Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Nothing makes a character more relatable and likable than seeing them encourage someone to discuss their hobbies, and then proceeding to mock and belittle those hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

That Simpsons one is absolutely brilliant. These people really don't understand ... anything. They don't get jokes, but they also can't think beyond beep boop trope.

quote:

rednessamon: I agree with you completely. Yes, Bart ruined the centerpiece Lisa made, but Marge should've at least explained what he should apologize for. And claiming that an entire holiday is ruined, just for a burned-up centerpiece? No wonder Bart ran away. That particular episode is always hard to watch.
Ah yes, all that happened was Lisa's hardwork was destroyed because of childish attention seeking. It was just paper mache anyway. Why ever would that ruin a day? Also apparently tropers struggle with context clues and stringing occurrences together. "Explain what should apologise for."
I realise asking for tropers to understand basic character emotion and motivation is asking for a lot.

quote:

In "I Married Marge", after Homer gives a rather stirring speech about his 3 kids and how he loves them, I actually felt touched. However, it just got flat-out obliterated by the next sentence! When Marge returns from her pregnancy test, she happily reveals that she is not pregnant, and she and Homer high-five, thus saying "gently caress you" to the kids he was "blessed" with! Jerkasses much?
What is setting up expectation and then following through with punchline. Please explain.

Seriously, how do you watch early Simpsons and be so unable to grasp when a joke was made and why.
This is just from the first segment. :allears:

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I decided to have a look at the leper colony and... uh...

Oh for gently caress's sake, the last panel also has it pissing itself.
:cry:

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

It all comes back to Tropers having no real knowledge of how to absorb and analyse media.
This is why we get Tropers falling over themselves to point out piddling little non-circumstances like that, while being unable to consider what it all meant or wouldn't have meant for the narrative. It's also why all they know in regards to things like genre is "this genre is steampunk because cogs".

Going for the most tedious and dull take of "well, no one got struck by a bullet during the desperate chase scene until the very end which, i think you will find, is pretty unlikely" is the only thing you can do when you don't actually know poo poo about even basic media analysis.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

vaguely posted:

If you die as an author, you die in real life? :ohdear:

Also, you won't finish your work and people will be kind of inconvenienced by that.

Dick.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

Which explains the existence of the "trope" What An Idiot.

Gee, Peter Griffin did something stupid and against audience expectation? Multiple times, even?!

So many examples come down to:
Thing happens.
You'd expect this thing to happen.
Instead other thing happens that makes sense to character doing said thing.

So lucky we have these Tropers here to categorise all this stuff. Would hate to make the mistake of having an arrogant character behave in arrogance. That might come off as vaguely stupid.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I think it says that all AU fanfics that involve some characters logically must necessarily always definitely obviously have them be conceived by rape? I don't know, I can barely read this and I think trying to parse it is giving me brain damage.

Tropers really can't imagine a fiction without rape, can they?

A lot of people like to write AU fanfic.
Okay, sure.

This implies the situation of their birth is normal, instead of time-paradox.
Alright, still with you.

Therefore, rape.
:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Slime posted:

Aliens call it that, and they make a big show of telling everyone how HUMANS DON'T UNDERSTAND and everything but it becomes apparent that it's basically just regular old BFFs. The aliens use the word 'romance' for relationships in general, whether actually romantic or just friendly.

As usual, tropers don't get it even when it's thrown in their face.

Not just tropers who don't get it. Tumblr really took the quadrant joke at face value to the point where you see in-fighting amongst shippers because someone else is placing a pair 'in the wrong quadrant'. :allears: It's fascinating.

• Locked thread