Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Kill Dozed posted:

I think there is some truth to this, but didn't Varys warn Aerys about Tywin? It was Qyburn who got Aerys to let Tywin into King's Landing. I imagine if Varys was playing both sides, he would have had no problem letting Tywin in.
If Varys knew Pycelle was loyal to the Lannisters he could've just let him do all the heavy lifting. Then after the inevitable betrayal, who could blame Varys?

Or, if he knew about the wildfire he had a good reason not to let the city fall until that was dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Kill Dozed posted:

I think there is some truth to this, but didn't Varys warn Aerys about Tywin? It was Qyburn who got Aerys to let Tywin into King's Landing. I imagine if Varys was playing both sides, he would have had no problem letting Tywin in.

According to Jaime, that was the one time Aerys should have listened to Varys, but instead took Pycelle's advice. Before, Varys was fueling Aerys' paranoia, which is what put them in the situation where everybody hated Aerys.

Maybe he just didn't want King's Landing sacked and knew Ned would show more restraint than Tywin. Alternatively, you could claim that Varys knew that if Tywin was let in he would side with the rebels, and that would make the reign of whoever took the throne more secure. Essentially it would mean Varys would have one more realm to contend with.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dennis Quaid

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

If people aren't reading Race For the Iron Throne, then they really should be. It highlights these kind of issues (if anyone is interested, Jon III is the first time the author discusses the dysfunctional institution of the Night's Watch.)
Seconding this as a pro-click if you are a nerd with time to burn (of course you are).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Reminder that the trailer premieres at 8:58 EST. That's just 20 minutes away.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Reminder that the trailer premieres at 8:58 EST. That's just 20 minutes away.
Online or on HBO or what?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Online or on HBO or what?

Both. Like always.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

That was awesome. But help me out, did Jaime cut his hair in the books? That was the only thing I really thought odd, but I don't remember.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bluedust posted:

That was awesome. But help me out, did Jaime cut his hair in the books? That was the only thing I really thought odd, but I don't remember.
He got shaved bald at one point, if I remember correctly.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Gosh, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is just so dang awesome :allears:

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Prepare yourselves for the last good season of Game of Thrones!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I saw Rast dropping off a baby for the Others. That's messed up.

Also I'm surprised how un-Reek like Theon still looks. Speaking of which, looks like Myranda (one of the Flaydies from last season who prepped Theon for his castration) is Ramsay's gently caress buddy.

I'm trying to work out who Melisandre is speaking to when she's talking about hell.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

motherbox posted:

Prepare yourselves for the last good season of Game of Thrones!

AFFC and ADWD aren't bad in their content, the only thing god awful about them is the format of having the books separated by geography rather than chronology. Which will be fixed in the show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He got shaved bald at one point, if I remember correctly.

Yeah, he rocks the Obediah Stane while he's on the lam with Brienne, and then keeps the beard while letting his hair grow back when he becomes Commander of the Kingsguard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Speaking of, no Brienne in the trailer. Also curious to see what they invent for those Jaime and Joffrey conversations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what episode will have Joffrey eating it and then Oberyn vs. Gregor? Because those two are my most awaited scenes.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Speaking of, no Brienne in the trailer. Also curious to see what they invent for those Jaime and Joffrey conversations.

Didn't we get a shot of her at the front of a canoe?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Also I'm surprised how un-Reek like Theon still looks.

He was wearing his armor - looks like a dream sequence.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

motherbox posted:

I'll have to look again. I'm sure I could have missed it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Calaveron posted:

So what episode will have Joffrey eating it and then Oberyn vs. Gregor? Because those two are my most awaited scenes.

It looks like 2 and 7 or 8, but those are guesses.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
What's with the fakeout of dragons flying over KL? Just HBO messing with the show only viewers?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

MrBims posted:

He was wearing his armor - looks like a dream sequence.

No, I think that's him dressed up while visiting Moat Cailin. He's the one on the horse holding a banner while walking through a field of corpses, and you can see him being welcomed through a gate as well.

On second watch he does look a little different. He's pale as hell.

e: actually, that might not be Theon holding the white flag in the field of corpses, but that is definitely a shot of him holding a Bolton banner going through a set of gates.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 13, 2014

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Hmm I must say if i didn't know what was coming this season the trailer wouldn't exactly excite me more than just the standard 'omg GoT' hype. Obviously they'll ramp it up in following trailers, hopefully they don't drown us in them they did before Season 3.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

motherbox posted:

No, it was Asha/Yara in the canoe.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Mammon Loves You posted:

What's with the fakeout of dragons flying over KL? Just HBO messing with the show only viewers?

Probably some kinda nightmare or vision someone will have. No way they make things progress that far.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

It looks like 2 and 7 or 8, but those are guesses.

Seriously doubt they will kill either of those characters off that early. I'm suspect there will be quite a bit of exposition with The Mountain before the big fight, and no way Joffrey dies so early.

Simon Magus Says
Jun 30, 2006
Nice, but I'm not sure anything will ever top the Florence and the Machine season 2 trailer.

The only thing in there that was genuinely surprising was Rast and the baby. Are they turning him into Craster 2.0?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Shodai posted:

Seriously doubt they will kill either of those characters off that early. I'm suspect there will be quite a bit of exposition with The Mountain before the big fight, and no way Joffrey dies so early.

The wedding is the second episode so yes, Joffrey bites it that early. Tyrion's arrest/trial will take up much of the season afterwards.

The battle at Castle Black is episode 9, so Oberyn will most likely die an episode or two earlier. That leaves episode 10 time for Tyrion's escape.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Simon Magus Says posted:

Nice, but I'm not sure anything will ever top the Florence and the Machine season 2 trailer.

The only thing in there that was genuinely surprising was Rast and the baby. Are they turning him into Craster 2.0?

They have to pad out Bran's storyline somehow. Indications that the mutineers will play into his story, right?

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Ballz posted:

The wedding is the second episode so yes, Joffrey bites it that early. Tyrion's arrest/trial will take up much of the season afterwards.

The battle at Castle Black is episode 9, so Oberyn will most likely die an episode or two earlier. That leaves episode 10 time for Tyrion's escape.

Have episode names been released already or something?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Simon Magus Says posted:

cRASTer

!!!!

drat you GRRM!

Shodai posted:

It has been widely reported, even by the director of it, that episode 9 will encapsulate the battle of Castle black similar to Blackwater from season 2.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Did I see a little of Mag the Mighty? :black101:

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Mammon Loves You posted:

They have to pad out Bran's storyline somehow. Indications that the mutineers will play into his story, right?

I do wonder why they have Bran groping a weirwood at 1:01.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Shodai posted:

Only episode 9's title has leaked so far and it is (unsurprisingly) "Castle Black." The director's made it no secret it'll be like season 2's "Blackwater" in that it'll focus entirely on the battle.

As for Joff's wedding, this got leaked a few months ago:

(click to embiggen the Comic Sans goodness)

And for what it's worth, GRRM wrote the episode.

Edit:

Nice hand you got there. :smug:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 13, 2014

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, he rocks the Obediah Stane while he's on the lam with Brienne, and then keeps the beard while letting his hair grow back when he becomes Commander of the Kingsguard.

Which makes this an interesting inversion, here he'll shave his beard but cut his hair. Whichever, it kind of symbolizes his spiritual change, so the way he changes how he looks reflects how much he's changed from his roots.

I'm excited to see what they do with this Jaime and Joffrey conversation. It all looks really cool though.

Also, I hope we finally get Coldhands but I'm not hopeful :(

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Glad to see Alliser Thorne back, his portrayal in Season 1 is one of the things the show did much better than the books.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Which makes this an interesting inversion, here he'll shave his beard but cut his hair. Whichever, it kind of symbolizes his spiritual change, so the way he changes how he looks reflects how much he's changed from his roots.

I'm excited to see what they do with this Jaime and Joffrey conversation. It all looks really cool though.

Also, I hope we finally get Coldhands but I'm not hopeful :(

Yeah, that's a shame, No Coldhands or no Black Gate. There's not nearly enough magic in the show for my tastes. Even Pyat Pree seemed more like some Chris Angel rip-off who's only power was the ability to do weird parlor tricks. I mean I don't understand what the guys over at HBO are so worried about because in like a season there's going to be ancient forest elves unless they wimp out on that too and it turns out the children of the forest are literal human children or something equally terrible.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Mischitary posted:

Yeah, that's a shame, No Coldhands or no Black Gate. There's not nearly enough magic in the show for my tastes. Even Pyat Pree seemed more like some Chris Angel rip-off who's only power was the ability to do weird parlor tricks. I mean I don't understand what the guys over at HBO are so worried about because in like a season there's going to be ancient forest elves unless they wimp out on that too and it turns out the children of the forest are literal human children or something equally terrible.

I think costs are the biggest factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

Ballz posted:

Only episode 9's title has leaked so far and it is (unsurprisingly) "Castle Black." The director's made it no secret it'll be like season 2's "Blackwater" in that it'll focus entirely on the battle.

As for Joff's wedding, this got leaked a few months ago:

(click to embiggen the Comic Sans goodness)

And for what it's worth, GRRM wrote the episode.

Edit:

Nice hand you got there. :smug:

While on the topic of leaks, has there been any mention of Lady Stoneheart?

• Locked thread