Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
A "reference to steroid use and a certain one of its side effects"? What are they even talking about here? The example they give sounds like a standard weightlifter-physique caricature.

E: vvv shows how much I know about steroids and penises, then. It's still stupid.

Tardigrade fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

At least, if she's covering her chest, it disproves :cry:"crotchboobs":cry:, right? Right?

It's telling that the Getting Crap Past the Radar page with the most sub-headings is Western Animation (my kids' show is totally serious and edgy, for real!). But I had to look under Other, and lo and behold, in the Textbooks section...

quote:

In the Campbell/Reese (6th Edition) Biology textbook, it describes a particular type of breeding, technically referred to as semelparity, from Latin roots. However, the first and easier to remember name it...big-bang reproduction.

How desperate do you have to be?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

If Orwell did say this then Thomas Pynchon sure messed up when he wrote his foreward to 1984 a few years back.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a troper obsessively cataloguing the incestuous sex lives of preteens, forever.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Looks like they already have a full, detailed write-up of Twitch Plays Pokemon, which includes a long "characters" entry. Look at this marvel of analysis.

Characters: Helix Fossil posted:

Put on a Bus:
The Helix Fossil was stored in the PC.
--- The Bus Came Back: It was retrieved from the PC.

Truly the deep characterization we have come to expect from a Pokemon game controlled by thousands of people.

Dead Growlithe Girl posted:

"My Growlithe... Why did you die?"
Mourning girl seeks consolation through Red.
Death Is a Sad Thing: She cries for her lost Growlithe.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

The notation in those things makes my head hurt. Why Admiral!Ford Cruller? Why not simply Admiral Ford Cruller?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Install Windows posted:

نعم ما في وسعهم

Eh, close enough (Google Translate gives it as "yes they can" but it's more like "yes what is in their capabilities").

Apple Tree posted:

I do remember noticing it last time I watched Fantasia. It sort of is a big deal - only not because 'OMG BOOBS!', but in the sense that any really good artistic decision is a big deal. That whole sequence is wild and aggressive and full of imagination and it really doesn't pull any punches, especially considering it's family viewing. (I have a vivid memory of hiding under the cinema seat when I was a child.) The fact that the harpy is naked and her body isn't smoothed over like a Barbie doll has a kind of shock value, especially since she's just a brief glimpse like a screamer; it gives it a kind of rawness that adds to the horror.

But then the whole piece is full of smart, shocking decisions like that. You could probably spend paragraphs talking about every shot. Focusing in on the norks is a bit ... well, TVTropes.

Surprised they didn't go on at length about the topless centaurettes or the animal transformation or the "furries" or whatever else they latched onto. The Fantasia page itself is comparatively not that bad.

TVTropes posted:

Getting Crap Past the Radar: See Explosive Breeder in the Fantasia 2000 section. And in the "Night On Bald Mountain" sequence, naked women can be seen several times — most blatantly in the form of three flickering flames. Of course, they're so artfully drawn that no actual naughty bits can be discerned, but it's the thought that counts.
The harpies that start flying around not long before the Church bells start chiming have nipples, and fly right towards the camera.

Naked women! Nipples!

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

How the gently caress does a character get decapitated 13 times? Is she a mythical hydra?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

You might be thinking of The Wotch.

Or El Goonish Shive, the archive dump of which on the Bad Webcomics thread stopped because it was so drat boring.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

a nontrivial percentage of the population locks themselves away to masturbate to anime until they die and their families pretend they don't exist

A good friend of mine (who I otherwise deeply respect) once explained that those are brave unsung heroes for breaking out of the toxic traditionalist workaholic culture of Japan. Everything will have its defenders.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

The Hogwarts Castle/giant squid sex has to be a parody. Even if not, I still laughed.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

While breaking my scroll-thumb trying to flick past page 150, I noticed the recurring reference to the Ahuizotl, an Aztec mythological creature. The page's history is a mildly amusing tale of bronies inserting a Pop Culture section and then getting it deleted. Over and over again.

quote:

There is absolutely NO POINT in deleting that.

quote:

"In Pop Culture" sections are discouraged per WP:POPCULTURE (you cretin)

At least Wikipedia has some degree of quality control. :unsmith:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Zemyla posted:

I looked at http://galtse.cx/ for John Galt's speech. That wound up being about 33,000 words.

So yeah, that pony stuff is about four and a quarter Galt speeches.

A good candidate for tropese.cx.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Bear Sleuth posted:

Why is this a quotable line? Why would anyone every quote this at all?

Presumably they figured that "Out, damned spot" is quotable, and ran with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Grizzwold posted:

I like how whoever made the map couldn't be assed to make sure everything was colored in. Apparently Kuwait is the only surviving nation in the Middle East.

The rest are all "quarantined badlands" because the Middle East is all desert anyway, why even bother writing about the people there? No catgirls, no interest :fap:

• Locked thread