Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
What does "nakama" actually mean? Google was so littered with crap that it left me more confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Riddley Walker is pretty smart about creating a future language.

Circumcision is 100% patriarchy; it's generally done because of either Judaism, Islam, or 19th century US ideas about "social hygiene" (as an anti-masturbation and anti-STI measure). Women didn't play a big role in creating any of those philosophies, particularly as they relate to genitalia.

And thanks, everyone, for the "nakama" information!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Did anyone go through and mock The Whately Universe? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/WhateleyUniverse?from=Main.WhateleyUniverse
I'm pretty sure it's incomprehensible forum roleplaying, and it used to be spammed on every trope page.

Dunwich is in Massachusetts. :colbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Ignoring the obvious crazy because I'm assuming she's making poo poo up to seem edgy and dangerous, here's a loving mystery for the ages.

She's so bravely asexual that the mere existence of sexual attractions is an enigma to her. Best Asexual Ever.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

These people are 50% accurate in their "BrilliantButLazy" self-assessment.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Vaginapocalypse posted:

^^

After looking at the concentrated insanity of the "Dozerfleet founder" and his great works, the typical troper hogwash is sorta bland to my over stimulated tastebuds.

"The Dozerfleet founder" is so compelling. I feel bad for him because his family are so hyperreligious in that creepy Bill Gothard vein, but I imagine he'd be an odd duck even without that.

Writing a huge wiki about yourself in the third person (mostly, every now and then he slips up) certainly takes commitment.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Sailor Viy posted:

Is there a place that his comics/novels can actually be read? I spent ages looking through the wiki trying to find a link to them. It would be amazing if these narratives only existed in the form of wiki synopses.

Here's some version of Ciem. It's written in fairly grammatical English, which I wasn't expecting.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

So I guess that would make them more expensive by unit than a pack of cigarettes? Could this Dozerfleet person be right?

He was in college at the time, where you can generally get boatloads of free condoms pretty much everywhere (health center, dean of students' office, LGBTQ club meetings, you name it).

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Robot Style posted:

Apparently not all of this guy's stuff exists only on wiki pages and his own imagination. He might be the only TVtroper to actually get something on TV.

Sadly, it was never actually aired because of a number of problems all attributable to people other than the Dozerfleet founder. This is discussed in some length in the year-by-year section.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

There was a story called WikiHistory was was written more as the comments section for a Wikipedia article about time travelers revising the page after they made updates.

The problem with using that kind of format directly is you wind up with a story with no characters, only concepts.

"WikiHistory" is so good that nobody else needs to do another.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

So, wait, at what point does everyone turn into office supplies? Is it before or after Planned Parenthood starts a plague in Japan? Also, given that this dude appears to be to the right of Genghis Khan, why is he making Jared Loughner a villain? These Chris-chan comparisons are pretty accurate, but Christ, Sonichu was at least loving comprehensible.

What's up with these guys and always wanting to make huge sprawling "universes/multiverses" to connect everything they make, anyway? I can only imagine it as a combination of delusions of grandeur and copycatting the stuff they consume, because the Star Wars EU has a lot to answer for.

He thinks Loughner was left-wing and maybe even following orders from Obama. No, of course that doesn't make sense.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I cannot get over this Dozerfleet thing. It's like Nabokov's Pale Fire in real life.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

No, we each had a Hitler and they all had their own drivers.

loving pampered suburbanites, we each had to bring our own Hilter from home. Some of the kids could only afford a Pol Pot and got teased.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

My guess, based on reading the interminable self-wiki, is that Evil Hair Maiden's "evil" is that she thought he was creepy as gently caress and asked her colleagues to cut his hair instead of her.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

My guess is "was professional and didn't flirt with him," based on the "utilitarian" comment, but I agree that it has to be some variation on "didn't give the Dozerfleet Founder enough attention." God knows dudes like this hate when service employees don't fawn over them.

In one of his "Important Things That Happened" year-by-year recaps, he alludes to a visit from the police relating to her.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

But he doesn't actually have that in real life (right? :ohdear:), so what could he possibly think this "conspiracy" is targeting? Is he actually deluded enough to believe that he does have a real, physical Dozerfleet at his disposal?

He explains this somewhere, maybe in the Dozerfleet Logo wiki page. Apparently, his computers are like the fleet of bulldozers in the story, so the logo is supposed to look like a cross between a computer and a bulldozer. Because just like the bulldozers that resisted the evil of collectivism, his computers resist the evil of people who don't understand his genius and Obama and evil gays and bitches who take out restraining orders on him,

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

The Dresden books are trashy fantasy in a similar way to Laurell K Hamilton's stuff, kind of fun to read if you don't want anything mentally taxing but you'd want to avoid the hardcore fans.

Let's not say things we can't take back. Butcher can be an idiot (giant parking lot at Wrigley Field?) but I've never seen the level of sloppiness in his stuff that is routine in Hamilton's last dozen books.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

e X posted:

You know, with some of the stuff you can at least guess where it comes from and how he came up with it, but how the hell did he come up with the Sadeans? The rest is just some really dumb bastardization of history, but all that Marquis de Sade stuff comes completely out of the left field, even for him.

This is the crazy poo poo that ultra-right ultra-Christian echo chambers put forth as truth. Ray Comfort's banana is not an isolated incident.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

I've heard he finally cut off his lion's mane, and is dressing better (at least in his book-jacket photos); would you say that's accurate?

He still looks like a nerdlord, just a better-groomed nerdlord.

Fantasy authors on the whole are not a stylish bunch.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Drogo posted:

Actual Writers can look as goony as they bloody well please (nothin' beats GRRM's shiny purple waistcoats and weird leather hats, though). It's one of the many perks of actually doing things instead of just deciding you're a Brilliant But Lazy tender misanthrope.

You say this because you have never worked in publishing. People dread having to deal with fantasy writers. Also romance writers, but for different reasons.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

"Sex? Isn't that just rubbing genitals together?"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

No, no, no. You got it all wrong.

Sex in which the partner isn't an underage Japanese girl, a fictional character, an inanimate object (that includes socks and body pillows), or themselves confuses and terrifies them.

Ladies are scary and incomprehensible, sex is scary and incomprehensible, therefore a lesbian scene is a horrifying Lovecraftian nightmare that obviously doesn't belong in a movie. :colbert:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

I fixed it. Please watch this amazing intro scene all the way through because I can't explain in words how badly he coded this loving game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEIdnGDV4k

poo poo, is it 1993 again?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Djeser posted:

TV Tropes asks the hard questions.

How do you know if you're a bad writer?

Those links link to 'cloned Che Guevara writes a journal'

Wait, is this the guy who's writing the dieselpunk thing where Che Guevara is black and Evita is married to the president of Honduras instead of Argentina? Because if it is, that chucklefuck's been working on his lovely story for six or seven years now.

And I have an answer for him: yes, you're a bad writer. You're a horrible writer. Find another loving hobby.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The F Plus NaNoWriMo episode almost killed me, it was so funny. And yet, the chucklefucks whose poo poo they read were not as self-importantly stupid as Troper NaNoWriMo.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Well that's not a sentence I ever expected to read in my life.

A variation on this theme appears in Ian Tregellis's Milkweed Trilogy (which is loving awesome), and everyone who likes crazy magic poo poo and cyborg mutants and alternate World War II should read the gently caress out of it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Why would you take an alias that is just as nonsensical as your actual stupid fantasy name?

Everyone knows that "Jesh Kualim" is a Rascala name, see? Whereas "Delth Hakiner" sounds so classy!

At this point in my life, I'm just glad not to see triple consonants or apostrophes in a science fiction name. "Luappp'b Q'ombliiz" is usually more the speed of these types.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

I love the implication here that they've spent more time drafting potential TV Tropes pages for their own works than working on their actual stories.

You've got to hand it to Dozerfleet guy, he at least generates actual product. Even though it's terrible videos about pens raping highlighters and bikes talking, he occasionally finishes a project.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Djeser posted:

Still waiting for the TV Tropes Writing Contest to post the submissions publicly, but while I wait, you might be interested in a podcast.

You guys remember the insane ur-Troper Dozerfleet from earlier in the thread? Well, fellow goon Improbable Lobster and someone else put together documents for The F Plus to read.

So, if you'd like to hear people being equally baffled by Stationery Warriors and the saga of Yo-Splatz! then this is the podcast episode for you.

Oh, cool. So glad someone did that!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The explanation I got from the print fanzine days of the 1990s is that it's factorial !, because some Kirk/Spock slasher who was doodling hearts instead of paying attention in math class thought that you could parse "Hitler Wins!Brady Bunch" as "Hitler having won World War II is a factor in this story about the Brady Bunch."

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorPresident posted:

Sure smells like transethnic over here.

e: either that, or white guy found out that his great great great grandfather was black and now thinks he is LeVar Burton.

I know someone who didn't know her dad was black passing as white until he died, and she met her aunt(s?) and uncle(s?) for the first time.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Egregious Offences posted:

Also, the name of the setting is "Domhain Sceal", which, according to them, roughly translates to "Land of Tropes" in Irish.

Scéal means "story" in Irish; domhain is the genitive of domhan, which means "Earth" (the planet, not dirt) in Irish.

So if "Of the Earth, story" is what they were going for, then they nailed it.

Here's what's stupid: every goddamned Irish legend is about the Land of Something, from the Tír na nÓg to the Tír fo Thuínn. The Land of Tropes is obviously the Tír na {whatever they think "tropes" are; if they think "stories" are good enough, then Scéalta, but my guess is that there is an Irish word for "literary trope"}.

Feel free to correct my admittedly lovely Irish.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 11, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

It apparently translates to "Tale world", if my own rusty Irish is right and google translate isn't full of poo poo, but by troper standards that's not a half-bad stab at it (you seem to be right about it being world as in a planet, as opposed to how they mean, though). Too bad they're just using it to be a bunch of pretentious shitbags, because if you went full Irish mythology with something like this it could almost be interesting.

Nah, the cases are wrong (and I've never seen domhan used for planet in general, that's pláinéad). Even if domhan can be used for planet, it's still wrong; instead of planet of tale, it's tale of planet.

But they probably got it right off Google Translate, which doesn't seem to understand case structure in Irish at all.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Out of curiosity, what story was it lifted from? I'm certain it handles the bioengineered pet thing a lot better than the blatant murder-rape-torture fluffy pony stories.

"The Measure of All Things" and several subsequent connected stories by Richard Chedwyk, which have come out over the last ten years or so. They're clever.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector Zenigata posted:

That person said the publishing world, not the book-reading world. I'm not sure if they were correct or incorrect, but that's different than what you're talking about.

The publishing world (in the US at least) refers to all that stuff as "genre fiction," except for romance. Romance is so massive that it's its own category.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Hell, its own author missed the point in his later years. v:v:v

He died the year after it was published, so I'm not sure what you're referring to?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

K. W. Jeter was the first writer to label a work "steampunk", and he's definitely all about the "imperialism and exploitation of the poor made worse by technology" theme.

Most of the other stuff out there is steampop.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The swirling cloud of Lovecraft followers (as opposed to the Lovecraft circle who got lumped together by those followers) is actually kind of interesting in a "fan fiction goes professional" kind of way. August Derleth was painfully bad; he would be a troper if he was around today.

Derleth wrote unbelievably lovely Sherlock Holmes fanfic also. Except he published it as the adventures of Solar Pons and Dr. Parker, because copyright.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Six Weird Historical Facts I Got Out of an Old Ripley's Believe It or Not Book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Swan Oat posted:

What is Fanon? Surely they can't mean Frantz Fanon...

No, but they are the wretched of the earth.

• Locked thread