Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It all came down to the troper misunderstanding a Mythbusters episode where they showed it was faster to stab a dude with a knife then he could aim and fire at you, so long as you were less than 15 feet away.

And how this does not scale up to a sword since the swinging motions and the like take a lot longer then a quick knife jab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DaveWoo posted:

Nah, Misfile is pretty bad when it comes to handling gender/trans issues. And it churns out fanservicey crap by the truckload.

There was some point where the original author gave up writing/drawing it and let one of their fans take over the official comic website and I think even got named the official continuance or sequel to the comic. And that fan did a ton of fanficcy stuff with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kalos posted:

The last several dozen posts have Meade me pretty ashamed of liking Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series when I was in Jr High. Though at least it "just" had lovely things to say about gender rather than being a tract supporitng child rape.

Well you do have the perfectly valid excuse that you were a literal child who didn't know any better.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MisterBibs posted:

Somewhat off topic, but has anyone ever written a story in a wiki format? Works War Z told the story of an Event through the recollections of those involved in the Event, and there's a recent video game that told a story via discovering stuff around the protagonist's house.

This question is kinda personal to me, because a long time ago I had a story that I wanted to write, but realized I couldn't do it justice as a traditional narrative. I briefly considered translating it to a fan wiki in which readers would learn the story via an in-universe educational encyclopedia.

The Dionaea House story arguably fits that mold. Though it's not a user editable wiki, instead it's presented as several interconnected websites:

http://www.dionaea-house.com/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Oxxidation posted:

The thought occurs to me of what this freak would have done without the internet as an outlet.

The exact same stuff, on paper and videotape.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Adamantine" is also a rather old word to refer to any kind of hard material, and adamant itself has also had a history of meaning "diamond".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Lesbian sex is the only part of Mulholland Drive they remember, hence why they chose it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

Who the gently caress has five mirrors in their bedroom?

Someone who accidentally broke one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fiat Banking Nazi posted:

I think I knew this at some point, but what the hell does the exclamation point mean in that title? I keep interpreting it as a click consonant.

(changed aspect)!(fictional universe/character)

Like Everyone Wears Cowboy Hats!Star Trek

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Did these people not know about hyphens?

Hyphens were already used for something else on livejournal fandom weirdos.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

What does this even mean? I've no clue how often I've read this nonsense, but what he was trying to say in this sentence is still inscrutable to me.
[/quote]

He thought he was badass for yelling at someone who joked about him being beaten up, apparently after school or on some kind of field trip.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The section of the site where these were originally posted wouldn't allow you to say "I did this" or "lame username did this" because it was supposed to be a generic thing. So if you wanted to talk about how you were the Cool Badass Trenchcoat Lander trope in real life, you had to say "this troper".

Then they decided it was a good idea to keep doing this when talking about themselves on their forums and poo poo like that so...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Arcsquad12 posted:

What the gently caress is Dangan Ronpa, anyways? It always seems to come up when whiny internet spergs are around.

It's a Japanese video game series that hasn't had an official release in English and the only dude putting out a translation is some goon in let's play who's translating it as he plays.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Somfin posted:

It's because one of their favourite villains ever is and always will be Cthulhu, which for some reason can be divorced from its surrounding context without losing much of anything. They loving love Lovecraft, even though I doubt most of them have actually read a single story by him. (Cthulhu wasn't important in the mythos. At all)

The Mythos in total wasn't important to itself at all, at least in Lovecraft's stories.

The whole idea of it was to just have certain entities that could be plopped into stories to create the suggestion of connectedness between stories that didn't really have meaningful connections.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Cthulhu Mythos was originally just the idea "hey writing buddies if we each reference these same names in our horror stories it will come off spooky as heck to our readers, who don't know we write letters to each other constantly". That people take it seriously and try to give it continuity is just kinda sad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Venusian Weasel posted:

To be fair to tropers, people were already doing that not long after Lovecraft's death. I mean, Lovecraft died in 1937 and by 1941 August Derleth was already trying to organize the whole thing into a good guy/bad guy pantheon. There's a long history of trying to make something coherent out of the incoherent mythos.

Derleth was halfway to being the first Troper honestly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

corn in the bible posted:

These forums can't really handle a lot of special symbols either.

نعم ما في وسعهم
Ben şu anda bir sürü kullanarak ediyorum
Ani všetky tieto podivné diakritika a abecedy
ファーストエディはちょうどお尻を吸う

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

N. Senada posted:

Yeah, like that, I can't read any of that. These forums man, I tell ya

That's your browser having a problem, not this site.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elfface posted:

Now I know I've seen something about Red Riding Hood and Wolf-Rape before... something about how fairy tales were cleaned up, and they used to be really grim(m). Like Cinderella's Ugly Stepsisters taking knives to their feet to try and fit into the glass slippers.

Well the original versions of Red Riding Hood written down were much more graphic in the violence, but it did not include rape.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

What is Fanon? Surely they can't mean Frantz Fanon...

Fanon is what happens when fanfiction/fanart/etc for a media property takes on a life of it's own, and you've got people making their own fanwork of another fan's stories about whatever. A set of canon rules is established for what happens as a result of some poo poo like Star Wars offshoot where Princess Leia hooks up with Chewbacca and has kids or whatever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Here is an example of fanon in action: http://sonicfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Fanon_Wiki

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also, fanon usually ends up like when tropers make painstaking lists of the tropes in some bullshit they wrote: utterly useless to just about anyone, because noone cares about making the sequel to your epic masterpiece of Mario finding true love with Princess Zelda and the exact way you changed both game worlds for your story's purpose.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dabir posted:

That was revealed really late in the series, so by that time everyone had decided her name was Virginia and it was in all the fanfiction so it was basically canon or at least fanon which is basically canon right, so when Rowling revealed it was Ginevra it was a major upset.

Yeah it was this, the "Ginevra" name isn't revealed until the near the ending of the last book (it might even have been in the epilogue?). Also Virginia, while being an old fashioned and fairly weird name these days, is at least a lot more common than "Ginevra".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DoctorWhat posted:

But half the Weasley family is named after Arthurian characters, so Ginny should have been obvious!

That character's name is spelled as Guinevere wayyyy more often then as Ginevra. Especially in the modern day.

And Ginny isn't a normal nickname for Guinevere - more typically that would be "Gwen".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

You are expecting tropers to be knowledgeable of anything that isn't anime, children's cartoons, or young adult fiction.

We're talking Harry potter fans in general dude. You know, mostly people who were like between 8 and 18 while the series was coming out, and who would pretty much never have seen the spelling/name "Ginevra" ever. It's not even like it was ever the common spelling for the arthurian legends.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

neongrey posted:

But that's a dude's name. :psyduck:

It basically wasn't anyone's name in the US before the Harry Potter books came out, and most of the fanbase was in the US. I know when I first saw it as like a 9 year old kid, I just assumed it was some sort of name made up for wizards.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sweeperbravo posted:

It's kind of an old-ish name, I'm pretty sure it derives from names meaning "fair-haired."
Yeah, although for some bizarre reason a lot of people started naming their kids Blaise again starting in the late 90s. But that didn't hit its peak until the same time as Blaise in HP was revealed to be both definitely a boy and also not white. (I'm not saying these were connected mind you, just pointing out why American kids wouldn't know what Blaise referred to, other then "foreign").

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Byde posted:

What's with Japanimine's fascination with Tsunderes? It's like a really creepy and horrifying version of video game's obsession with every RPG hero having plot-twist-hiding amnesia.

Do you really think "character who acts mean but actually loves/likes other character" only exists in Japan or something? poo poo there's one right in Hey Arnold. Or like a third of all the crappy soap operas and sitcoms out there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Man some of you people said attempts at scary video game stories were bad, the worst has to be the stories about totally haunted computer viruses. All the complete lack of technical knowledge your typical "and then a photorealistic skeleton popped out and showed me my family dead!" story has, and then some.

Like this one:

However, one of them started acting really weird. As it turns out, he had gotten his hands on the first of the three files: Cold.png. He delivered it to the rest of the Retributors and they looked at it to check up on it.

None of them dared open it on their own computers. Instead, they pulled the file up on a separate computer that promptly crashed not long after. After a week of nausea, they came back together and sold all their laptops and bought a $25,000 supercomputer.

This computer was used to hack into Cold.png. The hackers noticed something fishy in the binary, however. They removed the code and copy/pasted it into another document, assuming this was the cause for the computer crashing every time it was opened. They didn't open the picture, though. They were too smart for that.

A day later, they opened up the binary to check again and found that it had rewritten itself. The hackers made sure to copy this to a paper document and left it at one of the members' houses.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I know about those.

But seriously look at that story: selling laptops to buy a supercomputer to hack into a haunted PNG file, and the author wasn't making a joke.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Namtab posted:

Well that was a lot of buildup and lovely techspeak just to rip off an episode of Doctor Who.

Just thought I'd take this quote and give a quick lesson on why troper writing sucks. I haven't clicked the original link but I assume this is the ending of the story.

The words I've underlined are completely redundant to the ending. A smart reader would be able to make that connection himself. All the troper did was take a slightly creepy line (I'll ignore the fact that it's just a rip off of the weeping angels from Dr Whp) which might have been a decent ending in a better written story, then write another paragraph making sure the audience got the message in the most ham handed way possible.

Show, don't tell. Show me that throughout the story anything that takes the form of the piche becomes the piche. Try and subtly show me at some point that this includes written documents. Then at the end of the story, when you remind me of this rule, I'll be able to make the connection myself.

One further point, "The Piche", really? I'm no expert but it seems like the best horror names come from either innocuous sounding descriptions "The Alien" "The Slender Man" "The Princess" or by avoiding a description and just calling it "It", with a slight description of what it's doing/the effects it has.

For the case of this story, why not just call it "The Virus", "The Bug", "The png". I'm sure there's other things wrong with the story, but I don't want to read it cause I've found two problems in a four paragraph quote. That's without going through the clunky writing in that first paragraph.

The story is in a series about a creature called "The Piche" (which is pronounced "pike" but not spelled that way because??), which includes other stories with lines like:
In 1920, the blood stopped working again and the killing resumed in ferocity. A personal militia was created to enter the forest and kill the Piche. They were gone for three days. When only two of the fifteen emerged, they had aged a massive ten years and had eaten every ounce of food they had taken.

After this, a rule of thumb began: houses were built without windows and with steel doors that only opened from the inside. This way, the Piche could not see anyone to kill.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Namtab posted:

I already discussed the ending and it gets no better in context. I doubt any other entry in the series is any better either.

As I mentioned, the other stories at least bother to mention that its an evil creature that lives in some sort of woods everyone know is haunted but built a town next to anyway. It's essentially Slenderman except with a dumber name with a dumber spelling.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Namtab posted:

Only one piche story on that creepypasta blog and I can't be arsed to look for the rest.

http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2011/10/ichor.html
http://inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com/2011/10/perch-creek.html

There ya go.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Namtab posted:

Fanfiction.net apparantly made it so you can't copy and paste from it anymore, which is a pity cause it means that I now have to inspect elements and copy the text from source which is really loving inconvenient.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/righttoclick/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I read this ages ago so I don't know how accurate it actually is, but apparently the whole straight edge thing was started by underage kids; they aren't allowed to drink at shows so they ended up developing this whole thing about how the people who are drinking are ruining it for them. It's why they get the X tattoos on their hands - it comes from the X they'll usually put on your hand at the door to tell the bartenders that you aren't allowed to drink (so they don't have to check people's IDs at the bar).

It seems kind of ridiculous to claim that abstinence from drugs and alcohol is a lifestyle choice when the whole thing is based on not actually HAVING that choice, but then anyone who bases their identity around one very specific thing is crazy anyway.

Also where did you grow up that 15 year olds weren't exposed to sex, booze and drugs?

Straight edge started with the underage kids, but some of those kids were old enough to drink within less than a year of starting it, and their of-age buddies also joined in very quickly.

Incidentally, the time it started was also the time that many states had recently lowered drinking ages (in the mid to late 70s) and just as quickly were starting to raise them again. So who was even underage to drink was fluctuating rather rapidly at the time, especially by the mid-80s.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There's also that they mistakenly believe being deep is an important or rare trait in the first place. Plenty of things are deep without being any good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Little Blackfly posted:

Having a negative opinion of an anime is only a little bit better than having a positive one.

In seriousness though it ended up being made by a creepy dude who has a tvtropes-level understanding of what being a deconstruction is, which has a lot to do with why tvtropes types in particualr hype it up over being so deep deconstruction art.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

How do you pronounce Touhou actually, I say it in my head like two-who.
The same way you'd say the first syllable in Tokyo, except the second one with an h instead of a t.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This is so goddamn contrived. What brony ever gave half a poo poo about the original cartoon? Who are these "male characters" apart from, what, the dragon kid? Why the rapturous incredulity toward winged unicorns? It's so obvious that whoever wrote this was just pulling retroactive hype for the show out of his rear end so he could pretend that there was anything behind the bronies' genesis besides "4chan's ~ironic~ creepy kids' show affections needed to go somewhere new after LazyTown ended." (I'm guessing that the involvement of one of Cartoon Network's bigger names is what gave it that first push into the realm of hideous, misplaced sincerity.)

LazyTown's still running, my young cousins love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah the dude was able to mostly unify Japan on the basis of being the meanest most violent man around in a time of mean and violent men.

• Locked thread