Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
The rape in the butt thing is a stupid troper thing they do where they'll mash words that don't actually belong in the trope name into the trope name to make a circumstantially 'witty' trope.

It mostly serves as a way to shoehorn EVEN MORE TROPES into a page, because god knows the page about a literal snuff rape comic needs MORE TROPES.

The trope they're referring to doesn't even make sense to be put on the page it is. It's SUPPOSED to be about how in a lot of fiction, rape is only brought in when the author wants to make some grimdark happen and/or the fact that rape can sometimes be seen as 'even more evil' then other crimes by both the good guys and the bad guys. Why this trope has been shoehorned into a page about rape comics where the rapists never get punished at all is a mystery for the ages. Oh wait, :tvtropes:. In any event, what TVTropes usually ends up actually doing with it is talking about how all these murderers and madmen and just plain evil dudes (in both fiction and reality) are actually secretly good/noble and deserve our sympathy because, you see, they ALSO hate rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

Scrolled to the bottom, found this:

I don't think I will like any of those.

So i just hit some random page and got pretty much the same "you may like" stuff. There's a 'promoted content by taboola' bit, which makes me assume it's linking you to the pages that are clicked on the most sitewide.

Thus given troper proclivities, you get linked to pages about bath scenes (complete with gratuitous :japan: wording!), boob growth, lesbians, and how fantasy races get horny via tail/ear rubing or whatever.

But don't worry, they got rid of the sex stuff!

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have to ask: are the recommended pages on TvTropes (the ones at the bottom of a given page) based on overall site popularity? Because you go digging for sperg material, and every single recommendation sends you to a fetish trope or a Getting Crap Past the Radar page.

Yes they are. They're generated by Taboola, some sort of search/ad engine, so yes, the pages you see linked are the most popular pages searched.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
I can honestly say I don't understand the popularity of TGWTG. He's just...bland, I suppose. What's his pizazz? Where's his appeal? Why do Tropers insist upon writing an entire alternate fanfiction universe which involves the entire cast of an internet vlogger site all becoming prostitutes?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Annointed posted:

I hate you. No, I'm just, agh :suicide:.

There was a discussion in the XCOM thread about a game where XCOM fights the forces of hell. Is this it?

Even though I find it funny XCOM wouldn't just gut the talking quadrepeds seeing as that's what XCOM does.

But nope, everything is for bronies. Ponies for the gods of madness bronies.

"Commander! We've got some new alium here! Looks like it tried to disguise itself as a horse but hosed up the colors! It's tryin' to talk to us, what do we do?"

"Stun it and leave it to Vahlen's mercies. Or just riddle it with holes, same as usual."

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

to be completely clear, this is all utterly made up, right?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Annointed posted:

Purple Prose: A term used for passages that are extravagant for it's own sake. How can TvTropes take a simple negative term and twist it around?

Of course, by doing just that? What better example than do so do themselves. It's not like anyone just wants a clear cut answer for your definition, like say Wikipedia.

But you see, a trope article that CAN be irritatingly self-demonstrating MUST of COURSE be that way! How else would you UNDERSTAND it otherwise?

See: Tvtropes page on the joker, deadpool, several other comic characters.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

JosephWongKS posted:

Below is the chapter with katana-wielding aliens discussing honor in a field of cherry blossom trees, as mentioned by WeaponGradeSadness above.

the sad thing is, going off of

Hammurabi posted:

trying to write a novel as an anime, is a really terrible idea (especially if you're as hilariously bad at writing as most tropers).

if he'd just written something like "They sat together, surrounded by the blossoms. A light rain fell." and left it at that, it would have perfectly conveyed the message and image of 'stoic warriors yadda yadda beauty nature yadda yadaa".

But tropers ALWAYS think MORE WORDS is BETTER WRITING.

fake edit: The words WeaponGradeSadness, put together and capitalized like that, brought flashbacks of how fast eddie's malignant tumor of coding has tropes be written for hotlinking. It even sounds like a trope.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

"40mm...Particle bolt"

Things like this irk my weapons autism. A "particle bolt" sounds like some sorta of energy bolt.

Meanwhile a "40mm" is an explosive round, utilized either as an actual grenade or as simply an explosive round fired from a cannon, notably the bofors.

Unless "particle bolt" means "solid round sheathed in plasma" or something scifi, in which case why is it such a large solid round instead of something small like a 3 or 4mm slug?

Sorry for the :spergin: but it just gets me mad when milfic (scifi milfic in particuluar) throws terms around that sound cool but dont make sense used together.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Triskelli posted:

This came up in a Civ LP, but I still don't get why Nobunaga is so often portrayed as Basically Literally Satan.

Oda Nobunaga was the second son of a military governor. The man basically rose from being the second son of a minor branch of a minor family ruling a minor province for their overlords (the ashikura) to declaring gently caress YOU WAR on all of japan in an attempt to unite it. He was a cruel hard man even for his time, and by all accounts had little use for many of the more idiotic aspects of the samurai, such as the (frankly ridiculous) honor system. Imagine you are a country that absolutely idolizes those of high birth and values honor and adherence to tradition above all else. Then suddenly out of absolutely nowhere some podunk hick starts beating the poo poo out of his betters and going around lopping people head's off and taking their land for no other reason then "I am the one who should rule because i have the ambition to do so." (for that last part, keep in mind Japan, like china, held deeply to the idea of "divine right", that the Emperor ruled because his bloodline was literally descended from the gods)

Naturally that's a huge oversimplification, but he spat all over everything the Japanese held dear at the time and largely still do. (Using foreign weapons?? using peasants as a mainstay of your army? Unheard of. Disgraceful.)

So he was demonized at the time, and for a long time afterwards. Then during the Meiji period, people started looking back and going "Nobunaga? Totally could have beaten all these foriegners! What a hero! What a guy!" This continued well into the showa period, and hence the image of Oda as an evil satan (but also a complete asskicker) pervaded the Japanese national consicousness.

Beyond anime depictions and such, He's also become a sort of idolized figure for the Far-right Japanese nationalists. You know, the ones who think WWII japan was completely innocent and awesome.

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 10, 2014

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Swan Oat posted:

Have any tropers weighed in on JK Rowling's donation to the Better Together campaign to vote no on Scotland's upcoming independence referendum?

I'm not sure whether Tropers will care, given it doesn't involve GRORIOUS NIPPON. If they do, they'll probably support her and her views because of who she is, rather then looking at the issue itself.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

purple_sammich posted:

Hey thread, was there a troper who seriously overused the word quip in a story of theirs? Like almost every time someone spoke it was like "he quipped", "she quipped playfully", etc?

there's been plenty that tried desperately (and hilariously) to avoid using the word 'said' ever, but i can't recall anyone who just used 'quipped'. its such a dumb word anyways. quip. quip. quip. what is a 'quip' anyways? I know the troper definition is 'said something funny and cool in a baddass one liner way' but was IS an actual "quip"?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

Was ejaculated on that list? Because I love that synonym whenever I read it in a Sherlock Holmes story or something Wells wrote. Also I am mentally 12.

"We can't use magic?" Ron ejaculated loudly.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

What the actual gently caress. Who plays a kids game about just living in a town and comes away with GRIMDARK STRUGGLE AGAINST THE OPPRESSORS.

Tvtropes Pleads the Fifth: Nothing can be Nice, Ever

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Annointed posted:

Why can't they say "Characters with morality incomprehensible to our own"?

TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: Writing is Hard

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

isn't this the one written by a cult leader?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cornwind Evil posted:

I figure it's a combination of several reasons.

1) General nerd/shut-in misogyny.
2) Lack of social skills making it difficult to emphasize with others.
3) Lack of social skills meaning a lack of social interaction, which means all sexual urges must be self-gratified, which renders one vulnerable to overstimulation and requiring ranging 'further afield' when it comes to aids in said self-gratification (I think this is also why you have so many people reading sexual meanings into so many inappropriate things: they have no proper release valve).
4) That 'nerd sexual fallacy' that the more exotic your sexual kinks are (and by extent how UNDERSTANDING and ACCEPTING and WORLDLY you are), the 'better' you are, not understanding that stuff like 'rape fantasies' is just dressed up rough sex. I honestly do not think any person truly WANTS to be raped, or is turned on by the concept, but that's a wholly different can of worms.
5) The hugbox making it so no one says 'Hey man, that's not right', or 'Hey buddy, you shouldn't talk about that', so people have their sense of shame slowly stripped away by being in the comforting echo chamber.

There's also lazy writing shorthand of rape being a sign of how evil the villain is/how another villain isn't so evil/why is woman is evil/why she's a thunderdere or whatever. It's a false maturity people seize onto for their egos.

That poo poo about how writers try to redeem their villains by saying "Look, they HATE rapists too!" and having them kill a rapist or something is weak writing. If you want me to sympathize/empathize with a villain, you shouldn't have to have them kill some other scum. Scum A killing Scum B doesn't make Scum A good just because Scum B is worse then Scum A.

But of course BEEP BOOP tropers see it as a math equation or some poo poo where by committing evil against evil you cancel into good or something. loving Tropers.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Soulcleaver posted:

I think I figured out the formula here:

1 wrong
+ 1 wrong
-----------
   1 right

:tvtropes: :tvtropes: :tvtropes:

I went to that link out and was once again astounded at just how much intrasite hotlinking tropers do. They even have a guideline against doing it but no one listens so every page is nothing but hyperlinks to yet another trope.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Testekill posted:

Speaking of the word badass, guess how many times it is used on the characters page for Hells Kitchen.

HINT: It's used more times then there has been competitors.

55 times. This is, keep in mind, counting ONLY the times I saw the "Badass" trope/hotlink itself used for a character, no permutations or ANY OTHER Tropes with "Badass" in the name, simply the original "Badass" trope, and not counting simple uses of the word in a non-hotlink form.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The only Bibeau thing that ever needs to be posted.

Is that an SCP thing? It looks like it.

What is with Tropers and muthafuckin' SCP? That poo poo used to be a legit 2spooky ARG and then tropers got their grubby infectious hands on it.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
I think TvTropes is all the worse because unlike other terrible examples of neckbeardy weeaboo insanity, you can't look at and think "But maybe it's all a joke, maybe someone is taking the piss". With TvTropes, there's just enough depressing realism to assure you that yes, there truly are people in this world who are obsessed with turning every last thing they have ever laid eyes on into a DARK MATURE SEXY version of itself, and/or documenting every last conceivabley sexual thing that every occured in any media they have consumed.

Speaking of Tropers trying to make poo poo edgy and DARK, isn't there a quote about it?

"Only children wish for adulthood, adults revel in childishness" or something? Basically saying "Only immature people want things to be mature and dark"

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Whoever told you that is a horrible filthy liar. SAO starts as masturbatory wish-fulfilment with a whole bunch of different creepy subtexts, and then the second arc kicks in and things get really ugly. At one point, the villain literally drinks the topless heroine's tears from her face as a 'gently caress you' to the hero.

But that's the best part of the entire show.

Nothing shows pure unadulterated cartoon villainy then literally drinking the tears from a girls face with half-nudity for added creepiness.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

mmm yes my fetish for watching girls get punched in the stomach is so very deep yes this isn't years of rejection manifesting itself at all

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Krotera posted:

So it's literally "you have to ignore how human relationships work and recast everything in terms of hosed-up gender roles to appreciate this genre," and that's why they're calling it art?

More like "You must view women as arrogant cunts who all need to be raped/beat down/shown their place in order to 'get' this fetish"

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Mad Hamish posted:

I did some unpleasant research and the whole chapter can be found here:

https://m.fanfiction.net/s/8539671/1/Sword-Art-Online-Extra-Chapter-16-5

What I found online claims that even though this is on fanfiction. net it's legit. I can at least say that the guy who wrote it has clearly never been near a real woman, let alone had sex with one, but let's be honest. We all knew that already.

glopping

It's legit. SAO in its entirety was written by an 18(19?) year old who submitted it to a online writing competition and it caught the eye of some publisher who (rightly) thought "stupid idiot manchildren will eat this up!"

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

watho posted:

It's not actually a fanfic, just hosted there, I think?

It's really terribletastic though. Has anyone actually managed to do the trapped in an MMO bit well? I was going to check if there was a trope for that but it appears that there's not. Closest I could find was Trapped In Another World. :shrug:

the original work (chapter 16.5) was part of the LN itself but the editors told the author to take it out since it was too explicit. He later hosted it on his own website, and folks transcribed it to FF.net.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I tried watching .hack sign in middle school when a friend recommended it and it was really boring and nothing ever happened in it.

Huh

Not pictured: individual Recap pages for like 2/3 of the episodes; a getting crap past the radar page

They had a very mature relationship without any of that emotional clinginess

Truly meaningless sex is the epitome of maturity telos of eros etc etc BEEP BOOP JENNY WHY WOULDNT YOU gently caress MEEEEEEEEEE

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Is that what you see when you look at the talk page? Because what I see is this:

Getting off on watching women being beaten: a complex and nuanced mental exercise.

In the page's edit history, though, we see the TvTropes staff hard at work making their japanese misogynistic violence fetish page less creepy. TvTropes admin FastEddie removes the line "Please do not list any examples. This page is Squicky enough as it is," while TvTropes moderator removes the potholed link to the Humans Are Bastards page for not being objective.

I said it last time and I'll say it again

"mmmmm yes my fetish for seeing girls punched in the stomach is so very deep it isn't about rejection issues at all WHY DIDNT YOU gently caress ME BACK IN HIGHSCHOOL JENNY WHY

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Let's be honest, this is the only one you needed to post.

Oh my god that is basicaly the entire site in a nutshell.

TVTropes: Real Life is hard (also RAPE)

HapiMerchant fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 18, 2014

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Razorwired posted:

Yes, and somehow I knew it was going to be the fic in those images before I expanded them.

For those that weren't here. It's like Groundhog Day. Except with ninjas that literally start raping other ninjas so they can learn their ninja tricks.

Right, I'd forgotten someone like Lionheart would be idolized by Tropers. We are talking about THAT groundhog day fic right?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: Yet Another Gamergate Thread Now

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

Oh so it's like esprit d'escalier but ++dumb

Also tropers should be kept in a fridge

Well, the concept of "fridge Horror"; That you read a story/watch a show/play a game, and all is well, and then as you're off doing something else afterwords you suddenly realize something very unsettling about the book/show/game, isn't a dumb thing itself.

It's just tropers think any made up grimderk bullshit they inject into the show to make it SO DEEP is "fridge horror".

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

"Memetic Sex God" is basically what happens when you have a fandom that thinks sex jokes are funny, and then they start taking them seriously. So, basically, any internet fandom.

It's really weird how, after a while, fandom comes up with its own interpretations of shows- accepted by many different people- that a regular viewer of a show wouldn't even begin to imagine.

It's like a law of the internet. Fandoms grow and develop until a certain critical mass is reached, after which it's nothing but Sex. After this point is reached, fandoms will often begin to seek others with which to merge.

I call it the Wholock Law.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Nippon koku

Well "Nippon" is just the japanese word FOR japan so whatever

"Koku" is literally a measurement of rice (3.6 Koku is 1 cubic metre). It's a term used as part of an archaic tax system from the japanese feudal period. Why is it being used as part of a name for a country?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Red Metal posted:

I looked it up, it's the Holy Christian Kingdom of North America.

I wanna know what the Holy Christian kingdom thinks of half-cat half-horse abominations against the Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Ninjasaurus posted:

:stare:

Cross Ange is some hosed UP poo poo.

e: Also, that Internet Critics thread seems really insufferable.

I love it when an internet celebrity comes into a community and is immediately swamped with adoration and blind devotion merely because of fame. or gender. or both. It's even worse when what they're saying is correct, because I have to fight my instinctive hatred of the person to see into their actual post quality.

• Locked thread