Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

There's also Tangerine, probably the only real difference is you get Scotiabank ATMs vs Simplii's CIBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

There are no ethical investments, hth

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Stop this

Square Peg posted:

Once the money is in the broker RRSP, I would go to their trading platform and look up some of the Electronically Traded Funds (ETF)

pokeyman posted:

These are presumably just typos but given the basic level of the questions (and I don’t mean that disparagingly, they’re good questions) I figured it was worth avoiding confusion: these should both read "ETFs" and/or "Exchange-Traded Funds".

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You fill out Questrade's transfer form and they handle the rest. You don't have to do anything with your old institution.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yeah that's the whole point of filling out the transfer form instead of moving the money yourself.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I say you should keep a mix of TFSA and RRSP.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I want to say you can reduce your taxes in retirement by withdrawing from both RRSP and TFSA, so that a greater proportion of your RRSP withdrawals are in a lower / zero tax bracket, but I don't know how to do the math on that. But it sounds true???

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

kuddles posted:

So I read the OP as well of a couple other threads in here as well as some articles through googling and I'm still at the point where I feel too dumb.

I currently have money taken out of my account for an RRSP mutual fund that I've had for a decade now through my bank (TD). The MER on it is pretty high so it's something I might re-consider in the future but based on the dividends it gets I think it's doing alright.

I am now at the point where I have no debt, I have extra money through my company's profit sharing, and my emergency funds are stocked up, so I would like to put even more money away. I'm thinking of putting money into an ETF through a TFSA but the information seems so overwhelming - with different sites suggesting different portfolios. I already have an account through Questrade because I do a little minor stock trading for funsies so that's why I was thinking about ETFs, but now I'm wondering if I would be better just sticking this extra weekly money into a TFSA mutual fund as well. Can I just put my money into an ETF like VBAL, or should I be putting it into a variety of ETFs?

TLDR: I want to put some additional money into something maybe a little higher risk than my conservative RRSP mutual fund, but I still want something that I don't have to pay attention to much and likely won't withdraw for at least a decade.

You need to get out of the TD fund ASAP. It's very easy, just open an RRSP account at Questrade, fill out the transfer form, and they will handle it. And you already know how to buy shares on Questrade, so no reason not to do it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

xtal posted:

TD e-Series mutual funds are perfectly fine. TBH just go to https://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/ and copy and paste one of them into your bank.

Why would you buy 4 e-series funds when you could buy 1 vanguard ETF that does the same thing, rebalances for you, and is cheaper

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

xtal posted:

I don't think they're the same things? The tradeoffs are explained on the page. For myself I have my (smaller, frequently-contributed-to) TFSA in e-Series, and my (larger, infrequently-contributed-to) RRSP in ETFs.

They are pretty much the same except the vanguard ETFs contain foreign bonds.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I think robo-advisor fees are a bit cheaper than tangerine funds these days, I haven't used any myself though so I don't know what using one is like.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

untzthatshit posted:

Meanwhile the Roth and RRSP would be growing separately for that 5 year period instead of the RRSP compounding interest on a higher starting balance from day one.

That's not how math works.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Femtosecond posted:

Canada Debt Bubble x Canada Finance Post

Is there any way I can sell a bunch of equities in non-registered accounts for a down payment on a house and not have all that capital gain land in the same year? Seems like no?

Property in Vancouver is dropping in value to the point where it's getting a bit more enticing to buy something if something cheap came along (will the last bear left turn out the lights?), but with the amount of equities in non-registered accounts I'd need to sell, the tax bill would be big.

(I would not be touching my retirement RRSP account so no I'm not YOLO going all in on Vancouver housing)

Empty your maxed-out TFSA (which you definitely have, right?) and sell your non-registered equities over the next few years to refill it? And I know you said you're not touching your RRSP, but consider the Home Buyers Plan if you're eligible for it (borrow 25K from your RRSP, same idea as with the TFSA).

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

CRISPYBABY posted:

Also, I'm 28 and literally my entire portfolio is 3 different vanguard index funds split 1/3 1/3 1/3 ish (Canada, S&P 500, Global excl NA). I only have a quite small amount of money in my TFSA so far, 2.5K, so I figured I'd keep it extremely simple until I have enough money that splitting things up more is more viable. Every month I toss in another 500 bucks into some assortment of those three things. Should I be looking to diversify more? Is there a recommended number of funds for a couch potato? I'm extremely lazily trying to cover the global market but I'd imagine that you're probably suppposed to have a few more funds than I do. Or are you?

You can achieve maximum laziness and maximum diversification by buying one of these asset allocation ETFs. They are about 0.1% more expensive than holding the multiple funds yourself though.

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/individual/etfs/about-our-asset-allocation-etfs.htm

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If you have anything in a regular account (non RRSP/TFSA) and transfer it now, you won't have to worry about capital gains tax :v:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know how actively you invest but if you've lost 5-10% more than index ETFs in the last 2 weeks maybe you should be placing protective puts?

VGRO is down 20% from its peak

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ditched BMO for Tangerine many years ago, they just can't compete with direct banking

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

First of all, post the actual number you're currently getting.

Second, sound the sagebrush alarm, he's always going on about how everyone should do this and how affordable it is

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Then yeah, you can probably do better. My unused tangerine LOC is at prime + 1% for example. Although that is from years ago and I am very fortunate to have low expenses, YMMV etc

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I don't give them 20bux anymore because they're Wealthsimple Tax now

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I did that whole rigmarole once, but only because I had switched to a one-fund portfolio and there was an opportunity to reduce the tax hit of that

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

An idea I've had is that, in retirement, one could withdraw from the RRSP and TFSA at the same time, thereby artifically lowering the tax rate on the RRSP. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Guest2553 posted:

Well you can use the silver to fight werewolves. Stakes are naturally occuring so vampires are covered. Not sure what diversifying into gold protects you from???

piglins