Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
TVTropes: Dostoevsky is proto-anime writing at its best!

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

So I guess that would make them more expensive by unit than a pack of cigarettes? Could this Dozerfleet person be right?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

It would, due to technicalities in law in other states, also render those states' laws against the diabolical practice effectively null.

Hahahaha great understanding of constitutional law there, guy!

edit:

Geokinesis posted:

Hahaha, he puts Tvtropes and Freep to shame at the same time.

That's perfect.

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 9, 2013

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Well *I* have read all of the Dresden Files books and while they are enjoyable, they are goony as hell. You definitely get the sense that Harry has a character class (white wizard), and that he levels up after every book. The thing is, Butcher is a somewhat competent writer, so he never writes about Harry's hit points or him running out of mana, or anything stupid like that. Because of how Butcher plots things out I definitely get the sense that he at least partly conceives of things as part of an RPG campaign, but he at least knows that books and games have different conventions and aren't the same thing.

Also I'm pretty sure Harry is supposed to come across as a cool as hell, hardboiled detective hero but I don't think Butcher achieved that for non-Troper readers.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah Butcher is looking much less goony these days with short hair but he still wears ill fitting pants and t-shirts with stupid "clever" sayings/jokes on them.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

What happened to Deboss? He was one of the funniest tropers.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Lord, I hope he never picks up Blood Meridian. That was one of the best books I've ever read, but "entertaining distraction" it was not.

I dunno man, there is plenty of awesome violence in Blood Meridian. If you're looking for a McCarthy book that tropers can misinterpret to be about awesome badasses doing wicked cool poo poo, Blood Meridian is probably it.

Also, hahahaha, I looked at his page and look what I found!

quote:

Beige Prose: Often used. However, he also often uses words that people who aced the SATs would have to look up. It all depends on the book.

Yes, this is how I would describe the prose of Cormac McCarthy, very dull and boring.

Tellingly, there are no pages for any of his novels that have not been made into movies.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Morkyz posted:

Friendship Is Optimal, in which an AI pony takes over the world

Written by Eliezer Yudkowsi?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

how can sex for pleasure be a threat to the power hunger of the Party?

This is explicitly spelled out in 1984. Like, not implied or something that the reader has to infer. Here is what O'Brien says to Winston.

quote:

We shall abolish the orgasm. Our neurologists are at work upon it now. There will be no loyalty, except loyalty towards the Party. There will be no love, except the love of Big Brother. There will be no laughter, except the laugh of triumph over a defeated enemy. There will be no art, no literature, no science. There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed.

How the gently caress can you miss the point?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Sel Nar posted:

gently caress Tropers.

hahaha no it isn't! Here's the text if anyone else is curious. I guess "Palla. Pal La." is sort of close to "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta" but not really? And Lolita is about a child molester and that Skyrim thing is about a heroic woman who fought a monster?? Jesus Christ.

That really is perfect troping though: recognize an extremely shallow similarity between two things and exclaim "deconstruction! corruption! I have read the first pages of Lolita and have clocked 400 hours in Skyrim, two things of similar quality. Behold my good taste."

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

I'd like a fic of an Equestria a hundred years after the disappearances of the pony princesses. Rampant industrialization has taken hold, though no pony really knows why or likes it. Most ponies don't get their cutie marks. Those that do at special, approved academies in Canterlot, become the Marked, who are privileged over Blanks. Better to be Blank than Branded; those whose cutie marks had to be removed due to disloyalty. King Blueblood III reigns over the Kingdom, though it's a good question as to who really runs things, he or the corporations determined to place employees into corporate serfdom. Most unmarked pegasi can't fly anymore, most unmarked unicorns can't do magic; in fact there are school books that question if its even possible, or even if it was EVER possible. Earth ponies live far away from nature, wondering what that empty hole is inside them. Equestria hurts, and it doesn't even know the source of its pain.

Then two sisters, who love each other far more literally than any could understand or approve, stumble on the path when one of them finds herself Marked. Unauthorized. Unsanctioned. Destined for a Brand. Unless her sister can find a way to make it right again. But what can one lowly prostitute do in a world such as this?

Anything she can...

Is he seriously outlining a story but asking someone else to write it for him? :psyduck:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

TVTropes is an overly puritanical website that does not allow us to list all the good times where rape is played broadly, for laughs. I think they should change the trope name back, to more accurately allow the most important project of listing examples.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

What is Kink Meme? I want to google it but I'm at work...

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

"Very good at empathy" is really loving funny. Empathy isn't a skillset you dweeb it's a character trait! Also, all the "age: unknown" and "motivation: [redacted]" stuff reads like character descriptions on the back of action figure packaging. So mysterious!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Has he published any more chapters? That was the best story.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I am genuinely surprised at the tone of that politics thread.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I told my brother a joke last night and he smiled at me, does he secretly want to practice gay incest?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Found the thread. Major Tom was there, but didn't actually say all that much; the main person arguing with Martello was a troper I don't recognize called Exelixi, who felt that swords were superior to guns and had only fallen out of fashion because of "logistics".

Didn't they have this argument in It's Always Sunny?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

You know what would make the gym better? If everyone was made to listen to Dragonforce at ear splitting volume!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for not using anime examples, thank you for making it be something that 90s kids can get.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Haha no it's cool, I actually was worried that your explanation would be unreadable anime garbage because so much of TVTropes is unreadable anime garbage, but fortunately all your examples were of childrens shows I used to watch as a child, in the 90s. I can't same I'm glad that I read it, but nonethless thank you for writing a clear explanation v:shobon:v

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Who is even making these horrible video games

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I cannot imagine a random third party could read all, or most, or some, or even a little bit of that (and I read it all :gonk: ) and come away thinking "hmm yes I think The Nostalgia Critic would be a good thing to watch.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Considering the works the directors have previously worked on, this was more than likely intentional

Take note, goons: this is how you construct a sentence.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Bwaune sounds like a 4 year old with a speech impediment trying to say Brown. Spooky!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Erotic Redwall fiction, my childhood waaa :gonk:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

What is Fanon? Surely they can't mean Frantz Fanon...

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Of all the things I wish I hadn't learned from TVTropes I wish I hadn't learned that the most.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

But half the Weasley family is named after Arthurian characters, so Ginny should have been obvious!

You are expecting tropers to be knowledgeable of anything that isn't anime, children's cartoons, or young adult fiction.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress do tropers even mean by character development? That Madoka anime review leaves me with some questions.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I'm curious, is there any overlap between LessWrong and those Dark Enlightenment psychos?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Behemoth — Nergal is choleric; Inferno is melancholic; Orion is phlegmatic; and Seth is sanguine. 

I don't know why I'm surprised at least one black metal fan reads TVT, but I guess I am.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Is Calvin an ephebophile? My thousand word post on the Calvin & Hobbes analysis page explores this thorny issue -- and so much more.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

There is a link to a scribd document of all the troper tales in the OP.

Didn't a goon try reading the Methods of Rationality in one of the last threads?

Also, what constitutes a well-filled set of panties? On second thought, maybe it's best if that goes unanswered...

VVVVV I would read a LW thread for sure

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 19, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

graybook posted:

I wonder if I should be worried that a close friend of mine has submitted a piece of fan-work to MoR. I think hearing of his "accomplishment" was the first time I had encountered MoR entirely, and after reading what y'all have had to say about it, his liking that work seems... problematic.

Sever.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Lunatics key posted:

Keep in mind, they were popular among children,

This kind of aside is distressingly common in any sort of "look what they slipped into my cartons!!!!" discussion and it's horrible. It's bad enough they have to list all the times Hannah Montana was actually about that fetish about having to hold your piss for a long time or whatever, buy why do they also then have to remind the reader that this media is also aimed at kids. Ugh.

I guess I answered my own question!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

It actually makes less sense to me that Linkara is an actual person and not an anime.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

can you please elaborate on the bad political opinions of a person who reviews comics (?) and anime (?) and also becomes an anime sometimes? I think you can mention that he has them but only if you also mention what they are.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

Little Blackfly posted:

John Milton Class.

I know, he probably meant and eng lit class that focused on John Milton one time, but still. Makes me doubt his story.

I took an undergraduate class on Milton. I don't think tvtropes would have been welcome in class discussion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

This is how I am about champagne bottles

• Locked thread