Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Monkey Man posted:

This is Yudkowsky's OKCupid profile:

If you think for one second that his dumb story by itself somehow isn't a never-ending fountain of entertainment, and therefore people need to see his stupid dating profile, then you're a drat fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

Do you know there was a time when nonconsensual sex was illegal?"

quote:

Akon's mouth hung open. "You were that prude?"

I'm done. I'm done, I'm done, I am done, I am done, I am done done done done done. Burn TvTropes to the loving ground and salt the earth.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

I could tear into this with critique, but "show don't tell, you incompetent shitstain" would cover most of the problems.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Washout Tom is a writer in the same way that he's a soldier.

By TvTropes logic, all you need to be a writer is the ability to put words together into sentences. By the same logic, anyone who can hold a pencil is an artist, and anyone who can sit in the front seat of a car can drive.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

DaveWoo posted:

Hey now, that's unfair. By TvTropes logic, all you need to be a writer is the ability to put Tropes together into sentences.

Badass Longcoat Harmless Freezing Camp Straight, Action Bomb Reality Bleed This Is No Time For Knitting. Black Widow Plotline Death Two For One Show? Real Robot Genre Villain-Based Franchise... Speed Echoes.

"A triumph, eight stars and three thumbs up" - TvTropes.org

"What in the poo poo" - New York Times

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"A lot more professional and tropey looking."

Besides the fact that these two descriptors seem to be completely at odds with each other, how terrible is the phrase "tropey looking"? Sounds like some kind of Civil War era horse disease, like some prospector-bearded old timer is diagnosing his favourite nag as "lookin' a little tropey around the mouth".

Is there no part of writing that tropers can't sully?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Do you know how much trouble you have to go through to kill off named characters? You need to name them! And you need to do it before they die, otherwise people will think you're up to something. It's totally gruelling work.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Worldbuilding is really fun. However, like a lot of fun things, it is really difficult to get right. A bit like cooking: you can have a great deal of fun throwing ingredients into pans, frying and boiling and baking, but if you're just putting in anything without much attention, you're probably not going to end up with something edible.

If you want to extend the cooking metaphor, since it's a rather good one, then good worldbuilding is like the finest cuisine. In the kitchens it's frantic and a whirlwind of activity, but when the plate comes out it's artistically arranged and has nothing to signify that behind the scenes there is a huge team meticulously working their given jobs.

The reader does not need vast wikipedia-style infodumps so they can be aware just how much effort you put into coming up with some aspect of the world. They don't need walking exposition machines to say things like "This could be the biggest conflict seen on this continent since the Jolly Awful War back in 1844 to 1849." Especially not if someone then adds in "Good thing you specified this continent, as the Especially Large War (1876 to 1891) could be considered much larger, but took place on a different continent."

Readers like a slow drip-feed of information in between the important parts: the narrative itself. Tropers don't get this, because they're operating under the delusion that what they're creating with their tepid worldbuilding is just so interesting people are going to want to hear all about it.

And I say it's tepid because tropers are generally stuck in the mindset that worldbuilding requires you to go "full Tolkein" and talk about ancient wars and kings and big sweeping events that change the course of human events. Also elves. Or space-elves.

If you look at any troper's worldbuilding I will guarantee you it will be 90% about the kind of poo poo you hear about in video game backstories. Grand, sweeping stuff that can basically be summed up as "there was some serious beef, they fought it out, poo poo's still iffy".

Go find some troper-grade writer doing "worldbuilding" about a fantasy world and if it doesn't use "gold coins" as the principle means of currency, I'll be surprised. Money is literally one of the greatest driving forces in human history, but in troperland it'd be too dang difficult to cover an interesting topic like that. Far easier to talk about big dramatic wars where big armies of armoured douchebags slam into each other repeatedly until someone manages to win.

And they're never wars about actual human topics either. Nobody in troper stories ever seems to go to war to install a puppet government, or to avenge a slight against them, or kill a bunch of stupid birds. It's all fate-of-the-world, evil-guy-raises-evil-army, aliens-invading-for-no-reason poo poo.

Honestly the principle reason tropers love worldbuilding, and the reason they're so loving bad at it, is because it allows them to throw tropes together without worrying about that pesky narrative. Since there's no actual writing going on, they can just sit back and post post post on the forums about how many lovely loving tropes they're packing into their "upcoming project".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ArchangeI posted:

I'm not sure replacing "A brief history of the house of Not-Stark, from its founder to the present day" with "A brief treatise on the effects of lead-to-gold alchemy on the monetary market, with three graphs and five tables" is going to fix the basic problems tropers have with world building. If it did, then Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality would be the work to aspire to. It is the execution that is lacking, not the topic.

That's not what I was suggesting at all, although I am laughing so hard if you think that tropers would bother doing any kind of research that doesn't involve watching lovely anime or Joss Whedon shows.

Worldbuilding is about creating a documented record that you, as the author, can rely on to not only keep you out of continuity errors and plot holes, but also give your work the feel of a more "real" setting. That involves getting down and looking at the little details, which tropers ignore because they're too involved with trying to pen big sweeping epics. Or just talk about big sweeping epics without ever actually writing a Goddamn word of narrative.

If your story has people throwing down solid gold coins for a fuckin' Happy Meal, then you've clearly not put any thought whatsoever into the economy of your world. You've put all your effort into thinking about the "important" stuff, like how Dread Lord Nigel was slain at the Battle of Smogbluster, and nothing about the ubiquitous details that will be turning up all the time in your story.

Paying for everything in gold is unrealistic to the point where not even Dungeons & Dragons will resort to that poo poo. Readers will think "how the gently caress is this dude carrying around what must amount to six tons of bullion in his pocket" and they will be wholly justified in caring more about that than the last words of Dread Lord Nigel as he cursed the Jockstrap of Justice that had pierced his invincible armour.

That's why tropers fail at worldbuilding. They have no loving clue what worldbuilding is about. They think it needs to be a huge-rear end article on the backstory of why some jerk needs to collect the Nine Rubies of Power. Or a huge explanation on why the world is filled with little anime elves who only look underage and really they're 10,000 years old I swear.

Putting thought into money is fun. Coming up with neat little details is fun. But it's fun like winning a tennis match is fun: you have to put in the hours and hours of practice to get any good at it. Tropers don't have the patience to learn how to write, which is why they're tropers, and why their worldbuilding is pure poo poo.

Trust me when I say that the little, seemingly-inconsequential details of a world are often the most interesting to find out about, and the most interesting to create in the first place. But no troper is ever going to figure that out because there's no way to understand real writing just by dissecting anime and fanfiction.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I can't claim to have good taste in anything, but I liked the description of the alarm clock as "obstinate". The rest of it was boring, though.

Describing an alarm clock as obstinate, stubborn, unyielding, persistent, or any other one-word synonyms for being an uncaring machine carrying out its duty is a ridiculously common occurrence in fiction.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they'd taken that part from somewhere else.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sunsetaware posted:

But don't think I'm praising you or anything.

In other words,

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard that fantasy authors are generally more liberal while science-fiction writers tend to be more conservative, but I've not seen any particular evidence for either assertion myself.

Not always. Charles Stross is a science fiction writer who is incredibly scathing of right-wing politics and a lot of his futures envision a more free and open society, to the point where he has some far-future stuff where energy-to-matter machines have eliminated want and also most forms of government on Earth.

Terry Goodkind, a fantasy author, is also a raging objectivist and in his "Sword of Truth" series of books, he has the protagonist butcher a bunch of pacifist protesters who were "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity." There's also a part with an evil chicken, but the less said about that the better.

Honestly it might be a case where the fantasy authors (with some exceptions, like Goodkind) can hide their conservative leanings more easily when they're writing about kings and wars. But from my experience, most authors in general tend to be kind of liberal in their outlook.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Install Windows posted:

Well you do have the perfectly valid excuse that you were a literal child who didn't know any better.

But according to Xanth, children are perfectly capable of making rational decisi:suicide:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Razorwired posted:

From what I hear the entire Dresden Files series started because Butcher took a bet from his Creative Writing prof. Butcher claimed that he could write the most formulaic, predictable fantasy drek he could think of and sell it.

Butcher's stuff is all about stupid bets. He made a bet with someone that he could write a story out of any two concepts they named, so they said "Pokemon" and "Lost Roman legion".

There are now six books of the Codex Alera series.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

Imagine a wild west world where lead, or more accurately lead bullets, are illegal. Why? Because there is a safer option: Mercyium. A metal which has the odd property of going though air and other inaminate perfectly normaly, but cannot penertrate biological material very well, due to a bizzare chemical reaction.

This would be the worst idea ever and it doesn't take a moment of thought to figure that out, which is apparently more than this troper could spare. If anyone misses their shot, it's just going to keep going through walls and dirt and so forth until it hits something living. So these bullets are way less safe than lead.

quote:

Most things in the Zaran il Legio world, from internal heating to flying ships, runs on a phlebotinum called soul stones. Soul stones are made from crystallized soulstuff. The ethical implications of using someones life-essence to power your car is not really explored.

This is just loving lazy. "Bloo bloo bloo, ethical implications aren't fun to write about, I just want wacky pseudoscience, a bloo" wants to make me punch this guy.

None of this is world building, it's just a big ol' pile of mutual masturbation as they tell each other how super clever they are for trope tropey troping troper tropely tropes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Nah, it just goes through them "normally"; the important part is that it can't kill people. The real question is why anyone would want "safe" bullets in the first place. I wonder if maybe it's because the author wanted cool machine gun battles between vehicles without worrying about injuring his protagohghalgkhalgh;g;saklgah;lgd this is so goddamn stupid

Oh, well, that's somehow even stupider. At least magic phasing bullets, while a severely terrible idea, would be interesting as a kind of secret assassin's tool. But turning gunfights into steampunk paintball matches? That's just kind of sad.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It is possible for a planet to spin on its side, in fact Uranus does. It's just that this author seems too stupid to understand the implications of that.

It comes of only looking at maps and not globes. You start thinking that north and south are just directions like east and west, on this flat rectangle of oceans and land. Whereas really you have to understand the whole concept of a sphere rotating.

Maybe tropers can't think in three dimensions. I mean they have a lot of trouble understanding character depth, that much is obvious :v:

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Or the author might want to simply rotate the map of Earth and let the planet have the same spin, so that means Ecuador would be under an ice cap while Antarctica is a tropical rainforest.

Haha, no, because that's an interesting idea, and tropers don't even have ideas, let alone interesting ones.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Djeser posted:

What do tropers not really understand?

Sports!

Women!

Sports and women together are, of course, twice as baffling.

Besides the terrible content of the text itself, you have to wonder why these are the troper's "favourite lines" - because they're poo poo. They're not snappy or witty in any way, especially since the first one has a solid paragraph of "boo sports" that has all the grace of a technical manual. Although honestly that's doing a disservice to technical manuals.

Considering what a dense turd of over-dialogued prose those quotes are, I'd think that it's just their "favourite lines" because they get to be a smug prick about sports because heh sports

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

DStecks posted:

Early Installment Weirdness just means that the early episodes have a substantial difference from the rhythm the show would grow into. Walter White having hair for the first couple episodes of Breaking Bad, for example.

That's not really a substantial difference, though. That's more the side-effects of chemotherapy. So really it fits in perfectly well with the tone of the show, especially as the loss of the hair is part of the start of the transformation from regular high school science teacher into remorseless monster.

A better example might be the first season of Parks & Rec, as compared to every other season.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Razorwired posted:

I thought NaNoWriMo people were just making GBS threads out 50k words so they could say "Well, you know, I'm also an author :smug:" when they met someone who was trying to get published/had a job writing/had a regular place where they presented things.

NaNoWriMo was started as a way for struggling writers to do good on their projects by making it a community thing. You'd have encouragement from your peers, a tangible goal, and it was all done at the rear end-end of the year where it's cold and miserable and nobody wants to do anything.

Of course because it was something you could "win", that meant that certain people started doing their best to beat everyone else, rather than being friendly and helpful about it. To them it was less about having motivation and more about being able to boast smugly. That's not everyone, however, there are people who still do NaNo every year with the intent of actually being a positive member of the community. But once the tropers got their greasy hooks in, well.

Tropers might seem amazingly productive insofar as they can churn out 50,000+ words in 30 days, but you have to remember they're not really writing. There's no planned narrative, there's no definite resolution in mind, and half the time they have no solid characterization going on either. They just sit down and type and type, meaningless words falling out of their skull until the deadline looms and they freak out trying to think of an ending.

If I just sat down and hammered the keyboard with only a vague idea propelling me forward, I could probably do 50,000 words in a single day. But every single last one of those words would be poo poo and I'd be a terrible person for doing it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Blastoise posted:

I wasn't expecting much, but you'd think tropers would at least try and make a story about a crime-ridden city run by gangsters interesting, but instead we get the first chapter told from the point of view of a very boring narrator who wants to make sure that we know he's boring.

It's pretty much anime again. A lot of the crappier anime has boring protagonists with no real distinguishing features of any kind, so it's easier for the audience to insert themselves in.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
European swords were typically much, much better than anything made... anywhere else, really. Europe had all the good resources, after all. But then swords fell to the wayside once gunpowder showed up, being all flashy and explosive. There was no need to continue in the proud tradition of stabbing people when the newer tradition of shooting people was so much more effective because you could do it from all the way over there.

There are methods of creating weapons, and methods of using weapons, which have been lost for so long because the general consensus at the time in history was "why the gently caress do we need this old poo poo now we can do it better?" People are trying to rediscover how the gently caress people did things, sometimes with incredible results.

Katanas have lasted as an icon 'cause Japan is crazy nuts about tradition and loves idolizing the past. Well, their past. So they show up in movies and animes being the ~king of all swords~ much in the same way that, for instance, American movies and tv shows might praise the wild west. That romanticization of the katana gets picked up on by Western anime fans who don't seem to get that it's as fictional as the travelling gunslinger righting wrongs with a six-gun on his hip, and they start thinking that the katana really was this amazing weapon of unparalleled grace and construction.

To put it bluntly, a lot of nerds are idiots who know nothing about history.

edit: beaten like a katana in a swordfight

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Metal Loaf posted:

Some time ago there was a TV Tropes thread speculating about what would happen in the event of a supervolcanic eruption (I'm guessing Yellowstone), and this particular troper showed up to explain how Argentina would be conquered by the British staging from the Falklands.

Speaking as a British person, why would that happen? I'm pretty sure the population of this country would be supremely unhappy if our government decided that it needed to send all our armed forces into another democratic nation, even one we're not on the best of terms with. Whatever resources Argentina has would be inconsequential compared to the effort it would take to fully subdue the entire nation.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Flesnolk posted:

To be fair, the fact the Soviets did literally all the work that actually accomplished anything in the war is something that gets brushed under the rug a lot. Lots of people don't realise their real role until they do a lot of reading into the topic.

I had a Norwegian friend who has some blowhard right-winger pull the "we saved your asses in WWII" schtick on him in an argument, so he said "actually for my country it was the Soviets, so we owe it all to the communists". Because this isn't shit_that_didnt_happen.txt, the response from the right-winger was to unleash some choice slurs and say that socialists don't understand poo poo about the real world, or something along those lines.

But it was a pretty good burn at the time :shobon:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's actually kind of amusing how insightful this thread is, considering we're discovering new and interesting ways that TvTropes is completely terrible at what we apparently manage to do while going off-topic.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, he's had traction for a while. I think part of it is his significant contribution to early sci-fi as well as horror. His work was somewhat more unique than that of some of his pulp brethren. He isn't the only one from his set to stick around, though - Howard was also very enduring and influential, though his popularity seems to have dropped off after he was tarred with Eighties campery. Also, his racism was less couched in metaphor and more fundamentally built into his work than Lovecraft's, which may not have helped. Yes, Lovecraft was explicitly racist as well, but his was less frequent and more ignorable than Howard's (which tells you a lot about Howard, really).

:psyduck:

I think you got those two mixed up there. Lovecraft's racism was incredibly overt in many of the stories he wrote, to the point where he describes black people in the same manner he describes nightmarish horrors from the primordial ocean.

Howard was about as publicly racist as average for a Texan living in the early 20th century, which seems pretty racist by modern standards. He and Lovecraft exchanged letters, being contemporary writers of pulp stories, but Lovecraft's correspondence with Howard went a ways toward making Howard less of a racist because of how shockingly bigoted Lovecraft was.

Lovecraft was super duper hardcore racist and unafraid to show it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MizPiz posted:

Can I get a selection of Lovecraft's more blatant forms of racism? I'd especially love to see where "On the Creation of Niggers" was introduced and fits into the mythos.

Here's a paragraph from Herbert West: Reanimator.

quote:

The match had been between Kid O’Brien -- a lubberly and now quaking youth with a most un-Hibernian hooked nose -- and Buck Robinson, "The Harlem Smoke." The negro had been knocked out, and a moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon. The body must have looked even worse in life -- but the world holds many ugly things. Fear was upon the whole pitiful crowd, for they did not know what the law would exact of them if the affair were not hushed up; and they were grateful when West, in spite of my involuntary shudders, offered to get rid of the thing quietly -- for a purpose I knew too well.

And here's a couple of brief quotes from outside of his fiction work.

quote:

The negro is fundamentally the biological inferior of all White and even Mongolian races, and the Northern people must occasionally be reminded of the danger which they incur in admitting him too freely to the privileges of society and government.

quote:

Of the complete biological inferiority of the negro there can be no question—he has anatomical features consistently varying from those of other stocks, & always in the direction of the lower primates . . . Equally inferior—& perhaps even more so—is the Australian black stock, which differs widely from the real negro . . .

Anyone who says Lovecraft was less racist that Robert E. Howard, whose major oddity was that he had a disdain for civilization and constantly daydreamed about a semi-mythical time when men were all mighty-thewed barbarians carving their way through the untamed wilderness, knows poo poo-all about both men.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Howard hated fascism, actually.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Darth Walrus posted:

Which seems to have been more a result of his 'pick a side like you're watching a football match' approach to international relations than of any significant ideological difference. The Hyborian Age, his essay on the setting of the Conan books, makes his opinions on history explicit, and they're pretty much identical to early fascism, with 'barbarism', the best of the three states of society (the other two being civilisation, which is effete and decadent, and savagery, which is bestial and inhuman), being the myth-ideal of a fascist society.

Oh, sure, I'm not denying he had some weird ideas about human nature, but when it comes to the racism stakes, Lovecraft is ahead by miles. Lovecraft didn't just hate the "lower races", he was actively terrified by them. A number of his stories cover his exotic and horror-drenched interpretation of the terrors of race mixing, equating the idea of mixed-race partnerships with unnatural fish-bestiality.

However because he was also terrified of the ocean, death, the colour yellow - to name but a few of the things that spooked him - he wrote about those too. Which doesn't mean that all his lovely writing about how terrifying and disgusting black people are magically disappears and doesn't count. He just had a lot of phobias that he felt needed to be explained to the public at large.

Was Howard a racist? Yes. Of course he was. He was from Texas, he was white, he lived and died in the era between emancipation and civil rights... just by that alone he was going to be a overt racist his whole life. But Hell, the only difference between him and a lot of people around now is that these days it's all veiled underneath terms like "urban" and "welfare queen". And somehow we manage to tolerate the continued existence of Fox News.

But thinking that Lovecraft was somehow more "in control" of his racism because he didn't make every horror story the words "BLACK PEOPLE EXIST" in big letters and expect people to jump in fright, that's just wishful thinking.

He was imaginative when it came to horror, he wrote some pretty spooky stories (and some pretty loving terrible ones too), but that doesn't change the fact that he was super racist. That's like saying that Orson Scott Card isn't hideously homophobic because not every moment of Ender's Game is talking about how icky gay people are.

Enjoy Lovecraft's work, but don't pretend that he's somehow more noble than Howard (or anyone at all) in any way.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm not arguing Lovecraft's more noble, though. I'm arguing he's more marketable, because his racism is more usually couched in metaphor and allegory rather than fascist exultation in the literal slaughter of subhuman black people, and because it isn't automatically central to the most popular themes of his work (we are tiny insects in a vast, uncaring universe holy gently caress). Remember, this whole thing was about why he endured where other pulp writers didn't.

Lovecraft is more marketable because his universe, his "ideas" about elder gods and whatnot, went public domain before he died. Other writers took his concepts and wrote about them. Howard himself wrote one of the better pieces of Lovecraftian horror, The God in the Bowl.

It's the public domain that keeps things alive. Anyone can make movies or books or comics about Dracula, so everyone knows Dracula. Likewise characters like Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein and his monster, and stories like The War of the Worlds.

People looked at the Lovecraftian mythos and saw interesting ideas that they could expand upon. Some were more successful than others, but being part of this shared universe was appealing to many writers. Either because you had some interesting material to work with, or because you were guaranteed an audience.

Mind you, while "lovecraftian" is now essentially a dictionary term, don't count out Howard. He basically single-handedly invented the sword-and-sorcery genre, which has influenced countless stories for years after his death, and was one of the primary inspirations for Dungeons & Dragons, which started its own movement in turn.

Howard isn't "less marketable" than Lovecraft, he's just less visible.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Antivehicular posted:

You'd be amazed how many guys out there who claim to love storytelling and want to be writers don't read. Even public-domain short stories are a lot to ask from some of these people.

They don't have time to read, man, they have all these amazing worlds to create! Who cares about technical skill and the ability to create a functioning narrative that isn't just a retread of their favourite anime's plot? Amazing worlds!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Emulating Poe or Dunsany takes effort. Emulating - sorry, "emulating" - Lovecraft requires tentacles and for you to keep saying "non-Euclidean" for everything.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Anticheese posted:

Cyclopean.

Squamous.

(Nobody on TvTropes know what it means.)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Testekill posted:

Question!

Why is a guy named Cowgirl? That's the first thing that jumped out at me and I can't get past it.

Because it's a superhero story and therefore the hero's evil counterpart from the backwards dimension (where all heroes are villains and vice versa) can be Reverse Cowgirl.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

Badass Boast: "So, Sir Rinkaku, you don't know who I am. You lead an intelligence division of the New Ephas Abjuration, and you do not know who your enemy is. Rebuild your pitiful group from the ground up. Fire or execute the sewage occupying the lower level jobs, and replace the drivel in the high positions. I myself cannot bother to destroy you. I'd rather fight a rival god than crush a worm under my boot."

Wow such a badass line how incredible I'm compelled and interested in this exciting new character

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Metal Loaf posted:

That line reads kinda like an anime fansub.

Honestly? It doesn't. Anime, even lovely anime, is typically written by someone who knows what the gently caress they're doing. This line reads like someone's idiotic idea of what would sound badass in an anime. It is levels removed from actual anime, that's how loving bad it is.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
There's only one solution for the BBT laugh track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyx6nWdFas

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

MinistryofLard posted:

There is no such thing as inspiration or influence - there is only literal, fanfiction.

This makes me so annoyed, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that tropers are fundamentally broken.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

quote:

This troper took a few levels when, after years of being a Woobie so pitiful Shinji would say what the heck is wrong with you, I had enough of a girl I liked always going for this tall, blond guy. When they were talking right in front of me in the street and holding arms and talking and all that, I said, "Shut. The. Hell. Up." The boy looks around and walks over, trying to look menacing. Martial arts studies come in. I take a punch to the forehead and then slide under and punch him in the stomach, he goes backwards and I land another one to his face. I then go berserk and full body tackle him. He managed to crawl away, and say, "That kid...is inhuman!"

This one is perennially my favourite because of this part right here:

quote:

When they were talking right in front of me in the street and holding arms and talking and all that, I said, "Shut. The. Hell. Up."

He's not even being bullied or anything in this instance, nothing of the sort. He's literally following a couple in public - stalking them, if you will - then yelling at them, followed by assaulting the guy.

So badass :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It's not like the New Testament is any better on that score, though. Four Gospels, each one talking about the same dude and the same period of time, all four of them different.

• Locked thread