Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

Imagine a wild west world where lead, or more accurately lead bullets, are illegal. Why? Because there is a safer option: Mercyium. A metal which has the odd property of going though air and other inaminate perfectly normaly, but cannot penertrate biological material very well, due to a bizzare chemical reaction.

This would be the worst idea ever and it doesn't take a moment of thought to figure that out, which is apparently more than this troper could spare. If anyone misses their shot, it's just going to keep going through walls and dirt and so forth until it hits something living. So these bullets are way less safe than lead.

quote:

Most things in the Zaran il Legio world, from internal heating to flying ships, runs on a phlebotinum called soul stones. Soul stones are made from crystallized soulstuff. The ethical implications of using someones life-essence to power your car is not really explored.

This is just loving lazy. "Bloo bloo bloo, ethical implications aren't fun to write about, I just want wacky pseudoscience, a bloo" wants to make me punch this guy.

None of this is world building, it's just a big ol' pile of mutual masturbation as they tell each other how super clever they are for trope tropey troping troper tropely tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

WickedHate posted:

Mercyium? Are you kidding? That's like calling the stuff Captain America's shield is made out of "stronganite".

Yeah instead it has the totally realistic and scientific name of adamantium :v:

But yeah even by comic book standards "mercyium" is incredibly stupid and awkward to read or pronounce. Is it like mercy, or mer-kium? Or mer-CY-um?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Fuego Fish posted:

This would be the worst idea ever and it doesn't take a moment of thought to figure that out, which is apparently more than this troper could spare. If anyone misses their shot, it's just going to keep going through walls and dirt and so forth until it hits something living. So these bullets are way less safe than lead.
Nah, it just goes through them "normally"; the important part is that it can't kill people. The real question is why anyone would want "safe" bullets in the first place. I wonder if maybe it's because the author wanted cool machine gun battles between vehicles without worrying about injuring his protagohghalgkhalgh;g;saklgah;lgd this is so goddamn stupid

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Yeah instead it has the totally realistic and scientific name of adamantium :v:

But yeah even by comic book standards "mercyium" is incredibly stupid and awkward to read or pronounce. Is it like mercy, or mer-kium? Or mer-CY-um?

I never noticed that, because at least adamant isn't something people hear often.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 27, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Adamantine" is also a rather old word to refer to any kind of hard material, and adamant itself has also had a history of meaning "diamond".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Actually, adamantium is what Wolverine's skeleton is coated in. Cap's shield is vibranium. I never noticed the adamant part, though.

Cap's shield isn't vibranium. It's vibranium alloyed with another metal or metals. It is not adamantium as you stated, though it has been erroneously stated as being adamantium several times in comics.
:goonsay:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Nah, it just goes through them "normally"; the important part is that it can't kill people. The real question is why anyone would want "safe" bullets in the first place. I wonder if maybe it's because the author wanted cool machine gun battles between vehicles without worrying about injuring his protagohghalgkhalgh;g;saklgah;lgd this is so goddamn stupid

There's also the fact that the energy has to go somewhere, and the concussive force of a bullet bouncing off your head or chest would probably be fatal anyway.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Oh, well, that's somehow even stupider. At least magic phasing bullets, while a severely terrible idea, would be interesting as a kind of secret assassin's tool. But turning gunfights into steampunk paintball matches? That's just kind of sad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fuego Fish posted:

Oh, well, that's somehow even stupider. At least magic phasing bullets, while a severely terrible idea, would be interesting as a kind of secret assassin's tool. But turning gunfights into steampunk paintball matches? That's just kind of sad.

I really fail to see any point whatsoever in non-lethal bullets in the old west.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You all have wonderful questions, and I think this will answer them:

quote:

It usually bounces off human skin painfully, usually hard enough to seriously damage bone if aimed at the right spot. If fired point blank, it can break through the skin, making more vicous gunfights end up close.

Lead bullets ar still around, of course, but unless you're with the army (law enforcement can't get them due to communism fears.), expect them to be rare- and expensive. Lead smuggling is very serious business, after all, with big consenquences for those who the law, or for that matter, the smugglers themselves...

The wild west was known for its troubles with communism, of course.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

quote:

Lead smuggling is very serious business, after all, with big consenquences for those who the law, or for that matter, the smugglers themselves...

Did they forget what they were writing mid-sentence? :psydwarf:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

This is just loving lazy. "Bloo bloo bloo, ethical implications aren't fun to write about, I just want wacky pseudoscience, a bloo" wants to make me punch this guy.

Even worse, hasn't this been done a shitton of times even in the few media tropers actually like and pay attention to? Plus the whole "life is good at the cost of X individuals having it lovely" is downright cliché, even if you're a troper and pretend "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas" doesn't exist.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Even worse, hasn't this been done a shitton of times even in the few media tropers actually like and pay attention to? Plus the whole "life is good at the cost of X individuals having it lovely" is downright cliché, even if you're a troper and pretend "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas" doesn't exist.

It was the entire driving forced behind the plot of Fullmetal Alchemist.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

Well, I don't know. Was there a horrible underage hentai about it? Because if not, then there's probably a fair amount of tropers unaware of it being a cliche.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of admire how fundamentally bad you have to be at Westerns to think "hey, let's do a Western where bullets pose almost no threat and people can shoot each other all drat day, because it's not like the lethality of gunfights matters at all to these narratives!" Everyone knows a quick-draw contest would be much more interesting if both fighters were able to unload their entire revolvers into each other before someone falls down with a broken rib.

EDIT: The saddest part of this is that the dude is probably reading his worldbuilding quirk, smirking, and thinking to himself "deadly gunfights in Westerns? Trope subverted." :smuggo: How can these guys hang out at a site whose only purpose is vivisecting art into a fine mist and still not be able to identify which tropes are valuable and which are superfluous?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Flesnolk posted:

That's literally soulgems from The Elder Scrolls games.

Except that Skyrim actually had a quest that explored some of the ethical implications of trapping a human's soul inside of a crystal. They're not just ripping off Elder Scrolls, they're doing it without any of the nuance of a literary classic like Azura's Daedric quest in Skyrim.

Edit: Troper's favorite lines are endlessly amusing, because these are the ones they really liked.

quote:

Next to the door, a staircase leads up to a huge, high-backed marble throne covered in intricate carvings.

I take a close look at one near the top. It’s something along the lines of: “LOREM IPSVM, NONSENSIUM NONESUCH. DEUS EX MACHINA AD INFINITVM. HOC SPACIVS LEFTVM BLANKVS, ET CETERA.”

I wish I’d learned some Latin.
Truly the best lines this person has ever written.

quote:

It doesn't matter if you believe in the Gods, because they believe quite firmly in themselves.

This belief is often punctuated with lightning, plagues, and flying mountains.
god i want to be douglas adams so bad :(

quote:

There is outliving your usefulness, and then there is smothering your usefulness with a pillow as it sleeps. You somehow managed to tie down your usefulness in its basement and burn its house down.
'Deadpan Snarker' is another way of saying 'says the unfunny joke three times'.

quote:

'We've got five layers of concrete wall between them and us, trust me, we are completely safe.'

'Sir! They've breached the first wall!'

'Wh- How?! That was solid concrete, how the hell did they manage to break through that with a couple of steel swords?!'

'They've broken through the second wall!'

'Oh drat... I lied, we're dead, we're all going to die, and be forgotten.'

'Third wall broken!'

'I mean, who does the author think he is to kill me off before I've even accomplished my goals yet! It's unprofessional!'

'Fourth wall broken!'
gently caress YOU

Djeser fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 15, 2013

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Antivehicular posted:

How can these guys hang out at a site whose only purpose is vivisecting art into a fine mist and still not be able to identify which tropes are valuable and which are superfluous?

You make the assumption that they understand how these tropes apply to fiction in any basic way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I can't stop reading this thread so here's some other brilliant ideas:

quote:

Years are no longer used to date things, instead a unit called the "anko" (which is just about 1.5 Earth years) is used. In reality, it's the length of the year of the planet that became humanity's hub after they ditched Earth. But since the planet that the protagonists are on IS Earth (they don't actually know it) everyone is taught some weird explanation about how time moves in an outward spiral and an anko is supposed to be a section of that.

quote:

Every time period looks like what that time- in our world- thought the future would be like. In other words, the Victorian period was very Steam Punk, the 80s and early 90s were Cyber Punk, and for the present, well, everything looks like an iPod.

quote:

Scientology evolved differently and some of the harsher parts of it are different and a bit more reasonable and it doesn't cost anything.

quote:

The equator goes North/South instead of East/West. The North and South poles are hot, and the parts of the world farthest to the East and West are freezing.

But my favorite, I think, is

quote:

Half-elves work off of real gentics, so there is no standard. They can be anywhere from particularly long lived humans. Or have human-like bones but an elfs strength, leading to a lot of broken bones. Or they can even have elf level magic, and human level ability to control it (read: none).

Half-elves work off of real gentics.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

Years are no longer used to date things, instead a unit called the "anko" (which is just about 1.5 Earth years) is used. In reality, it's the length of the year of the planet that became humanity's hub after they ditched Earth. But since the planet that the protagonists are on IS Earth (they don't actually know it) everyone is taught some weird explanation about how time moves in an outward spiral and an anko is supposed to be a section of that.

What.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

"I think complicating things for no reason is better"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

But it doesn't even make sense! The "anko" is 1.5 Earth years. But it is really that long because it is equal to the time of a year on their planet. Which is Earth. Which means that an Earth year is equivalent to 1.5 Earth years.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

crowfeathers posted:

But it doesn't even make sense! The "anko" is 1.5 Earth years. But it is really that long because it is equal to the time of a year on their planet. Which is Earth. Which means that an Earth year is equivalent to 1.5 Earth years.

No. Humanity abandoned Earth and settled on Anko, where the year is 1.5 years, and the calendar adjusted accordingly. Now the protagonists have landed on a strange new planet, and don't know yet that it's Earth. It's like Tunnel in the Sky but with worthless extra measurements.

When I was in grade four I wrote a scifi story that listed conversion factors for the alien units to eight decimal places, but I've outgrown that stupidity. Tropers think it'll hurt verisimilitude too much if the metric system is still around.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I actually think this is an excerpt from Time Cube.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Do tropers do community projects? I want to see a dozen brilliant worldbuilders nipping at each other, trying to claim their own bit of space.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Djeser posted:

god i want to be douglas adams so bad :(
Terry Pratchett, actually; that's copied straight out of the Discworld books.

crowfeathers posted:

quote:

The equator goes North/South instead of East/West. The North and South poles are hot, and the parts of the world farthest to the East and West are freezing.
Uh... "farthest to the East and West"? What? :psyduck:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 15, 2013

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

BKPR posted:

Do tropers do community projects? I want to see a dozen brilliant worldbuilders nipping at each other, trying to claim their own bit of space.

Let's make a harem show! posted:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

Setting:

Alternate History Japan, where Edo never became the capital, instead Kyoto stayed it. This was because of the Human-Kitsune wars, which eventually dragged in the Yuki-onna as well. After years of hellish fighting, the sides finally made a treaty and the war, but Edo as well as much of the rest of Japan was burned to the ground, and after decades of Reconstruction, Fantastic Racism still persists.
* Background: During the Edo period, a young man and woman met and fell in love. On the day of their wedding, however, the young man discovered she was actually a kitsune. He didn't care in the least, and the two still got married. Six months later, the young man's brother discovers the now-pregnant woman's secret, and riles up the citizens of Edo on a Witch Hunt to attack the couple. After murdering the young man's wife and unborn child, the brother burns down the house and leaves. The young man, now mad and depraved with grief, leads the kitsune army to burn down Edo and wages war on the Shogun.

Characters:
Hoshi (星) No Last Name Given: A Nice Girl Bifauxnen (Who is descended from the brother and possibly the original man's reincarnation) She's Childhood friends with Tsutomu.
* Hoshi's Harem:
** Tsutomu (拳) no family name yet: A snarky Type B Tsundere Unlucky Childhood Friend who has no idea the Bifauxnen's female, possibly a Keet as well. He tends to be a Horrible Judge of Character, but is often correct in a bizarre way.
** Megumi (惠): A Lipstick Lesbian Hot Nurse who is a kitsune in disguise (And the reincarnation of the original Kitsune woman to boot). The Libby threatens to blackmail her. She hates Midori's cousin with a passion.
** Kaoru (香): An Adorkable potential Badass Bookworm who starts out closeted but ends up pursuing the heroine. She is accepting of Homosexuals, but due to facing bigotry from her parents she hides it for quite some time. May die later in the series, potentially after winning Hoshi's heart.
** Zhi: A Chinese Yandere Stringy Haired Ghost Guy who suffered a Cruel and Unusual Death many years ago at the hands of his Ax-Crazy childhood friend, Aka the real Zhi. He fell in love with Hoshi because she resembled her grandmother, whose harem he was originally in.
** Komatsu Shoutarou (小松小太郎): A Cosplay Otaku Guy who is obsessed with alternate universe versions of famous films and movies, and wants to someday be an actor himself. He winds up getting kidnapped. The Idiot From Osaka (somewhat) personified.

Yukio Midori (雪生緑): Magnificent Bitch Libby who acts like the relationships she has at school are "Just Business"
* The Libby's harem:
** A male Shrinking Violet young history professor from Okinawa with a crush on the libby (YUKIO-SAAAAAAAN!) who starts out as her manipulee but whom later she truly respects. He's actually a very vicious Heir to the Dojo that ran away to become an intellectual.
** Tsunekawa Hitomi (雅川一実): Meido Twin #1
** Tsunekawa Futako (雅川二子): Meido Twin #2
** Istavan Daisuke (イースタバーン大助): But Not Too Foreign Half-greek Jerk Jock and Midori's right hand man. He has Lecherous tendencies.
** Hideki No last name yet: A Dojikko Martial artist that loves yuri. He Does Not Know His Own Strength.
* Other Characters:
** Yukio Aoi (雪生青): The Harem Nanny Cousin of the libby. A male Bottle Fairy. Also a Dude Looks Like a Lady.
** Hoshi's Adoptive Grandmother: Has been through the same thing as Hoshi when she was young, and explains the human-Kitsune-yukionna wars. She later turns out to be Hoshi's biological grandmother as well. A major source of exposition.

They've had other projects too, like "Let's make a shounen manga" and "Let's make a magical girl show". Tropers are experts in a wide variety of genres.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Pretty sure they actually do have a worldbuilding forum in which they're building a fantasy world by committee, too. I imagine it isn't going well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tropers never took geography, did they?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tropers never took geography, did they?
"It's another world, how do you know geography doesn't work differently there?" :smugbert:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 15, 2013

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Uh... "farthest to the East and West"? What? :psyduck:

But actually, someone asked that exact question, and the writer responded:

quote:

This could happen if you took an Earth-like planet and hit it from the "bottom"-ish area with a large asteroid or something, causing it to spin "forwards" instead of "sideways", but have it revolve around the sun the same as before. This would create a new equator that would cover the North and South poles, making them among the warmest places on the planet.

Don't you know that Earth is four directional Time Cube?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do they not get that the earth's rotation is directed by the sun's gravitational pull? Sure, the earth's axis is tilted, but it spins the way it does for a bloody reason. And if the planet did spin "top to bottom", as this idiot believes, all he has actually done is flipped the continents around and turned his Solar system diagram 90 degrees.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do they not get that the earth's rotation is directed by the sun's gravitational pull? Sure, the earth's axis is tilted, but it spins the way it does for a bloody reason. And if the planet did spin "top to bottom", as this idiot believes, all he has actually done is flipped the continents around and turned his Solar system diagram 90 degrees.

It is possible for a planet to spin on its side, in fact Uranus does. It's just that this author seems too stupid to understand the implications of that. Or the author might want to simply rotate the map of Earth and let the planet have the same spin, so that means Ecuador would be under an ice cap while Antarctica is a tropical rainforest.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

crowfeathers posted:

quote:

This could happen if you took an Earth-like planet and hit it from the "bottom"-ish area with a large asteroid or something, causing it to explode.
Fixed that for him.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

e. beaten

I think I get it: the axial pole shifted 90° while the magnetic poles remained the same. It's not completely implausible, I mean, just look at the magnetic situation on Mars. The real question is, what could this possibly add to the story? Oh, wait. Worldbuilding uber alles. Never mind.

Also, any impact strong enough to knock the earth off its axis would also be enough to kill everything on the planet several times over.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

crowfeathers posted:

But actually, someone asked that exact question, and the writer responded:

Don't you know that Earth is four directional Time Cube?

So basically they're proposing a planet whose axis of rotation lies in its plane of revolution. What they don't realize is that all points on the "equator" (read: the set of points that are moved fastest by rotation, and are furthest from the points fixed by rotation) are effectively indistinguishable, so the "North Pole" and "South Pole" would no longer be poles or have any special properties and from a sunlight perspective would be exactly like all other points on the former Prime Meridian (or whatever other meridian became the new equator).

Meanwhile, the points fixed by rotation (which they call the "points furthest east and west", but which would actually be the poles with the new axis of rotation) would actually be special. Each would spend a large part of the year directly under the sun in perpetual day and part of the year directly opposite the sun in perpetual night (and would gradually shift between these two states, cycling once per year). Effectively, they would be like our poles are now, except the night months might be colder (I'm not sure whether getting even less sunlight during the winter months would cancel out getting so much sunlight during the summer months, and it would probably depend on how much of the region is water and how much is landmass since water holds heat better), and the day months would be extremely hot from the endless day instead of "not quite as cold but still really cold". Anything capable of living in such an environment would need to have some way of surviving for months at a time under what would effectively be two very different climates.

It would actually be pretty neat except tropers know jack poo poo about anything so they just say "North and South Poles are now Lethal Lava Land, East and West places are now Slippy Slidey Icy World, worldbuilding complete!"

e: beaten several times over, but whatever

e2: everywhere on the new equator would cycle twice per year between an extreme day/night cycle (like our own equator at the equinox) and perpetual twilight (like our poles at the equinox). Nowhere on the planet would have a stable day/night cycle for the entire year, and people probably wouldn't even think of days the same way we do. The more I think about it the more interesting this world sounds, if only someone with a brain were writing it.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 15, 2013

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It is possible for a planet to spin on its side, in fact Uranus does. It's just that this author seems too stupid to understand the implications of that.

It comes of only looking at maps and not globes. You start thinking that north and south are just directions like east and west, on this flat rectangle of oceans and land. Whereas really you have to understand the whole concept of a sphere rotating.

Maybe tropers can't think in three dimensions. I mean they have a lot of trouble understanding character depth, that much is obvious :v:

Or the author might want to simply rotate the map of Earth and let the planet have the same spin, so that means Ecuador would be under an ice cap while Antarctica is a tropical rainforest.

Haha, no, because that's an interesting idea, and tropers don't even have ideas, let alone interesting ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It is possible for a planet to spin on its side, in fact Uranus does. It's just that this author seems too stupid to understand the implications of that. Or the author might want to simply rotate the map of Earth and let the planet have the same spin, so that means Ecuador would be under an ice cap while Antarctica is a tropical rainforest.

Huh, how about that. Pretty neat. I'm not even going to begin to declare myself some genius on astrophysics or planetary rotations. I'm probably the least qualified person to be making a statement on such things. But at least I have something over tropers. Common loving sense.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

e2: everywhere on the new equator would cycle twice per year between an extreme day/night cycle (like our own equator at the equinox) and perpetual twilight (like our poles at the equinox). Nowhere on the planet would have a stable day/night cycle for the entire year, and people probably wouldn't even think of days the same way we do. The more I think about it the more interesting this world sounds, if only someone with a brain were writing it.

The degree of axial tilt is a big factor here. With a tilt of 0 or near-0, a narrow band near the equator would be constantly habitable in a perpetual twilight. With a more pronounced axial tilt, I think people would have to nomadically travel to locations with the right temperature to survive.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The degree of axial tilt is a big factor here. With a tilt of 0 or near-0, a narrow band near the equator would be constantly habitable in a perpetual twilight. With a more pronounced axial tilt, I think people would have to nomadically travel to locations with the right temperature to survive.

I've been assuming 0 axial tilt. I guess I don't have a good idea of whether perpetual twilight is actually habitable or not - our poles are in perpetual twilight around our equinoxes, and they aren't exactly habitable then, but they also don't have equator-style sunlight at other times of year.

I love the nomadic travel idea - you have people constantly following the sun just to remain in a region where days are things that exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lottery of Babylon posted:

They've had other projects too, like "Let's make a shounen manga" and "Let's make a magical girl show". Tropers are experts in a wide variety of genres.

Why does everybody use the same set of like 10 Japanese names? There are more names available than Midori or Aoi. It's like a story about Americans where everybody is named Josh, Heather or Stephen.

• Locked thread