Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

So does that mean the character will not show up again?

How does Jamie train? The whole point of training with Ilyn was because he couldn't speak and tell people about how terrible Jamie is left handed.

Given how massively Wilko Johnson is throwing himself into his work I think we might get those scenes next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I always kind of pictured Antonio Banderas as the Viper. But, like, Desperado/13th Warrior Banderas. Not modern Banderas, with his saggy face and tired eyes.

I'd like to see what you would look like after two decades of Melanie Griffith :rimshot:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I also thought that Dorne was predominately very, very dark skinned people. But I can't think of specific parts of the books that support this. Some of my friends who read the books imagined they were basically all Black African looking people. So I have to say I was a bit surprised at how light-skinned the viper was too. I guess I need to reread those first chapters to see the actual descriptions.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baldbeard posted:

I also thought that Dorne was predominately very, very dark skinned people. But I can't think of specific parts of the books that support this. Some of my friends who read the books imagined they were basically all Black African looking people. So I have to say I was a bit surprised at how light-skinned the viper was too. I guess I need to reread those first chapters to see the actual descriptions.

The Dornish are described as usually described as olive-skinned, but there's a mix of races going on. Salt Dornes, coastal inhabitants who are olive skinned. Sandy Dornes, the desert dwellers, who are darker. Stony Dornes, who live in the mountains who are white.

It's basically Andalusian Spain with the Rhoynes being North African and/or Arab mixed with the Andal original inhabiants who are Celtic-ish Europeans.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 13, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oberst posted:

Nthing that the thread title is amazing. Can't wait for all my illiterate friends to get attached to Oberyn

I cannot wait for the unsullied to decide that the thread retroactively spoiled them or something.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dorne's population is basically described the same as Spain or Italy ethnicity wise, about one third of the population (Sandy Dornishman) are pretty dark skinned while the other two thirds are either olive skinned (Salty Dornishman, Oberyn and most Martells are described as such) or regular Andals/First-Men and look the same as everyone else in Westeros, such as the Daynes who all have blond hair and blue/purple eyes or Gerris Drinkwater who is also blonde and blue-eyed.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 13, 2013

Syndic
Jul 5, 2012
I think the tumblr massive are confusing the Dornish with the Summer Islanders. People from the Summer Isles are described as being black skinned and are the closest to the books' 'African' ethnicity, as I recall. I always took the Dornish as being almost stereotypically Spanish - y'know, hot-tempered, flamboyant, lusty dudes and ladies.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm wondering if a Stark reunion won't end in tragedy.

Maybe reunions are cool in direwolf/zombie form.

Sansa Stark prepares a coup de grâce against House Lannister as Arya is assigned a contract against Alayne Stone. Meanwhile, the Brotherhood without Banners marches against the Eyrie to kill the traitor Littlefinger and his court.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Syndic posted:

I think the tumblr massive are confusing the Dornish with the Summer Islanders. People from the Summer Isles are described as being black skinned and are the closest to the books' 'African' ethnicity, as I recall. I always took the Dornish as being almost stereotypically Spanish - y'know, hot-tempered, flamboyant, lusty dudes and ladies.

Well no, they weren't confusing anything. Oberyn's olive-skinned, and the actor they cast looks quite a bit paler than that description.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

QuoProQuid posted:

Sansa Stark prepares a coup de grâce against House Lannister as Arya is assigned a contract against Alayne Stone. Meanwhile, the Brotherhood without Banners marches against the Eyrie to kill the traitor Littlefinger and his court.

That reminds me, where are people getting this theory that Arya's first hit as a Faceless Man will be Alayne Stone?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Azure_Horizon posted:

Well no, they weren't confusing anything. Oberyn's olive-skinned, and the actor they cast looks quite a bit paler than that description.

A Chilean cast in a role as a fake spaniard! When will the whitewashing in Hollywood stop! I mean their Spanish is hardly recognizable!

^^^ it sounds like something GRRM would do

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ballz posted:

That reminds me, where are people getting this theory that Arya's first hit as a Faceless Man will be Alayne Stone?

A sense of irony. There's no reason why Arya's first hit would even be anyone on Westeros, much less some minor bastard shacking up with Littlefinger. Most likely she's going to take out some Braavosi merchant or politician or some such.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ballz posted:

I guess it comes from the assumption that Arya will be sent to kill someone who is central to the plot and also because Arya doesn't know 'Alayna Stone' which means that she's qualified to go after her.

But anyway, Arya already had her first Faceless Man job.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I guess it comes from the assumption that Arya will be sent to kill someone who is central to the plot and also because Arya doesn't know 'Alayna Stone' which means that she's qualified to go after her.

But anyway, Arya already had her first Faceless Man job.

Plus I'm pretty sure they have a rule about killing people they know after we had that "I know this man" part (hence the crew of the ship telling her their names and not letting her go till she knew them all).

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

jng2058 posted:

A sense of irony. There's no reason why Arya's first hit would even be anyone on Westeros, much less some minor bastard shacking up with Littlefinger. Most likely she's going to take out some Braavosi merchant or politician or some such.

Hasn't she already killed at least 1 person on the orders of the kindly man? I remember something about killing him with a poison gold coin or something.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
She killed a Braavosi insurance salesman with a poisoned coin.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
What is this Jaime getting lynched, Brienne saving him talk? I've read all the books and pretty sure he's still alive. Am I forgetting a scene? Or is this some speculation based on Season 3 of the show, which I haven't watched yet?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dorne's population is basically described the same as Spain or Italy ethnicity wise, about one third of the population (Sandy Dornishman) are pretty dark skinned while the other two thirds are either olive skinned (Salty Dornishman, Oberyn and most Martells are described as such) or regular Andals/First-Men and look the same as everyone else in Westeros, such as the Daynes who all have blond hair and blue/purple eyes or Gerris Drinkwater who is also blonde and blue-eyed.

Perhaps a certain speech from True Romance is in order.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

sighnoceros posted:

What is this Jaime getting lynched, Brienne saving him talk? I've read all the books and pretty sure he's still alive. Am I forgetting a scene? Or is this some speculation based on Season 3 of the show, which I haven't watched yet?

The last we see of Jaime in ADWD, Brienne is leading him to meet with Lady "Hang 'em High" Stoneheart. There's obvious speculation as to whether Brienne will carry out her betrayal or possibly save him.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Alright, that's what I thought people were referring to but the way it sounded was like there was something more concrete I wasn't aware of.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
It's speculation, but it's pretty solid - Brienne is leading him to Catelyn who is hanging anyone associated with Robb's death and her familly's downfall. So far that's only been the Freys (as far as we know at least), but pretty much everybody knows Roose was in on it (and Catelyn was there so she knows for sure) and that Tywin Lanister was behind it. Also, given the last words she heard were "Jaime Lannister sends his regards," it's pretty obvious what the verdict of whatever trial he gets will be.

e: The real question is what will Brienne do? She almost chose the rope, but they were hanging Pod and that other knight, so she chose "sword" in the end. Given the foreshadowing from the last few books, she could end up breaking her vows and killing her "Lady" like Jaime killed his king.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 14, 2013

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Given how massively Wilko Johnson is throwing himself into his work I think we might get those scenes next season.

The GoT production doesn't seem to keep massive secrets like that and I can't imagine when they would have had time to film it. He did finish up his music tour but that seemed like a much greater passion of his than acting. I don't think any of the official news actually said that he would never return to GoT though, so we can always hope something happens there. I really can't imagine how D&D could create original training scenes as effective as the Ilyn ones.

Regardless, he has already secured his legacy as a badass:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Narmi posted:

It's speculation, but it's pretty solid - Brienne is leading him to Catelyn who is hanging anyone associated with Robb's death and her familly's downfall. So far that's only been the Freys (as far as we know at least), but pretty much everybody knows Roose was in on it (and Catelyn was there so she knows for sure) and that Tywin Lanister was behind it. Also, given the last words she heard were "Jaime Lannister sends his regards," it's pretty obvious what the verdict of whatever trial he gets will be.

e: The real question is what will Brienne do? She almost chose the rope, but they were hanging Pod and that other knight, so she chose "sword" in the end. Given the foreshadowing from the last few books, she could end up breaking her vows and killing her "Lady" like Jaime killed his king.

I thought it was "Tywin Lannister sends his regards."?

edit you're right, but why did Bolton say Jaime?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 14, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought it was "Tywin Lannister sends his regards."?

No, it was Jaime Lannnister. Bolton was just doing what Jaime asked him to the last time they spoke! (Jaime told him to "Give Robb Stark my regards", not knowing the circumstances in which Bolton would next be seeing him.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Right, I remember that entire sequence now.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost

Narmi posted:

Plus I'm pretty sure they have a rule about killing people they know after we had that "I know this man" part (hence the crew of the ship telling her their names and not letting her go till she knew them all).

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I never picked up on that.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Narmi posted:

Given the foreshadowing from the last few books, she could end up breaking her vows and killing her "Lady" like Jaime killed his king.

This has to be the outcome of the Brienne, LS, Jaime scenario. Like you say it fits with the the theme of 'true' oath keeping (holding to one's own sense of right as opposed to literally following the wording). Also the Jaime-brienne relationship is too intriguing to write off just for the sake of keeping LS around.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Gaussian posted:

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I never picked up on that.
For me this is basically poo poo I never picked up on: the thread. I should probably get a re-read in before season 4 kicks off.

Took me a second to get the thread title, brilliant.

I hope Jaime lives, Nicolaj Coster-Waldau is doing a really good job of nudging the character bit by bit over to good guy territory. Him and Margaery were pretty much my favourites last season

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

sighnoceros posted:

Alright, that's what I thought people were referring to but the way it sounded was like there was something more concrete I wasn't aware of.

There's also the matter of Jaime's fever dream

quote:

Naked and alone he stood, surrounded by enemies, with stone walls all around him pressing close. The Rock, he knew. He could feel the immense weight of it above his head. He was home. He was home and whole.
He held his right hand up and flexed his fingers to feel the strength in them. It felt as good as sex. As good as swordplay. Four fingers and a thumb. He had dreamed that he was maimed, but it wasn’t so. Relief made him dizzy. My hand, my good hand. Nothing could hurt him so long as he was whole.
Around him stood a dozen tall dark figures in cowled robes that hid their faces. In their hands were spears. “Who are you?” he demanded of them. “What business do you have in Casterly Rock?”
They gave no answer, only prodded him with the points of their spears. He had no choice but to descend. Down a twisting passageway he went, narrow steps carved from the living rock, down and down. I must go up, he told himself.Up, not down. Why am I going down? Below the earth his doom awaited, he knew with the certainty of dream; something dark and terrible lurked there, something that wanted him. Jaime tried to halt, but their spears prodded him on. If only I had my sword, nothing could harm me.
The steps ended abruptly on echoing darkness. Jaime had the sense of vast space before him. He jerked to a halt, teetering on the edge of nothingness. A spearpoint jabbed at the small of the back, shoving him into the abyss. He shouted, but the fall was short. He landed on his hands and knees, upon soft sand and shallow water. There were watery caverns deep below Casterly Rock, but this one was strange to him. “What place is this?”
“Your place.” The voice echoed; it was a hundred voices, a thousand, the voices of all the Lannisters since Lann the Clever, who’d lived at the dawn of days. But most of all it was his father’s voice, and beside Lord Tywin stood his sister, pale and beautiful, a torch burning in her hand. Joffrey was there as well, the son they’d made together, and behind them a dozen more dark shapes with golden hair.
“Sister, why has Father brought us here?”
“Us? This is your place, Brother. This is your darkness.” Her torch was the only light in the cavern. Her torch was the only light in the world. She turned to go.
“Stay with me,” Jaime pleaded. “Don’t leave me here alone.” But they were leaving. “Don’t leave me in the dark!” Something terrible lived down here. “Give me a sword, at least.”
“I gave you a sword,” Lord Tywin said.
It was at his feet. Jaime groped under the water until his hand closed upon the hilt. Nothing can hurt me so long as I have a sword. As he raised the sword a finger of pale flame flickered at the point and crept up along the edge, stopping a hand’s breath from the hilt. The fire took on the color of the steel itself so it burned with a silvery-blue light, and the gloom pulled back. Crouching, listening, Jaime moved in a circle, ready for anything that might come out of the darkness. The water flowed into his boots, ankle deep and bitterly cold. Beware the water, he told himself. There may be creatures living in it, hidden deeps . . .
From behind came a great splash. Jaime whirled toward the sound . . . but the faint light revealed only Brienne of Tarth, her hands bound in heavy chains. “I swore to keep you safe,” the wench said stubbornly. “I swore an oath.” Naked, she raised her hands to Jaime. “Ser. Please. If you would be so good.”
The steel links parted like silk. “A sword,” Brienne begged, and there it was, scabbard, belt, and all. She buckled it around her thick waist. The light was so dim that Jaime could scarcely see her, though they stood a scant few feet apart. In this light she could almost be a beauty, he thought.In this light she could almost be a knight. Brienne’s sword took flame as well, burning silvery blue. The darkness retreated a little more.
“The flames will burn so long as you live,” he heard Cersei call. “When they die, so must you.”
“Sister!” he shouted. “Stay with me. Stay!” There was no reply but the soft sound of retreating footsteps.
Brienne moved her longsword back and forth, watching the silvery flames shift and shimmer. Beneath her feet, a reflection of the burning blade shone on the surface of the flat black water. She was as tall and strong as he remembered, yet it seemed to Jaime that she had more of a woman’s shape now.
“Do they keep a bear down here?” Brienne was moving, slow and wary, sword to hand; step, turn, and listen. Each step made a little splash. “A cave lion? Direwolves? Some bear? Tell me, Jaime. What lives here? What lives in the darkness?”
“Doom.” No bear, he knew. No lion. “Only doom.”
In the cool silvery-blue light of the swords, the big wench looked pale and fierce. “I mislike this place.”
“I’m not fond of it myself.” Their blades made a little island of light, but all around them stretched a sea of darkness, unending. “My feet are wet.”
“We could go back the way they brought us. If you climbed on my shoulders you’d have no trouble reaching that tunnel mouth.”
Then I could follow Cersei. He could feel himself growing hard at the thought, and turned away so Brienne would not see.
“Listen.” She put a hand on his shoulder, and he trembled at the sudden touch. She’s warm. “Something comes.” Brienne lifted her sword to point off to his left. “There.”
He peered into the gloom until he saw it too. Something was moving through the darkness, he could not quite make it out . . .
“A man on a horse. No, two. Two riders, side by side.”
“Down here, beneath the Rock?” It made no sense. Yet there came two riders on pale horses, men and mounts both armored. The destriers emerged from the blackness at a slow walk. They make no sound, Jaime realized. No splashing, no clink of mail nor clop of hoof. He remembered Eddard Stark, riding the length of Aerys’s throne room wrapped in silence. Only his eyes had spoken; a lord’s eyes, cold and grey and full of judgment.
“Is it you, Stark?” Jaime called. “Come ahead. I never feared you living, I do not fear you dead.”
Brienne touched his arm. “There are more.”
He saw them too. They were armored all in snow, it seemed to him, and ribbons of mist swirled back from their shoulders. The visors of their helms were closed, but Jaime Lannister did not need to look upon their faces to know them.
Five had been his brothers. Oswell Whent and Jon Darry. Lewyn Martell, a prince of Dorne. The White Bull, Gerold Hightower. Ser Arthur Dayne, Sword of the Morning. And beside them, crowned in mist and grief with his long hair streaming behind him, rode Rhaegar Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne.
“You don’t frighten me,” he called, turning as they split to either side of him. He did not know which way to face. “I will fight you one by one or all together. But who is there for the wench to duel? She gets cross when you leave her out.”
“I swore an oath to keep him safe,” she said to Rhaegar’s shade. “I swore a holy oath.”
“We all swore oaths,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, so sadly.
The shades dismounted from their ghostly horses. When they drew their longswords, it made not a sound. “He was going to burn the city,” Jaime said. “To leave Robert only ashes.”
“He was your king,” said Darry.
“You swore to keep him safe,” said Whent.
“And the children, them as well,” said Prince Lewyn.
Prince Rhaegar burned with a cold light, now white, now red, now dark. “I left my wife and children in your hands.”
“I never thought he’d hurt them.” Jaime’s sword was burning less brightly now. “I was with the king . . .”
“Killing the king,” said Ser Arthur.
“Cutting his throat,” said Prince Lewyn.
“The king you had sworn to die for,” said the White Bull.
The fires that ran along the blade were guttering out, and Jaime remembered what Cersei had said. No. Terror closed a hand about his throat. Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne’s burned, as the ghosts came rushing in.
“No,” he said, “no, no, no. Nooooooooo!”
Heart pounding, he jerked awake,

Note that this is before Jaime rescues Brienne from the bear pit and before he gets the sword from Tywin, so there are definitely some prophetic elements there, he also has this dream when he sleeps on a weirwood stump, what's more it's a Fever Dream so it's clearly important in GRRM terms.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There's also the matter of Jaime's fever dream

Note that this is before Jaime rescues Brienne from the bear pit and before he gets the sword from Tywin, so there are definitely some prophetic elements there, he also has this dream when he sleeps on a weirwood stump, what's more it's a Fever Dream so it's clearly important in GRRM terms.

Does anyone have the full text of Brienne's fever dream from just before she meets Lady Stoneheart? Would be worth comparing.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Fatkraken posted:

Does anyone have the full text of Brienne's fever dream from just before she meets Lady Stoneheart? Would be worth comparing.

quote:

This is an evil dream, she thought. But if she were dreaming, why did it hurt so much?
The rain had stopped falling, but all the world was wet. Her cloak felt as heavy as her mail. The ropes that bound her wrists were soaked
through, but that only made them tighter. No matter how Brienne turned her hands, she could not slip free. She did not understand who had
bound her, or why. She tried to ask the shadows, but they did not answer. Perhaps they did not hear her. Perhaps they were not real. Under
her layers of wet wool and rusting mail, her skin was flushed and feverish. She wondered whether all of this was just a fever dream.
She had a horse beneath her, though she could not remember mounting. She lay facedown across his hindquarters, like a sack of oats. Her
wrists and ankles had been lashed together. The air was damp, the ground cloaked in mist. Her head pounded with every step. She could
hear voices, but all she could see was the earth beneath the horse’s hooves. There were things broken inside of her. Her face felt swollen, her
cheek was sticky with blood, and every jounce and bounce send a stab of agony through her arm. She could hear Podrick calling her, as if
from far away. “Ser?” he kept saying. “Ser? My lady? Ser? My lady?” His voice was faint and hard to hear. Finally, there was only silence.
She dreamt she was at Harrenhal, down in the bear pit once again. This time it was Biter facing her, huge and bald and maggot-white, with
weeping sores upon his cheeks. Naked he came, fondling his member, gnashing his filed teeth together. Brienne fled from him. “My sword,”
she called. “Oathkeeper. Please.” The watchers did not answer. Renly was there, with Nimble Dick and Catelyn Stark. Shagwell, Pyg, and
Timeon had come, and the corpses from the trees with their sunken cheeks, swollen tongues, and empty eye sockets. Brienne wailed in horror
at the sight of them, and Biter grabbed her arm and yanked her close and tore a chunk from her face. “Jaime,” she heard herself scream,
“Jaime.”
Even in the depths of dream the pain was there. Her face throbbed. Her shoulder bled. Breathing hurt. The pain crackled up her arm like
lightning. She cried out for a maester.
“We have no maester,” said a girl’s voice. “Only me.”
I am looking for a girl, Brienne remembered. A highborn maid of three-and-ten, with blue eyes and auburn hair. “My lady?” she said. “Lady
Sansa?”
A man laughed. “She thinks you’re Sansa Stark.”
“She can’t go much farther. She’ll die.”
“One less lion. I won’t weep.”
Brienne heard the sound of someone praying. She thought of Septon Meribald, but all the words were wrong. The night is dark and full of
terrors, and so are dreams.
They were riding through a gloomy wood, a dank, dark, silent place where the pines pressed close. The ground was soft beneath her
horse’s hooves, and the tracks she left behind filled up with blood. Beside her rode Lord Renly, Dick Crabb, and Vargo Hoat. Blood ran from
Renly’s throat. The Goat’s torn ear oozed pus. “Where are we going?” Brienne asked. “Where are you taking me?” None of them would
answer. How can they answer? All of them are dead. Did that mean that she was dead as well?
Lord Renly was ahead of her, her sweet smiling king. He was leading her horse through the trees. Brienne called out to tell him how much
she loved him, but when he turned to scowl at her, she saw that he was not Renly after all. Renly never scowled. He always had a smile for
me, she thought . . . except . . .
“Cold,” her king said, puzzled, and a shadow moved without a man to cast it, and her sweet lord’s blood came washing through the green
steel of his gorget to drench her hands. He had been a warm man, but his blood was cold as ice. This is not real, she told herself. This is
another bad dream, and soon I’ll wake.
Her mount came to a sudden halt. Rough hands seized hold of her. She saw shafts of red afternoon light slanting through the branches of a
chestnut tree. A horse rooted amongst the dead leaves after chestnuts, and men moved nearby, talking in quiet voices. Ten, twelve, maybe
more. Brienne did not recognize their faces. She was stretched out on the ground, her back against a tree trunk. “Drink this, m’lady,” said the
girl’s voice. She lifted a cup to Brienne’s lips. The taste was strong and sour. Brienne spat it out. “Water,” she gasped. “Please. Water.”
“Water won’t help the pain. This will. A little.” The girl put the cup to Brienne’s lips again.
It even hurt to drink. Wine ran down her chin and dribbled on her chest. When the cup was empty the girl filled it from a skin. Brienne
sucked it down until she sputtered. “No more.”
“More. You have a broken arm, and some of your ribs is cracked. Two, maybe three.”
“Biter,” Brienne said, remembering the weight of him, the way his knee had slammed into her chest.
“Aye. A real monster, that one.”
It all came back to her; lightning above and mud below, the rain pinging softly against the dark steel of the Hound’s helm, the terrible
strength in Biter’s hands. Suddenly she could not stand being bound. She tried to wrench free of her ropes, but all that did was chafe her
worse. Her wrists were tied too tightly. There was dried blood on the hemp. “Is he dead?” She trembled. “Biter. Is he dead?” She
remembered his teeth tearing into the flesh of her face. The thought that he might still be out there somewhere, breathing, made Brienne
want to scream.
“He’s dead. Gendry shoved a spearpoint through the back of his neck. Drink, m’lady, or I’ll pour it down your throat.”
She drank. “I am looking for a girl,” she whispered, between swallows. She almost said my sister. “A highborn maid of three-and-ten. She
has blue eyes and auburn hair.”
“I’m not her.”
No. Brienne could see that. The girl was thin to the point of looking starved. She wore her brown hair in a braid, and her eyes were older
than her years. Brown hair, brown eyes, plain. Willow, six years older. “You’re the sister. The innkeep.”
“I might be.” The girl squinted. “What if I am?”
“Do you have a name?” Brienne asked. Her stomach gurgled. She was afraid that she might retch.
“Heddle. Same as Willow. Jeyne Heddle.”
“Jeyne. Untie my hands. Please. Have pity. The ropes are chafing my wrists. I’m bleeding.”
“It’s not allowed. You’re to stay bound, till . . .”
“. . . till you stand before m’lady.” Renly stood behind the girl, pushing his black hair out of his eyes. Not Renly. Gendry. “M’lady means for
you to answer for your crimes.”
“M’lady.” The wine was making her head spin. It was hard to think. “Stoneheart. Is that who you mean?” Lord Randyll had spoken of her,
back at Maidenpool. “Lady Stoneheart.”
“Some call her that. Some call her other things. The Silent Sister. Mother Merciless. The Hangwoman.”
The Hangwoman. When Brienne closed her eyes, she saw the corpses swaying underneath the bare brown limbs, their faces black and
swollen. Suddenly she was desperately afraid. “Podrick. My squire. Where is Podrick? And the others . . . Ser Hyle, Septon Meribald. Dog.
What did you do with Dog?”
Gendry and the girl exchanged a look. Brienne fought to rise, and managed to get one knee under her before the world began to spin. “It
was you killed the dog, m’lady,” she heard Gendry say, just before the darkness swallowed her again.
Then she was back at the Whispers, standing amongst the ruins and facing Clarence Crabb. He was huge and fierce, mounted on an
aurochs shaggier than he was. The beast pawed the ground in fury, tearing deep furrows in the earth. Crabb’s teeth had been filed into
points. When Brienne went to draw her sword, she found her scabbard empty. “No,” she cried, as Ser Clarence charged. It wasn’t fair. She
could not fight without her magic sword. Ser Jaime had given it to her. The thought of failing him as she had failed Lord Renly made her
want to weep. “My sword. Please, I have to find my sword.”
“The wench wants her sword back,” a voice declared.
“And I want Cersei Lannister to suck my cock. So what?”
“Jaime called it Oathkeeper. Please.” But the voices did not listen, and Clarence Crabb thundered down on her and swept off her head.
Brienne spiraled down into a deeper darkness.
She dreamed that she was lying in a boat, her head pillowed on someone’s lap. There were shadows all around them, hooded men in mail
and leather, paddling them across a foggy river with muffled oars. She was drenched in sweat, burning, yet somehow shivering too. The fog
was full of faces. “Beauty,” whispered the willows on the bank, but the reeds said, “freak, freak.” Brienne shuddered. “Stop,” she said.
“Someone make them stop.”
The next time she woke, Jeyne was holding a cup of hot soup to her lips. Onion broth, Brienne thought. She drank as much of it as she
could, until a bit of carrot caught in her throat and made her choke. Coughing was agony. “Easy,” the girl said.
“Gendry,” she wheezed. “I have to talk with Gendry.”
“He turned back at the river, m’lady. He’s gone back to his forge, to Willow and the little ones, to keep them safe.”
No one can keep them safe. She began to cough again. “Ah, let her choke. Save us a rope.” One of the shadow men shoved the girl aside.
He was clad in rusted rings and a studded belt. At his hip hung longsword and dirk. A yellow greatcloak was plastered to his shoulders,
sodden and filthy. From his shoulders rose a steel dog’s head, its teeth bared in a snarl.
“No,” Brienne moaned. “No, you’re dead, I killed you.”
The Hound laughed. “You got that backwards. It’ll be me killing you. I’d do it now, but m’lady wants to see you hanged.”
Hanged. The word sent a jolt of fear through her. She looked at the girl, Jeyne. She is too young to be so hard. “Bread and salt,” Brienne
gasped. “The inn . . . Septon Meribald fed the children . . . we broke bread with your sister . . .”
“Guest right don’t mean so much as it used to,” said the girl. “Not since m’lady come back from the wedding. Some o’ them swinging down
by the river figured they was guests too.”
“We figured different,” said the Hound. “They wanted beds. We gave ’em trees.”
“We got more trees, though,” put in another shadow, one-eyed beneath a rusty pothelm. “We always got more trees.”
When it was time to mount again, they yanked a leather hood down over her face. There were no eyeholes. The leather muffled the sounds
around her. The taste of onions lingered on her tongue, sharp as the knowledge of her failure. They mean to hang me. She thought of Jaime,
of Sansa, of her father back on Tarth, and was glad for the hood. It helped hide the tears welling in her eyes. From time to time she heard the
outlaws talking, but she could not make out their words. After a while she gave herself up to weariness and the slow, steady motion of her
horse.
This time she dreamed that she was home again, at Evenfall. Through the tall arched windows of her lord father’s hall she could see the sun
just going down. I was safe here. I was safe.
She was dressed in silk brocade, a quartered gown of blue and red decorated with golden suns and silver crescent moons. On another girl it
might have been a pretty gown, but not on her. She was twelve, ungainly and uncomfortable, waiting to meet the young knight her father
had arranged for her to marry, a boy six years her senior, sure to be a famous champion one day. She dreaded his arrival. Her bosom was
too small, her hands and feet too big. Her hair kept sticking up, and there was a pimple nestled in the fold beside her nose. “He will bring a
rose for you,” her father promised her, but a rose was no good, a rose could not keep her safe. It was a sword she wanted. Oathkeeper. I
have to find the girl. I have to find his honor.
Finally the doors opened, and her betrothed strode into her father’s hall. She tried to greet him as she had been instructed, only to have
blood come pouring from her mouth. She had bitten her tongue off as she waited. She spat it at the young knight’s feet, and saw the disgust
on his face. “Brienne the Beauty,” he said in a mocking tone. “I have seen sows more beautiful than you.” He tossed the rose in her face. As
he walked away, the griffins on his cloak rippled and blurred and changed to lions. Jaime! she wanted to cry. Jaime, come back for me! But
her tongue lay on the floor by the rose, drowned in blood.
Brienne woke suddenly, gasping.

Pretty sure I got all of it. Perhaps more than is necessary too.

Also hi to the new thread.

Yureina fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 14, 2013

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Oh dear, "Sigur Ros as The Bastard's Boys Progressive Space Yodelers"

You probably don't know these guys, but here in the UK we had a couple of hipster DJ's who tried to pass these guys off as amazing. They were pretentious enough to make a song in their own made up language, and released it as a single. A bunch of high students actually bought the song, and Radio 1, our national radio station for young people, pushed them for a while (Radio 1 are now over them and extremely sorry for letting Edith Bowman pretend they were a legit act).

In all seriousness, I am slightly scared about how these guys might be used. I am guessing as a group of kick-rear end entertainers, which is far too cool for Sigur Ros.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

Oh dear, "Sigur Ros as The Bastard's Boys Progressive Space Yodelers"

You probably don't know these guys, but here in the UK we had a couple of hipster DJ's who tried to pass these guys off as amazing. They were pretentious enough to make a song in their own made up language, and released it as a single. A bunch of high students actually bought the song, and Radio 1, our national radio station for young people, pushed them for a while (Radio 1 are now over them and extremely sorry for letting Edith Bowman pretend they were a legit act).

In all seriousness, I am slightly scared about how these guys might be used. I am guessing as a group of kick-rear end entertainers, which is far too cool for Sigur Ros.

A single? They did a whole album. And it rocks.

First The National, now Sigur Ros, what is it with this thread and hating good music?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If this show really wants good music and good musicians, they need to get Judas Priest in there somehow. They could be wildlings, perhaps.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If this show really wants good music and good musicians, they need to get Judas Priest in there somehow. They could be wildlings, perhaps.

Breakin' the wall, breakin' the wall :black101:

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A single? They did a whole album. And it rocks.

First The National, now Sigur Ros, what is it with this thread and hating good music?

Different strokes for different folks, man. For me, post-rock begins and ends with Mogwai (who rock).

I think a lot of the reason that Sigur Ros is involved with this season is because they film in Iceland..Hopefully, we get Bjork in a future season :getin:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Yureina posted:

Pretty sure I got all of it. Perhaps more than is necessary too.

Also hi to the new thread.

As opposed to 90% of the dreams in ASOIAF I think that one doesn't have any foreshadowing/prophecy in it, it's basically just Brienne hallucinating as she's carried to the Stoneheart and mistaking Gendry for Renly.

Which made me think it's rather curious that Thoros is the only person who knew Robert and Renly well who can't tell that they're related to Gendry.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Narmi posted:

Jaime also confessed to crippling/attempting to murder Bran. And he violated his oath to Catelyn (not to take up arms against the Tullys) in about the most egregious way possible (marching a huge Lannister army to expel the Tullys from Riverrun and install Frey-Lannisters in their place, threatening to catapult Edmure's unborn baby along the way). She has plenty of legitimate reasons to kill him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Jaime violating the vow not to attack the Tullys is debatable. There was already a large Lannister/Frey army sieging Riverrun, and they were going to sack the place sooner or later with or without Jaime. He may have made threats, but he never promised not to threaten - it's not entirely clear he'd have carried out the threat, either, he's just making use of his reputation as a monster. The outcome he got out of it was probably the absolute best case for everyone involved and I especially like it since it shows Jaime using a sliver of the Lannister cunning his father and brother are known for.

Before his development, Jaime would've simply ordered Edmure hanged and Riverrun stormed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I always took Jaime's actions at Riverrun as him trying to tread the line between his promise (because he does consider himself an honourable man who keeps his promises as much as he can) and doing what he thinks is right. The last time he trod that line in haste, he gained a wonderful nickname and the hostility of many noblemen whom he held much respect for.

That's one thing I really like about Jaime, and Coster-Waldau's performance of him. There's a lot of pain in the man over being the Kingslayer. He did an objectively good thing, something other people were planning to do themselves. But people poo poo on him for doing it because he broke his oath to a madman to do it, and since everyone shits on him anyway, suspecting him of being an honourless monster, he's spent all these years not giving a gently caress.

People are far too rigid and hypocritical when it comes to Jaime Lannister.

• Locked thread