Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tardigrade posted:

Presumably they figured that "Out, damned spot" is quotable, and ran with it.

They know that line is quotable. Thing is, they probably don't know or understand why it's quotable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

HapiMerchant posted:

What the actual gently caress. Who plays a kids game about just living in a town and comes away with GRIMDARK STRUGGLE AGAINST THE OPPRESSORS.

Tvtropes Pleads the Fifth: Nothing can be Nice, Ever

Well, the Dark Secret of Animal Crossing was the name of a LP of Animal Crossing on here. It took things really grimdark and creepy but in a much better way that had paragraphs instead of being an impenetrable wall of text.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Speaking of heel face turn, that's not even a loving wrestling term. It's just heel turn or face turn.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

There is a particularily infuriating example on the video games GCPTR page. It's an entry for Neverwinter Nights 2 where a gigantic demon questions what gender you are. You get the option to motion to take your pants off and tell the demon to stand back. The demon shoots back that it doubts that it'll be able to see them due to its failing eyesight.

A pretty amusing joke but this is a game that was rated T (for Alcohol Reference, Blood, Mild Language, Sexual Themes, Violence) so why the gently caress is that on a page about getting things past censors? A joke like that wouldn't really be out of place on any tv show that was aimed at a similar audience.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Hammurabi posted:

Because tropers will bend over backwards to put everything they kind of like into the pages of as many tropes as possible (but only if the trope makes it seem MATURE/EDGY/HARDCORE/BADASS - boy howdy do they love that word).

Speaking of the word badass, guess how many times it is used on the characters page for Hells Kitchen.

HINT: It's used more times then there has been competitors.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

It turns into weird fanfic.

loving hell, Andre the Giant was a real person who lived a life of suffering due to not being able to cope with the pain that his body went through. Couldn't they even show him a small amount of respect and not chuck in some pony poo poo?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Dear TV Tropes, stop making GBS threads fetishes over everything.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Speaking of video games and Japan, I could have sworn that they had cut this page a while back. Guess I was wrong! :v:

Now that ain't right.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

No Export for You

quote:

None of the Alice Soft games will ever make it in the US due to their controversial nature. AliceSoft even blocked off their website to any and all foreigners.

First entry on the Video games page. Nicely done Tropers, that might be your best anime rape game to paragraph ratio ever. :bravo:

quote:

Sam and Max Hit the Road has never gotten another American re-release aside from the CD-ROM re-release in 1995 (and as a pack-in in an otherwise unrelated LucasArts game, Armed & Dangerous). However, it did get a 2007 re-release in Europe, the country in which the series is critically panned.

Europe is a country. gently caress this, that is just brain shatteringly stupid. :downsbravo:

quote:

No importing RapeLay for you! Despite being a rather under-the-radar sandbox-style 3D-ero (a.k.a. "Hentai") game from 2006, It was imported intentionally by several American feminist organizations specifically to be offended by it — groups that are now working with far right protesters in Japan to pressure the Japanese government to ban "Abuse Games". Amazon and other importer-friendly stores have banned the sale of the game, retail markets in Japan are working at pulling it from shelves, and even the maker has purged their website of all mention of it.

The bigger catch? Much like the proposed anti-Lolicon rules that would plant an automatic R-18 rating (read: no one under 18 admitted) on certain works (thankfully, Doraemon won't be among them), the preliminary proposed regulations about "abuse games" are vague enough that they would ban about 30-40% of the ero market. A complete accident, of course.

Illusion doesn't release any of their games outside of Japan — they even have an statement on their website stating that they won't sell any game to anybody outside Japan. Many of their more mainstream Dating Sim games are actually kinda fun to play and have huge modding communities outside of Japan. Even games like RapeLay or Biko (a "stalker game") are interestingly bizarre (bizarrely interesting?) examples of that piece of Japanese culture. They have even released a couple of RPG and Brawler style H-Games. (Not to mention the company's mastery of the art of Jiggle Physics.) Regardless of title, if you want to play them, outside of travelling to Japan to buy them, you have to rely on either ambiguously legal imports or torrents to get them. In fact, you can be charged with a felony for possessing it.

Note that the last sentence applies still in a variety of countries, but not the US or Japan. Certain aspects of the game Rapelay (namely that the youngest rapeable character is supposed to be just 10, though she looks more about 16 in the game) mean the game is illegal in a number of European and even Asian (with the exception of Japan) countries. It also would have been illegal in the US if those 2 laws back in the George W Bush administration had actually stayed. However the US Supreme court struck down these laws (that amounted to "anti lolicon hentai" laws) in favor of free speech (as playing this game or others like it in fact does not actually harm anyone). While at the time of me writing this, there is no entry in Ebay for the game, it is potentially possible to purchase it on Ebay, if anyone has a copy they are selling. This also remains the only legal way (no piracy needed) to acquire a copy of the game.

:thumbsup:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Things that might vaguely be construed as "tee hee these characters are so gay".

Note that this isn't them using gay for insulting the characters. This is them praying that the characters are gay for each other.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: Everything is actually rape

Never has this been more appropriate.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Is it just me or does That One Level seems to only rarely be about points in games that are brutally unfair and are instead the troper just being bad at games? Case in point, there's complaining about the LEGO crossover games that are pretty easy for the most part and don't punish you for dying outside of losing some studs.
There's also complaining about Dynasty Warriors which is also odd since it's not exactly difficult either.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

Has THIS page been linked yet? Because holy poo poo, that is some next-level racism.

Oh god drat it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

You bought that on yourself.

EDIT: Those mother fuckers, Fluffy Pony still has a page on TV Tropes.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 5, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Razorwired posted:

Yes, and somehow I knew it was going to be the fic in those images before I expanded them.

For those that weren't here. It's like Groundhog Day. Except with ninjas that literally start raping other ninjas so they can learn their ninja tricks.

So they're like blue mages but instead of getting attacked by the attacks, there's copious amounts of rape?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

BlueDude posted:

Honestly, I think ponies are a more apt comparison, given that bronies have this strange urge to "ponify" loving everything. For example:

Another thing that bugs me about the fans (and tropers in general, really) is that they seem to think that references are the height of comedy, and so everything they make must be ReferenceOverdosed and {{Troperiffic}}.

This doesn't even make sense, given the setting.

Here's the thought process of bronies

1) I like ponies
2) I like X
3) I think X should have ponies in it
4) It should also have everything else that I like, no matter how it fits in.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

9 hours of crossover bullshit? I'd say that they need to get a life but they'd just waste that anyways.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Political Whores posted:

From Wikipedia

:psyduck:

They wisely don't mention all the rapey themes and elements. Jay O summed up the first two episodes in the Internet Critics thread and she could not be more negative of them if she could.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

more subplots=better? No wonder the loving thing is longer than 3 War and Peace's if they're trying to settle a plot thread for "every character" (except raiders because we coulden't come up with any more subplots)

It's a bit of a logical fallacy common with nerds. I like X so clearly more of X is going to be even better. That's how they justify a fanfic the size of FOE.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What trope pages are funnier? The ones that are written arrogantly and condescending, or the ones where the tropers treat the concept like some bizarre alien artifact?

Certainly the latter. Tropers are at their most hilarious when they just don't understand something at all such as human interactions.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Ho Yay is supposed to be for hysterical fandom bullshit, not canon gay couples or subtext. The sort of stuff the Supernatural fandom's marinated in, for instance.

Ho Yay is for anything that can be possibly interpreted as gay by tumblerites.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Allow me to interject: anime, is good.

Only good anime are Jojo and Cromartie High School.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Anime is a rich constellation of wonders, friend. :mrgw:

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

I actually went trawling Writer's Block last night looking for something to poast and it was just poo poo, just poo poo, it was just insanely dull, sorry folks.

Yup, Writers Block is either terrible or boring. That's literally the only two ways it goes for them.

• Locked thread