Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
How's that? He's done some all right work I've thought, but he's definitely not as great as the internet has made him think he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
All the Fetish Fuel stuff is gone, or at least shuttled onto another wiki.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want this book to become a massive bestseller hit, alongside such timeless classics as the Inheritance Cycle.

50 Shades made it, so I guess anything can happen in the current publishing market.

He'd actually have to have some idea of how to market a book though, and overall not be a worthless, gibbering pile of fat.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
People will read any loving thing these days. I'm pretty sure the walking insult to David Bowie hasn't actually written anything other than what he's posted on the TVT forums though.

Edit: Okay, who added the bit at the end?

quote:

In the year 2472, open war has begun between the forces of the Starlight Alliance and the Preyaran Daemonyte. As battles in space and on land erupt, the Cold War of the past centuries boils over in a grand struggle to end the Endless Conflict once and for all.

Or so the sides hope.

Endless Conflict tells the story of Mathias "Mat" Watkins, Tenchi Yamanaka, and a young Terran named Daniel as they live and fight the final phase of the eponymous conflict to whatever conclusion it may bring. Spanning a planned trilogy, the series begins where it all begins early on for the characters, exploring who they are and why they are that way but then thrusts them straight into the action as the universe drags them straight into the conflict and continues on from there.

The series is notable for its Deconstruction of the Space Marine and traditional futuristic military sci while set in a grand Space Opera. Tactics are examined, personalities exposed, and even the lines between sides grows blurred as the story unfolds. Additionally, nothing major about the series is planned and created ahead of time because the author hates outlining though connecting the major events is largely done on improvisation or freewriting.

A labor several years in the making from a design standpoint, and as of yet still far from finished, Endless Conflict strives to be the best it can be or die trying. If I ever get it finished and/or published that is...

This series also is known for being poorly written and eternally unfinished.

(Appropriately, the last sentence links to something called Trope Overdosed, which seems to be when tropers have shoehorned a fuckload of tropes into something.)

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 3, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

made of bees posted:

I forget, was Major Tom also the fascist who really, really wanted to bomb Iran, and talked about how he much he wanted to beat up trans people?

I think that was Barkey? It's a little hard to tell tropers apart sometimes.

I also remember someone repeatedly turned Major Tom's page into a Space Oddity edit. The page is now locked so only he can edit it.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That was a rename, the trope used to be You Fail Biology Forever. Now why they didn't just keep that name for that specific example to make it not sound even dumber, I don't know. Tropers are worthless people.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

TGLT posted:

Maybe? I don't know why it needs to be "justified", but okay. I guess it's not about being coffee but about being a culturally significant drink, then? Does that make tea "uncoffee" or is coffee "untea"?

The whole "justified trope" thing is weird, their page on it says it's when the use of a given trope is actually required in the story or is the logical consequence of something else that happened in it, but for a community that's all about listing every single goddamn thing that happens in a work no matter how minor, they're oddly defensive at times about admitting works they like have a trope in them. A bit of self-awareness of the fact trope is really just a nicer way to say cliche, maybe?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
See, there's nothing wrong with that and I think it's actually an important part of the process in its own right. The bad thing comes when you have a situation like tropers (and a lot of people trying to do fantasy, honestly) get stuck in, when it becomes all about the worldbuilding and they never do any actual writing either due to losing interest/forgetting the story's about the characters and not the setting, or getting too caught up in every little detail having to be just right.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People basically read that Tolkien built an amazing world without pausing to learn that Tolkien is complete goddamn accident.

(More stuff along that line)

"Tolkien is a bad writer who only turned out anything good completely by accident" is a pretty big claim, why do you think that's the case?

And to avoid a derail, a lot of good writing advice boils down to "just loving write" because if you never actually do any writing not only will nothing get done, you'll never learn or improve the craft. Tropers need that hammered into them.

Or maybe not, given we've seen what happens when they do just loving write.

Edit: And then I see a metaphorical video is edited in while I was posting. Darn.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm work posting in between working on an inventory issue so I may have been unclear. I agree that these ideas end up positive, but if it was a troper explaining their story, we would all mock those ideas. Divorced from the whole they seem really unwise if not straight up wrong.

Sure, on paper, phrased like that, it doesn't sound great at all, but in the case of something actually written and not a troper work, execution is what carries the day, not just the raw elements of what happens. If someone is capable of taking all that and turning it into something that actually works, I don't think you can say they're a bad writer/not a "real" writer, because a horrible writer wouldn't've managed that at all. I think this line of talk actually illustrates one of the problems we keep bringing up with TV Tropes, which is that their site pretty much butchers the works they talk about (when they talk about any work actually worth talking about at least) by completely divorcing the nitty gritty from the stuff that makes them actually work.

I can't really disagree that the pacing at the start was kind of terrible, though.

Edit: Goddamn it, I post too slow.

(Also, to be really nitpicky, the Bombadil/Barrow Downs stuff was actually really important. The latter moreso than the former, but still.)

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 15, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Kalos posted:

After hearing that Portal 2 was intentionally written to avoid spawning memes

Funny how that turned out, since some people still haven't shut up about space.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Standin? Ripoff? Insert?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

my dad posted:

And a parody of a certain right-leaning British government. The biggest, baddest Ork in the galaxy is Margaret Thatcher (Ghazkull Mag Uruk Thraka)

Bloody hell, somehow I didn't even notice that despite knowing the orks are basically football hooligans. I suppose there's consolation to be found in the fact 40K being hugely satirical in a lot of places is lost on a lot of people, especially tropers.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Jay O posted:

Can't wait for the lines "Ran is just Ran, isn't she?" and "That is something I can never forgive!" :eng99:

Ran wouldn't die even if you killed her!

(How do tropers do it? I typed that sentence and instantly felt dirty.)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
At that point it seems like writing the book isn't the point of the exercise at all, to them, so much as just getting the tacky "won NaNo" badge. NaNo itself seems to have been corrupted that way by a lot of people.

Edit: Do you still win if you hit 50K but aren't done? Or turn out a complete novel that's shy of 50K because that's longer than the story needed to be? Though much less than that wordcount is a pretty short book unless I'm screwing up my page estimates.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 27, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Well most of the states where Republicans have a deathgrip are the poorest shitholes in the country, if I recall, so while ironic as hell (and definitely people voting against their own interests) it's hardly a surprise. Besides, this is the worthless fuckup who wants to kill everything not American and thinks Russia will invade through Alaska any minute now.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Tropers loving love CthulhuTech because they think it's grimdark and extreme, it's probably the rape camps with them.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Srice posted:

In one of his books Piers Anthony had a character tell a story about how a man's life was ruined because he was seduced by an 8 year old girl and just had to act on his urges and how society is so unjust for punishing the man.

In other words, what tropers think Lolita is about? Piers Anthony actually wrote that sort of thing.

I'm surprised they're not more enthusiastic about him, given he's apparently a literal paedophile. Finally, an author just like them!

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Authors seem to be dropping like flies lately, hopefully Piers Anthony's turn is coming up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's always seemed to mean "guy who is a sarcastic rear end in a top hat to everybody at all times", aka a Joss Whedon character, and it struck me as odd they'd idolise that kind of person so much. But all I really needed to say to explain it was "Joss Whedon" I guess.

Edit: Having checked, they define Deadpan Snarker as just someone who makes sarcastic remarks. That seems overly broad to the point of uselessness.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 3, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

JackMackerel posted:

Fast Eddie and several hangers-on (I'm too kind to say dicksucks) throw bitchfits whenever an article copies whatever it's about, like that.

I think that was actually a rare instance of tropers noting when something had been thoroughly run into the ground. For a while, "self demonstrating articles" were a thing, but it got to the point where everything on the site was like that and the community got sick of it. I could be remembering wrong though.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

That's... a lot of rape talk there. Yikes.

I dunno, he's speaking against some pretty problematic treatments of rape that actually are common in media, so by troper standards it's not so bad.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
SCP kinda does that, but they post a lot of regular stories on their site too and it's not really one overall narrative told entirely through wiki pages, more a setting.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thing is, if the page is suddenly deleted or stripped down, then the tropers freak out over the sudden change. Then they cry to the moderators, who will probably restore the page and/or ban the person responsible for the edit. And then defend their right to have the page, as if stalking a person online was socially acceptable.

Yeah, tropers are pretty adamant about not letting anything be taken off their site. I've seen a community that once tried to revamp their TV Tropes presence/remove it entirely, and for the effort most of the changes got reverted and a couple members got banned from the site for "vandalism". I've always been a little amused how they actively resist trying to make their site less creepy and stupid.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 12, 2013

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What evidence is there for Harmon/Abed?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So far Google's turned up nothing on the subject except TVT's actual Jim Butcher pages, but I've heard the books are really... troper-y for lack of a better word? Plus they practically worship his stuff so I wouldn't be surprised.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

This is just loving lazy. "Bloo bloo bloo, ethical implications aren't fun to write about, I just want wacky pseudoscience, a bloo" wants to make me punch this guy.

Even worse, hasn't this been done a shitton of times even in the few media tropers actually like and pay attention to? Plus the whole "life is good at the cost of X individuals having it lovely" is downright cliché, even if you're a troper and pretend "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas" doesn't exist.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Pretty sure they actually do have a worldbuilding forum in which they're building a fantasy world by committee, too. I imagine it isn't going well.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Venusian Weasel posted:

If the planet is tidally locked with one side having permanent day and the other having permanent night...

Is that even a thing that can happen? I'd have thought the rotation of the planet would mess with that.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I like to think he got scared off when people vandalised his page over and over until it got perma-locked, including a few instances of the entire works of Shakespeare being pasted onto it. Like any good cockroach, though, he's probably still creeping around.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think it honestly comes down to tropers trying too hard to make their stuff come off as witty or memorable, it's a common mistake for inexperienced writers, as is having your characters just plain never shut up. Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Testekill posted:

... I just checked it out and it sounds no more screechier then usual.

He's already an insufferably screechy manchild, so that's not saying much.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

99% of the "nightmare fuel" pages are things that might freak out a small child, but are written by grown rear end men (let's not kid ourselves about TVT demographics here), often for shows that were not around when they were actually children, so they don't even have the "this totally used to freak me out when I was five" defense.

I could be misremembering, but I think that was originally the point of the pages? "Nightmare Fuel" itself was a term they used to use for stuff in children's shows and whatnot that would probably freak the target audience the hell out. Doesn't excuse them calling literally everything Nightmare Fuel, but still.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Well, that and it's yet more brony poo poo on an internet where brony poo poo is shoehorned into literally everything.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's even dumber than that. When Google yanked the site's ads for all their rapey content and generally for the fact tropers are worthless wastes of oxygen who should stop taking up resources the rest of us could use, Fast Eddie tried to get them back by just literally changing the names of/deleting any article with the word "Rape" in the title. No content changes, just taking out the literal word rape.

Naturally, you can guess what happened to pages about things like the Grapes of Wrath.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Zerilan posted:

This reminds me of the old woman admin on tvtropes (I forget the name)

Madrugada. She also compared child molestation to stealing somebody's shoes I think.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I can't help being reminded of that one bit in Adaptation, where the guy is giving a lecture to film students or something (?) and goes, "Nothing interesting happens in real life? Are you out of your loving mind?"

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Pretty sure she's not around any more. But yeah, she was pretty emblematic of the whole Troper thing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I dunno, if he desperately wants to be Jake Sully wouldn't that be more of a "the white man is the real savage" + condescending "noble savage/not-white-people" thing he's got going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

Whatever it is its still not "crap past the radar" because ratings people aren't loving morons and any joke that writers put into a cartoon for adults watching it (as many do, because hey, people watch poo poo with their kids sometimes) is not proof that its actually hardcore.

Its been brought up before, but for a bunch of people who claim to be challenging gender roles by being loving obsessed with a cartoon for eight year old girls, bronies seem to be in a massive hurry to claim that its super manly and hardcore and dark and not for little girls at all.

They're desperate for a way to prove they aren't paedophiles.

• Locked thread