Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRqoerXtXTw Preview for the premiere episode.

poo poo's gonna be incredible. Shaw riding piggy back on Abraham Fusco :swoon:

It could be just the editing, but it looks like they've cranked up the humour a bit this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Reese wins the best line of the episode. "I'm a very private person."

Ha, ha.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Short interview with the showrunners involving some season teasers.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Ignis posted:

Here's a spoilery clip from the NYCC panel of PoI.
Carter's partner is on HR. Bet you didn't see that coming huh :v:

Always nice to see Carter kick rear end, though.

OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGOD.

All is as all should be.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
More from the New York panel, featuring the above-posted preview plus interviews with:

Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi
Greg Plageman and Taraji Henson
Kevin Chapman and Jim Caviezel

A quote from the page: "There's even the possibility of flashbacks showing the show's beloved Bear as a puppy. Awwwww."

Dawww.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

ultrabindu posted:

Bear care:

That rocks. I'd read the whole show in comics, especially the frames where Mr. Reese is kneecapping a baddy.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

SpookyLizard posted:

That opening was soon mean.

:ohdear: Bear!
KNEECAPS!
:black101:BEAR!

Exactly. :v:

Undercover Bear, who would have thought.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
The ending was great, and unexpected on my part. I had this thought that were it Shaw instead of Mr. Reese, she'd have killed both of them, no hesitation. :sparkles:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

That Ben Linus smile...

Heh, I had the same thought and wondered if Michael Emerson wasn't giving Ben's fans a little trip down nostalgia road - or maybe he's given it to himself.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks to DP's relentless enthusiasm for this show in the couch chat thread, I got to watching the back episodes, and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the show.

Welcome aboard. :)

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Well, gently caress.

I will agree with poster Kai Tave that had the showrunners refrained from going all :siren: A HERO WILL FALL :siren: the shock value would have been quite something else. Instead of really enjoying the episode going there with a virgin brain, I kept conjecturing about whose number was really up. Nice touch at the end with the machine trying to alert Finch, phone ringing and ringing, and Finch frozen, in total shock.

The last scene between Fusco (yay!) and Shaw has set up a new pair. It's telling us that Fusco will replace Carter with helping team machine, with Shaw to become his Carter's Reese. And Reese? Guess that's about when he loses his poo poo, as the writers said.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
The CBS/PoI site has uploaded a behind-the-scenes video of The Crossing. Ah, cutting onions and all.

Another fine detail I loved: Finch kept calling Carter Detective after her demotion. :3: In the last episode, he does that again and adds, "It's Detective again, right?" Then calls her Joss upon leaving. Coming from someone as formal as Finch, how can you not jump in your seat.

The reactions aren't so good out there, lots of viewers saying they're done with the show after the mini-arc. Let's hope it's just a knee-jerk reaction and that ratings won't go down.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Lord_Ventnor posted:

So, apparently next weeks episode has Simmons as the POI.

Sounds about right.

If it's not Mr. Reese who gets him, I'm done with this show. :buddy:

It's probably going be him, with kneecapping not being an option.

I like that the writing of the mini-arc has the death in the second episode. Then we can focus on the aftermath in the episode before the hiatus, then move on to something else when the show comes back. Hopefully next will be the Finch/Root/Machine story, which is my favorite storyline at the moment. "Rooting" for Finch in this, as it would be tough to have the outsider getting the upper hand over Finch's creation.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

bobkatt013 posted:

She did get a yellow box in the end.

I like to think that the showrunners wrote in this "Carter knows/yellow box" portion only as a departure gift for Taraji :3:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
This show. drat.

Also, show, look here. If I were looking for kleenexy thingies to watch, I'd turn to some lost dog story on a Disney movie. You've done that two weeks in a row now. Quit it.

What I mean is that Kevin Chapman is a loving awesome actor. Let's hope he's back for good, was way too ignored since the end of S2 until last week.

Now, oh boy I can't wait for the Machine story to pick up with the brand new Finch-Root awkward partnering. Brainy equivalent of :black101:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Sarern posted:

I quoted every prediction I could find, and I only found two. Sorry that one of them was right?

After I posted the Reese thing, someone came and rightly said that Fusco had every reason to go after Simmons; stakes were up. But Fusco, he paid homage to Carter and didn't send the guy out to his corrupt god, nope. This is some pro writing right here.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

JossiRossi posted:

I really liked that Reese was absolutely going to kill the head of HR, only it seemed he was out of bullets or was the gun just so bloody it gummed it up?

When Mr. Reese can't count bullets, things really are hosed up for him. :ohdear: It was indeed his blood that jammed the gun after Finch couldn't talk him out of killing Quinn. Ghost Carter was watching over to make sure her initial plan came through.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

Found this piece of magic on youtube, 80's style Opening Credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elCGJ5rfe24

You know when you say "Jeesus CHRIST!" in disgust and laugh at the same time? Yes, this.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

oshuaj posted:

Carter. Oh my god.

edit: Oh my god that opening, oh my god this show. Oh my god.

Oh your god this show, yes. :allears:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

GrandpaPants posted:

Like a man with a Logitech joystick and Microsoft Flight Simulator experience could land a commercial jumbo jet.

It's exactly what I thoroughly loved about this episode. After a stretch of darkness, surprise! Something campy, totally far fetched, unrealistic, cartoonish. I works because we know the show runners can indeed run a tight show; it was like them giving the audience a much needed lighter episode.

When Finch installed his plastic joystick from the library, he had me in stitches. As well as when the loud fights were going on in the back, with every innocent passenger being totally oblivious. The bad guy cracking his neck before the battle? Owen in the suitcase at the airport? Drinks all over the place, even almost force on the cute, helping flight attendant? Lots of comedic jewels there, and too obviously in-your-face unrealistic to be mad at.

While I wouldn't stick around if the show were always this way, it's endearing how they don't take themselves too seriously and still run with the Batman joke.

Yet, they were back to business in that last scene with Finch and Reese. Reminiscent of their S1 relationship :3: and self-referencing themselves with the suit lines. And Reese subtly acknowledging that he's not the only one greiving a loss to the Machine - I love this show so much.

Holly was quite the endearing character and had tremendous chemistry with Caviezel. I hope she'll be back.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Sub Rosa posted:

I really kept expecting her to be something more than a flight attendant. But if she does come back I just hope it's for Zoe to tell her to step off her man.

Since the Zoe actress is busy on another show, I was wondering whether they set up Holly as her replacement. It seems to suit the Reese character to have a part time female sidekick. Not sure if the show tried it with Shaw, but I never saw these two actors working that well together. Shaw comes off better for when me paired with Finch, who really got "her number."

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
I've just rewatched the episode.

This show is simply amazing. They give you this completely self-aware cheesy, unrealistic, cartoonish hour, yet they manage to drive the plot forward and clean up some issues. I'm taking this episode as the very last on that involved HR going down/Carter's death. John wanting out, and his wanting to be back on the team this week is what closes the whole arc.

Also how John blamed the machine but found a way to leash out his anger at Finch through Owen. Leading to Finch flying to Rome and addressing the issue of loss, as in "It's not only you," which truth Reese seemed to get at once, right in the gut. Well done, show.

They can be silly but they remain profound, and mostly they stay on course. I trust them so much more than I have ever trusted LOST's writers. :colbert:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

kazmeyer posted:

Finished my mega-binge through the series. My thoughts:

- Kevin Chapman can act the gently caress out of a scene when required.

This is right. I'll say that the same is true for Michael Emerson, except it's harder to pin it down in his case because his scenes are less badass, they're more subtle.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

you're my favourite person of the day

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Out there in the Internet, both Rooth and Shaw prove to be controversial characters. Many resent the fact that Shaw was brought in, played like a feminine version of Reese, her badassness shoved down our throat, only to take Carter's place in terms of screentime.

And many can't bear Root, for her madness and her being a threat to Finch.

We've yet to encounter this one viewer who will diss Bear, though. Probably a cat with posting permissions.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

I cant wait to see how the show fucks with the format when

Speaking of, they've once again adapted the opening credits to the episode. As soon as I heard the first hint of a feminine voice, I rewinded, thinking I had misheard. Nope, Root took over the credits just as she took over the episode. This is one side of the show that has always amazed me.

It would be nice to have a montage of all the different openings so far.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
And yet another LOST alumni to make it to the show, woot! I just wish these ghosts from the past would interact with Michael Emerson.

The funniest thing would be that they bring along Naveen Andrews, with Finch begging him to NOT kill people. :buddy:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, he's one of the main cast of "Remedy", a medical drama right now.

And Page Turco has been claimed by The 100, too. This show needs more Elias and Zoe - and Leon. :(

And Bear.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

Are you European or did they finally put poi up on Netflix in north America?

It's still not on Netflix in North America :(

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
I just got to watch the episode. That show is frigging awesome. It's one of those shows where the suspending of disbelief is a given, because I think they do it mostly to save time and not put tedious actions on the screen. Tonight was how on earth did Root get all the servers lifted up in the back of the truck? Don't care, don't mind, go on.

This was a crafty episode. Once again, I'm in total awe with Michael Emerson. This show isn't supposed to make my room a dusty place, but it did thanks to Emerson - also to the face Shaw was wearing as the exchange was about to take place.

I was totally expecting Grace to learn that her Harold was well up and alive, now I love the writers so much for having kept it from her. It also tells a new thing about that cold-hearted killer from Decima, as I thought for sure he'd be the one to break out the truth. So layered.

Also, the show should never have an episode without Fusco. He brings a very special kind of atmosphere that just can't be recreated in his absence, and I completely blame it on Kevin Chapman.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

ally_1986 posted:

Think they meant how the Hell did Root get it down from the second level of a boat 7 down the ramp near the truck to start with. Im sure the Machine could give some decent advice but I believe the new technology is so light the servers are just like bouncy castles tied down to ensure they do not float away.

Yes indeed, I meant the whole process of moving the servers from A to B but gave the getting them servers in the truck as an isolated example.

Like when Reese was suddenly a security guard, not only hired by the company but finding himself in the exact right truck he needed to be in. Or the hotel episode, how both Finch and Reese could secure the required positions. Those are examples of weird situations where I have no problem to suspend disbelief. The writers are telling us a story, and they skip on the tedious details, work some magic behind the in-show scenes, and make things happen to further their awesome storytelling.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
One thing I forgot to mention in my post-watching post is how they again changed the opening credits to fit with the story. They're doing this more and keep being creative on that front. Just another reason out of a thousands to frigging love this show. :swoon:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

raditts posted:

I need something between :stare: and :smith: to express how I feel.

It's called whiskey. Cheers, mate :suspense:

Welp, the writers sure do have a lot on their plates right now. Kudos to them, they've been driving the story a few degrees off with each finale, but this one takes the cake. Library (base station) lost, identities lost, not threats anymore to Samaritan, all of them being apart. Frigging Greer still around.

They're going to have to pretty much reinvent the show, and I'm full of admiration for this bold move.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Regy Rusty posted:

He probably would've if the actor had been more available. Hopefully we haven't seen the last of him and Zoe.

Alas, The 100 has been renewed, so it doesn't bode well for Zoe.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Going back, I think my favourite non-related scene still remains the day Fusco had with that model lady. It was the most remote, "irrelevant" B-plot ever, and Chapman played reluctant guy gone starry-eyed man so well.

That Chapman is a treasure to the show, it's sad that they don't use him more. But maybe he'll get a more prominent role next season when everybody is out living a so-called normal life. They might have to seriously count on him for intel instead of Finch. Might.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

That game's version of Chicago is so drat bad. Hey Ubisoft as a fellow French Canadian I sympathize but can you please expand your voice cast range so half the cast of your game set in an American city don't sound like they are from Montreal.

I have a friend working at Ubisoft Montreal (French Canadian here too :hfive:), who was briefly borrowed on the Watch Dogs project from his usual other-game assignment. I'll ask him where the voice actors came from, it will be interesting to know.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
Regarding the Watch Dogs voice over actors, I got a reply from my Ubisoft buddy.

Casting calls are issued through agencies, auditions are performed, and actors are selected based on how their voice fits with the role, not on whether they are local or not. So actors can come from all over the place. He says that in the case of Watch Dogs, though, there was a prevalence of Canadians (though not limited to Montreal/province of Quebec) due to transportation costs and time constraints, as opposed to, for instance, Assassin's Creed where the majority were from the US.

He provided a list of the cast. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2190152/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Ragingsheep posted:

So I just started watching s1. Not terrible but seems sorta bland. When does this show start getting really good and can I go straight to that point?

It's a slow start indeed, but hang in there. They're just building some mythology at the beginning, like prepping/cooking the food before landing it on your table for you to devour it.

If memory serves well, I think I got hooked by episode 7. I usually give 5 episodes to a new show before getting off, but had made an exception in this case because of Michael Emerson. If that guy is on something, that something is good, so I trusted his judgment. He did not disappoint.

edit: watch all of the episodes, otherwise you'll get confused. There are flashbacks you need to know about.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

7 is Witness right?

The ending song on that episode set the bar for the rest of the series.

Yes, Witness. I was blown away by the ending.

What was the song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

Sinnerman by Nina Simone.

Nice, thank you. I'll reserve my comments so as not to spoil our (hopefully) new viewer. But here's the short version of the song us fans, for some S1 nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbIG_b2IMO0

• Locked thread