Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm pretty sure that both take their nicknames from the WWI ace Eddie Rickenbacker, actually. :rolleye:

(He got it as a race car driver before the war, but flying is what he's remembered for.)

Also, the nickname Fast Eddie became even more popular in the U.S. starting in the '60s because of the main character in "The Hustler" (played by Paul Newman in the 1961 movie and the 1986 followup "The Color of Money").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

What is it about metal that attracts sperglords? I've never seen punk or hip-hop fans as anal and dorky as metalheads.

I sometimes feel kind of bad for metal bands that have been touring for decades and can remember playing for 1980s crowds of drunken rowdy rednecks and hairprayed libertine young women (you know, the Heavy Metal Parking Lot crowd) and now they look out from their stage and see a roomful of be-hatted tropers and scattered old people.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

quote:

Darrin: I take it you have a map of this island?
Daring: Yeah. (gets it out of her saddlebag.) Took me three hours in the campus library to track this down.
Darrin: That long? Couldn't you have got one of the pages to help?
Daring: The only one on call was Herpy (note: Later admitted to be a misprint of "Harpy"), and with his track record it would have taken us five hours.

Imaginary misprints in imaginary quotes from imaginary books in an imaginary oversaturated media franchise.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

On the subject of terrible trope names, see if you can guess (before clicking the link) what Goldfish Poop Gang means.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

A much more understandable trope name is Encyclopaedic Knowledge, which is in fact about characters who seem to know something about everything, but then it has this example near the bottom:

quote:

Many (if not the vast majority of) tropers on this very wiki would almost certainly qualify, purely by virtue of spending so much time learning so many different trivial details about so many different things for the lulz of it.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Annointed posted:

Conservatively speaking.

How fortuitously timed for Venn's birthday!

Real talk though, there's a somewhat famous specialty bra store in NYC called Linda's. They say that their new employees have to go through a three-month training program before they are allowed to do custom bra fitting for customers. And even that place only advertises up to N cup.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

The Internet claims that this is what an N cup looks like

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

A trope page called "Bestiality Is Depraved" assures us: "Bestiality is also known as Zoophilia or Zoosexuality, and the Furry Fandom do look down upon it, just so you know."

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I must be some kind of weirdo since it makes me feel good when somebody who could very well be doing something else instead voluntarily chooses to spend time with me

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

From the TVTropes page on The Fifties:

quote:

"Square" - Someone dull, out of it or otherwise not "in". Usually used to refer to a nerd, since the Fifties were before Nerds Became Sexy and long before nerds were hardcore.

Hahahaha you guys keep telling yourselves that

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Supposedly, if you read the page for the Getting Crap Past the Radar trope, it's supposed to be about very subtly burying naughty jokes, particularly in stuff meant for children. But then I find supposed examples like this, from the page for Back to the Future:

quote:

Getting Crap Past the Radar
  • Biff, when he sits at Lorraine's table and tries to grope her: "You want it, you know you want it, and you know you want me to give it to you."
  • During the scene where Marty and George are going over the plan of how they're going to get George with Lorraine we have this exchange while George is doing his family's laundry:
    • Marty: Because George (voice begins to stutter) Nice girls get angry when not-nice guys take advantage of them.
    • George: Hoh! You mean you're going to touch her on her— (holding a bra in his hand)
  • When Strickland gives Jennifer her tardy slip, she holds it up between them, her middle finger very prominent.

While the third one might be an intentional subtle joke (watch the clip here and judge for yourself), the first one is blatant about what it means -- Lorraine reacts by angrily shouting "I'm not that kind of girl" and slapping him pretty hard -- and the second one is played as a really obvious joke, especially with Marty's reaction of grabbing the bra away from George and tossing it back in the laundry basket.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

quote:

There are times when they would occasionally show the birds' (mainly Wade's)...anal holes...

Hey hey hey hey hey it's a cloaca

Also lol at that one about body paint sex

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

From the Older Than They Think index of "Settings":

quote:

Many people think that eating international cuisine is something that came about in the 1980's.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Wait, what? That's the later days of ancient Egypt, isn't it? Who's surprised by that?

The same sort of people who think eating foreign food was invented more recently than the Atari 2600, I'd guess.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

There's a trope called Eagleland Osmosis that refers to people outside the United States expecting things to work they way they do on American TV shows, such as referring to judges as "your honor" or expecting to be read their rights when arrested. The end of the introduction says, "Please note that while this trope is common in Real Life, examples here should only be from the media," but nonetheless there is a section of "Real Life" examples anyway.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

TvTropes: An obese male who may or may not have lizard-man boobs

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Because of this discussion, I went to see what TV Tropes had to say about a very highly regarded piece of fiction that makes use of pre-existing characters from another work and therefore could arguably be loosely described as fan fiction...

We don't have an article named Main/WideSargassoSea. If you want to start this new page, just click the edit button above.

Huh, how about that.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewerThanTheyThink

quote:

Nachos, often thought of as a traditional Mexican food,

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

From one of the Accidental Innuendo sub-pages:

quote:

Disney's Aladdin has a famous example of unintentional innuendo in the song "A Whole New World."

I can open your eyes,
Take you wonder by wonder;
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride.
A whole new world!
A new, fantastic point of view.
No one to tell us no, or where to go,
Or say we're only dreaming.
Unbelievable sights!
Indescribable feeling!
A whole new world!
Don't you dare close your eyes.
A hundred thousand things to see.
Hold your breath — it gets better!

Aww man get a load of all that innuendo.

(Actually that whole page is troperiffic as hell)

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Another entry on that Accidental Innuendo page indicates that at least one troper doesn't know what "accidental" means:

quote:

The Sylvester Stallone film Oscar gets two good in-film moments from linguist Dr. Poole (Tim Curry), both involving linguistic terms — the first comes when he comments on Lisa's (Marisa Tomei's) "nicely rounded diphthongs", only to have have Snaps (Stallone's character) reply that they're "what got her in this jam [Lisa's fake pregnancy]." He later comments on another (male) character's "dangling participle", and the character responds by turning around and checking his fly. Then again, this is Tim Curry (and might explain why he liked the role so much)...

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I was looking through another Accidental Innuendo page and learned that tropers think Georgia O'Keeffe's flower paintings are an example of accidental innuendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

From the We Win Because You Did Not trope page, under "Real Life (Other)":

quote:

This trope can explain the use of the term "white privilege" (and related privileges like those for men, heterosexuals, tall people, the rich, the middle-aged, etc.) by those who believe that such things exist. When the reason for the terms' usages isn't just plain old bigotry, at any rate.

• Locked thread