Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I wanna say thanks to this thread for letting me know how incredibly expensive Canadian mutual fund fees could be. I had my meager assets set up with Questrade already, but reading the thread spurred me into action on unfucking my parent's retirement savings. They're both looking to retire in the next year or two, so it's definitely time.

My mom somehow had 3 RRSPs and 3 TSFAs (though one was with the bank and had, like, $2 in it) across multiple advisors/companies, and they were all ripping her off. One fund she was invested in had an MER of loving 3.8%!:siren: The rest were all in the high 1.X% to mid 2.X%. She thought she was doing ok, but when we compared the return rate I got last year with passive index ETFs to what little scraps her mutual funds passed on to her, she was pretty willing to switch. We're gonna see how Questrade's authorized trader system works so I can set up/rebalance her portfolio for her. That way I don't have to walk her through everything using Teamviewer or something.

I haven't gotten to my dad's finances yet, but I'm not expecting much better there. He's with Investors Group. :gonk:

When I think about how much better off they could have been if they'd switched to cheaper plans 15-20 years ago, I get pretty pissed, but at least this will make their humble savings last considerably longer.
Thank god they both also have public sector pensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

My company sets up TFSAs for employees to hold their shares with Canadian Western Trust, though recently CWT sold all our accounts to Computershare so I guess we're with them now. I didn't go that route because I didn't have TFSA room at ask time, but it is a thing that companies can do, apparently.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Baldrik posted:

I haven’t been active on the forums for a long time and I’ve tried to play a bit of catchup before I pose my question for some of you more financially savvy Canadian goons. You may cringe about what I’ve done here.

Basically I have decided to move abroad for a year or two and live off of my savings and the proceeds of my home sale. My stress levels were pretty high when I made the decisions about how to manage it all so I went with what seemed like the easiest option. I put 250k into an RBC managed payout solution fund and have been keeping about 20k in savings which I am living off of.

I know it’s not really ideal due to the fees, which I believe are about 1.9%, but it has worked ok for the last few months. The principle seems to have grown by a few thousand despite the payouts of about 1300 a month. I wonder if there will be some sort of adjustment at year end that will make things look worse. This is a non registered plan btw. My expenses are quite a bit more than that but I have been drawing down some of my savings to make up the difference.

I would really appreciate some opinions about what I should do with my money while I am living abroad. It is possible I could end up getting a job in Europe and might be out here for some time. Essentially I want to get an income from the money in the mutual fund while generally maintaining the principle for when I inevitably return to Canada to pick up where I left off.

You could certainly cut your fees roughly in half by using a low cost mutual fund like with Tangerine or TD e-series, but I don't know if they have an automatic payout option so you'd have to be going in and withdrawing money yourself each month. You could also drastically cut your fees by opening your own brokerage account with someone like Questrade and buying and selling your own ETFs, but that takes a lot more time and consideration each month to manually sell stuff, wait for the sale to clear, and then transfer the money to your bank, then get it to yourself in Europe, all of which could take, like, 5+ business days if you're unlucky.

However, with all those options you also have to trust yourself to not misuse your power over your finances and/or freak out when markets dive or soar and make bad decisions.
It's all about how much hassle and responsibility you want to trade for that extra $2k~4k you could be saving in fees every year.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Reggie Died posted:

I need to get my act together and set one up for my 11 month old. I've been meaning to look into individual vs family plans, ect, but life gets in the way.

Is it really that big of a tax break for the wealthy though? $250/year, up to $7200 lifetime? Don't get me wrong, it's free money that I want to take, but it's practically a year of CCB payments for a low income family.

It's 20% of 2500 per year, so $500 per year. Plus any growth in the account is tax-deferred and then taxed at the recipient's tax rate, the recipient being a current student (or recent graduate), so probably low tax/no tax. At worst it's a guaranteed 20% per year return on investment for ~15 years, at best it's tax free growth on $50k+ over ~20 years.
And you know all those limits are going to go up eventually.

Get on that poo poo

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 20, 2017

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Reggie Died posted:

This I cannot dispute. And not sure why I posted $250; I think I knew it was $500.

Regardless, free money that I need to get on. I just feel like if we want to discuss tax breaks for the wealthy, this is low hanging fruit.

RESP: Individual plan or Family plan? I have a second child on the way, but don't forsee us going being two (unless my financial situation changes drastically, at which point I don't think it would matter).

I think the only real significant difference is a family plan is only good until one of the recipients turns 31, so if there's a large age gap between siblings it can not work as well, but your kids will be close enough in age that it shouldn't matter. Just know you still need to make contributions to specified recipients within the family plan, and avoid group plans/scholarship plans as they're basically scams.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 21, 2017

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

Is there somewhere that I can set up a self directed RESP online? Tangerine doesn't seem to offer one, and I can't just set one up with my online banking at scotiabank. They direct me to head in to the local branch to set one up. If at all possible, I would like to avoid the sales pitches that inevitably come any time I speak to a real person at a bank.

Questrade allows you to set up your own self-directed RESP, though I haven't done it myself.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

How does the CESG work in self directed RESPs with regular contributions? I have my RESPs set up to be set and forget with some funds in target markets (ie divest canada forever)

Here's Questrade's guide, so you don't have to give them your contact info to get the URL:
http://media.questrade.com/downloads/manuals/Make_The_Most_Of_Your_Childs_RESP.pdf

But it looks like they apply for the CESG on your behalf.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

rouliroul posted:

Not sure why no one ever mentions labor sponsored funds in any canadian investment threads and blogs anywhere. The extra 30-35% tax credit makes it a no brainer imo.

I really don't have enough faith in small-to-mid-size Canadian companies to consider the tax credit worth the increased risk. Not to mention the management fees are usually high, even for Canadian standards.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I got my Fido card already, the one with the 4% back on foreign transactions (and 2.5% exchange fee for a net 1.5% reward). I ordered it a week ago.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

I mean I would like it if the historical data shows that it at least matched my tangerine fund. Basically that it grows a decent amount.

I trust Vanguard to have what they say they have in those ETFs. I'm not really in love with how over-represented Canadian equities are in those ETFs, but I'll probably still use these for my parent's investments, as I'm already averaging 0.19% MER for their portfolio's and .03% is definitely not worth my time.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

What's the difference between a fund that tracks an index and an etf that tracks that same index?

http://funds.rbcgam.com/pdf/fund-pages/quarterly/rbf556_e.pdf

http://funds.rbcgam.com/pdf/fund-pages/quarterly/rcan_e.pdf

These two for instance track the same index, but one has a MER of 0.72% while the etf has a "Management Fee" of 0.05%.

On another note, I've had a large part of my retirement and other investments in this RBC fund:

http://funds.rbcgam.com/pdf/fund-pages/quarterly/rbf554_e.pdf

The returns have been pretty good, but that MER of 1.93% bothers me. That 7.8% average return minus the 1.93% means that the fund has averaged an effective return of 5.87%, right? That's not too bad, but that Canadian Index Fund has averaged 7.7% for a much smaller MER.

ETFs require the investor to buy/sell them through a stock broker or via a self-directed brokerage, whereas the buying and selling is handled by the fund managers with mutual funds. Is this reason enough to justify the very high fees charged by Canadian mutual fund managers? Hell no, but, well, Paying More is our National Pastime.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

RBC does charge a commission for purchasing ETFs ($35 + 0.05 per share) through a representative, but if you were investing a fair amount and not moving it around, that price would be negligible over time. I know you can get a cheaper rate trading online, but I do like my financial consultant, and there would be certain... political considerations with other members of my household if I wanted to do this without consulting our guy.

But, I can drop my tax return (or any other random) money into a mutual fund whenever I want for no up front cost. If I was buying ETFs in less than chunks of $5,000 ($35 / 0.72%), purchasing the stock would, at least initially cost more than the fund (and this is ignoring any maintenance fee on the ETF), so I can see the appeal for someone not ready to commit.

It's funny, because I usually think of stocks as the vehicle for people that want to micromanage their money, but when you take the commission into account versus the built-in fees of a fund, it seems to my naive mind that no-load funds give you more flexibility.

But really, I just want to squeeze out that extra percent or two. Maybe the index fund is a good intermediate step.

What, are you married to the president of RBC? If you want the extra percent just open an account with Questrade, make some free ETF buys, Bob's your uncle.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

What is VGRO and VBAL?

ETF funds with "Growth" centric and "Balance" centric allocations of funds (respectively) to stocks/bonds.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/mvc/loadImage?country=can&docId=12396

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/mvc/loadImage?country=can&docId=12397

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2018/02/05/vanguards-one-fund-solution/

Edit:There's also a "Conservative" ETF fund, but unless you're already retired it's probably a bit too bond-centric
https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/mvc/loadImage?country=can&docId=12394

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 24, 2018

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I appreciate Questrade's "authorized trader" system, it's made it managing my boomer parent's investments easy so they don't have to pay mutual fund fees.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 24, 2018

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone recommend a good daily use credit card? I'm with tangerine right now, but since they dropped the cash back rates I've soured on it.

Are any of the travel cards worth it without going through hardcore churning route?

poo poo, I just realized I really need to get on replacing my Amazon card asap.

I do a lot of shopping at Superstore and the combo of 3% back on their World Elite Mastercard at their stores (Shoppers, No frills, Esso, etc) and the "PC Optimum" points/coupon system gets me at least $20/month back on stuff I'm already buying.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

The closest I came was shifting my bond holdings from VAB to VSC cause I was pretty sure interest rates were gonna rise.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeah, I think I have about 15-20% of the equity part of my portfolio invested in either industry specific ETFs or individual companies. A small enough amount that losing it won't ruin me, but enough that big upswings will help a lot.
The important part is to remain disciplined enough to rebalance it at least once a year, even if you think your picks will keep going to the moon.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Bucswabe posted:

This may be a really basic question, but I can't seem to find an answer through Google:

If you have a non-registered account on Questrade, do you pay capital gains taxes on every sale of an ETF? Or do you only pay tax if money is withdrawn from the account?

Similarly, for an RRSP account, are there any tax implications for dividends or selling ETFs all within the account, or do taxes only come into play when you withdraw money?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions, but I've only ever dealt in TFSAs through Questrade, so it's never been an issue.
You have to calculate your adjusted cost base for your capital gain yourself. I use https://www.adjustedcostbase.ca/.
As a note, at least in my experience, Questrade will report your full sell price to the CRA, but will leave the ACB as 0, so if you're doing your taxes with a program like simpletax or turbotax where it can import info from the CRA, it will bring in the information on the sale, but you'll need to go in and enter the ACB on the T5008 or it'll default to treating the whole sell price as a capital gain.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 26, 2018

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

The Butcher posted:

I would just like to note I am still super happy with Questrade since switching from TD a year or so ago, and highly recommend it for others as well.

Decided I wanted to buy some things in USD later, so did the Norberts Gambit. Pop open their chat to request the journaling, connects instantly with a support person, request completed within 2 minutes.

Quick and easy. TD has no chat, and if you email them it usually takes 2-3 business days for a reply. Calling them I was usually waiting on hold for awhile, and also forced to talk to a person.

Text chat is always preferable to me if it's an option.
:goonsay:

What stock do you use for the Norbert's Gambit, if you don't mind me asking?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

TD definitely supports device-based 2 factor, we've got one of their little key generator devices where I work. Might be business client only, though.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Couch Potato guy's portfolio is way over on Canada, IMO. Considering probably your job and your house is also located here, having a third of your equity portfolio also be concentrated in our economically tiny nation also seems way unbalanced.
I think the Vanguard portfolio ETFs are also over-weighted on Canada, so I balance them out with an all-world-equity-ex-canada ETF. Keeping 2 ETFs balanced is pretty easy.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

If she literally has zero risk tolerance just use fixed income stuff like this or something similar.

Bond indexes still have some short-term risk, especially as interest rates rise, so shorter-term bond index funds like VSC have less short-term risk.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

I was thinking the other day about TFSAs, and if, in the case where you have non-registered investments and TFSA investments, if there is ever any scenario where it makes sense to withdrawl everything in the TFSA into cash, wait until you can contribute again, and move a bunch of your registered investments into the TFSA.

Of course when you move a registered investment into a TFSA you pay capital gains tax on this, so it seems like there'd be no point to doing this if the equity in the TFSA you were selling was the same as the equity you were moving into the TFSA. The same effect would be had if one just sold their unregistered equity. (eg. Huzzah I sold 100 shares of MSFT for a big tax free gain, now to move 100 shares of MSFT into my TFSA... oops I have to pay capital gains tax).

So the only scenario I can think where it makes sense is:

Your marginal tax rate is (temporarily?) low and you expect it to go higher in the future.

Say you're travelling around the world for a year and you're going to have near zero income. Would it make sense to clear out your TFSA, and then refill it from the sale of unregistered equities at a very low marginal tax rate?

Does this make any sense? Can anyone think of another situation? I mean other than "I need money now for a down payment on a house so I need to clear out my TFSA."

If your tax rate is temporarily low and you need money why not just take it out of your RRSP? If you don't think your tax rate will ever be as low then there's no better time.
Same for the travelling around the world. RRSP isn't strictly for retirement, taking money out whenever your tax rate is at it's nadir and you need income is good practice.
TFSA on the other hand is much better to just leave untouched until retirement, as you'll get the maximum compounding tax-free return the longer you leave your investments in there.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

cowofwar posted:

If you had a TFSA, RRSP, and unregistered accounts would you go equities/growth 100% in TFSA?

Depends on timeframe, if you lose money inside a TFSA it sucks hard as you don't get more contribution room due to losses so that room is gone forever. So if you're needing to pull money out of the TFSA in the next 5-10 years then full equity can be risky. Also, interest from bonds is taxed at your full rate (vs dividends which are taxed at a lower rate), so it might make sense to stuff them in registered accounts.

I think it depends a lot on your situation, but as a young guy who won't be retiring for a long while, I personally try to keep my income/bonds in my RRSP, fill my TFSA with equity (especially international equity), and keep Canadian equity in my unregistered. However, keeping a proper balance should always be a higher priority than any tax advantages.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Less Fat Luke posted:

I don't think that's really a good plan; the gains and dividends inside your RRSP are also tax sheltered and interrupting that potential compounding before you have to is not a great strategy IMHO.

Well, the scenario is needing money and the choice of taking money out of either an RRSP or a TFSA. If you have the funds you need in an unregistered account, you should certainly use those first.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I'm also dealing with this right now, but I'm pretty sure my work let's me do a transfer once a year.
I was elated when I looked up the balanced and diversified fund my contribution is going to has an MER of only 0.11%! But then noticed that on top of that the institution was charging me 0.5% every quarter. Hopefully it doesn't cost anything to get it over to my Questrade.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Someone I know mentioned that dentists often refuse to open on Fridays because the way that they are taxed as a business means they would lose money were they pushed into the next tax bracket and cited business taxes being different than personel when I asked about the first $x being taxed at one rate with the remainder taxed at another.

This sounds like it’s wrong, and I haven’t found any evidence of this in the brief research that I’ve done. Is there any truth to it? It feels like some sort of anti tax rhetoric.

Well, the small business tax deduction on the first $500 000 of income is phased out as total income goes between $10M and $15M. One of the companies I used to work for split itself into like 9 distinct entities to ensure it would keep getting the deduction. It made accounting a nightmare.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

But even so, without the numbers in front of me, I don’t think there’s a circumstance where earning another dollar will net you less in the final result. Taxes are nice to businesses.

Yes you're right. Dentists are worse with money than even doctors, and that's saying something.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

If it's Investors Group I can almost guarantee the MER is over 2%. Run from them like your money is on fire.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Boy I really wish Questrade would stop going down any time there's even a moderately busy trading Monday morning.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

EKDS5k posted:

So...where do I start?

I agree with pokeyman, take your time and do your research. canadiancouchpotato.com is a great resource for learning about low-cost investing, and this thread is great for answering any specific questions.

Right now the most important thing is that you don't start inflating your lifestyle to match your new income. It's very easy to convince yourself that your new big paycheque means you deserve a new big expensive truck or a larger house or to start going out for food or drinks way more often, but it's important to keep in mind that you have a lot of catching up to do with regards to your savings.

Maybe once you've filled up your and your wife's TFSAs and ploughed a couple hundred grand into your RRSPs then you can start to let the dollars fly a bit more, but right now you need to just appreciate the sense of relief that not living paycheck-to-paycheck brings all on its own.

Also if you plan to send your kids to post-secondary school, you should start putting money into RESPs for them, but be mindful of the rules regarding contribution matching. You can only "catch up" 1 extra year at a time.
https://retirehappy.ca/resp-contribution-rules/

Also, if you don't feel you have time to learn all about DIY investing, then start by learning what the account types you might have available to you are and how they work (TFSA, RRSP, RESP, LIRA) and what is meant by Balanced, Conservative, and Growth investing, and then you can look into a roboadvisor that will take care of the actual investing part for a much lower fee than you'd pay with a bank mutual fund. Check out https://autoinvest.ca/calculator/ for some options.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 29, 2018

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

You can spend RESP money on more than university tuition. It’s fine for colleges, professional education, equipment for self-teaching, etc.

Not with CST you can't. It's heavily restricted on what you can take money out for. I think you get penalized if your kid does anything other than a 4 year degree. Combined with the astronomical fees (I read something like 20% of contributions go to fees) and braindead low-return investments (almost all bonds), CST is dogshit. They only thing they're good at is marketing. Depending on how old your kids are EKDS and how much you've invested you would likely be better off cutting your losses and switching to a regular low-fee index-based RESP.

EKDS5k posted:

Just to make sure I understand spousal RRSPs: The idea is that I should contribute equally to both of them, so we have two smaller RRSPs, so ideally we get taxed less when we start withdrawing? Is that the gist of it?

You can spread your RRSP contributon limit over as many RRSP accounts as you want, regular or spousal, and the total contributions get deducted from your gross income for tax purposes. However, if you contribute to a spousal plan, and then don't contribute to it (or any other spousal plan) for 3 years, that money can then be withdrawn by your spouse at their tax rate. So a common practice is to dump a bunch into the spousal RRSP to lower your taxes and then pull it back out 3 years later at a lower tax rate.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Give a read to section 4 of A Review of Registered Education Savings Plan Industry Practices conducted by Human Resources and Social Development Canada(2008) (nice, catchy title) for all the fun and horrifying details, as of 2008. I don't imagine they've gotten much better.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

EKDS5k posted:

According to their prospectus they average 3-6%. Since I'm not maxed out for my RESP contributions with them, would it make any sense to open a separate RESP and invest that money into higher returning stocks? I plan on basically following the CCP method of having a balanced portfolio anyway, so wouldn't that balance out the lower returning bonds from CST?

If you're not getting the max Canada Education Savings Grant return then you should absolutely set up RESPs for your kids and top up to the $2500 contributions per kid. There's nowhere else you'll get an instant 20% return.
And given that you're starting the plans later, definitely do individual RESPs rather than a family RESPs. Individual RESPs don't need to be emptied until the plan turns 31 years old, whereas family RESPs need to be emptied out by the time the oldest beneficiary turns 31 years old. And individual RESPs can be easily transferred to blood relatives if one child doesn't use it.

Nobody said CST is fraudulent, they're just a very very bad investment vehicle.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 2, 2018

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I just got this e-mail from my Fido mastercard, I guess soon you won't have to call and request a credit once a year anymore

Redeeming just got a whole lot better posted:

Dear Square Peg,

Starting soon, you'll be able to redeem your cash back rewards on any purchase you make on your Rogers BankTM Mastercard®, anywhere Mastercard® is accepted at 44 million locations worldwide.

Get ready to turn your purchases into free purchases using your cash back rewards, including:

-RogersTM products and services
-Gas, groceries, restaurants and other everyday purchases
-Flights, gifts, home improvements and other big ticket purchases – the choice is yours!

The redemption process stays the same – once you've earned a minimum of $20 in cash back rewards, you can start redeeming towards any eligible purchase.

Until then, keep using your Rogers Bank Mastercard on everyday purchases to maximize your cash back rewards balance!

Minimum purchase and redemption amount of $20. Cash back rewards apply up to lesser of purchase amount or rewards balance. Some exceptions apply, including cash advances and cash equivalents. Rewards are not refundable. Account must be in good standing. See Reward Program Terms and Conditions, rogersbank.com/legal.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

jm20 what is happening right now, should I transfer my vun to vab for a bit? everyone seems pretty gloomy about their rrsps.

That's the opposite of how you rebalance. Stocks are on sale, might as well load up!

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeast Confection posted:

The financial advisor that got me on it obviously doesn't want me to cancel it. Whole Life policies have come up here before as being generally bad?

Whole life insurance is basically just a high-fee low-growth mutual fund tied to a regular term insurance plan. I think there are some mild tax advantages, but you'll almost certainly come out ahead taking the extra you're paying over a term plan and shoveling it into VBAL or some other low fee etfs, especially if you still have RRSP or TFSA or RESP room.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

just another posted:

I'm contributing $3600/year to my kiddo's RESP and I think with the 20% CESG matching, that puts me on track to hit his contribution limit when he's around 12. Assuming the money is going into savings either way, what do you guys think makes more sense:

1. Scaling back my annual RESP contributions to $2500 to max the CESG matching, and putting the other $1100 somewhere else; or,
2. Leave my RESP contributions unchanged to maximize that sweet sweet compound interest?

Yeah, I think the penalty for pulling out unspent income/gains from an RESP is 20%, on top of your marginal tax rate.
Contributions can be taken out tax free though, but unspent grant money goes back to the government.
Better to use a TFSA for any excess if you have the room, or otherwise a spousal-RRSP if your partner doesn't work.
With a spousal RRSP, just stop contributing to it 3 calendar years before sending the kiddo to school (i.e. if they start in September 2025 stop contributing by Dec 31 2022) and the money can be withdrawn at your spouse's tax rate.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Sadly from what I've seen most of the ethical funds available still include oil and gas. They also exclude nuclear power generation, so that's a double "gently caress-you" to the environment I guess.
There are some that do though, and all tend to exclude tobacco, gambling, military weapons, and the like.

http://blog.modernadvisor.ca/socially-responsible-etfs/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

I actually came in to ask a similar question. I have my RRSP with matching at work, but I have an option to transfer away from it once per year without penalty, so basically after it gets it's match, I can transfer to the fund I actually want. And what I actually want is an ethical investment that invests in solutions, not causes of problems.

This was fairly simple for me to do in NZ with the retirement savings scheme there, but I'm very ignorant of how things work here.

Is there an ethical RRSP I can look into?

You can open an RRSP at a discount broker like Questrade, transfer your funds to it, and then invest those funds into any of the ETFs that were on the page I linked in my last post

Edit: ETF =/= EFT, thank you pokeyman

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 24, 2019