Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I wasn't planning on posting more from their Analysis tabs because I already made my point, but then I stumbled across... this thing:

:stonk:

At... at least they talk about consent? That's something, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DStecks posted:

What the gently caress. What the gently caress. What the gently caress has to be wrong with you to make you write this?

You know, people don't write that sort of poo poo unless they secretly want it to be true.

So gently caress him. gently caress him, and everyone like him. I legitimately think that the world would be a better place if he was hit by a loving car, that is, assuming he ventures outside of his loving mancave.

Jesus Christ almighty. I used to actually like that fanfic of his, very glad I stopped reading it a year or so ago, my lord.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LaughMyselfTo posted:

I'm on your side, but I take offense to this sentiment as a writer. This only really applies to the trope school of writing, where wish fulfillment is a thing to aspire to.

Well, sorry, obviously I don't mean that sentiment universally.

In context though? On TV tropes? I'm unconvinced.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

WickedHate posted:

That reminds me of Misfile. It's been so long since I read it I can't remember if it was terrible or not.

Misfile is surprisingly good, actually. At least on the trans related things, at any rate. Nothing seems done for obvious sex appeal, unlike that weird-rear end x-man thing with the weird name that I'm not even gonna try and spell.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Thwack! posted:

Here's what TVTropes thinks about this really sad and definitely not funny comic about an abused child.

I can't even get through this whole comic without feeling really awful and sad, and this poor excuse for a human being finds this 'sickeningly funny'? Go gently caress yourself TvTropes.

You know, there aren't many people in this world who I'd like to see dead. I like to think I'm not a cruel person or some random internet tough girl or anything like that.

I want the person who said this to die in a loving fire.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I think my younger brother used to play Dragonfable when he was 12-ish. I vaguely recall it as being this really generic, juvenile JRPG kind of deal. Lots of half-assed anime drawings. Aside from literal children, weird troper types are probably its biggest audience.

I used to play that game. It was poo poo.

in fairness to me, I was also around 7 at the time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Reminder that Project Horizons is fanfic based off of My Little Pony/Fallout 3 fanfic. Also it's full of rape and pissing and making GBS threads with a lot more rape on the top. I know this because a sample was posted in an earlier TV Tropes thread and I will never ever be able to forget what it contained.

Please tell me you have a link to this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Joshlemagne posted:

"Man all this sex I'm having is costing me a fortune in condoms. I better switch to abstinence." -a thing no human being has ever said in all of human history.

Well, I've heard variations on that but usually people just grab the free condoms everyone give out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Are... are we meant to side with focus on the family here?

Because gently caress I'd join a Crooked Rainbow organization in a heartbeat.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

made of bees posted:

If I remember correctly, this same guy has been saying "we must invade Iran NOW because they're going to nuke Israel/they're going to blockade the gulf of Hormuz and wreck the world economy/they won't stop being muslim" for years now. Which I guess doesn't make him different from any rear end in a top hat right-winger. But still, it's pretty disturbing to read.

Does this idiot not know what the fifth fleet exists for?

made of bees posted:

Yeah, I get why it's such a popular scenario, but even starting with the premise of the Nazis winning the war means you've pretty much abandoned any attempt at realism, so you might as well just do whatever you want with it. On that note, an "alt history" story I really liked is the novela Thor Meets Captain America, which is not a Marvel comic, but a response to a challenge to write the most realistic scenario in which the Nazis win. How do they do it? They summon the Norse gods to fight the war for them by using the Holocaust as mass human sacrifice.

Well that's not a sentence I ever expected to read in my life.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I am the M00N posted:

I used to be a huge fan of 40k. Eventually though, after reading about 12 books, I got tired of it. I realized that everything in it is only there to look cool, and nothing else. If you try to take it seriously you have to ignore all the silly poo poo it has just so it can be manlier.

Makes for great paintings though, even if they all just look like metal-album covers.

I mean it can be pretty fun, but let`s not pretend it`s anything but poor to mediocre dark sci-fi.

I think that's the thing tropers don't get actually. You can enjoy something that's still not actually very good. It's quite possible! I enjoy all sorts of things that aren't actually very good in terms of books or movies or video games or whatever. I still enjoy them, I just don't pretend that they're quality, and I don't get why they have such a chip on their shoulder about it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

No such thing as notability: your cheap tie-in novels are just as important to literature as the works they stole from!

(I still like some 40K novels, like Gaunt's Ghosts. Even if it is ripping off Sharpe)

I'm very much okay with people ripping off of Sharpe because Sharpe is awesome.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Incoherence posted:

Tropers may not read literature, but do you know what tropers love? Video games with derivative fantasy settings. My current Steam backlog game is Dragon Age: Origins, whose TvTropes page has a couple dozen subpages totaling 240,000 words. Roughly half of those words are on two (they split it in half because it got too big) Headscratchers pages, which appear to be gigantic arguments about minutiae of video game lore.

For comparison, this is half as many words as the entire text of The Lord of the Rings.

My eyes skipped over a 0 there and I still thought that was insane.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Ugh, that crap belongs in arrogant, dickish, literature classes. Where they make you read boring crap like Shakespeare (ew!) and refuse to recognise the genius of Animorphs.

In fairness, Michael Grant is basically a troper himself, right down to being a shithead about suicide.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

MinistryofLard posted:

The alarming bit is that it happens so regularly. Like, "Her kids get hit with alarming regularity," means that her kids get hit so often that its alarming.

Tropers overuse it because tropers overuse everything, but its a valid phrase.

Content:

Some guy posted a thread in worldbuilding about a 'Genre-Savvy Empire'. I can't be assed reading the whole thing, but on the whole its not a completely awful setting for a story (provided the writer has an actual story in mind for this rather than just masturbating to his 'genre savvy Empire.' I can dream.).

The first comment though?

I continue to be amazed that people look at the Evil Overlord List and, rather than chuckling and saying "Ha hah, movie villains do do that a lot, yeah." thinks "This is good writing material!"

How do you write a story crappy genre fiction if the villain makes literally no mistakes, ever?

Sooooo you could say tropers use "alarming regularity" with alarming regularity?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Namtab posted:

E: Seems like this also relates to GBLT issues that I'm not really at all qualified to speak about (and in some cases, don't really understand). People should just try not to judge people based on concepts like this imo.

I feel like this is just a good, general rule tbh. Judge people for who they are, not what they are.

With the exception of bronies and furries, but that's okay they're nto real people anyway.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I thought it was a misspelling of rappers...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

Oh please tell me there's a trope page for Malatora! :allears:

Do I want to know what Malatora is?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Bromide and TV Tropes deserve one another. What a crazy loving psycho.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Seriously what the gently caress did I just skim over.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

E: whoops

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

:lol: drunk scriblerian is one of the "god-tier writers" who hangs out on that forum :lol:

Hahahaha oh god that's amazing and awful all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Squidster posted:

The movie adaptation for this is fantastic, and one of the most existentially lonely movies I've ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOpfpYijHA

Actually legitimately an amazing movie.

• Locked thread