Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Since the last time I was employed, the government implemented TFSAs. I finished my current grad studies, and that's pretty great, and I have some GICs (:smith:) from when I was an intern that are maturing in a month or two. I'd like to move my money into a more favourable investment setup, and indexed mutual funds sound cheap and stable and brainless, which appeals to me. I also have a really low cost of living (no kids, no plan for kids, no intention to own a house, really cheap hobbies), so I plan to make some pretty big contributions when I start working full-time. I get that TFSAs are pretty baller, and they become even more baller when you use them to invest, and I think that hitting the cap is going to be pretty easy for me.

My question is this: when I go to TD and ask them to make me a TFSA mutual fund account, will I then have to ask them to make that TFSA an e-Series mutual fund TFSA to invest with the money I put there? And then, if I wanted to contribute more to my retirement than the TFSA cap, would I need a second e-Series mutual fund non-TFSA account to shovel additional money into, or can I just keep dumping money into the TFSA and just pay tax on it normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Lexicon posted:

The internet is absolutely stuffed with sources on this. Reading Bernstein's The Four Pillars of Investing is how I was initially convinced. To start with, read that Andrew Coyne FP article I posted last page.

You will not find a credible argument to the contrary. It's not even a controversial claim at this point (among people who aren't thoroughly invested in selling expensive mutual funds, that is).

Here's a really funny anecdote that's currently going on about this: Warren Buffett made a bet with Protege Partners, a Wall Street hedge firm, that they could not beat the S&P 500 index fund from Vanguard with a fund that pools into their five finest hand-picked hedge funds (including, most likely, one hedge fund under their direct control). The last I read about it (from the 5-year mark), Buffett's single-index portfolio has returned 8.69% over five years, while the Protege hedge fund of funds is at 0.13%. Matt Taibbi called it "the sort of plain-vanilla investment that Warren Buffett used to publicly kick the rear end of Wall Street's cockiest hedge fund."

Bleu fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 7, 2013