Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

DariusLikewise posted:

Anyone get the letter that they are ending the Amazon.ca card as of March 15 and shutting down all accounts? Any other good cards out there re:US exchange?

What the gently caress, I thought it would continue but they just won't renew any cards... Amazon.ca Visa

Fido MC looks interesting, 4% cash back when you spend foreign currency, and 1.5% for Canadian purchases. No Annual fees I think I'll be signing up for a new card soon.

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Kal Torak posted:

I don't use Questrade but be careful with this promotion. To qualify, you have to make 1 commissionable trade. Since ETF purchases are free, buying ETFs doesn't qualify.

Ah good catch. Didn't realize the ETF purchases won't qualify. I'm not planning on buying any NVIDIA or weed stocks so I guess the promotion isn't useful.

Risky Bisquick posted:

email me for the referral thing <-- not the referral email

Sorry I guess it wasn't what I thought!

Shofixti fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 17, 2018

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Anyone get the letter that they are ending the Amazon.ca card as of March 15 and shutting down all accounts? Any other good cards out there re:US exchange?

I've been looking at the Home Trust Visa. I really don't know why they offer it because Home Trust is part of HCG, which is a sub-prime mortgage lender, but it looks like the Amazon card + roadside assist. :shrug:

rouliroul
Mar 8, 2005

I'm all-in.
Not sure why no one ever mentions labor sponsored funds in any canadian investment threads and blogs anywhere. The extra 30-35% tax credit makes it a no brainer imo.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

rouliroul posted:

Not sure why no one ever mentions labor sponsored funds in any canadian investment threads and blogs anywhere. The extra 30-35% tax credit makes it a no brainer imo.

I really don't have enough faith in small-to-mid-size Canadian companies to consider the tax credit worth the increased risk. Not to mention the management fees are usually high, even for Canadian standards.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

rouliroul posted:

Why am I just hearing about this!?!?

Shofixti posted:

Ah good catch. Didn't realize the ETF purchases won't qualify. I'm not planning on buying any NVIDIA or weed stocks so I guess the promotion isn't useful.

I emailed Questrade asking them about this specifically when I opened my account in the last year, and they told me free ETF purchases qualify as a commissionable trade.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Jenkl posted:

I emailed Questrade asking them about this specifically when I opened my account in the last year, and they told me free ETF purchases qualify as a commissionable trade.

Reddit is full of people who have found out the hard way that this is not the case.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah just got a letter in the mail about my amazon.ca card, it was pretty good for travel and had decent rewards. Guess I need to find a new one.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
God drat it, I did all my USD purchasing and travelling with that card. :(

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just applied for a Home Trust Visa. gently caress you amazon

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They approved my Fido MC application in like 12 hours, pretty pumped.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/jeannielee88/status/954100504128241664

lmao 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Fido card looks interesting, they still charge 2.5% exchange but the 4% cashback puts you ahead

spoof posted:

I've been looking at the Home Trust Visa. I really don't know why they offer it because Home Trust is part of HCG, which is a sub-prime mortgage lender, but it looks like the Amazon card + roadside assist. :shrug:

This is nice for all the highway driving I do I guess? I really just want a good USD card

Mantle
May 15, 2004

spoof posted:

Did you get this yet? I can't find the terms of cash back redemption. Is it on demand? Or once per year? Or triggered by threshold?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Which e-brokerages do you guys like/use? I've got some extra income and I'd like to lose it all scratch the stock picking itch. Looking for basically whatever has the lowest commission, I don't need the research services of an e-broker or other additional services which can drive up the commission price.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think Questrade is still the cheapest

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DariusLikewise posted:

Fido card looks interesting, they still charge 2.5% exchange but the 4% cashback puts you ahead

There’s also the Rogers card which charges 1.5% on exchange but still has 4% back. That one has an annual fee after the first year though unless you pay your Rogers bill with it.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Mantle posted:

Did you get this yet? I can't find the terms of cash back redemption. Is it on demand? Or once per year? Or triggered by threshold?
Once per year, Jan 1.

quote:

6. Accumulating, redeeming and crediting my Account with CashBack Rewards: I will accumulate CashBack Rewards over the course of a calendar year beginning with the Purchases shown on my January Account Statement. You will redeem the CashBack Rewards in December each year and credit my Account in January of the following year.
Source

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fido MC posted:

Choose when and how often you wish to redeem using the Pay with Rewards app or online — as long as you have a minimum of $20 in cash back rewards.3

That auto club is a pretty good benefit though on hometrust

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
does anyone here use BMO's world elite MC? thinking about signing up for 1. the travel bonuses are pretty attractive.

just looking for a replacement for my tangerine card. spend on average ~2k/month.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Skizzzer posted:

does anyone here use BMO's world elite MC? thinking about signing up for 1. the travel bonuses are pretty attractive.

just looking for a replacement for my tangerine card. spend on average ~2k/month.

If you have a BMO chequing account with 6k minimum balance the Premium Plan they waive the card fee. I use one but I've never used the travel benefits so can't say much about that.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i don't bank with BMO, so that wouldn't apply to me. i guess the first year fee is waived and according to their calculator i would be getting ~$800 in rewards a year. I could just cancel the card after the first year if I'm not feeling it.

what do you use your rewards for? do you like it/what don't you like and would you recommend it?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Skizzzer posted:

i don't bank with BMO, so that wouldn't apply to me. i guess the first year fee is waived and according to their calculator i would be getting ~$800 in rewards a year. I could just cancel the card after the first year if I'm not feeling it.

what do you use your rewards for? do you like it/what don't you like and would you recommend it?

I have it as a family card that I share with my parents and brothers. I unfortunately don't get to reap the benefits since its my dad's. It's the cash back 1.5% version not the reward points. My main CC use is Tangerine for groceries, gas, and restaurants at 2% cashback. BMO 1% cashback for anything personal that is not in a tangerine category, Amazon Visa for anything in USD (probably going to go Fido MC when it shuts down) and the BMO world elite that is shared which I can only use because it has a 15k credit limit that I use for large item purchases, which I pay back to my dad.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have the BMO world elite and I use it entirely for the free extra coverage on rental cars.

The rewards on it suck dick, the rates they'll give you are going to be the regular room rate on every flight/hotel and the taxes and fees magically add up to exactly what you'd pay on Expedia.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I like the World Elite, though they did recently devalue the points redemption. I've not paid for a hotel for occasional weekend trips in years thanks to it... and the lounge passes are a nice fringe benefit. I keep $6k in a BMO Chequing account to make it free... the opportunity cost of the interest is worth it IMO.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Hmm, that Home Trust Visa looks like the perfect replacement for the Amazon Visa.

Having said that, was there ever a consensus for a good travel rewards card? I was looking at signing up for Aeroplan because I travel about once a year, but if I could supplement those points with a credit card, I'd love to know.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I signed up for the home trust card to replace my Amazon card. I slightly preferred Amazon because rewards were paid out when they reached $20 rather than once per year. Oh well not a biggie.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I used all my rewards from the amazon card to do my Christmas shopping, free poo poo owns(don’t carry a balance though)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
It would be nice if we lived in a country with actual competitive offerings in banking, rather than having to resort to some idiot shady mortgage outfit to get a basic forex benefit on a credit card.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Lexicon posted:

It would be nice if we lived in a country with actual competitive offerings in banking, rather than having to resort to some idiot shady mortgage outfit to get a basic forex benefit on a credit card.

Fido offers a decent MC. 4% cashback on foreign currency transactions with a 2.5% conversion fee cancels out to 1.5% cashback and a general 1.5% cashback with no fees.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just came to ask about the replacement for the Amazon visa as well. I think I'll be checking into that Home Trust visa. I am glad that Chase seems to be closing the account instead of migrating it to some other poo poo card though.

Anyone know what happened to bring this on? Is Amazon.ca doing a different CC?

E: Also, does anyone know if Equifax is going to be offering that credit lock down option in Canada like they do in the US? These data breaches piss me off and for the rare time I ever need my credit report access for credit, I think I'd rather have it locked down as the norm and just deal with getting it removed when I need to.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 21, 2018

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'd love to have a proper virtual credit cards to mitigate compromises like that up here. BMO has some bullshit they call a virtual credit card which is just visa debit and does the opposite of protect you from compromises.

2FA from major banks would also be nice but digital security is generally seen as a ball wash wherever you are so :shrug:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Guest2553 posted:

2FA from major banks would also be nice but digital security is generally seen as a ball wash wherever you are so :shrug:

Tangerine shows me a picture when I log in so they’ve got it under control.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
who else hates the CRA's sign-in partner login with the fury of a thousand suns

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

slidebite posted:

Anyone know what happened to bring this on? Is Amazon.ca doing a different CC?

It's a Chase thing, not an Amazon thing. They've been pulling out of Canada for a while now. They sold a bunch of their stuff to Scotia a couple years ago so this was expected.

Capital One is probably next.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Amazon branded card with someone else at some point. I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't.

Kal Torak fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 21, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It works fine why do you hate it. It’s pretty convenient since I don’t need to bother calling the cra ever.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
because i have to 'bank' with td and td still doesn't have 2fa login

my loving first tech federal credit union has had 2fa for at least 5 years and my uk hsbc account has had it since like 2011

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Yeah td is behind. But did you see the myspend app??????

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
at this loving point it's probably safer for the cra to implement facebook oauth lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
*sucks teeth* bitch gently caress myspend i use mint