Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Fiat Banking Nazi posted:

They're the equivalent of the one theme sci-fi planet in star trek, a monolithic group with no individuality, who all operate on a weird biotruths logic with no regard to how a society of these people would or even could function.
Oh! Oh! I know the trope for that! What do I win? (Aside from a Missing the Point merit badge?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
You could tell her that yeah some of the site is interesting stuff like the article on Easter Eggs in video games, but it doesn't make up for the ridiculous/pervy/insane poo poo Tropers are known to do. A glance at the creepy fetishes, rampant sexualization of children and works designed for children, a harsh discouragement of literary analysis in favor of more lists of different types of rape, and the monumental obsession with mediocre works at the expense of great ones (pedo fanfiction and furry webcomics get just as much or more screen time as Leo Tolstoy?) should drive reasonable people away.

The last bit being key. This is assuming that your sister is reasonable.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Djeser posted:

That is, True Art is...
:dawkins101:

On the plus side, it makes my lovely writing look much better by comparison.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
1984 is my favorite book and I hate to see Tropers mangle it.

"SomeAnvilsNeedToBeDropped posted:

1984's epilogue has arguably the most important message in the book: Tyrants aren't invincible, no matter how tight a grip they have on the populace. The Party may claim to control reality, but it doesn't, and reality will always have the last laugh. Therefore, even though Winston doesn't live to see the Party fall, his efforts were not futile. The tighter a dictator controls his subjects, the sooner his dictatorship will collapse under its own weight.
If they'd actually read the book they'd know how hopeless the nightmare world of 1984 is. The only hope lies with the proles and the proles are dumb as dog poo poo. Doctor Who is not going to defeat Big Brother and the book doesn't take place in the same universe as Warhammer/Haruhi/Firefly.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

crowfeathers posted:

here's some stuff from the discussion section of tv tropes's lolita page
"But... but the child was the seducer, not I!" is the actual defense used by pedo scumbag narrator. Anyone who read the book would know this because Humbert Humbert's really good at defending his debauched behavior and Nabokov it talented enough to make it work.

Errr, disregard that, I meant to say "lolicon anime glorious nippon pantsu"

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Hey, get this literary analysis poo poo out of here; we're supposed to be talking about how the book contains an Unreliable Narrator and Handsome Lech and inspired a Misaimed Fandom.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I know it's like trying to lead people out of Plato's cave but has anyone told tropers that anime isn't real?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I vaguely remember that story. Something about how one of the female characters was suffering from a curse or some horrible disease and the only cure was a raping? I only know about it from a friend at the time trying to justify it at great length.

There are so many bafflingly bad elements to this comic that there's no wonder there were multiple threads dedicated to mocking it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Finisher1 posted:

Only if they all had the B^U face going on.
B<U

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Also: Don't piss off the advertisers.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Sounds like my ex-wife!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Morkyz posted:

Cracked SJW articles aren't nerds trying too hard to be funny; what they actually are is nerds not trying at all to be funny. Also there are some stock photos with "funny" captions. The rest of the site is either just ripping off Seanbaby (who I thought was hilarious when I was 15, idk about now) or lists of possibly-accurate trivia.
Seanbaby is the only good thing left on Cracked right now.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Apple Tree posted:

Which conveniently protects the mods from having to make any judgement calls. It would make analysing Deep Throat a bit difficult, though; in the Kermode documentary, one of the interviewees actually called Traynor 'a villain'. Traynor himself cheerfully admitted battering his wife with about as much compunction as most people would admit hiding cookies they didn't want to share with their wife, but hey, let's not be controversial about it!
Literal Nazis are the only real-life villains allowed on TV Tropes. Still technically against the rules, but not even the most depraved Troper is going to defend Josef Mengele.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Creator Backlash, Writer Revolt and Unwinnable are three pages I unironically enjoy. There's some cool stuff in TV Tropes that makes you wish the whole site could have that level of quality instead of jacking off to ponies, pontificating on childish anime series, and listing six hundred different types of rape.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I thought the problem with Other M wasn't the presence of a story but the way Samus was weak, blindly followed orders, and wouldn't activate harmless, useful abilities like "make my suit acid-resistant" until her boss gave her permission? None of those were present in previous games. The problem wasn't "a story exists".
This is true. Even misogynists agreed that Other M had abominable writing.

Also re: anime pedo incest poo poo, is it any wonder that we have this emoticon? :tvtropes:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

quote:

It's a simple question; if the sword can be seen as a substitute for the phallus, why can't a gun be seen as a substitute for a womb?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc

Considering how sexualized and insane the movie is, I'm surprised there isn't a 20,000 word TV Tropes page for it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Anime/Wild Mass Guessing posted:

All anime takes place several million years into the future after a major cataclysm destroys all life forms larger than a cat (basically, the extinction of dinosaurs, but with humans). Another sentient species evolves from the aye-aye, and develops a society quite similar to our own. What we think is a stylistic rendering of homo sapiens is actually a realistic rendering of humans' successors. Anime producers and mangaka are actually a society of time travellers who have seen this new species for themselves.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Some completely bugfuck tropers posted:

That would explain the Over Nine Thousand quantities of erotic 'Hentai' from Japan (that includes Moe and Naughty Tentacles), and why Anime looks too Uncanny Valley. During the time of the Empire of Japan Anime wasn't so much popular. In fact, the Japanese instead raped massive numbers of Chinese people during WW2. After Japan lost the war the US stripped them off their imperial military, meaning they cannot rape foreigners anymore. Meanwhile, Geishas were expensive, and the middle-class don't want to spend so much money after Japan was nuked. The solution: make idealized portrayals of foreigners and Rape 'Em!!!!

quote:

Oh! That also explains all the But Not Too Foreign characters. First, idealize foreign characters. Second, rape them. Third, they get preagnent. Fourth, rape them while preagnant. Fifth, they give birth to half Japanese children. Sixth, rape them too (this step is Lolicon and Shotacon. Seventh, they grow to childbearing age. Eight, rape them again. Ninth, they get pregnant... All while still raping more idealized foreigners on the side.
:tvtropes: :tvtropes: :tvtropes:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Leofish posted:

What about the animes that don't have rape in them?
Oh please, we know such a thing doesn't exist.

" I'm not making this poo poo up posted:

Anime will replace real females as sex slaves, or substitutes for lovers.

It was based on this article. Seriously, anime are so beautiful, they are even loved and had sex to like how we have sex with real life humans in this world, even to the extent of romance and interactive emotions. That plain cuteness and lack of free will is so arousing......

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
All Rape Is Unrequited

The good news is that at least Sailor Moon doesn't have any rapes in it! ...just "Mind Rape" and one character "making her think she was going to get raped at one point" and some very overt rape overtones.
Bullshit, in 1997 I saw this one site and

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Oh poo poo I finally found a trope that actually has an analysis page!

I wish I hadn't.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Incoherence posted:

Bradbury sets up Mars as a parallel to the Old West (and other eras of frontier migration): if his contemporary society suddenly found a new frontier, who would go and why?
gently caress that, I wanna know which characters are Tsundere and which are Yandere! :derp:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Axis Powers Hetalia fandom is deranged enough that you could do a whole thread just about them.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

the Westboro Baptist Church,
This would have potential to be hilarious if it wasn't a damned troper writing it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, I know that Nobunaga mostly ignored samurai in favor of peasant troops. He managed to beat back several powerful clans by focusing on forming a heavily drilled Ashigaru army and giving them all guns.
Haha, is his lack of "honor" the reason why Nobunaga is always portrayed as a villain in Japanese media?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
De Sade was a vile motherfucker no matter how you look at it. Surprising, then, that there aren't more tropers defending him.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Note: I have prefered pronouns, if you're going to reference me, please say either Shub/Shubm/Shubs/Shubself in place of male pronouns.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Has anyone ever told tropers that rape is bad? As in, not something to be celebrated?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

HapiMerchant posted:

That poo poo about how writers try to redeem their villains by saying "Look, they HATE rapists too!" and having them kill a rapist or something is weak writing. If you want me to sympathize/empathize with a villain, you shouldn't have to have them kill some other scum. Scum A killing Scum B doesn't make Scum A good just because Scum B is worse then Scum A.

But of course BEEP BOOP tropers see it as a math equation or some poo poo where by committing evil against evil you cancel into good or something. loving Tropers.
I think I figured out the formula here:

1 wrong
+ 1 wrong
-----------
   1 right

:tvtropes: :tvtropes: :tvtropes:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

MinistryofLard posted:

The Getting Crap Past the radar pages are really TVTropes distilled into pure-strain :tvtropes:
Exception: Rocko's Modern Life, which really is as gross and perverted as Tropers think it is.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I think it's an insane pedo nerd in a disgusting horse suit.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality fanfic review by Terrie 8th Oct 13

Reminds me of Pilgram's Progress

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Label culture is one of the most embarrassing things to come from the current generation.
Please don't labelshame, I'm a sensitive strong independent labelkin

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I wish CrazyGoggs was still around. Are there any other Youtube channels about ridiculing insane poo poo from TV Tropes?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh for Christ's sake. Of course they had to throw in a scenario where the girl is an evil dirty manipulative slut toying with the poor helpless pedophile, because to do otherwise could imply that *gasp* there is something wrong with people who get boners over 12-year old girls!! (i.e. 90% of TVTropes).
It's the Humbert Humbert defense. "The child seduced me!"

Tropers must think of themselves as intelligent, handsome pedophiles like Humbert or Roman Polanski and not the insane creepy nerds they are.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Apparently enough people missed the point of the novel to create a billion-dollar animation industry based on the concept of reeeeeally not getting it. :barf:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

corn in the bible posted:

Of all the fetishes to not find totally strange and creepy (while at the same time not having said fetish), did it have to be Nazi fetishists? To me, it makes sense because...well, really; tall, blond, blue-eyed Germans in uniform...you just know someone made a propaganda ad to encourage support for Nazism. And it worked. I'm just wondering why I don't consider it that weird...

As a kid growing up in the 1990s, the most skin I would ever glimpse on a girl would be from the stomach when a shirt rode up - hence my midriff fetish. The TV shows on at the time were Power Rangers and Sailor Moon, which frequently featured mind control plots. Cue my mind control fetish.

This troper agrees with the above, but also brings up the theory that it's tied to one's upbringing, and that during teenage years when the brain is all rewired (as mentioned above), some things are changed from being pleasing to being... pleasing. I grew up always building cities out of Lego and Hot Wheels toys, and ended up a macrophiliac.
Why would anyone admit to this poo poo?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

That poo poo is genuinely more disturbing than all the :tvtropes: and pedochat.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Ninjasaurus posted:

I'm not implying that guy lifted this idea but it reminds me of the evil Emperor from Final Fantasy II (a game I'm playing right now). After he's killed by the rebellion, his soul goes to Hell, where he murders Satan and takes over. Then, after he's killed again in Pandemonium, his soul goes to Heaven, he murders God, and takes over.
There's a trope for that! Several, actually!

I know this. I hate myself and I want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stupid explanation for something that didn't need to be explained.
The Star Wars expanded universe in a nutshell.

• Locked thread