Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Have they seen Roman Holiday?

The answer for this is always no. If it ain't anime, rapey or pedophillic then they don't want anything to do with it.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So I've been playing the new Pokemon game and decided to see what TV Tropes had to say about how the series is sometimes dark and odd. Let's check the Pokemon Nightmare fuel page and see what examples we can find. I know it's low hanging fruit but I'm not even cherry picking, all these examples just came from the bottom folder.

quote:

The character "Imakuni?" (question mark included) in the Pokémon Trading Card Game for Game Boy is a pretty unnerving character who has scared quite a few kids, mostly because of his theme song, coupled with the lack of context: he's actually a cameo of a Japanese singer, and he is labeled as "Strange Lifeform Imakuni?" which indicates he is a some kind of space alien.

Oh how horrifying. It's a killer Picasso.

quote:

Razor Claw's description is "A wickedly sharp claw perfect for raking enemies. It allows a certain kind of Pokémon to evolve."; one of the definition of rake is "to claw at; to scratch". Now imagine doing that with sharp claws...

Oh no, sharp claws. This is a thing that will haunt me tonight.

quote:

In Black 2 and White 2, there's a Backpacker in the Lostlorn Forest who, if you answer yes to his question, gives you TM95, Snarl. He then starts on his way off and transforms into a Zoroark. That's pretty weird.

The entire implication there was that he was a Zoroark using its illusion ability. How is that scary?

quote:

Almia Castle in the second Pokémon Rangers game. An abandoned castle up north that's literally frozen. And it's kinda easy to get lost. Additionally, its kitchen is messy

Stuff of nightmares people.

quote:

In the Gen II games, the aptly-named Dark Cave can be accessed before getting Flash. It wouldn't be wise to do so, because it's easy to get stuck without knowing the way out.

And Rock Tunnel could be accessed without flash, what is your point? That you're scared of the dark in a childrens game?

quote:

In the Anime, the episode Electric Soldier Porygon was banned from ever airing again, due to a bright flashing background at one point in the episode that reportedly gave over 600 children siezures, talk about super-effective. To this day, Porygon has only ever shown up once more as a short appearance in one of the movies, and niether Porygon-2 or Porygon-Z have ever appeared in the anime or movies even once. This is most likely due to fear of outraged parents.

So it's scary because the episode caused seizures? That two minor monsters will never appear in the show or series? That parents will be angry if they appeared and it happened again?

Help me out here, I'm not sure that I follow you.

quote:

The Ancient Mew Card.

Terrifying.

quote:

Sturdy lets a Pokémon survive OHKO attacks like being frozen at absolute zero or having its internal organs drilled into mush... or even just a stupidly powerful attack. By that time in real life, the Pokémon would have gone beyond pain, barely coherent and screaming at you to make it stop.

Pokemon with sturdy are immune to OHKOs. :ssh:

quote:

Kakuna may look goofy, but cocoons look just like that.

Okay are they arguing that cocoons are scary? Because they're not.

Jesus, look at me sperg about what is scary in a pokemon game and what isn't. Although it might not be scary to me since I'm older than 10 years old and I'm not a shut-in.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 20, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

TinTower posted:

Where have I seen him before?

BARO! :argh:

Son of a bitch, I'd completely forgotten that there was a character based on Imakuni in Quartz.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

A long-winded (excuse me, 'breezy language') way of saying 'A character that's strong and tough but slow-moving', basically. 'Mighty Glacier' is cutesy, but it more or less makes sense in context; everyone knows that glaciers are slow-moving. But somehow the phrase has gotten so embedded that they think it's a useful resource to create another phrase that makes no sense at all unless you're already familiar with the original reference.

When people say it's a time-sink, it implies that it's moreish like cookies are moreish: you keep at them because they're nice. Actually it's moreish because it's disorientating: you can't understand a lot of it unless you keep reading more and more. You pretty much have to take on board its entire way of thinking to understand what it's talking about. Less like cookies and more like cigarettes: by the time you start enjoying them, you've created a habit.

That's the thing about Tropers. They think that everyone is aware of trope names and in-jokes.

Now then, shall I plow into the Your Mileage Might Vary page for Fire Emblem Awakening? Considering how much the games lends itself to that shipping bullshit, I'm sure that there's going to be something nice here.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

This is one of the things they put under Nightmare Fuel for Modern Warfare (it's on the YMMV page, though; no whole page devoted to it, which I'm not sure is good or bad):

Oh no mommy the ULTRA MEGA SUPER AWESOME BADASS Captain Price got beat up now what do I do :ohdear: :cry:

So uh, I didn't see anything under there about controlling someone that is dying of radiation poisoning. I mean, I could actually give them that since it's a pretty rough moment.

EDIT: I mean it's not scary but it's still a pretty powerful and rather messed up moment.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

DStecks posted:

Hmm, a TVTropes fork might be worthwhile if they get the fundamental problem with the site as it is (trying to make everything a trope), let's take a look-

Oh. Ohhhhh.

Yes, La Blue Girl and Deep Throat are famous works on the same level as Lolita. :downs:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't know what kind of English classes you took in high school, but La Blue Girl and Urotsukidōji were required watching

I did English Lit so it was just Animorphs and the Hooker Verse for me.

EDIT: I actually legit got to study American History X in English Lit which was pretty frigging awesome.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Alopex posted:

The Bible, you say?

And then there's the assorted Nightmare Fuel, HoYay, and WMG/YMMV subpages, which are pretty much what you'd expect.

God dammit, there's a crowning moment of funny page for the Bible and also a character sheet and fanfiction recommendations. My point is that there are no words to describe this.

quote:

Shipping Fics
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Lowlands of Scotland Series by Liz Curtis Higgs
Recommended by: Nocturna
Synopsis: The tale of Jacob, Leah, Rachel, and Dinah, set in the Scottish lowlands in 1791-1793 and 1810. The books are historically accurate and yet remarkably close to the original considering that fact.
Pairings: Jacob/Leah, Jacob/Rachel, Dinah/Shechem
Warnings: The fourth book contains non-graphic rape.

Shipping fanfiction for the Bible. This is a thing that actually exists.

EDIT: They got me. I immediately saw Shipping, immediately went "what the hell" and didn't see Comedy & Paradise Lost.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 16, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Robotnik Nudes posted:

When I try to write my stories sometimes I get super self-conscious about things like "what if tropers read this attempt at commercial genre fiction and get all creepy spergrape over it?"

Then I console myself that I'll always be under anybody's radar and I'm not important enough to gently caress with and why would they bother.

Then I see them getting creepy stalker over people who make anime review videos and I realize that nothing is too small for these fuckers to sperg over.

I shouldn't let it bug me so much, but the average folk who wanders onto TvTropes might think it's just kind of a cute clever way of categorizing fiction. It gives this image of general affability and media savvy when really it's like an autism fueled homunculus formed of the dumpster babies of post modern thought and it seeks to do nothing more than suck all of the creativity out of art and media. It's like creating a museum of body parts with no concept of how they fit together to form a human being.

Well, all you have to do is talk about how Tropers aren't good writers and they'll give you exactly what you want.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

quote:

In the beginning of the review for Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie, there's some very noticeable horizontal cuts at the base of his neck. They're never addressed, but can still tap into some Primal Fear.

First of all, he looks like he nicked himself shaving or he scratched himself somehow.

quote:

He gives an epic rant about how disgraceful Pearl Harbor is to the real event, ending it by shrieking "YOU SON OF A BITCH!" at a volume and pitch human speech was never meant to reach.

... I just checked it out and it sounds no more screechier then usual.

quote:

The "Top 11 Mindfucks".
-"Yes." "Yes." "Yes."

Okay, this episode was just about those really bizarre moments/ bizarre animated films. And the bit right under it was just about how two of him popped out from either side of the screen saying yes. It's kinda odd but how the gently caress is it scary to people that aren't scared of stuff from My Little Pony?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Nah, that was my point. Tropers have a rather extensive page for MLP nightmare fuel and it's indicative of just how low their capacity for scary stuff is. Certain things should have nightmare fuel pages. Stuff like XCOM and Binding of Isaac deserve their pages because they can create genuine tension or contain hosed up poo poo.

quote:

Site Recon. Its a Council Mission in Enemy Within where the team is dispatched to investigate a distress signal from a Canadian fishing village. Hijinks ensue

Like this mission from Enemy Within. It's genuinely tense because everything in the village has been wiped out by chryssalids. Something like this deserves to be on a nightmare fuel page.

Binding of Isaac is pretty much proof that Ed McMillen is pretty hosed up in the head or at least enjoys designing seriously bizarre stuff. Once more, more than deserving of a nightmare fuel page.

Something like this is just goofy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Edit is not quote.. Ignore this.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 21, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Oh you bastard :argh:

No frigging way. Can I get a link to that page? Because that entry might be the most pathetic thing ever.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Christ, I thought was just something made up since it's sounds too pathetic even for tropers. Somebody created a nightmare fuel page for a console just to add this example.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

DoctorPresident posted:

ahahaha, gently caress special snowflakes.

A classic attempt to impress nerds who think "those drat dirty jocks drink alcohol so therefore that is wrong and bad" however they failed since it's completely physically impossible for that to happen.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

crowfeathers posted:

I hope you're ready for a nightmare.

So this guy is a teacher or a student or what? The fact that there is so much carrying on about childrens shows like Backyardigans and Dora makes it incredibly creepy.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

Even better is the fact that they have a Nightmare Fuel page for Film/TV vanity plates.

There were people scared of the "Feature Presentation" title cards from 90s Disney video cassettes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyEyLiQ0dk

Ain't it terrifying? Still this has to be them just listing stuff to look cool.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/Idiocracy

A whole lot of carrying on about a comedy film that was never supposed to be taken seriously. You know, carrying on about how "people haven't actually been getting dumber" or "these people are impossibly stupid" so it's a big case of not getting the joke.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

Look at these idiots chase their tails over giant robot semantics.

Explaining Miyamoto Musashi to people is hilarious because the dude was essentially a crazy hobo with a sword who spent all his time wandering around japan killing people for fun, and at some point the rest of Japanese society started thinking "poo poo, this guy must be doing something right" and turned him into a rockstar.

Yeah, Musashi is a badass just for being one of the greatest swordsman of all time. His status as a murder-hobo who refused to clean himself gets underplayed a lot.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

In that sense, Mookie was a troper before TVTropes existed.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Someone asking about writing a overly idealised utopia.

quote:

Gyra Solune

Soooooooo, the thing is. I am writing a story set in a world where the entire world is composed of two nearly perfectly-functioning, self-sufficient empires. Everybody is born genetically optimal, overpopulation isn't a problem because people are infertile and humanity is continued from a set number of test tube babies, pollution is nonexistent as cities are set above the landscape, and they're at an excellent rate of technological advancement. The only catch is that the two have been at war for centuries- however, as it's revealed, this is a cover anyway to keep societal dissent aimed across the ocean rather than towards their own nation, and the rulers of these empires collaborate to compose every major battle.
Then I discovered the Mary Suetopia trope, and it worries me that this setting might be prone to that.
Thing is, the protagonist is someone who feels they've been wronged by one of these nations, and sees fit to judge them and the world they've made, aiming to exterminate both sides. This is presented as a wrong cause, though, because their society is functioning so well that the "hero" is selfish and petty to think that her hatred takes priority over the necessities of humanity, and that her sacrificing her happiness is the right thing to do for the sake of everyone else. And that seems like it could easily be an accidental strawman thing: "Look, here's this society you might not agree with at first, but anyone who opposes it is a petty bastard and we should all strive to this". That's not what I'm trying to go for, but I can definitely see how it could be taken that way.

Utopias have been done before. In a situation like this, the utopia either is a front for something pretty hosed up or it has really lovely slums where the better off people don't even care about what's going on. A half-decent writer can pull it off with no problems but this is something that Gyra Solune can't do.

quote:

Gyra Solune

I think a big issue with it is the dynamic I have. So, presenting the methods by which these societies operate as being limiting and a bit oppressive regardless of how good they are would work well. Thing is, neither of them are really all that extremist: one is structured to be more comfortable to individualism, one is structured to work better for those who prefer to have something to conform to. They're not very Dystopia-ey at all, really, and in fact, there are easily-found contacts should you wish to move from one to the other. In that case, I should probably present the whole "you have no choice but to choose one" thing, and show inflexibility and diminishing of true over-arching choice, right?

As for the protagonist, in a nutshell, she was a perfectly happy girl and then all the sudden she was implanted with an experimental thingit and cloned for a superweapon project. The focus in question is said clone, who more or less is a physically inept and slightly mentally off nigh-immortal girl who vaguely remembers what it was like to live a normal life and gets to watch her original self go on living that way and growing up while she stays a half-dead-looking little child that everyone treats like an emotionless, malfunctioning shell. Circumstances lead to her escaping with a really powerful weapon, and once she figures out how it works and as she's continually nearly-captured, she's more or less unduly pissed at anything and everything and gets a complex about things she can't control. Basically put, she's in the same situation as a Jew would be if he suddenly had Hitler at gunpoint. There's pretty much only one outcome in that situation unless you're like, the most forgiving son of a bitch on the planet, which our hero is not.

It's also a situation that pretty clearly shows itself to slowly drain sympathy from the protagonist, which...I wonder if that should be the case. I mean, at first, the intent is that your heart goes out for the girl once you find out everything she's been through, and then slowly but surely she goes from questionable but understandable acts to outright depraved and awful means to further her own ends, mostly out of veritably having the power to exterminate everything that exists if she plays it smart enough. This is definitely the thing I'm going for, heroic decay of sorts, but I wonder if that makes everything too preachy.

Thing is, tropers aren't even half-decent writers. This also sounds suspiciously like an anime that actually exists.

EDIT: Dangan Ronpa tears.

quote:

A meta example for those who can only access the game via the Let's Play on Something Awful is the paywalls that pop up periodically on the site, preventing anyone who won't shell out ten bucks from reading the drat thing. Especially since it is completely unadvertised, so no planning ahead, there is never a schedule for how long they're supposed to last, and some have even claimed that the paywalls have increased in frequency and length ever since the popularity of the playthroughs of this game and its sequel. At least this one is on LPArchive now.

quote:

Nightmare Fuel: Something Awful
This is the same site that created The Slender Man Mythos, one of the scariest things to ever grace the internet. Make of that of what you will.
Two words: Doom House

Are goons honored that they have a nightmare fuel page?

Testekill fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 27, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

Look at it: battling Utopias, weird girl clone thing that never ages, gets increasingly depraved. Goddamn right that's cribbed from animes.

The most fascinating fiction comes when you have a protagonist doing utterly normal, believable things, before something intriguing happens. How our protagonist deals with it is what makes the story work.

Yeah, I just can't put my finger on it. I've seen a synopsis that is quite similar to it but I'm drawing a blank.

But yeah you're right. Quite often a memorable character is someone normal that is shoved into a situation that is out of their depth and they have to adapt to it. To just flat out start with the character being a genetic experiment leads to not a lot of believable conflict and character evolution unless they go the "I want to be a real boy/girl" route.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

alcharagia posted:

The best part is that there's even a perfectly functional, OP-sanctioned mirror of the LP on Tumblr that they refuse to use so they can call Slowbeef the spawn of Satan some more.

Let's face it, Slowbeef probably loves the fact that a bunch of dweebs think that he's Satan just because they can't read a thread about an anime game and are too lazy to look at the Tumblr. I know I would certainly love it.

EDIT: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/DarkLadyCelebrian

I have a feeling that this chick never shuts the gently caress up. Just looking at her troper page makes her come off as more obnoxious then the trainload of teenagers that I travelled with this afternoon.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 27, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So I'm chilling out at my computer and listening to my music when I decided to look through some musicians and music related pages.

Pixies

quote:

Despite the name, there is no Manic Pixie Dream Girl in the band, though Kim Deal's fans may beg to differ. Joey found the word in a dictionary, and they liked it enough to use it as a band name.

Fucks sake. Pixies have been a thing in all forms of European Mythology for about 2000 years before that stupid trope was coined.

Okay, how about Kim Deal not being in the reformed Pixies?

quote:

The Band Minus the Face: Kim Deal officially left the band in 2013, to concentrate on The Breeders' anniversary tour for Last Splash. Notably, this time it was done with much less acrimony, with Lovering mentioning in an interview that the position is always open for her to return, and the band remained officially composed of Francis, Lovering and Santiago, with Kim Shattuck (of The Muffs) being only a touring bassist instead of an official member.

Most musicians would say that Black Francis was the face of the Pixies. Kim Deal might have been a good bassist but she was a pretty average vocalist. Now Black Francis being the face is more because he was a bit of an egomaniac which led to the band disbanding originally.

Other than that, it's the usual overanalysis of lyrics or pidgeon holing tropes.

Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly

Okay, a really stupid loving name for what should be called genre crossing.

quote:

A subtrope of this is "Ethnic Punk":
Celtic punk, which combines punk rock with Scottish, Irish and occasionally Welsh or Breton folk. Pioneered by Anglo-Irish group The Pogues and popularised by groups like Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly.

You mean punk music played by persons of Celtic descent? If they said that they took Celtic influences and combined them with punk music than that would be alright. But no, it's just like "Well, these bands have band members of Celtic descent. We could talk about how their background influenced their music but gently caress that,"

quote:

The Clash were punk/everything else, at least on their later albums.

So you don't feel like touching upon their rap, Jamaican or funk influences? Sure they bring it up on their band page, but do you want to know what they don't bring up on their page? Their lead singer tragically passing away 11 years ago.

quote:

Streetlight Manifesto mix ska, punk, acoustic, big band, funk and hardcore. Fans of Streetlight Manifesto, and frontman Tomas Kalnoky's side project Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution (another genre-splicer, fusing acoustic, ska and Middle-Eastern influences), sometimes refer to this as "the fourth wave of ska".

Czechslovakia and Greece aren't Middle-Eastern you stupid fucks. Jesus Christ, I have A Call to Arms playing right now and it's clearly Eastern European influenced. Do you want to know how I know this? I actually know people from Eastern Europe and I've heard enough of their music to tell.

They do surprisingly have a page for The Pogues.

quote:

The Pogues were, and occasionally still are, a Celtic Punk band from London, formed as Pogue Mahone in 1982. After landing several hits in The Eighties and early Nineties, they lost lead singer/songwriter Shane MacGowan to personal issues in 1991, and after two more albums the band called it quits in 1996. The band reformed in 2001 and has gone on several tours, but have no plans to record any new material.
They're often noted for awesome songwriting, their mix of traditional folk music with punkish energy, and sadly, the very public self destruction (and poor dental hygiene) of Shane MacGowan.

That's their entire biography before they get into the tropes and their discography. A completely forgotten child musician called Nikki Webster has a longer biography and I'd say just because she attempted to shed her child friendly image with an overly sexualised one which failed completely.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I'm still trying to get over "apparently African people’s hair is apparently great for sticking stuff into it" as something someone claiming to be an Afrophile would type. For all his obsession with this topic, has Jabrosky ever actually met a black person? Or, like, talked with one, or reflected at all on the stereotypes and prejudices they've faced? (Don't answer that; I think I know.)

You could say that for anything. Black people, Japanese people, women, people who aren't horrible nerds. The list goes on forever.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

What he really seems to want is to be the Sam Worthington character from Avatar, the (white) hero who falls in love with an enemy (black) woman and turns against his own evil (white) people. That kind of story usually has a bunch of racist underpinnings, and I doubt he gives much thought to that poo poo even if he wallows around in it. Like every troper, really. It's not remotely surprising he ended up there.

So he has a thing for white man's burden then?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

See, I don't get that. They whine and complain about that, but when it comes to stuff like Eddy's older brother on that Ed, Edd, and Eddy series finale movie or Lisa Simpson bullying Bart in the latter-day Simpsons episodes (which no normal person should care about, as it's literally been years since The Simpsons was considered funny and relevant to everyone who wasn't a shut-in nerd), they scream, "Complete monster!" or "Nightmare fuel!" or worse of all, "Dethroning Moment of Suck."

Don't believe me: slog through these links below (try not to let your brain cells die as your eyes glaze over the crappiness):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/NightmareFuel/EdEddNEddysBigPictureShow
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Monster/CartoonNetwork
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/TheSimpsons

The thing about their definition of complete monster is that nobody is just a dick or a villain. If a character is unpleasant then they have to be a complete monster.

quote:

Kryz: Many of the take thats directed towards fans are especially mean-spirited, but none more so than the following exchange from "The Itchy And Scratchy And Poochie Show":
Comic Book Guy: Last night's Itchy and Scratchy was the worst episode ever. As a loyal viewer, I feel they owe me.
Bart: For what? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. If anything, you owe them.
Comic Book Guy: Worst. Episode. Ever.

Over/Under on Tropers thinking that they deserve good episodes only? I mean, this joke is at the expense of fans like them who think that they are owed free entertainment.

quote:

Cannotrememberpasswords: Dear FSM Almighty, "Lisa the Simpson". Basic plot: Lisa finds out that the family has a gene that basically makes you go through Alzheimer's around 8 years old. At the end of the episode, it turns out that it's only on the Y chromosome, and thus, only men can get it. Let's disregard the incredibly faulty ideas about genetics this episode has, the continuity that prior showed Bart and Homer being Book Dumb and having a crayon lodged in his brain, respectively, as well as successful automaker and inventor Herb Powell being a Simpson, and Abe Simpson demonstrating extreme battlefield competence, and simply note that it ends on the note that all men in the Simpsons family are doomed to basically become drooling idiots and there's nothing they can do about it. But not Lisa, so apparently this is a happy ending. Yep, Bart is never going to have a decent career and he's probably going to fail at every endeavor, and Homer was destined to that fate from the start, but Lisa can solve that brainteaser. Whoop-de-friggin'-doo. The worst part is that they could have had it end with Lisa accepting the gene, and have Homer give it to her. But no-oo. Lisa must be Always Right.

Hmmm, the joke is that genetics don't work that way. Holy poo poo, did they honestly blank on this in their rage?

quote:

Bananaquit: Saddlesore Galactica. Really, the whole episode, as it seemed cruelly calculated by the writers to raise the ire of anyone who criticized the show. However, I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt; even though I didn’t laugh once during the first two acts. Then comes the third act, where it’s revealed that jockeys are really Keebler™-like elves who live in an underground cave beneath a tree. Who perform a horrid musical number. And, as though they hadn’t added enough insult to injury, they managed to cap the episode with a predictable “Bill Clinton Is Promiscuous” gag. This episode didn’t merely Jump the Shark, it pole-vaulted over it.

RRAAAGH, THIS CARTOON IS NOT REALISTIC! Also, the joke was more about Bill Clinton being seen as not that great of a president. And yet this predictable gag was still hilarious.

Bill Clinton: Thank you Lisa for teaching kids everywhere a valuable lesson. If things don't go your way just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
Marge Simpson: That's a pretty lousy lesson.
Bill Clinton: Hey, I'm a pretty lousy President.

Overall that episode was pretty crap but this was season 11 when the quality started plummeting.

quote:

A Justice: "Simpsons Safari." The family goes to Africa ("Simpsons Safari," from season 12), gets lost, and winds up at a chimp preserve. It appears that poachers are stealing the chimps, but it turns out that the "poachers" are actually with Greenpeace and are saving the chimps from the scientist (a Jane Goodall expy) who runs the preserve: she's actually using them for slave labor to mine diamonds for her. When confronted, she bribes the family with diamonds, while cackling and sporting a crazed look (showing that isolation and greed has driven her over the edge). And what do the Simpsons do? Take the bribe and let the chimp-torturing nutjob go further down the goddamn chute (except Lisa, who just complains about it). You really gotta question their morals when they prefer getting rich over getting a person mental help.

It's like they didn't get offered a kings ransom in diamonds.

quote:

No hate for Jaws Wired Shut? The first act is amusing, but it all goes downhill when Homer breaks his jaw. After that we get some absolutely cringeworthy scenes - Lisa complaining about Ralph like the brat she is, for one, and also Bart whining about his reputation about a class clown, and who can forget that AWFUL third act, where Marge becomes tired of Homer's new quiet, nicer self and runs away to go a demolition derby. That is followed by an extremely annoying Popeye parody that goes on for far too long ("Fuel for me mule, gas for me rear end!") and then we get the message that it's better to be an easily-angered, impulse-driven buffoon like Homer than a person who actually listens to his children and bonds with them in the process. Ugh.

Let me break this down.

1. Lisa is eight years old. You can't expect her to just be a robot all of the time, especially with having to go to school with someone like Ralph Wiggum.
2. Bart has been shown to want to be something more than a class clown in earlier episodes. Everyone just expects him to crack jokes.
3. Quiet, thoughtful Homer was not the man that Marge married. She loved him the way he was.
4. It lasted 30 loving seconds.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 2, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Hey, here's a Suikoden example of them just not getting the basic premise of the series. Spoilers for the original so watch out.

quote:

The reason why in the end of I, Soul Eater rejects Windy, it is not because simple Even Evil Has Standards. But more like how Soul Eater feeds, it fed on the souls of those close to the bearer. On the other hand, Windy has never accepted anyone in her heart, constantly only thinking of herself and her desire to destroy the world for self-revenge, she doesn't even open her heart to Barbarossa. Therefore, Soul Eater refuses to be hosted by Windy because it'll end up hungry with no 'close friend's soul' to consume.

Or it's because she already bears a true rune and a person cannot bear multiple true runes? Like, I dunno.

Suikoden II headscratcher. Spoilers of course

quote:

Why does Jowy try to assassinate Riou instead of suggesting political union? If his goals is to end conflict by joining Jowston and the Highlands, and your best friend is leading the opposing side, wouldn't it be smarter to become allies rather than prolong the war and kill your buddy?

Besides the fact that the two halves of the Rune of Beginning are always in conflict with each other, it's explicitly stated that Highland was a nation out for blood after the death of their king and the massacre of what were essentially boy scouts. Would your people accept peace with an enemy that they've been at war with on and off for going on thirty to forty years?

How about a CMOF for the worst game in the series?

quote:

How about the first time the heroes meet a mermaid?
Mermaid: The master is always angrey, I hate it.
Okaaay

The okay is just poking fun at her weird pronounciation of the word. But still, you had 9 words to type and none of them were difficult. Well done guys.

I really don't want to look through the actual pages. The Suikoden series is actually a relatively subtle series and I'd imagine they will understand sweet gently caress all about it.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 2, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Razorwired posted:

You'd think media junkies like Tropers would remember that Yeardley Smith said her favorite moments for Lisa are when she gets to be an 8 year old kid.

And here's the worst part. They don't want her to be preachy or even have opinions of her own but simultaneously don't want her to even act remotely like a child. All they want is this bland, intelligent character who just stands around and sometimes says stuff.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 3, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Initially, "Getting Crap Past The Radar" was supposed to be the sorts of jokes that Animaniacs would let fly, immediately followed by 'goodnight, everybody'! That kind of thing. But we all know how tropers feel about subtlety. Or how important it is that the get to mention that their favorite anime did a partial double inversion.

Well yeah, there's a difference between something like Rocko working as a phone sex operator, the various poo poo that Animaniacs did and then something like My Little Pony.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

DStecks posted:

The difference is that one of them is from your childhood, where the other is from somebody else's? :v:

Except that Animaniacs & Rockos Modern Life aggressively told censors to go gently caress themselves. They took every attempt to slip in a dirty joke or something that kids wouldn't get.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

I actually wonder how much of "Getting Crap Past the Radar" comes as much from anime fans trying to prove stuff Dragon Ball Z is so totally adult because, like, in this fansub Gohan says "drat" and Yamcha dies.

You would actually be surprised. There's only three Dragonball references, with only one that is really reaching with them using the term Hell (as in Hell itself, not as a curse). There's a lot of carrying on about shows targeted towards teenagers having sutff that might be a little inappropriate.

An example

quote:

Pictured above: In Episode 5 of Fooly Cooly, "Brittle Bullet," Kamon Nandaba is wearing a full-fledged Nazi uniform with a genuine SWASTIKA on the sash. Given that Japan played a major role in World War II, this is defying the censors at its fullest. The American dub doesn't try one bit to hide it, though the mature audience probably knows it's Played for Laughs. A channel-flipping or web-browsing soccer mom, however... will be screaming bloody murder if they catch eye of the offending symbol. Way to push the envelope, Gainax...
Pulling a naughty tentacle out of a kid's head that turns out to be a guitar, then cutting to a scene of female officers with massive Nosebleeds, Canti actually removing Ninamori's panties on screen (and we get to briefly see her bare rear end — and mind you, this is a 12-year-old girl we're talking about,) or Haruko's Playboy Bunny getup. The title itself can be construed as a term for "sex".
Grandpa tries to explain to Haruko what Fooly Cooly (Or "Furi Kuri") is by mistaking it for Kuri Kuri, the Japanese onomotapiea for breast fondling.

FLCL is not a child friendly series. And with the bolded bits... How is that possibly? We're talking about a relatively obscure series (while it's pretty drat funny, no parents are going to hear of it) that, when it aired in America, would have a late evening or watershed timeslot. So a channel surfing soccer mom is going to switch to cartoon network during their older block, watch a specific episode of a show that is bat poo poo insane and lose it because a character that is being portrayed as a bit of a lunatic has a swastika on his armband for maybe 10 seconds.
They also use Death Note as an example because of its second opening theme had lyrics that were deliberately written to sound like they were cursing even though they weren't doing so in Japanese. Then point out that it aired in the Adult Swim block. So not a childrens show as it was aimed at people in their mid teens over in Japan and it wasn't aimed at children in America.

It's funny how they are so up in arms that parents dare say that cartoons are for small chiildren and then immediately throw shows that are intended for teenagers under that very same label.

EDIT: They use Ghost in the Shell as an example. They state on the main page for Getting Crap past the radar that "Most examples are found in materials aimed at children or shows alleging to be family-friendly."

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 4, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Mr Tastee posted:

Just a little thing, but I love how tropers freak out when something for kids has something even remotely dark or scary in it, like the average 10-year-old can't handle concepts like death or violence. It speaks volums about their own childishness.

What's it that Terry Pratchett once said? "Kids love a bit of violence and being scared as long as the bad guys get whats coming to them" or something along those lines?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Leofish posted:

This must be a relic of a bygone era on that site. It's.... not bad. It actually seems to be written by someone who thought about the characters and what they're doing. Like, it's Goof Troop of all things, but at least that editor did his homework.

The next entry in the list of Analysis pages is Gravity Falls. Their analysis - The forest has small woodland mammals, rodents, and birds in it, just like a real forest! Also bigfoot. And then they link to a different wiki. :thumbsup:

That's some quality analysis there boys. What I wouldn't give to mark the English exams of a dozen or so tropers. Because that's all about interpretation and analysis and we've established that, unless it's about My Little Pony, they're incredibly bad at it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I was reading through this thread again and Saint Drogo bought up Flexible Survival still having a TVTropes page. Surely they would have deleted it now that the hated goons has highlighted it being furry porn. But guess what, it's still there. Good job on the porn purge, that's some fine police work there boys.

I mean, is it fine just because it's not pedoshit (I'm sorry, lolicon)? It's clearly a porn game since... you know...

quote:

Black Comedy Rape: In a way, though getting raped is how you gain new powers for the most part.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Most comedy musicians are trying to cover up the fact their comedy sucks by putting some musical notes behind it, and trying to cover up the fact their music sucks by adding jokes.

There's actually quite a few good Australian musical-comedians like Tim Minchin, The Doug Anthony All Stars or Andrew Hanson from The Chasers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I find this kinda hard to believe. Lovecraft wrote almost exclusively short stories, and most of them are available for free online since the copyrights have expired. It takes less than an hour to dig out and read The Call of Cthulhu. You have to work very hard to put in that little effort for something you apparently love.

Well you see, even putting in minimal effort still requires them to put in effort.

EDIT: I took a look at the wrestling page and it's a very mixed bag. I'm going to ignore the elephant in the room with the whole "Face-Heel turn" (which isn't even a wrestling term) and just focus on the Wrestlers of note page.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ProfessionalWrestling

quote:

* 2 Cold Scorpio (Really? He was a popular and influential high flyer in the 90's but he never really did much in America outside of ECW. He was mostly just a midcarder for life wherever he went)
* Mike Adamle (Fucks sake? Really? A guy who only did one thing of note and that was constantly botching announcing matches)
* Aksana (You have got to be kidding me. She is a barely noticable Diva who is rarely on TV outside of multi-woman matches.
* Mike Awesome (Once more, is he really that notable? Sure he had a successful career as a hardcore wrestler and was ECW World Champion but the most notable thing that he did was leaving ECW while World Champion.
* Curtis Axel (Why not create a characters page for current WWE wrestlers instead of giving them their own pages? He's Curt Hennings son and cut a lovely promo on NXT)
* The Barbarian (Mediocre power and paint wrestler, only notable success was as a tag team wrestler with Meng/Haku. Massive example of not needing a page since nobody would have been clamoring for it)

* Big Bossman (Holy poo poo really? Complete midcarder for life who was, once again, famous in 1999 because the bookers made him go full on sadistic bodyguard)
* Steve Blackman (Okay legit badass in real life but he's another guy that didn't really accomplish a whole lot)
* The Blue Meanie (Fat comedy wrestler who was popular as part of a parody of the NWO called the BWO)

I could go on. A page listing notable names in professional wrestling should be about the guys that are at the top of the card, the guys who are Indie standouts or guys that are legendary. Here's a randomly selected group of wrestlers

quote:

Terri Poch/Tori (Really? She was a bit player for a couple of years during the late 90's)

Al Poling/911 (HAHAHAHAHA! This guy was the ultimate example of Paul Heyman being able to hide somebodies weaknesses and he would only go out and chokeslam people. How is that worthy of a page)

Psicosis (Eh, pretty succesful wrestler in Mexico with a long career. I'd say he can sneak in with a page)

CM Punk (One of the top stars in the industry today. Absolutely deserves a page)

Mike Quackenbush (Might be pushing it but he booked, ran and was one of the top stars of CHIKARA which is a promotion with a cult following)

Harley Race (Legend of the industry)

Raven (Tons of great matches, could cut an amazing promo and a man that knows wrestling inside and out. He deserves a page)

William Regal (Absolutely. Future legend of the business)

Ron Reis/The Yeti/Reese (Holy gently caress no. The only thing people remember him doing is looking like he was dry humping Hulk Hogan)

Cody Rhodes (I'd say he does deserve a page. He's one of the top young stars going about and he and Goldust are putting on great tag matches on a weekly basis)

Dusty Rhodes (Yep. Legend of the business and was massively succesful as "The American Dream"

Rhyno/Rhino
(Nah didn't really have a notable enough career to deserve a page. Which, considering he's a multi-time world champion is really saying something)

Stevie Richards
(Midcarder for life whose only really characters was being somebodies stooge. I guess he had a long career and wrestled for all four major American promotions but he's pushing it)

Rikidozan
(The father of Japanese professional wrestling. Absolutely deserves a page)

Here's the thing, you get people like The Yeti rubbing shoulders with guys like Dusty Rhodes and Harley Race. I know the whole "no such thing as notability) bullshit but every wrestler that they remember doesn't deserve a page.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 15, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Penny Paper posted:

Well, to a troper, they probably have never heard of Dunsany and they probably studied Poe in school by their (to use their "language") Sadist Teacher (who probably wasn't a sadist at all; tropers just like to exaggerate and think teachers are beneath them). If not, then they wrongly think Poe is for emos and Goths.

That's probably it. They seem to automatically think that anything that they had to study in high school English is just crap and is just there to torture them.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Admittedly, having to read stuff that seems like you're having to read for the sake of reading it, like Ethan Frome and The Scarlet Letter, certainly could turn one off to HS-level lit. But then, with relatively modern works like Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, and In Cold Blood, it's like they're willfully trying to deafen themselves to something that's required of them that, gasp, just might actually be good despite not being an anime or game.

Yeah, there are plenty of books or films that I would never have seen if not for English class. I certainly wouldn't have ever seen American History X if not for my Lit class and I probably wouldn't have read Great Gatsby either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The Pro Wrestling section is one of the most ignored and least cleaned-up sections of the site. If you looked hard enough and sifted through the regular banal dreck, I'm pretty sure you could find some horrible, horrible gold in there.

The only real "holy gently caress, what the hell guys?" bit is the Anyone can Die entry. They could just say that it's an unfortunate fact that wrestlers are starting to die really young. That's all that would need to be said but then they have to elaborate.

This is Truth in Television because immortality does not exist, so real life examples will be completely unnecessary.

This is said on the trope page for Anyone can Die. These are real people that have passed away generally before their time (There's been a lot of deaths while the person is in their mid 40's to early 50's.) and they could treat it with a little respect instead of going "well this is how x person died"

There's still going to be asinine bullshit like them having to list every wrestling B show but that's the real standout.

• Locked thread