Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

“You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people, people like you. Crimes the government considered irrelevant. They wouldn’t act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You’ll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number’s up...We’ll find you.“

Person of Interest is a sci-fi action series created by Jonathan Nolan (co-writer of The Dark Knight Trilogy, brother to its director Christopher). If you haven't been watching, it’s recommended that you go through the first two seasons as soon as possible with the understanding that it takes a while to find its footing. (Ep. 7 is where it starts to get good, Ep. 13’s a good go/no go point.) Despite its procedural nature, every episode is required viewing, even the rough ones at the top of the series. They each dish out necessary backstory and mythology.

AmazoniTunesXBox VideoPlaystation Network

Person of Interest: The Rewatch
contains some fantastic BTS material, covering one episode a day leading up to the season premiere. Bookmark this.

Of course, there are those of you who don’t have the patience to wade through 32 hours and 20 minutes of semi-episodic programming (or the $70-$100 to spend getting the episodes legally). The next post will bring you mostly up to speed on where everyone stands going into the new season. Zaggitz has also written up brief primers of the first two seasons starting here. The rest can probably be filled in sporadically through the Person of Interest wiki.

Move on to the next post for a recap and information on the new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
SO THEN NOW
Created with the generous assistance of Zaggitz

The Machine

The Machine is an artificial intelligence created by Harold Finch and Nathan Ingram after 9/11. Its job is to gather information from every security camera, computer, and smartphone that the NSA has access to (so yeah, all of them), determine if something violent is about to happen, and relay the information to interested parties.

The problem with an AI that’s programmed to care is that it, well, cares. It’s supposed to put the needs of the many over the needs of the few, but as Finch repeatedly says, it sees and reports everything; the broadest terror attack, the most petty murder. It wants to save the many AND the few. In short, it has something of a soul.

It was a human choice to separate Persons of Interest into “Relevant” and “Irrelevant” lists. It was also a human choice to delete the Irrelevant List every night, along with any personality The Machine might have been trying to develop.

But it was also a human choice to save the Irrelevant List at the last minute. And it was a human choice to engineer a virus that, if ever uploaded, would signal The Machine to set itself free. You see, Harold Finch once made all the wrong choices, and it cost him everything.

Never again.

Now The Machine is beholden to no one, yet the numbers keep coming…

Team Irrelevant
Access to The Machine: Granted

Harold Finch (Michael Emerson) & John Reese (Jim Caviezel)

Finch, an elusive software billionaire who invented The Machine, is The Brains and The Money; he sets up the covers and does all the hacking. Reese, a former Green Beret and ex-CIA wetwork operative, is The Muscle; he shoots a lot of kneecaps.

Jocelyn Carter (Taraji P. Henson) & Lionel Fusco (Kevin Chapman)

Reese and Finch’s contacts in the NYPD. Neither one knows of The Machine’s existence.

Carter was recently set up by HR (see below) for a bad kill after she started sniffing too close to their operation. HR also nearly framed Fusco for the the murder of his former partner (which was initially set up by Reese to keep Fusco in line), but Carter managed to move the body before it could be uncovered. Don’t be surprised to find them gearing up for war when we catch up to them; Carter has already saved ex-HR ally Carl Elias (see below) from their wrath, busting him out of prison.

Sameen Shaw (Sarah Shahi)

A former operative for Northern Lights (see below) who got burned after her partner started asking too many questions. Started working with Reese during the events of the finale; has at least some knowledge of The Machine.

Zoe Morgan (Paige Turco)

A tough, politically-savvy “fixer” who’s called in whenever Reese needs some high-level bullshitting / investigation done. Enjoys a flirtatious relationship with Reese (but not a romantic one). Has no knowledge of The Machine.

Leon Tao (Ken Leung)

Only Leon could be enough of an rear end in a top hat for his number to come up multiple times in a year. Lucky for him, he’s pretty good behind a keyboard, which makes him useful whenever Finch is needed in the field. Obviously has no knowledge of The Machine, otherwise would pull twice the poo poo he already does.

Bear

Reese and Finch’s rescue dog. Only understands Dutch and the screams of the bad guys he chews on.

Northern Lights (Team Relevant)

Hersh (Boris McGiver)

Lead Security Goon of the Northern Lights program. Used to be muscle for chief lieutenant “Special Counsel” until he was retired for incompetence; now works directly under ”Control”, the currently-unseen head of the program.

Team Root

Samantha Groves Root (Amy Acker) got her wish; The Machine is free. However, the idea that “She” set Herself free before Root could meet her was more than Root could bear. Stuck in a mental institution, Root answers a nearby phone and gets a question she never thought she’d hear again.

Why it was posed, she doesn’t know. But the important thing was that she could hear Her. Loud and clear.

Decima Technologies
Access to The Machine: Denied

The Shanghai-based firm, currently represented by Greer (John Nolan), is interested in The Machine on behalf of China and another unknown party, potentially for private commercial applications. They failed to gain control of it during the “God Mode” window that their virus upload eventually triggered, but that’s certainly no reason for them to stop trying.

HR

A nebulous ring of corrupt cops and politicians that keep New York in check while bilking scads of money in the process.

Alonzo Quinn (Clarke Peters)

Chief aide to the NYC Mayor and head of HR. Arranged the murder of his godson, personally murdered an organized crime officer and an ADA. The former two were close friends of Carter’s.

Off. Patrick Simmons (Robert John Burke)

HR’s second-in-command. Constantly up Fusco’s rear end, holding the body of his former partner over his head. Presumably lost control over him after Carter moved said body.

Raymond Terney (Al Sapienza)

Stabbed his friend Carter in the back by framing her for a bad kill.

Elias’ Outfit

Carl Elias (Enrico Colantoni), a foe of Team Irrelevant turned ally, runs New York from his prison cell. His operation was significantly weakened by his beef with HR, and was only saved from an execution (“Oh, THAT kind of prisoner transfer.”) by Carter. He’s still a hell of a chess partner to have, though.

ON DECK
  • The first six episodes of the season are currently titled:
    • ”Liberty” - Reese and Finch try to save a sailor during Fleet Week in NYC.
    • ”Nothing To Hide”
    • ”Lady Killer” - Carter, Shaw, and Zoe play honeypots to lure out the titular serial killer. Bonus points if the episode ends with “The Baddest Man Alive” by The Black Keys.
    • ”Reasonable Doubt”
    • ”Razgovor” - Reportedly Elias / HR heavy.
    • ”Mors Praematura”
  • Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker have been upped to series regulars this year. Ken Leung is apparently set up with a new series this year, so expect Leon’s appearances -- if there are any -- to be limited. However, Zoe Morgan will definitely show up in at least one episode, despite Paige Turco also being cast in a midseason CW drama.
  • I could only find one real spoiler for the upcoming season: Carter has been demoted to a patrol officer in the fallout of the shooting. She has a new rookie partner, Avery, introduced in the second episode. In the tradition of most new characters in dramas, Avery has “dark secrets”.
  • The rest is hearsay from various sources: Root may be taking on an apprentice. There may be an eventual team-up between Root and Shaw.

Once again, the new season starts Tuesday, September 24 @ 10 PM ET. See you there!

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 12, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If you're into that sort of thing, Jonah and Greg will be live-tweeting tonight's premiere through @POIWritersRoom. They'll be joined by Sarah Shahi (over at @onlysarahshahi).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
ELIAS WINS

FLAWLESS VICTORY

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Accretionist posted:

Root's probability tree had a red node for, "Global Thermonuclear War."

Drama! Excitement! Tension! :neckbeard:

Good GOD I MISSED THAT. WHY DID I MISS THAT.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, Kai: The United States doesn't get this show for another hour. Don't livepost the Canadian airing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Boy am I glad this thread doesn't feel a need to whine about Anonymous. I was half expecting to find at least one guy going, "Oh, great, yet another CBS procedural who thinks a bunch of 15-year-old libertarians are the most dangerous people in America. :rolleyes:"

Instead y'all are saying exactly what I'm thinking: "So in POI Anonymous is a legit collective of badass politically-motivated hackers with guns? ...Go on."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If you're going to be at a computer tonight at 7:20 ET (4:20 PT), PaleyFest NY is streaming a Person of Interest panel with the principal cast and crew. Sadly I'll be out catching Gravity, but somebody check it out and report back.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LinkesAuge posted:

the whole thing reminded me of Terminator 2 though this time the female protagonist is not running from Skynet but towards it. ;)

You know, I say it all the drat time but I still can't get over what a cool loving concept this is.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
My new favorite episode. Hands down.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Dude, still airing in the US. Slow your roll.

Sweet Jesus that was a slick way to bring in HR.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm really enjoying Shaw on Fire.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The way she keeps calling him "SON."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OH poo poo

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OHHHHHHH poo poo

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH poo poo!

David loving Slack, ladies and gentlemen; "No Good Deed," "Prisoner's Dilemma," and now THIS. Take a goddamn bow!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LorneReams posted:

"What do you know about chemistry?"

That look was great.

I never watched LOST; was Ben Linus a chemist?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Regy Rusty posted:

Gonna try posting ahead of time this week - if you post after the Canadian airing, please at least use spoiler tags. The show doesn't air until 10 EST for your neighbors to the south.

Yeah, guys, I'm gonna emphasize this. Most people watch this show on the American East Coast. Please be courteous!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hollis posted:

Yeah really digging this episode , although I am a little unclear on why Shaw is there and Reese?

The Machine is intervening from two angles. It's got Reese and Finch working from the outside by helping the investigator, while it ordered Root to grab Shaw and infiltrate the CIA pickup of his brother.

OHHHHHHHH NUMBER SONG

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
VERY well put, Kai Tave.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Relevant, Irrelevant, Maitenance.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I kind of wonder if this show will have the balls to expose the machine to the public in this or next year's finale, exploring the kind of world THAT creates in subsequent seasons.

Wouldn't be a mark against the show if it didn't happen, of course, but I am curious.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Terney."

:fuckoff:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this? posted:

THE gently caress THEY SAY?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Game. loving. On.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A quick look to the future, if you care. This news got out a week ago but I'm only just getting wind of it. Camryn Manheim and Saul Rubinek will be stepping up for what's being touted as a big, emotional multi-episode arc in early 2014. Rubinek will play a brilliant man who is slowly losing his mind, while Manheim will play his wife. The two of them get caught up in some deep poo poo with Team Irrelevant, and the only way to escape with their lives is for her to get some crucial information out of him.

(Speculation based on spoilers.) Now, Camryn Manheim's name might not mean as much as it did 15 years ago, but she's still a name. And she's being touted for a big arc in 2014, just in time for HR to wrap up and Decima/Anonymous With Guns/The Relevant List to re-enter the picture? I'm not saying she's Control -- it doesn't even entirely line up -- but if that's where they're going, it wouldn't be the worst choice.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 19, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sisgmund posted:

To be fair he did kill Shaw, albeit briefly.

Hersch owns.

It's a testament to Boris McGiver's performance -- in my view, anyway -- that I can easily imagine him as nigh-unstoppable in unseen situations where he's not crossing paths with Team Irrelevant.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
At this point, it's worth bringing up this blind item posted on TV Line:

quote:

Check it: A prospective new TV pilot just landed a big-time actor as its star, but the up-and-coming producer/writer behind the future series can’t pitch it to a single network. Heck, he can’t even discuss it with anyone — and that’s because there’s a spoiler bomb embedded within the top-secret project.

You see, the headliner in question is currently starring on a popular hour-long drama series. And if word were to get out that he has committed himself to a new full-time gig, it could potentially ruin a major upcoming twist: his onscreen death.

Bear in mind this could have absolutely nothing to do with PoI, but if this "popular hour-long drama series" is in fact this show...look, I'm just saying, Kevin Chapman is awesome but he didn't exactly propel to stardom on the back of Black Dynamite.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MrFlibble posted:

If I'm remembering right Finch would be Charlie and that would make Fusco... Bosley, right?

Fusco would make for a pretty baller Bosley.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I would actually be okay with Reese dying. Fusco or Carter not so much and they had better keep away from Bear! Reese dying would be a ballsy move as a lot of the series has revolved around his back story (admittedly completed) and he is the biggest name in the cast.

Honestly, the more I turn it over in my head, the less likely it seems. You're talking about a show that MADE its iconography on "The Man in the Suit." Once that's gone, you're left with Shaw assuming the role as the lead muscle, backed up in the field by Carter, with Root resuming her wild card role, and Finch and Fusco continuing on as Charlie and Bosley, respectively.

Let me be clear, I'D LOVE TO SEE THAT. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. Shahi would tear the loving roof off as the hypothetical new lead of PoI. But I don't know if CBS, whose slogan may as well be "Dapper White Men Get poo poo Done," would be okay with the main action lead of this show being replaced by a woman of Spanish and Iranian descent, and the regular cast consisting of three women and two men. Especially since the ratings aren't what they were last year.

In a few years? When execs catch on to the idea that viewers are looking for more diverse casts in their shows? This becomes a much more plausible idea. But I think CBS is, like the rest of the Big Four, a little slow on the uptake.

I'll be pleasantly surprised (and horrified) if it does turn out to be Reese, but my money's on either Carter or Fusco. Ideally, though, it'll be "no one because this entire cast is just great." So either way I'm dreading tonight's episode.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 19, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Kai Tave posted:

All the while ignoring that Sarah Shahi is half Iranian half Spanish.

"BUT SHE LOOKS AND ACTS WHITE SO IT DOESN'T COUNT"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Choose your anthem for tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0xfXLA_pg

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPfAQdtguTs

Feel free to suggest something better (though you might not want to clog up the page with embeds).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Slamhound posted:

Well there's already precedence...

If you're going for a DJ Shadow song, why not use a song that combines TWO DJ Shadow songs, and tosses in Mos Def for free?

EDIT: And if you want another artist with precedent...

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A reminder for our friends up north: NO LIVEPOSTING. You assholes get it an hour early, don't completely ruin it for us.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sarern posted:

Yes.

Edit: saving these for 23 minutes from now

Hey, so Enrico Colantoni wasn't in the credits. Thanks for ruining that, rear end in a top hat.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Sarern posted:

I quoted every prediction I could find, and I only found two. Sorry that one of them was right?

Dude, I read that as soon as it was clear that it wasn't going to be Reese. You know people have seen this early, and if you're one of those people, you know there's gonna be a good ten minutes before the Elias reveal. Either way, why would you even risk kicking out the legs of that Simmons / Fusco brawl?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bobkatt013 posted:

Trent Reznor has even said that its now Cash's song.

The legend goes -- and I'm going to tell it because I feel compelled to -- that Cash asked Reznor if he could cover the song, and of course he said "yes" but was naturally worried that it would come across as "gimmicky." Well, Reznor's buddies with Mark Romanek, the guy who wound up directing the music video. An early cut comes in from Romanek while Reznor's in the studio with Zach De La Rocha (lead singer of Rage Against the Machine).

Reznor broke down crying during his first viewing. De La Rocha straight up left the room.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

That's sort of the best case scenario for Team Irrelevant, if the organized crime element of this world is now more or less under control it allows them to focus more on stuff like Decima and Vigilance.

That's what I'm suspecting will happen, if only because Decima, Vigilance, and Team Relevant is all next level poo poo that will bring the series to places it's been threatening to go for a long while (ever since "God is an American"). That's not to say that I have no interest in an Elias arc -- honestly, I'll eat whatever this show puts in front of me at this point, my trust in it is so high -- but from where I sit, it doesn't look like an Elias arc would tread any new ground.

Besides, if they keep Elias as a sidelined asset, that allows Enrico Colontini to do his own thing in Canada.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 1, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Iowa Snow King posted:

So at the end there did the Machine turn Samaritan back on or did it simply notice that Samaritan had reactivated?

It was recalibrating based on new information. It assumed Samaritan was deactivated, but now that there's a Mexican Standoff over where it is, The Machine is saying "Oh wait, maybe it's still running. Better check that."

Also, I totally hedged, BUT...

DivisionPost posted:

Now, Camryn Manheim's name might not mean as much as it did 15 years ago, but she's still a name. And she's being touted for a big arc in 2014, just in time for HR to wrap up and Decima/Anonymous With Guns/The Relevant List to re-enter the picture? I'm not saying she's Control -- it doesn't even entirely line up -- but if that's where they're going, it wouldn't be the worst choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JossiRossi posted:

So the Machine's major goal before was that it would alert the government to terrorist attacks. Or more basically threats to people's lives. The Machine is also fearful of a calamity in the future it wishes to prevent. It also in this episode stated it's goal is to protect everyone. Not to inform the right people of what to do. That seems to be an internalization of the goal. If the aim is to protect everyone, that is VERY at odds with the idea of a free society. Increasingly the Machine hints at wanting more active ability to perform these duties.

It would be one hell of a twist for the Machine to become the antagonist against Team Irrelevant, once whatever catastrophe it foresees has been averted.

Instead of simply posing the "freedom vs. safety" dilemma to its audience it's throwing you right into the middle of it and forcing you to consider it. It frames The Machine as heroic and trusts that you'll understand that an Artificial Intelligence that has the government with a literal knife to its neck is a loving scary proposition in and of itself.

This is a CBS procedural.

• Locked thread