Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man, what else would qualify for a trope with that criteria? "Peeing Standing Up"? "Crying In The Corner Because I Can't Get Laid"?

Sniper rifles. Not like, a trope page dedicated to mythologies surrounding the sniper rifle and the sniper, none of that poo poo. Nope. Just sniper rifles. Sniper rifles are a trope. Sniper rifles are to literature what Faustian bargains are to literature. Many works feature sniper rifles, and their featuring of sniper rifles gives us keen insight into the nature of their story of and the influences the artist is drawing from because: video games, judging by the size of that section.

I'm sure I've brought this up in one of the prior threads, but it is still completely loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

quote:

Monster Girl Quest: Lose and the Girls Rape You. It's a deep and engaging story deconstructing half the tropes in existence and parodying the rest, involving a race war that goes back to the dawn of the world... but that doesn't change the fact that the battle mechanic is the hero fighting off the monster girls who are trying to rape him.

The "deconstructing half the tropes" line also links to another another loving page. I guess it's the SSJ2 of "deconstruction"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think the problem is he gets credit like this: "Where Scream put a postmodern twist on slasher films, The Cabin In The Woods takes on the whole genre and twists even harder... The script brings to the fore Whedon’s love of subverting clichés while embracing them and teasing out their deeper meaning." (http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-cabin-in-the-woods,72287/)

And it's really inaccurate. I think Cabin in the Woods was a pretty good movie too, but it says gently caress all about horror cliches other than that they exist. It was really frustrating when they bring up all the archetypes at the end, and let the fact that the only female archetypes are both sexual in nature (virgin and slut) pass without comment.

A lot of his stuff feels like that. He brings up cliches or stereotypes or problems, but fails to analyze or challenge them in any meaningful way.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Djeser posted:

messy hair is a trope

Oh man, that's me! That's who I am in the mornings! It's a motif in my life! I finally have a troper tale of my own!

Other morning motifs: Coffee. I wonder what Tropers have to say about coffee?

Uncoffee posted:

Every single Speculative Fiction setting comes with a hot, mildly stimulant beverage that can take the place of coffee, and more often than not has a name that sounds very much like "coffee". Apparently coffee itself is too mundane to talk about; alternately, authors of Medieval European Fantasy may want to avoid it because it wasn't common in Europe until the 17th century.
Compare Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp", the supertrope for things other than coffee.
Oh. Okay. So they already have a page for sci-fi writers calling mundane poo poo ridiculous names. But coffee's important enough to get its own trope page, I guess?

quote:

In the Judge Dredd universe they drink Synthi-Caff
Yeah, sure. Okay!

quote:

The Borijans—the six-limbed birdlike aliens responsible for the mechanical biosphere on Titan—on the other hand drink (or rather drank, as their planet was destroyed half a million years ago) graff, made from a kind of dried seaweed. Justified in that they're six-limbed birdlike aliens from a planet that was destroyed half a million years ago.
Maybe? I don't know why it needs to be "justified", but okay. I guess it's not about being coffee but about being a culturally significant drink, then? Does that make tea "uncoffee" or is coffee "untea"?

quote:

In Dune they drink coffee flavored with melange, which makes perfect sense for Space Arabs.note Granted, this isn't entirely by choice, since melange is everywhere on Arrakis anyway, to the point that everyone on Arrakis is addicted to it.
No wait that's about putting legitimately new poo poo into your coffee. So it's about seasoning?

quote:

A piece of Warhammer 40k fluff had the Imperial Guard drinking "Recycled caffeine" at an outpost before they were massacred by the Tyranids
So it's about... drinking coffee, but it's kind of gross?

quote:

In Fairest by Gail Carson Levine, the citizens of Ayortha enjoy a hot molasses beverage called ostumo.
Oh, okay, it's about drinking sugar.

quote:

Frederick The Great liked coffee boiled in champagne.
???????

quote:

In Horatio Hornblower, the Navy typically uses burnt bread (with lots of sugar to mask the taste) once the actual coffee runs out.
So calling it coffee is a trope too? Hot drat! Put that one up on the "tropes in my rl" board! Finally something that makes sense on this page.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

It means "these are my favorite things, therefor I will mix them all together and just assume everything comes out nice and good and interesting for people who are not me." Both The Secret World and Cthulhutech are all about conspiracies to cover up the existence of otherworldy murder monsters while the other three things are fantasy worlds where I imagine the murder monsters are just the norm. It'd be like a world where there's a government conspiracy to cover up the existence of Double Satan by a government agency headed by Single Satan and their team of Lizardmen.

It's also interesting they picked Cthulhutech instead of something like Delta Green(Another Cthulhu centric government conspiracy thing). Probably because Cthulhutech has giant robots. Or maybe because it has rape camps and other "mature" things.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 29, 2013

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I already know that the answer is a firm No but don't these people want to improve their work?

How could they possibly improve? Their works, whether they actually exist or are just ideas bouncing around in their heads, are so much like the things they already enjoy that clearly they are exactly as good. It's mathematics. If a thing is good and you like it in one context, then tearing it out like it was just a single gear and shoving it into your thing won't diminish or change its quality at all. The gently caress is context anyways? All shall be well, and all manner of anime shall be well.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

Even better is the fact that they have a Nightmare Fuel page for Film/TV vanity plates.

There were people scared of the "Feature Presentation" title cards from 90s Disney video cassettes?

Nah man, you don't understand. Look at this loving egg with its satan horns and devil teeth.

And this poo poo right here is so scary and horrifying and discordant! You just don't know, it terrified all the mega drive owners everywhere! I'm not a huge baby!

Man, this page is long as hell. They are really terrified of being told what things are or who made things.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

MizPiz posted:

Can I get a selection of Lovecraft's more blatant forms of racism? I'd especially love to see where "On the Creation of Niggers" was introduced and fits into the mythos.

Rats in the Wall has a cat named friend of the family Man, named after his own cat. There's also the repeated theme of white people breeding with monsters, such as in The Dunwich Horror of Shadow Over Innsmouth, that is basically just a slightly more fantastical version of "miscegenation." This seems like a pretty solid essay on some of the awful poo poo in Lovecraft.

I also imagine that part of the reason nerds and tropers love Lovecraft so much, other than his influence on metal or video games, is that the great old ones are pretty easy to emulate. Say your monster is indecipherable and indescribable, give it a vaguely named cult, maybe throw in some fish parts, boom you have a new great old one. It's like vampires or werewolves or whatever, it's something you can very easily treat as a series of boxes to tick instead of something integral to the character.

'Course that approach fails to understand the appeal of those kind of monsters. Azathoth isn't scary because it's got a bunch of ugly eyes, it's scary because it's a black hole or a cloud of cosmic radiation or one of a bunch of other very real cosmic phenomenon that could eradicate us at any moment. Look at their page on cosmic horror stories. They mention powerlessness basically once, and that's not in their checklist.

edit: Hell, that they think madness is an integral aspect of a Lovecraftian poo poo is indicative that they just like a superficial checklist. You can very easily have a cosmic horror story without madness - Lovecraft himself wrote quite a few of those. It's like suggesting a romance story has to have a marriage.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

William Bear posted:

If his novel gets published, I'm dressing as him for Halloween. Seriously, I bolded the stuff that made me :stare: in amazement when I read it, and re-reading his description, I want to bold all of it. If anyone in this thread has any artistic skill, I would be very amused to see a depiction of this guy.

It's like the mutated inbred offspring of a Monster Hunter monster. It's basically just Evil Joe with some stupid extra limbs and cyborg parts decent reception.

• Locked thread