Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

So I figured this is a great time to start investing properly and not let my cash rot in savings accounts/high-MER bank-managed funds and put my TFSA contribution room to use.

Is there a bank that has reasonable/no TFSA fees? I'm with scotiabank right now and would have a high enough balance to waive the recurring fees, but it looks like their TFSAs have a $150 withdrawal fee regardless of the amount, which basically means I cannot touch it at all for any reason and is really stupid!

Heck, I could just move banks entirely. Not really fond of Scotia anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Are you sure that's not a transfer out fee, i.e. to transfer your holdings in kind to another bank/broker? Seems insane that you'd have to pay $150 to just withdraw cash from a TFSA. (Then again, *taps thread title*)

What are you looking to hold in your TFSA? If cash, check out https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/ (sort by TFSA rate) and investigate fees for anything that looks interesting.

Ah, that probably is the transfer out fee. I thought transfer out meant literally any transfer out of the account :doh:

I was going to put it in vanguard ETFs so needed to open an account through their itrade

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I am a little confused on how to properly report my income on my tax return. The entire year I worked remotely for the same foreign employer, but I emigrated about a third through the year. Fully emigrated, no ties to Canada.

As far as I can tell, I'm only supposed to report income for the portion of the year I lived in Canada, but then I'm taxed as though I earned a poverty wage (ie. under 10%) Surely that can't be right?

But if I enter my whole year income then I'm taxed at an absurdly high rate -- as it seems the credits are prorated to my departure date, but the income isn't.

Maybe the software I'm using is getting it wrong? :confused:

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 15, 2022

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

From a brief google it seems that many exchanges also have a minimum share price to be listed (at least above 0.10), so a reverse split may be a necessity rather than just aesthetic.

Gambled and lost seems like the best description. If he had a case he'd probably have better luck finding a lawyer.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

kaom posted:

Re. rationale on paying down the mortgage, we were up for renewal so we could make a penalty-free payment. I’m not sure it was financially optimal compared to accepting a higher interest rate and hoping to win out with the investments increasing in value, but it’s close enough I’d have to actually calculate it out now with the benefit of knowing exactly what the market did. At the time it was more about reducing our risk than anything, since we didn’t know if markets would rebound as rates went up (we could have lost on both fronts) and we had a relatively short window (1-2 years) in which we were hoping to be spending money on a new home. If we were only looking long term I’m not really sure if we would’ve done the same thing. We also had no idea if house prices would start coming down, so whether we needed the TFSA for that or for retirement was also up in the air. :shrug: I guess put us in the “psychological safety” bucket, not so much number crunching.

In the end we’re moving next month and did need the full home equity, but we don’t need anything more out of our savings, so I think it worked out okay?

Financial security is worth it. It's life, not minmaxing a number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

qhat posted:

Does anyone have experience with asking their bank to raise their e-transfer limits beyond the standard like 3k? I’ve got rent to pay that exceeds the daily limits at most of the banks (me and my girlfriend pay roughly 3.5k), I’m with HSBC atm which allows me to transfer 7k at once, but since HSBC is going to RBC I’d like to know what banks are good about this (I know RBC isn’t, I was with them before and had a whole thing with them about this).

If it's anything like other types of withdrawal limits, you just ask them and they say ok. (my experience with scotiabank)