Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

Yes, the fact that science exists is all the pursuasion one should need to not be a magical nazi anymore.
drat this is stupid, this is all so loving stupid.

"Can wizards go to space?" . Also I can find my books too, it's not a magical ability it's called "organisation".

Why is Harry so proud? Is his science boner so immense that he is proud of any and all science ever (yes).

I give up, this is just so loving stupid.

Here we go. Prepare for the biggest load of stupidity.

This is it. Harry thinks that because he's apparantly the only wizard ever to know that science exists, and that therefore he knows of science AND magic, he'll be able to unite the two into some sort of superpower that'll give him and his followers the power to rule the universe.

They weren't already on the train? They've just been standing on a platform in a magic science bubble chatting about rape and murder. You'd think that maybe an adult with magical talent might have noticed.

What?

It's worth noting that in the first four books Draco was pretty much just a magical bully, he'd been brought up to believe he was better than other people, but he wasn't really evil, just kind of a magical racist. He wasn't this manipulative or evil, in fact he was never really evil at all, he just tried to live up to his evil father's expectations. Draco's arc in the books is basically a guy finding redemption through realising that he was making the wrong choice in life.

But snape was never a friend and ally. In fact it was common knowledge amongst the Death Eaters that snape had betrayed them for Dumbledore's side, and a big part of the last two books is an exploration of which side Snape was on. At this point in canon he's publically working for, and with, Dumbledore.

And that's the end of the chapter.

That was the last chapter of that poo poo I ever did.

"And I owned him with my knowledge of science and the whole room stood up and applauded."

Man, a lot of fantasy gets called wish fulfillment, but this is pure-strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Yes, we get it. Also, why do you have so many tropes about defecating you loving perverts?

It's at least fitting here- Swift did have a bit of a scatological obsession.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I browsed through their entries for Big Lipped Alligator Moments, basically moments in media that seem to have nothing to do with anything else in said media. It's a thing that arguably happens. But a lot of the time it's clear that Tropers have no idea what themes are and how you might reinforce them by putting in moments that reinforce them without advancing the main story:

quote:

The Dancing Fire Gang from Labyrinth, though there is a very small reference to them earlier in the film and another in the finale. They still make no major impact on the plot. There's also a scene involving an old man arguing with his talking hat. Both instances feature the main character simply stumbling into some unhelpful creatures and then leaving.

(The scene goes on for a bit but it's Thematic Reinforcement 101.)

quote:

In the 2005 remake of King Kong, we are treated to a monologue by Captain Hayes, who compares the events of the film (somewhat breaking the Fourth Wall) to Heart of Darkness. Neither the book nor its similarities to the film are ever mentioned again.

quote:

Armageddon has a scene where Ben Affleck sings "Leaving on a Jet Plane" to his girlfriend only for some of his co-workers to join in. This scene only lasts for a few seconds and then they never mention it again.

He is literally leaving.

quote:

In Star Trek: Generations Data, who, until this film, was completely emotionless, randomly starts singing and using his console as a musical instrument while scanning for life forms. Everyone there stops and stares at him then goes back to whatever they were doing, (Riker seems to be thinking 'WTF?' the whole time). In true fashion, no one says anything afterwards. There's also the 'Mr Tricorder' scene where he starts mimicking Picard with a Tricorder and seriously weirding Geordi out.

Well, the point is supposed to be that Data, who's just had an emotion chip installed, is being overwhelmed by the unfamiliar emotions and behaving slightly erratically. Although his ways of expressing it are slightly random.

"This has an explanation but I want to add something to the list."

quote:

Mulholland Drive has a lesbian sex sequence that comes out of nowhere and goes nowhere.

THE ROMANCE IS CENTRAL TO THE FILM YOU MORONS

quote:

The part in the American film version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where flyswatters come out of the sand to smack the protagonists. Though since this is the Vogons' home planet and the flyswatters hit you whenever you have an idea, it does nicely explain the Vogons' personalities of refusing to ever take any initiative without a ton of paperwork.

The movie literally explains what these things are but it still makes no sense to you, humble Troper.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken

EDIT: Beaten, but oh well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Lovecraft still has a certain nerd-cred value because his stuff has stayed just outside the mainstream- there's never been a big movie based on his stuff (low budget films like Re-Animator and The Dunwich Horror are the closest we got), and Cthulhu & co. aren't really household names (even though he was in a goddamn South Park episode) so there's still a certain "You know Cthulhu? You're a nerd like us!" thing going.

Whereas "Conan the Barbarian" is a more widely recognized cultural image, if only from the Schwarzenegger movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Howard's take on race is really all over the place. In a story like "Vale of Lost Women" you've got the black characters as savage rapists of white women and all that crap, but in another story he'd write the same black culture as a bunch of noble warriors Conan gladly fights alongside.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Sounds rather generic, also doesn't seem like the enemy is much of a threat.

For a while I thought "that's a nice enough character description, he's a little bland but he's not a pile of weeaboo cliche", and then the tropes list started and :stare:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Didn't Adams admit that he was drunk as all hell when writing that chapter which is why he put the wrong multiplication problem, but he liked it enough to leave it there?

Nah, it's in the radio series and it's preceded by Arthur figuring out that if he evolved from the Golgafrincham B-Ark people instead of the cavemen, the question in his head is probably the wrong one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well the fundamental point of H2G2 is that the universe is incomprehensible, so the question being "wrong" makes sense even without the plot justification.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Every time I see Touhou I momentarily think it's a misspelling of Toho.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if the fanart would be better or worse if it was all Godzillas instead of little girls.
E: Thought this was a different thread

From a legal standpoint, better. From a purely ethical standpoint, it is hard to say.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Congrats Tropers, you've made me hate metafiction.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost tempted to do some rewrites again. That whole battle sequence- there's something to the image of this short-of-stature woman wielding a weapon that's almost as large as she is, maybe she runs out of ammo and has to switch to melee in close quarters, brutally stabs some attackers, but then this strange alien creature comes in and he's superhumanly quick and it's all she can do to not die until help comes... but of course the strange alien creature spouts melodramatic dialogue and so does she and there's no sense of intensity to it at all.

Even if your subject matter is tropey and anime as all get-out, it's all about the execution.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Seriously the debate is over. If the Gamergate folks were really concerned about journalistic integrity they would have focused on major publishers pressuring sites to get them good reviews (like the Kane & Lynch fiasco), not a small group of indie people and journalists getting together to talk shop which happens in every goddamn industry ever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Edgar Allan Poe was raised by an actual slaver and yet he never wrote a story about how grotesque black men was.

He did write an essay in support of slavery though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ratspeaker posted:

Looking forward to the annual rush of "All right, time to work on my NaNo!" followed by one chapter of lovely fanfiction, followed a week later by "I'm so far behind, I should really be working on my NaNo," followed by total silence.

That's if we're lucky. If we're unlucky, Mills College Anime Club Part II.

• Locked thread