Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Maybe the devaluing of the CAD drives exports up, a war in Saudi Arabia opens up, and the Canadian economy remains strong making the home equity bubble not such a big deal via the Canadian consumer having lots of purchasing power via those profits. I'm betting that those things don't happen!

This right here is why indexing is so great. There is so much loving bullshit and uncertainty all the time. Always has been, always will be. Indexers say: "gently caress it - I'll buy companies in the proportion that they exist in the economy, and rebalance occasionally... and forget about everything else". It's liberating.

I don't recall if I plugged this podcast episode between Michael James and Preet Bannerjee, but it's basically required listening if you're in this thread: http://wheredoesallmymoneygo.com/michael-james-on-money-on-investing-podcast-cc-mjonmoney/. If you're reading this very sentence, do yourself a favour and spend 30 mins listening to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

This right here is why indexing is so great. There is so much loving bullshit and uncertainty all the time. Always has been, always will be. Indexers say: "gently caress it - I'll buy companies in the proportion that they exist in the economy, and rebalance occasionally... and forget about everything else". It's liberating.

I don't recall if I plugged this podcast episode between Michael James and Preet Bannerjee, but it's basically required listening if you're in this thread: http://wheredoesallmymoneygo.com/michael-james-on-money-on-investing-podcast-cc-mjonmoney/. If you're reading this very sentence, do yourself a favour and spend 30 mins listening to that.

I will give that a listen for sure. I should state that I am 100% onboard with the indexing investment strategies in this thread, and the general personal finance philosophies of BFC.

By the end of 2014 I will have a diversified profile together consistent with what you guys recommend, but I am just entering the world of financial positives. I've been working for 2.5 years post graduation and my OSAP is paid (can't beat a guaranteed 5.5% return can you!), my emergency fund is in place, and I am now starting to save cash in a savings account for my inevitable car failure / desire to buy a house (if the collapse happens and certain things in my personal life coalesce). Once those things are in place I'm very excited to start saving for retirement using the set it and forget it (with low MER) strategies found in this thread. They are awesome and Lexicon you are personally responsible for me closing an Investors Group account I had opened to help out a friend earlier this year. Big thanks for that.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Lexicon you are personally responsible for me closing an Investors Group account I had opened to help out a friend earlier this year. Big thanks for that.

:love:

Whenever an Investors Group advisor salesman has to terminate his Porsche lease early, an angel gets its wings.

(I don't mean your friend, by the way - just Investors Group people in general. I think the business model is fundamentally dishonest).

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 24, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I think it's safe to say you can set up a short sale so that the maximum you would lose is your initial investment. You make sure your broker sells before you start owing them money past your initial investment. I don't intend on utilizing margin investing in this case, because that would certainly scare the hell out of me and your warning would be quite astute.

Don't take this personally, but this comment shows just how little you understand about how shorting works and I would highly recommend against doing so until you learn more about it. To address some specific points:

By shorting anything at all, you are by definition using margin - you have to borrow the stock (margin) that you are selling, and then need to also capitalize it so your broker doesn't lose money if the stock moves 50% (or whatever coverage they require) in a day.

The next problem is that you can't "make sure your broker sells before you start owing them money". Even if you have a very active IA, there's not much they can do if the market moves away from them. If you want to set your own stop loss you can do so, but there's no guarantee it will execute at the stop price you set, and you could be forced to trade well into the red or not have a trade execute at all.

Third, if you get to a position where your broker is owed money, the margin clerks will step in and just buy stock on your behalf (to offset the short) at whatever price they can get in an attempt to mitigate their own risk. They don't give a flying gently caress whether you are losing money, and will just act, leaving you to make up the difference.

In a later post you reference how you would put $1000 in a brokerage account and then sell that amount of stock... this isn't really how it works. Usually, when you short a stock, the broker will require you to put up 150% of the shorted value as cash collateral. This means that if you want to short $1000 of whatever, you need to have $1500 in your account. $1000 of that will come from the stock you just shorted, so you need to top up with $500 of your own other funds. That money is then not earning profit elsewhere. Second, you have to pay interest on the $1000 of stock you have borrowed. This is a non-insignificant cost, and further increases your return hurdle. Third, if your stock goes the wrong way, almost every broker will require you to add additional cash to top up your margin should your "coverage" get below 110 - 125% of the short value. So in the $1000 example, if the stock goes up by 25%, you will then require $1875 in the account versus having only $1500 and will need to top up with the difference of $375 (This is 75% of your original investment for only a 25% move the wrong way!). If you don't rectify the margin call, your stock will be sold in spite of any view you might have that it will recover and you will lose money. In my 25% move example, you will have suffered a 50% loss for a 25% move against you.

A further point that hasn't been touched on, is that any broker will reserve itself the right to cover your short at any time it wants and for any reason. This means that you can be turfed out of your position at any time, with no warning. Usually they won't do so arbitrarily, but reasons that can trigger this include the owner of the loaned shares selling them, failure to cover your margin, and the weather being a bit lovely when the margin clerk walked in to work this morning.

Ultimately, you can do whatever you want, but you're taking a lot of risk for potentially very little gain. I'm paraphrasing, but one of the best axioms for speculative trading continues to be "the market can stay irrational for much longer than you can stay solvent". If nothing else, I'd advise you do a lot more reading about how this works before making the trade. You also need to understand exactly what your brokerage's margin limits, loan rates, and general margin call policies are. Some are more aggressive than others in calling in margin and trading out of your stock, but all have the right to do so whenever the heck they want with NO warning. Buying put options is an alternative strategy to consider if you have a strong bearish bias, but it comes with a wholly different set of risks and you also need to know what you're doing to trade options.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Get a copy of Rail Road Tycoon III (It's cheap on Steam) and try shorting stocks, see how well it works out.

(Granted you can do amazingly hilarious poo poo in multiplayer by shorting stocks if your other positions are solid, but that's for the more advanced players who don't mind bankrupting their fake train company owner.)

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Why not just buy an Indexed Inverse ETF like HXD if you are bearish? It's not complicated.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Saltin posted:

Why not just buy an Indexed Inverse ETF like HXD if you are bearish? It's not complicated.

Yes, after reading Kalenn's incredibly insightful post (you explain that about 100x better than the wikipedia article) the drawbacks of a short sale become quite apparent. That seems like a much better idea than what I previously.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Don't take this personally, but this comment shows just how little you understand about how shorting works and I would highly recommend against doing so until you learn more about it. To address some specific points:

By shorting anything at all, you are by definition using margin - you have to borrow the stock (margin) that you are selling, and then need to also capitalize it so your broker doesn't lose money if the stock moves 50% (or whatever coverage they require) in a day.

The next problem is that you can't "make sure your broker sells before you start owing them money". Even if you have a very active IA, there's not much they can do if the market moves away from them. If you want to set your own stop loss you can do so, but there's no guarantee it will execute at the stop price you set, and you could be forced to trade well into the red or not have a trade execute at all.

Third, if you get to a position where your broker is owed money, the margin clerks will step in and just buy stock on your behalf (to offset the short) at whatever price they can get in an attempt to mitigate their own risk. They don't give a flying gently caress whether you are losing money, and will just act, leaving you to make up the difference.

In a later post you reference how you would put $1000 in a brokerage account and then sell that amount of stock... this isn't really how it works. Usually, when you short a stock, the broker will require you to put up 150% of the shorted value as cash collateral. This means that if you want to short $1000 of whatever, you need to have $1500 in your account. $1000 of that will come from the stock you just shorted, so you need to top up with $500 of your own other funds. That money is then not earning profit elsewhere. Second, you have to pay interest on the $1000 of stock you have borrowed. This is a non-insignificant cost, and further increases your return hurdle. Third, if your stock goes the wrong way, almost every broker will require you to add additional cash to top up your margin should your "coverage" get below 110 - 125% of the short value. So in the $1000 example, if the stock goes up by 25%, you will then require $1875 in the account versus having only $1500 and will need to top up with the difference of $375 (This is 75% of your original investment for only a 25% move the wrong way!). If you don't rectify the margin call, your stock will be sold in spite of any view you might have that it will recover and you will lose money. In my 25% move example, you will have suffered a 50% loss for a 25% move against you.

A further point that hasn't been touched on, is that any broker will reserve itself the right to cover your short at any time it wants and for any reason. This means that you can be turfed out of your position at any time, with no warning. Usually they won't do so arbitrarily, but reasons that can trigger this include the owner of the loaned shares selling them, failure to cover your margin, and the weather being a bit lovely when the margin clerk walked in to work this morning.

Ultimately, you can do whatever you want, but you're taking a lot of risk for potentially very little gain. I'm paraphrasing, but one of the best axioms for speculative trading continues to be "the market can stay irrational for much longer than you can stay solvent". If nothing else, I'd advise you do a lot more reading about how this works before making the trade. You also need to understand exactly what your brokerage's margin limits, loan rates, and general margin call policies are. Some are more aggressive than others in calling in margin and trading out of your stock, but all have the right to do so whenever the heck they want with NO warning. Buying put options is an alternative strategy to consider if you have a strong bearish bias, but it comes with a wholly different set of risks and you also need to know what you're doing to trade options.

This an awesome post and I learned a lot from it. Thanks!

Can you explain bonds in a similar way? Not that they're like shorts or anything, just in some way that makes sense. I know they have maturity rates, and they're basically the credit cards of large organizations (a city or country issues bonds to raise capital for a project or something, right?), but other than that they're very mysterious to me.

I just have no idea why I'd prefer 5-10 year bonds for my portfolio, or how maturity rate changes anything since they remain liquid the whole time, or how some may be more tax efficient than others. I have a pretty loose grasp of tax efficiency in general, actually (in efficiency terms: REITs and dividends are low, capital gains higher, right).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

Can you explain bonds in a similar way? Not that they're like shorts or anything, just in some way that makes sense. I know they have maturity rates, and they're basically the credit cards of large organizations (a city or country issues bonds to raise capital for a project or something, right?), but other than that they're very mysterious to me.

Echoing all of this.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Kal Torak posted:

The fee schedule is here: http://www.questrade.com/pricing/admin_fees

There's no hidden fees. There is a $20 fee per quarter if you have less than 5K in assets.

That's really helpful. Thanks.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

tuyop posted:

I just have no idea why I'd prefer 5-10 year bonds for my portfolio, or how maturity rate changes anything since they remain liquid the whole time, or how some may be more tax efficient than others. I have a pretty loose grasp of tax efficiency in general, actually (in efficiency terms: REITs and dividends are low, capital gains higher, right).

I had started to write out a long effortpost but there are lots of resources on the internet which explain the basics of bonds in a useful way and this prevents me from dumping a giant wall-o-text. It might be more useful if those who are interested instead do some reading and then come back with questions here, as I can be more specific in answering questions than a general post.

To get you started, here's a link on investopedia: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bond.asp

That page has a few links at the bottom which expand on the basic definition (5 Basic things to know about bonds and bond basics).

The short version is that bonds are a contractual agreement (called a bond indenture) of a company to pay coupon payments and a principal payment at some point in the future. The price you pay to buy the right to that obligation depends on the term, interest rate, and underlying credit risk of the issuing entity. Longer term, higher risk and interest rate higher than the current prevailing rate for similar bonds means a higher price for the bond while the reverse means a lower price. To actually price bonds you need to use discounted cash flow analysis which needs to be tweaked specifically for each bond and its features. Certain bonds also contain features which act like embedded options and can increase or decrease the value.

The really short version is that unless you're fairly well informed on it and have a fairly large pool of capital, you're much better off buying a well-diversified bond ETF (or MF if ETFs are unavailable to you) than buying bonds directly yourself.

To answer your question about maturity is a complicated one. Many people own bonds with 5-10 year maturities because these are the most common bonds available but ideally you want to own a diversified portfolio of maturities, industries, geographies, and credit risks. Buying a single bond series is not much better than stock-picking.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Saltin posted:

This is certainly more straightforward but the underlying fund will have essentially the same structure (or use derivatives to approximate it) as the standard short structure I noted above. The advantage of a fund is that you don't have unlimited downside (can only go to zero) and you don't need to worry about the complexities of margin calls. They're also diversified so you reduce the risk of a one-off shock wiping you out. The disadvantage is that you are paying the managers to worry about it and also paying whoever is funding / backstopping the fund to take on the risk that it goes upside-down.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
With regard to bonds (and assuming you have a grasp of the basics) the most confusing aspect is often the relationship between price and yield. It is simple in technical terms - when price goes up, yield goes down, and vice-versa. What that means in practical terms and how prevailing interest rates affect that is often where people get confused.

When interest rates go up, bond prices in the market fall, which raises the yield of the bonds (think: for anyone buying them in the market) and brings them into line with bonds coming to market, which would have higher coupons (as a result of the higher interest rate environment).

When rates fall, the prices of bonds in the market go up, which lowers the yield of those bonds (think: for anyone buying them in the market) and brings them into line with newer bonds issues available for purchase which would have lower coupons.

I've stressed the "in the market" portion because it best illustrates the situation an investor who owns bonds would face. While your initial investment (par value) and interest payment (coupon) will never change, the way the instrument on the market trades will change as described above.

As a set it and forget it strategy, bonds always act like "I will pay you 100 dollars now, and you will pay me 5% per year for four years, plus my 100 dollars at maturity" (example). If you want to sell that arrangement, what people will pay changes based on how interest rates change. Essentially they will demand a balance of price and yield that provides them with something equal to what they could get if they bought a new issue fresh.

If you are wondering what causes people to buy and sell these arrangements in the first place, it is the time value of money. I am no expert, but that is the best I can explain it.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 24, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm going to do some reading this weekend on these, because it's pretty interesting, but the biggest thing I'm wondering is this:

So, I own XBB, which is a bond ETF. It has literally 769 bonds in it. As far as I can tell, it has been trading at ~$30 for the past ten years so I know that capital gains are not the reason I'm holding it. Instead, every month I get some money for owning this thing. Is this money a portion of the coupons of all those bonds, and the sum of those coupons (minus the price) the yield?

When I sell a share of XBB, what happens? Do I just sign away the monthly income from it to the new buyer and collect my coupons/yields-to-date plus the trading price?

What happens to my account when one of those bonds matures? Like, there's one from the province of Ontario for 3.8 million that matures on March 8, 2015. Do they then pay that 3.8mil back to all the bondholders (the ETF shareholders?) resulting in a small increase in my monthly haul from each share of XBB?

And the most basic question of all: My statements say that I got, say, $100 this month from XBB for "dividends" or whatever. Where is that $100 going? Is it automatically reinvested into the ETF, buying me 3.3 more shares? Because it doesn't seem to be going into "cash" in my Questrade account but it's possible that I haven't noticed because the amounts have not been $100/month - I only own about 30 shares.

Edit: I hope this doesn't seem like an offensively stupid post, I feel really ignorant but I haven't seen the "where is that dividend money going" question addressed anywhere other than people who write "that's yours!".

tuyop fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 25, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Saltin wrote most of the key points of my effortpost in a much more succinct way than I had in mind.

You would buy a bond if it was relatively "cheap", or implying a higher YTM (yield to maturity) than comparable securities, and sell it if it was implying a lower YTM. The YTM is sort of the inverse of the bond price calculation.

Bond price = PV (principal) + PV (coupon1) + PV (coupon2) + ... + PV (couponX) where X = the remaining maturity of the bond times 2 and using the prevailing interest rate as the discount rate.
- You can use the XNPV function in excel / googledocs to approximate bond prices, although it's not 100% right as bonds can have funky interest periods like being calculated on a 360 day year

YTM = IRR (-Bond Purchase Price + Bond Coupon Payments + Bond Principal)
- You can use the XIRR function in excel to approximate the YTM of bonds (similar issues as bond price calc)

e: why did my images not spoiler properly? I haven't tried to post something like that before...

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Going to comment in-line in a stupid colourbold as you have several questions.

tuyop posted:

I'm going to do some reading this weekend on these, because it's pretty interesting, but the biggest thing I'm wondering is this:

So, I own XBB, which is a bond ETF. It has literally 769 bonds in it. As far as I can tell, it has been trading at ~$30 for the past ten years so I know that capital gains are not the reason I'm holding it. Instead, every month I get some money for owning this thing. Is this money a portion of the coupons of all those bonds, and the sum of those coupons (minus the price) the yield?

The cash you are getting is your share of the coupon payments of the underlying bonds. The yield is the coupon (annualized, so multiplied by the frequency you get it in a year) divided by the unit price.

When I sell a share of XBB, what happens? Do I just sign away the monthly income from it to the new buyer and collect my coupons/yields-to-date plus the trading price?

You've already collected your coupons / yield to date (other than a small amount for accrued interest). You're selling your right to your share of the future cash flows from the underlying bonds.

What happens to my account when one of those bonds matures? Like, there's one from the province of Ontario for 3.8 million that matures on March 8, 2015. Do they then pay that 3.8mil back to all the bondholders (the ETF shareholders?) resulting in a small increase in my monthly haul from each share of XBB?

No, usually they will re-invest it in a bond of similar maturity and risk to keep the overall profile of the fund similar over time. If they did pay out an expired bond this way it would reduce the underlying value of the unit (by paying cash to its holders) and so any principal paid out would be offset by a decline in the value of the unit.

And the most basic question of all: My statements say that I got, say, $100 this month from XBB for "dividends" or whatever. Where is that $100 going? Is it automatically reinvested into the ETF, buying me 3.3 more shares? Because it doesn't seem to be going into "cash" in my Questrade account but it's possible that I haven't noticed because the amounts have not been $100/month - I only own about 30 shares.

The answer here is "it depends". Some funds will automatically reinvest dividends / interest / whatever in new units of the fund. Others will make a cash payment. This can also be customized by the broker you deal with - in my case I get cash dividends from my iShares units and generally make up my own mind about where to put the cash I get back. This gives me a soft way of pooling some capital for a year-end rebalance (by buying something I'm now relatively underweight in).

Edit: I hope this doesn't seem like an offensively stupid post, I feel really ignorant but I haven't seen the "where is that dividend money going" question addressed anywhere other than people who write "that's yours!".

It's not a dumb question - many brokerages are poor at disclosing stuff like this although that often stems from the wide range of possibilities in the underlying funds.

EstefanHarpero
Dec 28, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Yes, you can easily buy a US-listed ETF with TD Direct Investing. You'll need US dollars to do so though - in general all these brokerages happily permit you to have a USD as well as CAD side of the account.

If you're truly brand new to investing, I'd question your rationale though. Transacting in USD adds a whole other dimension of complexity (the necessity to convert currency cheaply, recording TFSA contributions at the appropriate conversion rate, etc). If you're only going to be investing in a USD market-linked ETF, you're likely far better to pick one that trades in Canadian dollars and holds those underlying US securities for you.

A little late on my part, but thanks for the reply.

My rationale is that I'd prefer not to be invested in the oil sands; I searched for 'ethical' funds in Canada but they tend to use a best-in-industry selection criteria, and all the ones I saw still had a substantial part of the fund (like 15-20%) in the oil sands. Since I'm not comfortable picking individual stocks yet, iShares DSI seems to fit the bill for me.

As for trading in USD, is it really really stupid to just use the bank to convert money, or is there a better way? I'm probably just looking in the neighbourhood of $5k to get started.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wait, you're concerned about ethics, so you want to invest in American companies? :monocle:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

EstefanHarpero posted:

A little late on my part, but thanks for the reply.

My rationale is that I'd prefer not to be invested in the oil sands; I searched for 'ethical' funds in Canada but they tend to use a best-in-industry selection criteria, and all the ones I saw still had a substantial part of the fund (like 15-20%) in the oil sands. Since I'm not comfortable picking individual stocks yet, iShares DSI seems to fit the bill for me.

It's possible to thoroughly divest yourself of oil sands investments, and yet still only trade in CAD. It probably means you can't buy any [representative] Canadian index funds, but why not buy something like VFV if you want to track the S&P500? You don't need USD - it's priced in CAD: https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/etfs/etfs-detail-overview.htm?portId=9563. It's very cheap - 0.17% MER.

Personally, I keep my US equities as VTI, which trades on the US market in USD. But that's only because I have access to very cheap USD conversions (I often earn USD through my company). Most people don't have the access to a reasonable exchange rate, or are intimidated by Norbert's Gambit, etc.

EstefanHarpero posted:

As for trading in USD, is it really really stupid to just use the bank to convert money, or is there a better way? I'm probably just looking in the neighbourhood of $5k to get started.

It sure is. You'll lose 1-2.5% of your capital each direction. You'd be far better served buying VFV than converting CAD => USD and buying VTI with $5000 to spend.

tuyop posted:

Wait, you're concerned about ethics, so you want to invest in American companies? :monocle:

Let's not, like all conversations-among-Canadians are wont to do, have this turn into a festival of superiority over Americans. If anything, we should be collectively admiring their actual economic diversification.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I'm a vocal critic of the housing market in Canada and the Anglo-country fetish of home ownership in general. Of course, it's undeniable that in many places, especially in Canada, owners have made out like bandits for more than a decade now.

Having said that, this is a pretty amusing take on home ownership from an investing point of view. It really does, in general, have spectacularly bad characteristics:
http://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/05/29/why-your-house-is-a-terrible-investment/

quote:

My pal James Altucher calls homeownership a part of The American Religion, so I know I’m treading dangerous ground here. But before you get out the tar and feathers, let’s do a little thought experiment together.

Imagine over a cup or coffee or a glass of wine we get to talking about investments. Then maybe one of us, let’s say you, says:

“Hey I’ve got an idea. We’re always talking about good investments. What if we came up with the worst possible investment we can construct? What might that look like?”

Well, let’s see now (pulling out our lined yellow pad), let’s make a list. To be really terrible:

It should be not just an initial, but if we do it right, a relentlessly ongoing drain on the cash reserves of the owner.

It should be illiquid. We’ll make it something that takes weeks, no – wait – even better, months of time and effort to buy or sell.

It should be expensive to buy and sell. We’ll add very high transaction costs. Let’s say 5% commissions on the deal, coming and going.

It should be complex to buy or sell. That way we can ladle on lots of extra fees and reports and documents we can charge for.

It should generate low returns. Certainly no more than the inflation rate. Maybe a bit less.

It should be leveraged! Oh, oh this one is great! This is how we’ll get people to swallow those low returns! If the price goes up a little bit, leverage will magnify this and people will convince themselves it’s actually a good investment! Nah, don’t worry about it. Most will never even consider that leverage is also very high risk and could just as easily wipe them out.

It should be mortgaged! Another beauty of leverage. We can charge interest on the loans. Yep, and with just a little more effort we should easily be able to persuade people who buy this thing to borrow money against it more than once.

It should be unproductive. While we’re talking about interest, let’s be sure this investment we are creating never pays any. No dividends either, of course.

It should be immobile. If we can fix it to one geographical spot we can be sure at any given time only a tiny group of potential buyers for it will exist. Sometimes and in some places, none at all!

It should be subject to the fortunes of one country, one state, one city, one town…No! One neighborhood! Imagine if our investment could somehow tie its owner to the fate of one narrow location. The risk could be enormous! A plant closes. A street gang moves in. A government goes crazy with taxes. An environmental disaster happens nearby. We could have an investment that not only crushes it’s owner’s net worth, but does so even as they are losing their job and income!

It should be something that locks its owner in one geographical area. That’ll limit their options and keep ‘em docile for their employers!

It should be expensive. Ideally we’ll make it so expensive that it will represent a disproportionate percentage of a person’s net worth. Nothing like squeezing out diversification to increase risk!

It should be expensive to own, too! Let’s make sure this investment requires an endless parade of repairs and maintenance without which it will crumble into dust.

It should be fragile and easily damaged by weather, fire, vandalism and the like! Now we can add-on expensive insurance to cover these risks. Making sure, of course, that the bad things that are most likely to happen aren’t actually covered. Don’t worry, we’ll bury that in the fine print or maybe just charge extra for it.

It should be heavily taxed, too! Let’s get the Feds in on this. If it should go up in value, we’ll go ahead and tax that gain. If it goes down in value should we offer a balancing tax deduction on the loss like with other investments? Nah.

It should be taxed even more! Let’s not forget our state and local governments. Why wait till this investment is sold? Unlike other investments, let’s tax it each and every year. Oh, and let’s raise those taxes anytime it goes up in value. Lower them when it goes down? Don’t be silly.

It should be something you can never really own. Since we are going to give the government the power to tax this investment every year, “owning” it will be just like sharecropping. We’ll let them work it, maintain it, pay all the cost associated with it and, as long as they pay their annual rent (oops, I mean taxes) we’ll let ‘em stay in it. Unless we decide we want it.
For that, we’ll make it subject to eminent domain. You know, in case we decide that instead of getting our rent (drat! I mean taxes) we’d rather just take it away from them.

Food for thought, at the very least.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I wish more people would be willing to pay attention to information like this.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
There is nothing wrong with owning a home. Being caught up in leveraging yourself into the absolute maximum you can afford, continually upgrading poo poo and needing to have everything just so is what is wrong with places like Vancouver and Toronto today.

I own a home downtown Toronto and it is "worth" twice as much as we paid for it 10 years ago. I don't put much stock in that and certainly don't factor that equity into my net worth calculations in any meaningful way. The mortgage plus property taxes are 15% or so of our net monthly income, and it'll be paid off in 4 years 8 months. One day we may sell it and when we do I guess that's cash we can take to the bank, whatever that amount may be. I certainly don't consider it the most financially prudent use of my after tax income, but it is really nice to have a place and a backyard and I like that it is mine. I like taking care of it too, to a certain degree (gently caress those 10k surprises though!). When we are free and clear of the mortgage we will be very close to the independence we want because we did not extend ourselves.

I know loads of guys who make far less than I do who have mortgages an order of magnitude larger than mine, and at the end of the day that is what is fundamentally wrong - the "industry" has sold them the idea of house as investment. A lot of people are going to be very sorry in 10 years, I think.

Home ownership approached realistically is fine. Home ownership where you just want to have a dinner party and make your friends jealous of your kitchen is debt slavery, unless you are paying cash for that poo poo, in which case ball on.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 26, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Buying a house to live in, when you know you won't be moving for 10+ years, and you can afford it, is absolutely a sound move.

Buying a house as an investment that you can live in when you're in your twenties, unmarried with no kids and stretching to afford it (Because obviously your income is going to increase soon) is absolutely loving stupid. Buying a second single-family home as a rental property / investment is also pretty dumb (Unless you can pay cash, I guess, but even then I can think of better investments.)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Agree with everything you guys are saying.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Simple question unrelated to housing:

I will need about $400USD in cash for a trip, exactly 2 months from now. Does it make any sense at all to buy my 400 USD now, as opposed to right before my trip, what with the predicted fall of the loonie? The other option is to leave the cash in a 1.35% savings account (ING) until departure.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jolarix posted:

I will need about $400USD in cash for a trip, exactly 2 months from now. Does it make any sense at all to buy my 400 USD now, as opposed to right before my trip, what with the predicted fall of the loonie? The other option is to leave the cash in a 1.35% savings account (ING) until departure.

If the loonie declines another 10% you end up losing 40 bucks. I would ask myself if I could stomach a loss like that or more before deciding.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Jolarix posted:

Who knows. Nobody knows what is going to happen to the exchange rate. It's fallen so much in the last couple weeks, but it could always fall further. Even if it fell another 5 cents, that would only be a $20 difference on a $400 transaction. Trying to time the exchange rate in a 2 month time frame is a total crapshoot.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Okay- as a follow up, is there anywhere in Toronto known for giving the best USD rate? Or will every big bank have identical rates?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
old info removed!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 4, 2024

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Does anyone here use the BMO World Elite Mastercard? I'm typically philosophically opposed to annual credit card fees, but the benefits for this seem actually well worth the $150 (after 2nd year) annual cost (rental car coverage, extended travel insurance, 2% of purchases for travel, airport lounge access).

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I guess I just assumed that Questrade had a way to do automated stock purchases, but it doesn't. Do you guys all log into Questrade every 2-4 weeks to buy your ETF spread or what?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Doesn't seem as nice to me as the Aspire World mastercard (http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/aspire-travel-world/) except for the lounge access and car rental discount?

The Aspire one is cheaper annually especially with the annual points bonus. The Aspire one lets you spend the points on any travel as long as it's charged to the card. The BMO one seems to use a customized booking site, so it's only for flights?

The catch with the aspire one is it's best used for charges $600+ otherwise you get into price bands where you are not using your points efficiently. And annoyingly a lot of airlines seem to break out their flight charges individually by person and for each direction of the flight. So for instance a return flight Vancouver to LA for 2 people shows up as 4 smaller charges on my card instead of 1 big charge that I can use my points on efficiently.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Doesn't seem as nice to me as the Aspire World mastercard (http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-cards/aspire-travel-world/) except for the lounge access and car rental discount?

The Aspire one is cheaper annually especially with the annual points bonus. The Aspire one lets you spend the points on any travel as long as it's charged to the card. The BMO one seems to use a customized booking site, so it's only for flights?

The catch with the aspire one is it's best used for charges $600+ otherwise you get into price bands where you are not using your points efficiently. And annoyingly a lot of airlines seem to break out their flight charges individually by person and for each direction of the flight. So for instance a return flight Vancouver to LA for 2 people shows up as 4 smaller charges on my card instead of 1 big charge that I can use my points on efficiently.

This seems reasonably good, but as an ex-USA resident and ex-Capital One USA customer - I'm inclined to reject them out of hand. Capital One is a notoriously scuzzy company - not sure if they've mended their ways at all.

It is probably cheaper, on balance, but the first year isn't free, so it takes a couple of years before its 'lifetime cost' is less.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I always have 2/3 Amex, and at least one Aeroplan card to get points from (in the last seven months I've gotten enough bonus points to fly to Europe and back for free) and I haven't paid a cent in annual fees, and while I haven't looked heavily into it I'm pretty sure I get all those benefits and more

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004

HookShot posted:

I always have 2/3 Amex, and at least one Aeroplan card to get points from (in the last seven months I've gotten enough bonus points to fly to Europe and back for free) and I haven't paid a cent in annual fees, and while I haven't looked heavily into it I'm pretty sure I get all those benefits and more

Is there any long-term / credit-related disadvantage to gaming credit card sign-up bonuses like this? If I apply, and then cancel two cards a year, for example, am I putting my future at risk, ex: mortgage applications?

(This is assuming all closing balances equal to zero, and no CC interest / fees are ever paid)

Jolarix fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 28, 2014

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Jolarix posted:

Is there any long-term / credit-related disadvantage to gaming credit card sign-up bonuses like this? If I apply, and then cancel two cards a year, for example, am I putting my future at risk, ex: mortgage applications?

(This is assuming all closing balances equal to zero, and no CC interest / fees are ever paid)

Having a longstanding credit account goes a significant way toward helping your score (it contributes something like 15-20% by estimates I have read). Having newish accounts and several credit inquiries (which would happen when you open net new) negatively affects your score to a modest degree.

At the end of the day obviously paying your debts on time is the most important thing, but yes, gaming the credit card offers can hurt you a bit. Nothing like not being able to get a mortgage though, I would think. Easily explainable as long as your payment history is solid.

When I upgraded my card to a better scheme for me the bank made me agree not to close the account for a certain amount of time (since they promo'd points to me). I had no intention of doing that, but I expect that is the way they discourage these practises. They are paying attention to it a lot more.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
They used to give out small bonuses for signing up for a credit card at football games here and my Dad would always sign up for something free each time he went and just decline the follow up calls. I think him and my mom took a 100-150 point hit because of all the inqueries to their credit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Related to CC chat, I've had a Capital One and MBNA Mastercards that I never use, but they're my my oldest cards so I keep them open. 2000 and 2001 were the open dates.

My typical "go-to" cards are PC-MC (2005), RBC Visa (2004) and Amex (2007).

I would like to turf the MBNA and Cap One but haven't yet because of talk of it hurting your credit score. Rough ideas of how much that would hurt my fico?

I'm not planing on applying for credit anytime soon so practically it's probably not a big deal but I don't want to keep them forever just "because" unless it's a good idea.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

slidebite posted:

I'm not planing on applying for credit anytime soon so practically it's probably not a big deal but I don't want to keep them forever just "because" unless it's a good idea.

Your credit score is not a video game high score, there's no sense in min / maxing it. Close the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Your credit score is not a video game high score, there's no sense in min / maxing it. Close the cards.

Agreed. I feel like most of these 'credit best practices' have an element of truth, but have primarily become this cargo-cult phenomenon. Think of it from a lender's point of view: do they care that you have a history of credit and accounts paid on time, or that you read one time in the Readers Digest to keep your old RBC student visa around for decades and not close it. They aren't stupid.