Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On Pokeyman's recommendation I'm crossposting from the CanPol thread. Partly my frustration at how bad government websites are to navigate and deal with government websites and partly my frustration at how student loan repayments keep derailing any attempts I make to save money and maybe actually spend it on things beyond necessities.

Dunno if there's a more appropriate thread for this. I absolutely hate navigating government websites. I'm out $500 this morning because of the national student loans website, which somehow gave me maybe four different responses that were each wrong.

So I'm repaying student loans and I've been using the repayment assistance plan. My last six months expired at the end of April so I reapplied. Now what is supposed to happen is when your application is being processed, your payments are frozen until your application is approved or refused. Not that this really matters because I'm set up for direct deposit.

Anyways, after two weeks in May where it wouldn't even let me reapply for RAP because it thought I had another application on file I finally got my application submitted. Then I received an email from NSLSC addressed to another applicant with the wrong reference number saying there were going to be processing delays. Then i checked the website again and saw my application had been rejected because I have outstanding payments. Payments that should have been frozen while the application was being processed. So I drop $500 to clear my late payments and I try to reapply, only for the website to tell me that I can't start a new application while my current application is being processed. The application that I just checked and was told had been refused.

I never received an email telling me the status of my application, my NSLSC account inbox hasn't sent me any notifications, I got someone else's email about their account payments and I'm out $500 just to put my repayment back in good standing because government websites are run by chimpanzees. Either they should hire more people to actually have human eyes read over application s or they should fire whatever programmer automated their websites.

I dont make that much money so a $500 payment on top of my other expenses like rent and food isn't something I'm too keen on unless I never want to take a vacation or travel before I'm 40. It's been pissing me off all morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a question regarding documents for renting. I'm filling out an application and the landlords are asking for me to include a credit report. I went online to Transunion, made an account and downloaded a consumer disclosure pdf with my info on file. Is this what they need or is it something else? The document says it should only be for personal use so I don't know if it's actually what is needed for the rental application or if the rental application is using muddied wordings and I actually need a different piece of documentation for my credit info.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why must the banks be so exhausting to deal with. All I needed was to increase my daily transaction limit. But the bank won't allow me to do that because I opened my account in the central region and I'm currently living in the eastern region so they can't do poo poo. And transferring everything to the eastern region is impossible because they'd want me to open a new account. So now the only way to change things in my account is via phone calls or in-person bullshit and I'm about five hours away from the branch where I originally opened my account ten years ago.

All this online banking poo poo and yet changing anything meaningful needs to be in person with obstinate and incompetent bank tellers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VelociBacon posted:

I'm with HSBC and RBC is going to buy them? Should I look for another bank or is RBC good?

I'm with RBC and see my above post about their tellers being exhausting to work with.

Day to day online banking with them is fine but I'm still irritated over this morning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Funny enough while the bank tellers at the RBC here in Ottawa were completely useless, once I got on the phone with the branch in Guelph they were able to change my transaction rates in five minutes and four of those minutes were spent trying to tell me about online offers. So score one for Guelph RBC it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I pay my rent via e-transfers and today when I was checking my balance i saw that daily e-transfer limits have been upped to 10,000 CAD. Two years ago I actually had to up my daily transfer limit so I could pay rent in one go and RBC told me the hard cap was something like 2800 CAD.

Have enough people started to move away from cheques to online banking for rent payments that the banks have finally starter upping the limits?