Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I hear cruise ship and airline stocks are a great deal right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Taxes aren't due until June 1st, because of ~*ThE ViRuS*~.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sorry, I thought I was posting on the comedy webforum that made tribute.wmv, I didn't realize I actually submitted my post for peer review at The Lancet.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There isn't much wiggle room between the current rates and zero, so you probably won't get them to budge much.

When I got my mortgage (5 years ago), TD had some sort of deal where you could get some kind of life insurance for a discounted rate. I signed up for that and canceled it before payments kicked in and still kept the lower rate. It was like 0.3% lower.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

He can just withdraw to get back down to his allowed amount, no?

No, because he lost all the money in his TFSA.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Inflation was 3.4% last week. The target is 2%, but BOC is keeping its rate at 0.25% until the pandemic ends. I'd expect rates to go up as the pandemic wanes, so I'd go for the fixed rate.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I dumped my entire TFSA into Moderna at $40. :homebrew:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm still in. :smug:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lol, "Should I wait to see if the Liberals keep an election promise?" Hahaha, that's loving funny!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's complicated based on a number of factors, but it sounds like you might be working for a Canadian-controlled private corporation (CCPC), in which case you pay tax when you dispose of the share, not when you exercise the option. There's also a 50% deduction you might be eligible for based on some qualifying factors.

The rules are more complicated for non-CCPC employers and just changed in 2021, so it's worth talking to a tax accountant for a definitive answer.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Costco only accepts Mastercard in store.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I've used HUB before to get a good quote, but you could also try going through your bank to see if they will give a bundle discount.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Right now the fear of raising interest rates is making buyers reluctant and putting downward pressure on housing prices, but the Bank of Canada is projecting inflation to decline to about 3% by the end of 2023, and to return to the 2% target by the end of 2024. This indicates that this reprieve from skyrocketing housing prices is only temporary, which might make now a good time to buy. But a lot can happen between now and 2024.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

lol if u still think income has anything to do with housing prices in Canada after the last 30 years.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In BC, real estate transactions are under the jurisdiction of the BC Financial Services Authority. Anybody can request to review a copy of a development disclosure statement at the BCFSA superintendent’s office. You can also get a copy of a disclosure statement for a fee.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Cannot imagine trusting my money to what sounds like two Icelandic Christmas elves though...

Saven Del Duca used to be the leader of the Ontario Liberal Party.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canada doesn't have an inheritance tax per se, but if you die and you don't have a spouse or surviving partner, the CRA says that all of your capital assets are "sold" for fair market value at the time of your death and your estate has to pay capital gains tax on any capital gains.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wow, in Ontario the Human Rights Code does not apply if you share a bathroom with your landlord or landlord’s family.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sure, carrying a loss back 3 years is fine, but what's really wild is that you can carry forward a loss to apply it against any profit that you might make over the next 10 years.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oops, sorry it's 20 years.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A company's stock price doesn't decrease when it pays a dividend, its equity decreases.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Canada discontinued the Canada Savings Bonds program in 2017. The best alternative is getting a GIC from your bank, which will give you a guaranteed return of up to 5%.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

RBC just emailed me about a 4.05% savings account.

Wealth beyond measure, outlander.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It depends on the price and interest rate on the new car.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My wife and I got one for our kid through Canadian Scholarship Trust and they were very helpful. They sent someone to our house to answer all our questions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I did a PayPal charge back once. I bought a PS3 on E-Bay ages ago and the seller took the money and stopped responding. I didn't deal with PayPal at all, just called the credit card company. I recall that the recommendation at the time was to just deal with your credit card company because if you go through PayPal first and they "resolve" it your charge back might get denied.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Next time you should probably just do a chargeback instead of waiting for Paypal to pull its head out of its rear end.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

doesn't a chargeback to PayPal mean that they kill your account entirely?

They didn't back when I did one, but that was years ago and things might have changed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It isn't for medical payments, it's for everything else that you can't pay for because you're no longer working.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

why would you want canadian investments

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Unless this boils down to people thinking the stock market and global financial system is going to collapse.

This is what goldbugs actually believe.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Looks like it's a pain in the rear end.

Your first step is contacting a Licensed Insolvency Trustee.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I completely divested from Canadian stocks awhile ago and it was 100% worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Pls do your patriotic duty and buy Canadian stocks.

Don't do this if you like money.