuming Control's hired guns (former Secret Service?) is given as VERMILLION.7A and VERMILLION.7C. There were three, so I'm guessing the other is VERMILLION.7B but the machine doesn't expect him to die?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think there is an argument that root got her yellow box from deductive reasoning, as did Carter. I was actually looking for Claypool to switch to yellow when he deduced that The Machine exists because otherwise the other attempts would not have been scrapped, but he stayed white.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Being that we are on a haitus, I want to throw something out for people's theories or to see if I'm missing or forgetting something.

I was chatting with Zaggitz on IRC and I brought up Reese's wound on the bus to New Rochelle. The kid on the bus asks what happened, and he says "I think I just quit my job." There is a flash just before this showing Stanton shooting at him in Ordos, but Ordos is early 2010, and New Rochelle is early 2011.

Zaggitz suggested the wound might've been from a run in with Snow, but I rewatched the episode in which we first meet Snow and it seems that he thought John was dead until his fingerprints show up from Carter.

So could Reese be referring to a different job he "quit"? Should we be expecting the show to go back that time in John's life? Zaggitz was suggesting (I think) that our knowledge of John's backstory was at least thematically complete, but I didn't agee. So should we expect something shocking from this year, or mostly just a filler story explanation of John hiding in China and eventually making it back to the US to try to find Jessica in a way that doesn't really change how we think about John's character?

Why haven't they filled us in on that time period yet if they don't have something interesting to go to with that? I trust these writers to weave things together very well, and they have shown over time the ability to drop seeds early that blossom into crazy things far down the line. So I think there is something meaty still in John's past between Ordos and New Rochelle, mostly just because this show is so tight I don't expect this show to go the unsatisfying Lost route of "Oh that unexplained thing didn't really matter" being mysterious for the sake of being mysterious. I expect little details to culminate in a payoff instead of being brushed aside which is one reason I love this show so much.

But it also partly begs the question why John did take so long to check on Jessica after Ordos.

And so on. So I'm curious what everyone else's take is on that period.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

This is going to be the fifth or sixth episode in a row I'm going to find myself thinking "On any other show this could be the season finale"

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

If you’re going to catch up on Person of Interest, it’s worth knowing that it does get off to a rough start. It starts with Jim Caviezel’s performance as Reese; Caviezel chooses to play the man as someone who’s mostly dead inside, only to have the fire inside ever... so... slowly... rekindled as he works for Finch. But in those first few episodes, he adapts a monotone that seems “off,” even when he’s shown as happy in earlier times. It wouldn’t be unfair to accuse the actor of being completely disengaged from the role, even if that’s supposed to be the point. It’s a fine line between portraying a completely disengaged character and turning in a completely disengaged performance, and Caviezel doesn’t quite get the hang of that at first.

Also problematic: Taraji P. Henson’s Detective Carter. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with her performance; she just got stuck with a thankless character and it took some time for the writers to figure out how to unfuck the situation and rejigger Carter into a more worthwhile character.

Finally, the writers didn’t show much serious inclination towards world-building until a quarter of the way through the season, so the start of the show might bore those who are looking for more than some cool stories.

However, slow but sure, everybody starts to step up their game as the series moves forward. Here’s a rough timeline of how things progress:

Ep. 1, “Pilot” - Caviezel’s airless, Henson’s boring, show doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere but Michael Emerson and Kevin Chapman are kind of awesome.
Ep. 4, “Cura Te Ipsum” - Caviezel reveals the first spark of life in his character at the end of the episode. The ending itself is pretty loving great.
Ep. 7, “Witness” - poo poo gets real; threads introduced in previous episodes start getting paid off here. Also at this point Caviezel should come off a LOT better in his role. Pick your virtue: either he fine-tuned his performance, the writers adapted to him, or you’re just used to his style.
Ep. 9, “Get Carter” - Not a GREAT episode, but groundwork is laid for Carter’s transformation into a less peripheral character; it starts paying off almost immediately.
Ep. 13, “Root Cause” - If you’re not on board after this, you probably never will be.

After "Root Cause," every episode is better than the one before it, culminating in an intense finale that beautifully wraps up the season and sets a very promising stage for the next one.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Here is the Season 1 thread for those of us with Archives. It's fun to watch the thread turn around.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

raditts posted:

Do you doubt the Machine's ability to find the lowest latency connections?

Raises the question, though, of why didn't the Machine land the plane herself.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

raditts posted:

Human element, man.

But after the S2 finale, the Machine can upgrade and change it's own code. While it is respecting Finch's wishes in terms of the nature of their relationship, the Machine now possesses agency that isn't bound by any artificial restrictions Finch would have created.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Pilli posted:

Holly was quite the endearing character and had tremendous chemistry with Caviezel. I hope she'll be back.
I really kept expecting her to be something more than a flight attendant. But if she does come back I just hope it's for Zoe to tell her to step off her man.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

My only problem with the plan landing was that the fake flight attendant puts the plan into a much steeper descent that means the plan would have been on a trajectory to hit land or water well before Rome. Also pretty slim chance the plan would have been aligned with the runway.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm fiending for this show. Maybe it's the lack of holiday stuff, but this hiatus feels so much longer than the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Would a preview of next week's episode help calm the beast?
It did, thanks!

• Locked thread