Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think the funniest thing about all that was that in the midst of debating how they were going to decide a fair and unbiased way to figure out what standards they were going to hold fanservice animes to, Lolita got the ax without any discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Did he just not respond when you told him about the account thing? I'd think as paranoid as he is about SA he'd double-check that poo poo was secure even if he thought you were lying.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Apple Tree posted:

Boys? That's not an implication. It's a direct statement. It 'could be seen' that way? Who do you think is not going to see it that way? No, please don't answer that.
"Unfortunate Implications" exists because of the philosophy summed up in this line from the front page:

TVTropes posted:

We are also not a wiki for bashing things. Once again, we're about celebrating fiction, not showing off how snide and sarcastic we can be.
In other words, if there's the anyone else on the wiki that might like a thing, any criticism of it has to be very carefully marked as a personal opinion. Which means for anything less than The Birth of a Nation, you can't call it racist, the best you can do is say sure it looks racist, but maybe they didn't mean it that way.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Apple Tree posted:

For instance: in search of content, I typed the word 'fantasist' into the TVTropes search box. And despite being a common and recognisable kind of fictional character, and unlike pretty much everything else in the entire universe, it has not been made into a trope.

(And I looked on the loving Labyrinth page to double-check. "Sarah is an unhappy teenager, who hides from life in fantasy tales to the point of dressing up in a long flowing dress and acting bits of script in the park." There are no links in that sentence. The tropers do not have a trope for that.)
I dunno, you can't depend on TVTropes giving things intuitive names. After a bit of searching I found a few tropes that seem to be about what you were looking for.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Apple Tree posted:

Oddly, TVTropes's giant Breaking Bad page does not list 'Nice Hat' as a trope. Not even as 'deconstructed' or 'subverted'. It does say 'Walter White from Breaking Bad wears one when in his Heisenberg persona' on the 'Nice Hat' page, but nothing on the 'Breaking Bad' page :shrug:

No, see, Heisenberg's hat is a porkpie. Totally different from a fedora.
:goonsay:

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I forget, was Major Tom also the fascist who really, really wanted to bomb Iran, and talked about how he much he wanted to beat up trans people?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
You know, I think a piece of fiction written in the form of an encyclopedia article about something that doesn't exist might turn out to be kinda fun. Sorta like The Areas of My Expertise. Just, not if it's written by tropers.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

I think that was Barkey? It's a little hard to tell tropers apart sometimes.

Oh yeah, it could be either one of those, or I could be conflating them. Tom just seemed like the kind of armchair strategist who'd think invading Iran would be a quick and painless affair.

quote:

I also remember someone repeatedly turned Major Tom's page into a Space Oddity edit. The page is now locked so only he can edit it.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised it was only one person. I know I'd probably do that if I could.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
What's the nature of your e-fame? They generally ignore creators asking for a page about their work be deleted, but trope pages aren't supposed to be about someone's personal life. It happens all the time because most of the userbase ignore those sort of rules but if you make a thread in Trope Repair Shop or Wiki Talk you might find someone who'll listen to you.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Also, the whole Jay O thing in this thread is really frightening. They have it outright written in the rules that there is no out clause for someone who wants their personal poo poo taken off the website? That's horrendously controlling and of course most Tropers are at the point where they just blithely say "Welp, them's the rules nothing we can do for you" rather than taking the time out to think for a second why the rule is bad and why treating a person the same way you treat a work of fiction is incredibly insensitive.

Theoretically, what they have is a rule that you don't have authority over a page just because it's about your work. And theoretically, pages about real people are either supposed to have tropes pertaining to that person's work or how that person is portrayed in fiction and aren't supposed to be applying tropes to that person's personal life. It's just that, like a lot of their rules, their policy for the latter is to not enforce it until someone gets mad at them.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Apple Tree posted:

You know, I was looking at the comments about how they can't seem to distinguish talking about Jay O's personal life from talking about a fictional character and thinking, 'Welp, that's your garden variety objectification right there...' But actually I think it's weirder than that. Think of their mission statement on the home page:

Get that? You're not supposed to bash 'things'. Bashing people, though, is perfectly okay. Jay O would probably be getting more defenders if she was fictional.

Nah, the thing is she "bashed" things (that tropers liked) first, once you do that there's open season on you.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
You haven't heard about how Obama won because of the Black Panthers intimidating white voters? The Panthers are still a conservative boogeyman.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Wasn't at least one of them banned for having an account on SA?

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Djeser posted:

Yes, Saladin looked like Jarl Ulfric from Skyrim in the Hammerfell soldiers' outfits from Skyrim.

So, this man has never seen an Iranian person before, right?

made of bees
May 21, 2013

MinistryofLard posted:

From a thread titled "Iran is building nuclear weapons." in OTC.

I get the feeling this guy doesn't live in the real world. Instead, he lives in the land of strategy video games, where you can pull off Versailles style divisions with no regard to ethnic borders and erase countries from the map with the stroke of a pen.

EDIT: Later, in response to people telling him he's full of crap and that the US doesn't actually have the military or money to enforce that:

He just has zero understanding of international politics at all. He thinks the entire leadership of the world is clamouring to expand their borders like it was the 1600s all over again.

If I remember correctly, this same guy has been saying "we must invade Iran NOW because they're going to nuke Israel/they're going to blockade the gulf of Hormuz and wreck the world economy/they won't stop being muslim" for years now. Which I guess doesn't make him different from any rear end in a top hat right-winger. But still, it's pretty disturbing to read.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Yeah, I get why it's such a popular scenario, but even starting with the premise of the Nazis winning the war means you've pretty much abandoned any attempt at realism, so you might as well just do whatever you want with it. On that note, an "alt history" story I really liked is the novela Thor Meets Captain America, which is not a Marvel comic, but a response to a challenge to write the most realistic scenario in which the Nazis win. How do they do it? They summon the Norse gods to fight the war for them by using the Holocaust as mass human sacrifice.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Oh man Starship whatever his name was would go nuts. Is he still around? The passive-aggressive fundamentalist dude who's always moaning about how gays are the real bigots for not respecting his homophobic beliefs?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I really can't get mad at tropers for not getting Orwell, not when there's so many people who think he was a conservative because he had the bad guys call each other 'comrade'.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Well, at least no one's defending the book, right? Please? :ohdear:

EDIT: From a cursory glance I didn't see anyone defending it but for the love of God why does this trope still have that name?

made of bees fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 28, 2014

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I thought he was only banned from the political forum.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the mention of 'deathism' here deserves further elaboration. See, among his many other pathologies, Yudkowsky has a phobia of death. Sounds innocuous enough, right? I mean, death is generally a kind of scary thing. Thing is, though, most people fear death, but they don't have a phobia of it. It doesn't dominate their every thought. Not so for Yudkowsky. Dude is obsessed with death and the avoidance thereof, to the point where he cannot comprehend why anyone might be even slightly OK with the idea of not living forever, and will label such opinions as 'deathist' and thus evil.

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet but I find it hilarious that this is a pretty spot-on description of Lord Voldemort.

E: dammit, beaten

made of bees
May 21, 2013
It would be kinda hilarious if a stereotypical right-wing rear end in a top hat called himself "Berkley" though.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think part of that was that it developed into a little sub community and there were people who never posted anywhere else and used it as sort of a general discussion thread.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Which one was Draven, again? He doesn't appear to be in the OP.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
With Deadpool it sorta makes sense, since one of his gimmicks is breaking the fourth wall. Still unnecessary, but mildly clever.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Yeah, their policy of 'we're not stuffy and boring, we're the *~fun~* wiki' sometimes has issues when talking about stereotypes, like with this hilarious pop culture reference page title.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
IIRC they do have an edit button, and Eddie disabled quotes because he considers breaking up a post and responding to it point-by-point to be trolling.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
is that why come he have no buttocks

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Fast Eddie wants his wiki to simultaneously be a serious informative site that people respect instead making fun of and a chill place where a bunch of friends have fun without a bunch of rules ruining their fun. He doesn't seem to see how those two goals might be in conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
It does, but I also know for a fact TVTropes has been around for more than seven years.

• Locked thread