Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The fact that several communities have formed that thinks that TvTropes is too restrained boggles the hell out of my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

It also makes you appreciate Fast Eddy a lot more if that's the kind of people he has to deal with

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Ask That Guy do the same fake falsetto scream that Doug Walker uses for every other character?

I haven't watched it in forever but no he doesn't. At least not nearly as frequently. It's a lot of "so edgy" humor though.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Alpacalips Now posted:

Do you know that TV Tropes does music, too? I looked up one of my favorite bands, the Queens of the Stone Age and found a troper joke.

I can just imagine some dork blurting this out when one of their songs comes on at a bar, and everyone around him falling silent.

Looked up one of my favorites, Electric Six:

quote:

Last Note Nightmare: "It Ain't Punk Rock" goes from a regular E6 song and into some sort of nightmarish industrial-ambient thing for a good one minute."

Here's the song if you can handle the nightmares. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3QveYlBHQk

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Libluini posted:

We have more then 7 billion people on this world, there can be a lot of broken ones purely by chance.

But back to this weird troper bullshit about writing tropes about pony books that didn't even exist back then. Will the tropers now rewrite that poo poo since there are now actual children's books about that weird pony adventurer, or will that dumb poo poo just stay there to confuse everyone actually reading the books?

Considering how accurate most trope pages are there won't be any need to change this one :v:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I may have that SAO image as my desktop background.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So Sword Arts Online is lovely fanfic that got popular by appealing to the collective id of a certain subset of society.

Well now I know what nerd 50 Shades of Grey looks like.

It's not actually a fanfic, just hosted there, I think?

It's really terribletastic though. Has anyone actually managed to do the trapped in an MMO bit well? I was going to check if there was a trope for that but it appears that there's not. Closest I could find was Trapped In Another World. :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Log Horizon is quite well-received and really digs into the social implications, so long as you don't mind infodumps, a slight lack of real conflict, and a lack of visual pop (plus the usual background radiation of Anime, though not to anywhere near SAO's extreme).

I heard that it was really boring and very un-good as well. Never checked it out for myself because of that.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Hammurabi posted:

.hack is pretty good. Though the protagonists in that franchise usually aren't trapped, except in .hack//Sign (which is pretty good IIRC). So I guess .hack//Sign is a good answer.

Follow up question, where the hell do I begin with .hack? I'm legitimately intrigued but I was lost as hell when I tried to watch one of the series.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's weird how the whole "trapped in a video game/mmo" plot seems to only happen in children's television and anime.

What are you talking about? They are clearly very adult and mature shows that are clearly not for children and-:tvtropes:

watho fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 12, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The 90's cult classic The Matrix subverts this trope by having the main characters be the only ones who are not stuck in the virtual world.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So my orson scott card example isn't really an example? Huh, my mistake. Actually now that I've thought about it some more, I think I do have a good example.

The film Grave of the Fireflies is rather explicitly described by the director isao takahata as not being an anti war film. That hasn't stopped people outside of japan from seeing the film as one.

Wait, it's not?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I'm vaguely remembering him saying something about how it was aimed at what he felt was a rather delinquent youth in Japan at the time it was made. Basically "stop bitching, you've no idea how good you've got it", though I could be misremembering.

Oh yeah, I got it mixed up. It's not an anti-war movie as it's a movie about how spoiled brats don't know how life was during the war or something.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

So death of the author is just interpretations that weren't intentional?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Basically, for the purpose of criticism, the author died the moment he finished his work.

That's a pretty good explanation, I still think that it's a stupid name for it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Swan Oat posted:

Luckily, there are no examples.

This changed my opinion on media and violence.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Stupid cliché? No! it's a conspiracy! :downs:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Doesn't that derive from a 4chan joke? I know I've seen .gifs from fanservicey anime with "plot" (boobs) and "backstory" (rear end) 'shopped in.

Not sure if it derived from 4chan but yeah, it's a play on people who say that they watch fanservice-y stuff "for the plot" by saying calling fanservice "plot". Anime fans think it's way funnier than it actually is.

Edit: there are no examples of anime, manga or fan fiction on the "read it for the articles" trope page.

watho fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 13, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm sure wikipedia has a ton of smut on it.

The page on "vagina" is the hottest poo poo ever, yo!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Now that it's November and NaNoWriMo is starting up we're probably going to see a lot more terrible troper... uhm... tfiction... and I for one can't wait!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

This thread feels... different... i think that im...

gay

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Sober posted:

first drafts are kinda low hanging fruit though

Most things written by tropers never even get to that point but we still make fun of it. :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

GBS 1.4 - Social Media 2.0 > TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: Now with 100% more emptyquotes!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Way too easy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's NaNoWriMo time!

How the gently caress do you only write 8000 words in one month? I can write that in two days, and I figure that's still on the slow side.

Let's see what this guy was writing....

So this guy basically wrote KickAss

...but with ninjas!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I still can't believe that people care about Sonic.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

BlueDude posted:

Indeed they do!

So edgy.

"There's a trope for not mentioning death but they do so several times in this cartoon, better put it on the list! :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Did anyone say TV Clops yet?

• Locked thread